how do i teach new player how to play

Just be patient with them and let them experience the game as they play. Let them know you will answer any questions you have if they don't know what to do or want to learn a little more about something. But overall just let them make mistakes and learn from them, and in time they will do just fine.

11 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Don't give any aid or advice, and try not to laugh.

Nope, sorry I can’t do that: I intentionally play as Woodie when they pick Woodie craft his idols & tell them to “eat” them normally I go for Goose just to get that hilarious first reaction to it..

And I laugh, they laugh, it’s all fun times and makes buying the game for people feel worth it to me.. I love to watch my friends excitement fail & learn- I love to listen to their first reaction to first encounter with treeguard- and I laugh uncontrollably as they scream in panic and then probably die.

Maybe that makes me a bad friend.. but I love watching people experience this games content on their own unexpectedly.

Worth buying it every single time :lol:

You should allow them to experiment and explore the game on their own, but if you notice them aimlessly picking flowers and berries and just standing in base try to nudge them in the right direction. I've found it's a balancing act between three reactions you want to avoid:

1. "This game is too hard, I'm constantly dead and just dragging you down"

2. "You've just brought me along to do chores for you"

3. "I'm bored, I don't know what to do"

If you sense any of these three brewing avoid it ASAP!

Don't explain everything right away. That ruins the fun of figuring things out, and it can be an information overload. Also don't do important survival crafts for them and then just hand them the finished product. Let them actually play the game

Most importantly, if they are NOT ok with restarting the world and trying everything over again, absolutely play on endless mode so they can revive from the portal.

I like the Wes method:

1. Spawn in.
  2. Hand them a balloon.
  3. Make yourself a Speedy Balloon and leave them on their own.
  4. Play normally while offering helpful advice from afar.
  5. Let a Speedy Balloon fly into the sky to signal your location when the time comes to reunite.

But nothing compares to the Woodie method:

1. Spawn in.
  2. Explain the basics.
  3. Bring them near a body of water.
  4. Transform into the Weregoose.
  5. Run away into the high seas and let them fend for themselves.

Adding more to this: If you want to let them learn at their own pace without you spoiling everything for them: play on Wilderness Mode: Being able to skip becoming a ghost altogether, and being able to pick any of the cast of characters to learn their playstyles will help them further enjoy the game without feeling frustrated when they fail- the only problem with this mode is when you die.. it respawns you somewhere randomly on the map: Making it very hard to actually stay near to and help one another if they are always dying.

18 hours ago, Skelewar said:

You should allow them to experiment and explore the game on their own, but if you notice them aimlessly picking flowers and berries and just standing in base try to nudge them in the right direction. I've found it's a balancing act between three reactions you want to avoid:

1. "This game is too hard, I'm constantly dead and just dragging you down"

2. "You've just brought me along to do chores for you"

3. "I'm bored, I don't know what to do"

If you sense any of these three brewing avoid it ASAP!

How do you try and stop these reactions?

2 hours ago, Treeomp said:

How do you try and stop these reactions?

Just point them in a better direction.

If they think the game is too hard, protect them from further harm like hound waves and set them on a safe but decently interesting task, like getting gold from pig king or digging up graves, or killing spiders.

If they think they're just acting as a slave/pack animal, them encourage them to go ahead, have fun explore the world on their own

If they're bored, maybe teach them some important base mechanics, like how to cook certain dishes in a crockpot, how to kite simple enemies, or even take them on a more exciting adventure like a boss fight or into the caves. 

Basically (in my experience) you're number one task is to try and make sure they are enjoying the game. If they for some reason LIKE to be dead/pack animal/bored, then it isn't something you need to avoid after all. Just make sure they like it and would be willing to play with you again lol.

Archived