EDITED: A Warly Change Idea (please read Klei)

Alright, Warly is a very strong Don’t Starve Together character when played right, and I’m not saying he’s bad or even needs a change at all, but my ideas for this change would make him a much more fun and enjoyable character, so please consider.

Idea #1. A new spice should be created that uses three volt goat horns for two of the spice. It would be identical to a normal volt goat jelly, but could be added to crock pot dishes. It is essentially stronger than volt goat jelly, because it can be put on any crock pot dish. It is more expensive though which balances it out.

Idea #2. With three royal jellies, Warly would be able to make two royal spices that would be like jellybeans, but able to be put on crock pot dishes. It would give double the health of the crock pot dish to you over the course of one minute along with the normal health of the dish.

Idea #3 Add glowing jelly that would be a spice that could be added to crock pot dishes, and would give the same effect as normal glow berry mousse. It would be created with three glow berries, and would give two of the spice.

Idea #4 For three blue caps, Warly could create two blue cap spices that would give crock pot dishes 25% more sanity gain.

Idea #5. (Passives) Warly should have a passive 8% chance to get butter from butterflies. This means that one out of 12.5 butterflies would drop butter which he could use in his crock pot dishes.

All of Warly’s exclusive dishes should only be remembered for one day instead of Two.

Warly can make a mussel trap that could be placed in a pond for a 1% chance every second to catch a mussel. Mussels could be used to make the shipwrecked exclusive. Every mussel caught would decrease the trap’s durability by 10%. 

Warly could place his portable crock pot on campfires for much faster cooking time depending on how full the fire is.

CD64152F-E275-4496-928E-D0C90D4E6A3D.jpeg

Keep in mind that the game has Powdercake, which is frequently used to apply spices on, because it lasts for 18750 days, and not to mention a lot of other dishes that can have a relatively long spoiling timer compared to Jelly/Mousse's ones which only last 10/8 days respectively. The royal spices seem way too powerful, you're effectively tripling jellybeans from 18-21 to 54-63. However, I do find the idea of butter dropping more frequently interesting, giving the incentive to actually hunt down exotic ingredients for fancy dishes. I would love if Warly had the ability to prepare specific ingredients only by himself, for example making Flour for some kind of pasta.

An issue with him right now is that he's frequently used as a swap character, because his crockpot penalties can get harsh, and the fact that he gains no bonuses whatsoever from his own dishes is a bit discouraging, the player eventually asks themself "Why not just eat Warly's dishes as a Wolfgang" or whatever.

I don't really understand what's the goal by changing some recipes into spices, there is no benefit from doing it or considerable nerf but I much prefer to have his recipes + spices applied to them to have 2 effects at once than filling my inventory with differently spiced meatballs or whatever for the same result in the end. So the first and third ideas would be quite annoying, the second seems simply unnecessary if not busted given how much Jelly Beans you get from one BQ and how long you can make your stock last.
But the last idea is kinda cute, just don't count on it given there is certainly no rework planned for Warly so additions would be very very very unlikely. Some mod could do that however.

I'd rather he get his bonus to eating crock pot foods back (he has the penalties from before, but none of the benefits), doing something for the Chef's Pouch to make it more usable, and maybe a little something extra just for him to make playing him more rewarding rather than making his foods and swapping. I don't hate these ideas though, I just wish had had a whole bunch of things he could make spices out of instead of just a select few things.

1 hour ago, ADM said:

don't really understand what's the goal by changing some recipes into spices

People want to make powder cakes with the desired effect. Can stockpile them easier, no bundling wrap required, and Warly becomes even more of a pick and swap character.

Plus the spices won't spoil so you can just carry around all the stuff till you need it use it

2 hours ago, Riddla said:

An issue with him right now is that he's frequently used as a swap character,

This is not a real issue. 

People who choose to swap to him to bundle spicy jellies then go back to wanda, wolf or whatever arent gonna be swayed (and dont need to be) to switch permanently to Warly because his buffs last 1 minute longer on him. 

Warly is already one of the absolute most versatile, well rounded, unique and fun solo survivors who only becomes better in multiplayer settings, by nature of being a support character. Implying otherwise is silly. 

