[Game Update] - 497631

I love how much old stuff they revisit in this Update, thanks! 

But for the seed Pack I also think that it needs a bigger buff, so anyone will start using it. At least 0,5 modifier, even then I'm not sure. Would be sad if it is again not usable. 

Edited by lionking102
  • Like 10
  • Potato Cup 1

4 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

Warly's chef pouch is half as effective as ice box, i.e. object with 15 days spoilage time turns into onject with 15/0.75=20 days of spoilage time. Or you can calculate it in another way: multiply spoilage time by 1.33. So it's like chef pouch in terms of spoilage.

Ice box, for example, have 0.5 spoilage modifier, which is 2.0 freshness time modifier in other words.

Wait, I don't understand the math there at all. If the pouch is only half as effective as fridge, which has a 2.0 freshness time modifier, shouldn't the modifier for Chef Pouch be 1.5? Or rather 1.25? (With fridge being 1.5 and saltbox being 2.0) Where does 1.33 ever come from? ELI5 needed 

• Like 1

I'm adding my voice towards making the Seed Pack-It 50% have spoilage reduction.

Then it sits nicely as an alternative to storing things on iceboxes. With the pack-it requiring broken shells and the icebox requiring gears one isn't necessarily better than the other depending on what the player looking for a storage solution prioritizes.

As in, is the worldgen scarce in gears? I can go kill some slurtles and get somewhere to put my seeds.
Gears not an issue and I'd rather not spend my time lurking in the caves? Icebox it is.

As another user has mentioned seeds spoiling twice as slow lets them survive an entire Constant year to be replanted and thus recycled. Timers line just about right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Wait, I don't understand the math there at all. If the pouch is only half as effective as fridge, which has a 2.0 freshness time modifier, shouldn't the modifier for Chef Pouch be 1.5? Or rather 1.25? (With fridge being 1.5 and saltbox being 2.0) Where does 1.33 ever come from? ELI5 needed 

Lets assume we have object with 15 days of spoilage. What happens on practice if you put it into ice box is it becomes object with 30 days of spoilage time. You can say spoilage time modifier is 15/30=0.5, and if you want to calculate result spoilage time in any given container using spoilage time modifier defined like this you should follow formula:

object's spoilage time/spoilage time modifier=result spoilage time in this container.

15/0 -> lim to eternity (bundles)

15/0.25=60 (salt box)

15/0.5=30 (ice box)

15/0.75=20 days (chef pouch, seed pack-it, average for winter)

15/1.3=11.54 (wet item)

15/1.5=10 (on the ground, in shadow chester, with funcap equipped, etc.)

You can define term "spoilage time modifier" in another way and say its value that is calculated as result of result spoilage time/initial time to spoil contrary to previous example. In that case by new definition you can say spoilage time modifier for ice box is 2.0 (+100%), for chef pouch - 1.33 (+33%), for item on the ground - 0.67 (-33%), etc. In that case to find result spoilage time you should multiply initial time by that modifier contrary to previous example with different definition.

But game uses definition from first paragraph as far as I know. Being "half as effective" is not accurate enough term, but it's probably a reference of 0.75 being between 0.5 and 1.

Its a matter of definition.

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

• Seed Pack-It now has a -25% spoilage modifier.

Make it 75% or else... Glommer will be hurt!

No, seriously. -25% is not enough. make it worth using over the fridge. Its getting a little tedious to refresh your seeds freshness all the time.

Edited by Keller Max
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

Wait, I'm too dumb to math this myself. Does that mean like, half as effective as an ice box? Or is it like if you could put the seeds in a salt box?

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

It's 1/3 as effective as an ice box and 1/9 as effective as a salt box, extending the seeds by only 33% instead of 100% or 300%. Thinking it's half as effective is a simple mistake caused by seeing that 25 is half the size of 50, but not taking into account that subtracting percentages has a much bigger change than adding percentages. -25% and +33% are the same, just as -50% and +100% are. Divide 1 by your decimal after the subtracted percentage (such as 1/0.75) to see how it compares to a positive change.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 1
  • Sanity 2

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Whatever their associated gem does. Ultimately up to Klei to decide what specifically each one could do.

If they add a hound that can blink teleport with magic powers Im totally down with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Since technically, the orange gem's element is sand, maybe the Orange Varglet could summon Antlion-like sand spikes. 

The Yellow Varglet is a bit tricky, but perhaps it could run and attack faster.

As for the Green Varglet, I really have no ideas. Construction and Destruction are pretty vague.

On a side-note, how cool would it be, if a Varglet could reanimate into something like a "Wretched Varglet" on the Lunar Island?

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

18 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

As for the Green Varglet, I really have no ideas. Construction and Destruction are pretty vague.

Could do something with it deconstructing items on your person on death, possibly a weaker deconstruct. A very risky foe if it happens to catch you with it's deconstruct, but could be taken advantage of in interesting ways!

Yellow's definetly the trickiest, not really... much interesting with the yellow gem, running faster and emitting light while useful for players isn't the most conceptually cool idea for a late-game mob. Well, regular hounds only have two variants anyways, I wouldn't mind just orange and green in this case either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

Yellow's definetly the trickiest, not really... much interesting with the yellow gem

yeah, I did think about it spawning lightning, like that one hound in Uncomp., but I realised that'd be grief-y, like red hounds, and those are annoying

28 minutes ago, Hornete said:

That doesn't really have much to do with the yellow gem though does it?

Unless you have a better idea

It's in the name though. Yellow gem's element is light, and lightning seemed logical enough 

Ok Devs! Lets make a deal. Seed Pack it will prevent seeds from turning into rot (they will still spoil).

And to craft it, you need dead friendly fly fruit on top of it's old ingredients.

Would be neat and it can free some dedicated farmers from garden slavery. No need to refresh all seeds all the time

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lionking102 said:

I love how much old stuff they revisit in this Update, thanks! 

But for the seed Pack I also think that it needs a bigger buff, so anyone will start using it. At least 0,5 modifier, even then I'm not sure. Would be sad if it is again not usable. 

I rarely use balancing mods but seed pack is exception. It is only good with 100% spoilage reduction so you never lose your hard-earned seeds

Is it overpowered? no. I could use building wrap but it' just easier to store all seeds in one place.

My suggestion is to make seed pack 100% spoilage reduction and make recipe drop from bosses. Maybe something like 33% chance to get it from fruit fly boss

Edited by landromat
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

Unless you have a better idea

It's in the name though. Yellow gem's element is light, and lightning seemed logical enough 

When the element is light, resort to flashbangs, not electricity. I think a yellow gem inspired enemy would blind the players' screen for a second when it bites and gives out a longer, fullscrern flashbang when killed. A bit like the fighting stylr of skittersquids.

20 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

When the element is light, resort to flashbangs, not electricity. I think a yellow gem inspired enemy would blind the players' screen for a second when it bites and gives out a longer, fullscrern flashbang when killed. A bit like the fighting stylr of skittersquids.

nah fam my epic gamer eyes would literally melt away. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

nah fam my epic gamer eyes would literally melt away. 

It's a cool idea tho and we rarely interact with this skittersquid's mechanic, but yes, it would hurt my eyes as well, I can barely endure winter's white floor.

I have another request for the filter system :)
The birdcage should also be found under "structures" as it was there initially and I still click on structure everytime I want to build a birdcage xD can't get that out of my system

• Like 3