[Game Update] - 496912

• Developer

Hey friends,

We’ve got a minor update going out today! 

If you’ve had a chance to check out our roadmap post here, you know that our main focus these days is on improvements for later updates. 

But we made time to work on a few key things to make sure they’d be available in time for the Steam Deck launch.

Highlights:

• Better controller support for Steam users using Big Picture Mode: 
    • Wider range of actions that can be activated by a controller.
    • Mouse/trackpad is still the most comfortable way to play, but a controller can now activate a virtual cursor
    • Added default controller configurations for: Steam Deck, Xbox 360 Controller, Xbox Wireless Controller, DUALSHOCK™4 Wireless Controller
  • Steam Deck support.
  • Minor UI adjustments to support smaller resolutions.
  • Fixed issue where Duplicants could get stuck depressurizing an Oil Well.

Keep those bug reports, comments and suggestions coming! 

For full patch notes, see below: 

Full Patch Notes

Spoiler

Features

• All versions
    • Steam Deck support
    • Improved controller support for Steam users.
      • Added several new bindable actions including cursor control.
      • Text input fields now bring up Steam’s on-screen keyboard.
      • Added default controller configurations for Steam Deck, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.
      • Tooltips can now show supported controller button icons instead of keyboard hotkeys (Supported controllers include: Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, Steam Controller, and Steam Deck).
    • Smaller resolution support.
      • The management menu buttons (Vitals, Consumables, etc.) will hide their labels to conserve horizontal space when screen resolution width drops below 1200x800 or similar.
      • Build menu categories are now prevented from overlapping the tool menu. A scrollable row appears when screen resolution width drops low enough to make it necessary.
      • Build menu buttons and text will increase in size when using a controller or when playing on a high DPI device with low resolution (such as the Steam Deck).
    • Updated Chinese, Korean, and Russian localizations. 

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Recipe Queue screen shows icons for ingredients and products.
    • Modding:
      • Updated Steamworks SDK to latest version.
      • Right-click now closes or backs out of windows in the Main Menu.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Automation Broadcast Receiver sidescreen now includes a scrollbar instead of an infinitely growing vertical window.
    • Added "No Channels Available" message to Automation Broadcast Receiver sidescreen when no broadcasters are built.
    • Hooked up Radiation tutorial

Fixes

• All versions
    • Fixed issue where Duplicants could get stuck depressurizing an Oil Well.
    • Fixed issue where starting Duplicants changed. Stinky is once again a starting Duplicant. 
    • Linux: Fixed worldgen issues related to FMOD and pipewire.
    • Notifications list is now layered behind the expanded build menu if/when they overlap.
    • Copying settings from Automated Notifier now copies tooltip as well.
    • Fixed issue preventing tooltip hotkeys from updating when key bindings changed.
    • Fixed Stress and Sick Duplicants tooltip crashes if a Duplicant is removed from the game before the data is refreshed.
    • Performance
      • Small improvements to string memory allocations.
      • Improved audio ambience performance slightly.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Fixed multiple artifacts spawning on a single pedestal. (new saves only) On old saves the Mangled Saxophone, Modern Art, and Office Mug found in pedestals with multiple objects will not count as a terrestrial artifact.
    • Fixed Cosmic Archeology terrestrial artifacts on older saves.
    • Fixed issue where Radiation ambience would stop playing after loading another save.
    • Resized Temporal Tear Opener to match artwork.
    • Fixed crash that could happen if a Beeta escapes the grid.
    • Fixed Juicy Fruits plant mutation tooltip displaying a hidden value as a missing string.
    • Potential fix for Research Complete crash when no further research is queued up and a Duplicant is near a Research Station.
    • Fixed issue allowing unrevealed cells’ information to be displayed on hover while in the Radiation overlay.
    • Fixed issue where a rocket with multiple Artifact Modules could harvest more than one artifact from a single Space POI.
    • Fixed Nuclear Waste bottle color when pumped/emptied.
    • Radbolt Chamber no longer consumes power when it contains 0 radbolts. 
    • Radbolt Chamber now correctly requires a foundation after being built.
    • Radbolt recipe listed radbolt requirements and amounts available in the wrong order.
    • Worldgen:
      • Fixed common Marshy Asteroid, Superconductive Asteroid, and Water Asteroid worldgen failure cases.
      • Minor Regolith Asteroid improvement to include an area capable of supporting a lander.
    • Performance
      • Improved Starmap path calculation memory allocations and performance.

Changes Since Last Testing Update

Spoiler
  • Changes and Improvements
    • All versions
      • Plan screen and tool menu size changes are now only activated when using a gamepad or when certain resolution and screen size constraints are met.
    • Spaced Out! only
      • Hooked up Radiation tutorial
  • Fixes
    • All versions
      • Fixed issue where starting Duplicants changed. Stinky is once again a starting Duplicant. 
      • Scrolling with the controller now pans at a constant speed regardless of size. 
      • Restored fabricator ingredient and result tooltips.
      • Fixed crash that could occur when displaying certain tooltips.
      • Performance
        • Improved audio ambience performance slightly.
    • Spaced Out! only
      • Fixed Nuclear Waste bottle color when pumped/emptied.
      • Radbolt Chamber no longer consumes power when it contains 0 radbolts. 
      • Radbolt Chamber now correctly requires a foundation after being built.
      • Radbolt recipe listed radbolt requirements and amounts available in the wrong order.

View full update

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pether said:

Dupery sounds like very specific mod with little similar. What are other mods that are crashing?