Theres nothing wrong with people switching to warly or nona or whoever else if they want to benefit from their unique stuff in solo settings. People really need to stop pretending there is. Both warly and nona have their dedicated players who enjoy playing as them just like every other survivor no matter how much of a ‘pick and swap’ they are deemed by a certain subsection of players.

Spoiler

edit: thats not to say that the chef’s pouch couldnt be improved upon though. But klei seems unwilling to make small changes like that this long after refreshes.. 

even though nona could certainly use some more toys to play with other than catas. In order to make her more fun to play, not to make her “less of a pick&swap”. Thats the important thing for every character, fun and uniqueness. Two things warly has in abundance even though his chef pouch is kinda shitty and his temperature dishes should probably last longer.

I just want Warly to have some (useful) selfish perks that will only benefit him. Portable crock pot doesn't count, since the only time when it is beneficial is early game, when you are exploring the map and can minimize food items waste by cooking them into better dishes instead of eating them raw. And he can shine only in latemid-lategame, when you already established farms and stockpiled resources.

Seems like OP wants to effectively remove spoilage component from Warly's tools by making them forever lasting spices instead of actual dishes, but has trouble stating it clear, as well as has feeling that it would be "too strong" or whatever, and because of that suggests to throw a random nerf in random way (volt goat jelly's duration time). But somehow still asks for more jellybeans for Warly with no clear reason behind that. I suspect OP (forgive me if I'm wrong) has trouble managing food freshness, health, winning Bee Queen fight, but doesn't mind extreme grind (5% is still not reliable chance to really use butter, therefore this feature might as well not exist, just like 2% drop chance) and perks being gatekept (all effects would be unachievable before grinding mill and seasoning station). I have my own concerns about Warly's design, but with making him even more grindy and early game irrelevant I strongly disagree.

If this suggestion ever passed it would lead to the following results:

- Warly would loose even those tiny things for early game he has now. In particular, glow berry mousse can be cooked very early, even before one has gold for alchemy and lantern (day 2-3), and doesn't require equipment slot for providing light, which is relevant for situations when one can't use alternative light sources or they are very inconvenient to use - suspicious marble transportation, monkey houses hammering, fighting/working in the dark, etc (if head slot is unavailable for light). If it was locked behind his cooking stations it would have much less early applications leaving Warly with less variety in decisions ("hunt for gold ASAP no matter what!") and becoming strictly mid or late game thing when it has much less impact, so essentially you are trying to make more versatile tool more niche for no reason. Same thing for voltgoat jelly and fish cordon bleu (although the latter you didn't mention but idea is the same). I disagree.

- It won't really solve his existing problems such as inventory cluttering, on the contrary, problem would become even worse. Right now to take advantage of not related to spices food I need portable crock pot (1) and 1-2 ingredients (1-2) (2-3 slots), your suggestion would force Warly player - in order to achieve the same result! - to use portable crock pot (1), grinding mill + ingredients for spice/already grinded spice (1-2), seasoning station (1), extra dish/ingredients for applying and storing ready to use spices (1-2) (4-6 slots), more time (cooking + grinding + seasoning compared to just cooking). I prefer option #1 (2-3 slots). It's still more than average of 1 extra slot for unique item most characters have to use to just live or to not loose 90% of their power (ageless clock, Abigail's flower, souls, webby whisle, corresponding kitschy idol, codex umbra), others can perform from ok to excellent without any extra items on them majority of time. So why would poor Warly need to use more than 2 slots? And as if it wasn't enough Warly's chef pouch was heavily nerfed compared to single player version of it: not only Warly doesn't start with it, now only it has much worse spoilage reduction (+100% (DS) vs +33% (DST) of time before food spoils, numbers themselves show enough), but it has only 6 slots compared to 8 of normal backpack. To be on par with other characters even right now he has to abandon idea of using chef pouch or to work with 3 less slots than average survivior... so where is my ability to dodge with i-frames and precisely find resources?

- Ability to apply all effects on ethernal (on practice) powdercakes would only promote more people to treat Warly as pick and swap character (now even for those who can't kill Bee Queen). Warly on public servers is already a rare enough sight, I myself feel like a member of extinct species when play Warly there, not to mention I want to try some strategies and tactics as other characters with Warly himself present and cooperating with me, not celestial portal simulated "cooperation" while I'm still playing solo.

