The March QOL Beta is Coming Monday!

48 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Crafting menu has been redesigned. We are looking forward to your suggestions and feedback on the new system when the beta is released.

WOW, this is something I never expected! This crafting menu looks much better than anything I thought would've been added! Kudos to the people who worked on it :D!!

The only thing is it's a shame the colored crafting tab icons are gone, they had a lot of personality it would've been nice if they could comeback :(.. I'm also curious how mods will be able to add new crafting tabs now since it doesn't look like there's any space :o?

Deerclops getting his attack fixed and no longer has 360 range is awesome too, I'm always happy to see QoL changes that really improve stuff :)!

Options screen has a description for each setting.

It seems Klei actually does check the suggestions area :applause:!

Wolfgang tweaks and improvements.

Here's hoping for his speed to return :wilson_celebrate:!

I also hope this new crafting menu will also have a button to hide/show it because it is pretty big (and awesome), but definitely not something I'd want on the screen at all times lol

Crafting menu going in a good direction. It looks rather big, but with so many items added over the years it was really difficult to navigate through. Especially for new players not knowing the recipes. It seems like this would make finding items much easier.

Wolfgang fixes hopefully address some of the recent concerns regarding him being forced to stay in place to get mighty.

EDIT: It seems that you can pin your favourites. Good idea!

I'm concerned about the size of that crafting menu. I've already managed to die from opening the crafting menu at the worst possible moment and failing to dismiss it fast enough, back when I was still in my first year of playing Don't Starve and hit the wrong key while spiders were chasing me through a swamp. An unwisely or accidentally opened panel that covers half the screen would make it difficult to even see enemies coming for you, let alone run away from them. I hope there's a streamlined version in the works, or it automatically collapses if you get attacked similarly to the wardrobe menu, or both. 

This is downright nitpicky, but in particular I really don't like having a panel for the axe's name and flavour text and then another one beside it with the crafting recipe and skin selection. That could be a lot more compact. 

I'm looking forward to the other changes, though. Can't wait to see how the new Deerclops and AG handle in the live game, and I'm excited for Wolfgang to get a tune-up. And despite my general dubiousness about the new crafting menu layout, a search box and what look like pinned recipes could be really helpful. 

6 minutes ago, eldr1ch said:

Crafting menu going in a good direction. It looks rather big, but with so many items added over the years it was really difficult to navigate through. Especially for new players not knowing the recipes. It seems like this would make finding items much easier.

Wolfgang fixes hopefully address some of the recent concerns regarding him being forced to stay in place to get mighty.

EDIT: It seems that you can pin your favourites. Good idea!

Look closely at the might meter on Wolfgang, it’s slightly green, representing a gain, also he is holding a ham bat which makes me think that he gains might while attacking?

This new Crafting UI looks very very cluttered. Even on that seemingly wide screen occupies almost 1/2 of it - for non-wide I reckon will be horrid to pop this UI out, more-so during fight/dangerous situations. Pls have a compact variant too.

Glad to see Wolfgang tweaks are made in response to "the backlash", hopefully will make an impactful result on current tedious iteration, namely on the losing Might rather quick in general, being felt the most during long fights.

AG rework? Depends on its entertaining factor and, even more, how much "gain you get from pain" - aka the loot. A tough fight needs matching rewards, and current loot table for this boss is very lacking most times precisely accounting his "cheese" strat. Likewise pls reconsider buffing said loot table in accordance.

Just now, . . . said:

it looks a bit weird and out of place to have a tiny pigman under your crafting tab hopefully they change it to something like a button lol

to clarify its not something new and its not related to the craft ui, i believe its just a thing that happens when you enable godmode with klei dev commands

The new crafting menu seems to be a step in the right direction! No more scrolling endlessly until you find what you want.

However I think there are just too many submenus, which seem to me it'll make it even more confusing and annoying to navigate or find stuff than fewer crafting tabs with more stuff on each.

I also think it doesn't look great. The icons for the crafting tabs could have been kept like they were before. The new ones look like out of place vector art. Plus, all of them being the same one color and small makes it even more confusing to look at.

But hey, thank you for making this new menu, I bet it'll be great by the end of the beta!

4 minutes ago, . . . said:

it looks a bit weird and out of place to have a tiny pigman under your crafting tab hopefully they change it to something like a button lol

Hm? It's not a button that you click to enable god mode, it just appears when you have god mode enabled or not.

It's just for pure testing, it doesn't really matter what it is as long as the people working on the game understand what it means.

Since this update has a bit of a focus on updating old bosses. Could we see some changes to the groundpound mechanic?(Which Bearger mostly uses)

For those who are unaware, the way the groundpound mechanic works is in a bunch of circles around Bearger it damages everything in those circles, this is to give the illusion of the groundpound happening over a split second instead of everything being damaged at once. However a lot of these circles overlap, which means in some points the player will get double damaged, or even triple damaged because they were in three circles at the same time.

This can cause players to inconsistently be attacked once, or twice, or thrice in groundpounds and they have no way to really accuratly determine how many times theyll get hit by a groundpound. It might be a good idea to give a sort of "groundpound" immunity to a mob when it gets hit once, so it won't get hit by any other circles for that groundpound.

Otherwise, great update!!! I can't wait to test it out.

22 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Hm? It's not a button that you click to enable god mode, it just appears when you have god mode enabled or not.

It's just for pure testing, it doesn't really matter what it is as long as the people working on the game understand what it means.

ah ok, for some reason your comment made me think it was something that toggles godmode.

27 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

to clarify its not something new and its not related to the craft ui, i believe its just a thing that happens when you enable godmode with klei dev commands

thanks! I've never seen it before always used mods to go in godmode so didn't know this weird lil thing was a thing lol

Maybe I'm being a bit exaggerated but honestly I find it very overwhelming for someone who is just starting the game
They could try to merge these categories into more simplified ones (Fishing and Sea/Nautical tab in one, Structures and Storage, Armor and Healing, etc.)
Also making the UI less wide, keeping the list type of the previous one but with two or three columns (4 if we count the favorites)
I'm not an expert on this, but I hope this can help you. :wilson_blush:

33 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I thought that was intentional so that the player would be more damaged the closer they are to bearger when he does his stomp.

Outer rings meaning being hit by the shockwaves, and the inner ring taking massive damage because the player was "squashed" entirely.

Archived