If thats only one or two mods its not a big deal

a bunch of ones were crashing, that was just the only one that was dev, and stayed, i could screenshot later with my old mods list

2 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Fixed issue where Duplicants could get stuck depressurizing an Oil Well.

Great!  I hate it when my dupes get stuck on oil wells.

Could we get a fix on dupes in space teleporting their exhaled CO2 in to the nearest atmosphere below them (happens with oxygen in space or with oxygen masks)?  It's a frustrating bug that can easily mess up pure or carefully designed atmospheres and I can't think of a single reason why the CO2 can't just be deposited in space.

In my case, duplicants breathing in space were destroying an escher waterfall all the way at the bottom of my base.  They could easily be a steam room or something else that is touchy.

Edited by Zarquan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JarrettM said:
  • Steam Deck support.

STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.BASICCONTROLS.MESSAGEBODY missing whitespaces:

• [...] {Hotkey/CinemaPanRight}to pan my view left and right, and {Hotkey/CinemaPanUp}and {Hotkey/CinemaPanDown}to
  • [...] and {Hotkey/CinemaZoomOut}zooms
  • [...] by pressing {Hotkey/SpeedUp}or

(still) missing uppercase D to 'Duplicant' in a couple places:

• STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.TELEPHONE.EFFECT_CHAT
  • STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.TELEPHONE.EFFECT_LONG_DISTANCE
  • STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.STATUSITEMS.ANALYZINGARTIFACT.TOOLTIP
  • STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.STATUSITEMS.ANALYZINGGENES.TOOLTIP
  • STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.TRAITS.LONER.SHORT_DESC_TOOLTIP

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I requested it in the first place a few days ago. I didn't see it on the list earlier today, they might've changed the list before I asked.

thats typed also in log tho "

"

• Like 1

My feedback about UI:

I used to have to go into my UI scale settings every start because even if the screen settings were good, the icons at the bottom were cut off, so I had to move the slider from 100% and then back to 100% to be scaled. 

Now, the icons when starting the game seem to be a bit too high, and the copy building icon appears lower, until I do the above trick again.

Plus, as other mentioned, the build menu seems blown up after selecting the copy building option.

About mods: it seems to be affecting modded buildings in the sense that they appear in the research menu, but they don't appear in the build menu. As I'm writing this, one that has already been updated and fixed is the Airlock Door. The good news is that at least those modded buildings already placed in the world are still there and function normally, so no game braking of current builds, and that is a good thing.

20220225182333_1.jpg

20220226042501_1.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 1:45 PM, pether said:

Dupery sounds like very specific mod with little similar. What are other mods that are crashing?

If thats only one or two mods its not a big deal

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c6f29ed021670f438c6296bd283de1ed.png

Pliers 2021, Notepad, Storage Pod, Print Cassidy [my own little local fork with a handful of unique duplicants. hurts a fair bit to have to let go of this one...], Rebalanced Skills, Piped Deoderizer, Custom Tiles, Nuclear Processing & Chemical Processing [these ones being gone hurt], Spacer Set, Insulated Joint Plate, Steel Ladder all crash.

I will go and see if i can use mod updater in case of deprecated files but i have low hopes

On 2/26/2022 at 3:34 AM, Primalflower said:

huh, many mods are crashing again...

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.fffcce9bee9ddd7715616cf2a41bcfcb.png

It looks like something similar happening here to me 

I believe it may be a custom object in the game that is breaking it on load as it won't even load even after disabling all the mods.

1 hour ago, Primalflower said:
  Hide contents

image.thumb.png.c6f29ed021670f438c6296bd283de1ed.png

Pliers 2021, Notepad, Storage Pod, Print Cassidy [my own little local fork with a handful of unique duplicants. hurts a fair bit to have to let go of this one...], Rebalanced Skills, Piped Deoderizer, Custom Tiles, Nuclear Processing & Chemical Processing [these ones being gone hurt], Spacer Set, Insulated Joint Plate, Steel Ladder all crash.

I will go and see if i can use mod updater in case of deprecated files but i have low hopes

well, do not forget that due to the lack of a full-fledged modding api, many mods are forced to patch several key methods, and if one mod fails, the game reacted falsely-positively to a lot of quite normally working mods.
in your case, there is a failure in the Dupery mod, the Db.Initialize Postfix patch

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

9 hours ago, Primalflower said:

Nuclear Processing & Chemical Processing [these ones being gone hurt]

as far as I know, Ronivan is using Klei's method from ModUtil to add buildings and this one is updated to work correctly. Are you sure those mods are failing? maybe another mod crashed and those were incorrectly listed on the black screen? 

On 2/25/2022 at 4:51 PM, SilverSpoon said:

Since this Update, I feel that there is 1 second lag when selecting a building.
I disabled all mods and it didn't fix it.
I'm sorry if it's just my imagination, but has anyone also felt?

On 2/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, BaZERGer said:

For some reason the content of my copy building's build menus are oversized now, it doesn't open it at all before i've actually had a building menu open, but afterwards the icons it opens are too big for the space allocated to them.

Same for me on both of these issues since the update, with and without mods.

The lag being VERY annoying on a 1000+ cycle run with a lot going on, making it essentially unplayable now.

Add this to the mods crashing. I'm staying away from ONI completely until they can fix.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:51 AM, SilverSpoon said:

Since this Update, I feel that there is 1 second lag when selecting a building.
I disabled all mods and it didn't fix it.
I'm sorry if it's just my imagination, but has anyone also felt?

only what i notice is that info tab is very weird place 

popup.thumb.png.984b65c8fa1d723c16b43f7d2922597e.png