- Butter will remain irrelevant as it is right now because drop chance it too low (including planning around these +10% speed for speed tresholds). I don't know about jellybeans since I don't use them (I prefer regular food), but I have a feeling if one relies heavily on it 2x amount won't help since fight is too resource-intensive.

I would rather solve problem of inventory cluttering, as well as additing choices and variety to his playstyle by reworking chef pouch. Imagine if current version was upgradable relatively early to version than slows down spoilage like salt box (but had 8 slots and could hold more types of perishables than salt box) or the one that has more slots than backpack but acts as fire Packim Baggims (including instant cooking with 100% fresh food as a result but turning into ash all flammables)? And they could be wearable only by Warly, but still openable by anyone. This would make Warly more enjoyable to play from my point of view. Greater spoilage slow down would also acheive what OP seems to want, as well as other people asking for Warly's food lasting longer without stated above problems.

Edit: I misread part about jellybeans, somehow I read "With 1 jellybean" instead of "With 1 royal jelly", sorry for that, OP.

46 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

would be cool if the chef pouch was a head storage item with like 4  slots with slow spoilage effect

Since you would trade head slot for this and be unable to use light, armor, weather protection or sanity restoration I would prefer 6 or 8 slots, maybe without spoilage reduction. Body clothing and armor compared to corresponding head gear are often slightly better in terms of combination of stats, but they are more obscure generally and less obscure in very specific situations: floral shirt is available only in summer but doesn't require Deerclops loot (relevant when there are more players staying on the surface then amount of available eyeballs), materials for puffy vest are available only in winter (but getting them includes less RNG than beefalo hat and no matter how bad worldgen/griefers are it stays avalable through indestructible hunts), tentacle spots are pain to farm if one is unlucky with swamp generation (but item acts as T1 winter insulation which can be handy at the start of spring or end of autumn, + eyebrella competition), log suit materials are less space efficient compared to those for football helmets and are slower to farm at least in early and early-mid game (but due to world regrowth and tumbleweeds one always has materials for log suit), thulecite suit has better durability and sanity regeneration but lacks force field and costs more thulecite per item compared to crown (cost per durability is equal), there is no alternative to moggles among body and hand slot, no proper alternative to lantern/miner hat for body slot, but no alternative to marble suit and night armor, as well as amulets for head slot. So I think it would be fair trade, and finally somebody could use amulets and belt of hunger more (although technically Walter can, but 2nd character won't hurt, especially since it wouldn't be copy and paste type of perk).

Edit: by comparison of items I wanted to show that in best case scenario and worst case scenario, as well as in different circumstances in general body slot item vs head slot item is unclear outcome if one doesn't count extra slots coming from backpacs.

9 hours ago, Papa Scorch said:

Alright, Warly is a very strong Don’t Starve Together character when played right, and I’m not saying he’s bad or even needs a change at all, but my ideas for this change would make him a much more fun and enjoyable character, so please consider.

Idea #1. I think that the Volt Goat Jelly should be completely removed, but instead in its place would be a new spice that Warly can create called crushed goat horns (or something like that.) It would take one volt goat horn, and turn it into two of the spice. The spice would not last as long as the jelly does because of the fact that it can be put on crock pot dishes, but would do exactly the same damage modifiers as the normal volt goat jelly.

Idea #2. With one royal jelly, Warly would be able to make three royal spices that would do exactly what jellybeans do, but able to be put on crock pot dishes.

Idea #3 Get rid of glow berry mousse and instead add glowing jelly that would be a spice that could be added to crock pot dishes, and would give the same effect as normal glow berry mousse.

Idea #4. (last idea) Warly should have a passive 5% chance of getting butter from butterflies. If this happened, it could add much more possibilities to the game, and maybe even a buttery spice that would increase movement speed by 10%.

Final note: Klei, if you even consider for a moment adding any of these features into the game, I will literally cry tears of joy. I am not trying to force anything onto you, just trying to make Warly seem like a more diverse character. Thank you so much for everything you’ve done!!!

All of those sounds like mod ideas. And yes - I'm Warly main.

Warly is nearly perfect, do not touch my baby boy. The only changes I would want to see are his character specific things moved to his own tab instead of thrown into food and a new "Chef's Specialty" spice which is just the pepper & garlic spices together for a nice little QoL thing of having both on one food. Maybe do something with his chef's pouch and maybe have food effects last longer on him.

But he's one of the best designed characters so he really doesn't need anything, and anything more than minor changes would just be change for the sake of change.

5 hours ago, Ohan said:

Theres nothing wrong with people switching to warly or nona or whoever else if they want to benefit from their unique stuff in solo settings. People really need to stop pretending there is. Both warly and nona have their dedicated players who enjoy playing as them just like every other survivor no matter how much of a ‘pick and swap’ they are deemed by a certain subsection of players.

Warly is fine yes. Winona, no, I still think her rework primarily made her a swap and dump character rather than a long term character.

Unlike WInona, Warly still has stuff going for him, like a different playstyle and such. There isn't something like that for Winona. 

Heck, I even think Wurt has more going for her than Winona and is a better long term character, even though she could be dumped thanks to her Merm mask. This just isn't the case for Winona.

14 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Warly is fine yes. Winona, no, I still think her rework primarily made her a swap and dump character rather than a long term character.

Unlike WInona, Warly still has stuff going for him, like a different playstyle and such. There isn't something like that for Winona. 

Yeah i agree i clarified that in the spoiler at the bottom.

Another spoiler because we’re offtopic :lol::

Spoiler

My point was winona isnt bad because shes a ‘pick and swap’ character, shes underwhelming because she doesnt have a lot going for her besides catas. 

Her catas were obviously made with multiplayer in mind because others can fuel her generators. This is not a bad thing. Its not a bad thing about winona if someone who loves playing woodie but is a solo player wants to use her catas by swapping. 

Winona should be judged by how unique she is compared to the rest of the cast and by how fun she is to play for people who like and play as her. Not by wether or not others can make use of her buildings without her by swapping, thats what i was trying to say. (And same goes for warly which was my main point) 

29 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Warly is really good by himself and when synergizing. I wish others could use his chef equipment or he had another perk like his faster cooking speed.

It would be cool if there was a chef hat craftable you could wear to gain the quick cooking perk, and let you use warly's crock pots.

1 hour ago, Papa Scorch said:

Three jellybeans is the normal amount cooked using crock pots.

Oh, I somehow read "refine jellybeans into more spices", I'm sorry for such unattentiveness. But in that case I wonder on what food and why one would want to apply such spice. Healing food? But if one tanks heavily wouldn't it be safer to just eat normal healing food to restore 40-60 health in one second rather than wait? Long battles with relatively low received damage rate are already ok with jellybeans alone, and even if one wanted to use it to restore health over time with regular food currently one can use both jellybeans and regular food (although it would be 2 slots instead of 1; on the other hand one could want to switch healing food after consuming 3rd copy, so current system is still more versatile); healing rate doesn't stack after consuming second jellybean, so using it in battles with high received damage rate would waste second and subsequent jellybeans or potential spice alternative. Applying effect on sanity food? But again one could use both dishes and at some point switch to other sanity food.

I just want to be able to use the portable crockpot as a melee weapon that doesn’t break similar to Woodie players who are skilled enough can use Lucy (although don’t do that because using her is intentionally awful)

I also think the designated chef in the character roster should come with a portable Ice Box/salt box: That can store and preserve foods/ingredients for a lot longer.

Items that are of course exclusive to only being useable by Warly.. but would give him some fun “Self-Stuff” that helps counter his picky eating downsides.

I also feel there’s a valid argument to be had about changes to Warly/Winona/Wurt etc- Because Warly was one of the first reworks BEFORE Klei started completely removing/negating serious unfun downsides.

(Downsides are still present.. just more easily countered) and when it comes to Warly: He doesn’t have anything in his current Kit that counters his downsides.

Even WALTER has easier gimmicky counters to his downsides such as telling camp stories, wearing a special hat while standing around a forest of trees, and using his own portable camp tents.

So there’s a validity to giving Warly a touch up in a future QoL patch or something.

Archived