Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! Launch Announcement

• Developer

Ready to Launch! 
We started working on Spaced Out! nearly two years ago. One year of Early Access, one global pandemic and countless hours later, we’re excited to announce that Spaced Out! is ready to leave Early Access. 

Hang onto your Rocket Navigation hats, folks...the Spaced Out! DLC for Oxygen Not Included officially launches on December 16th

It’ll be available on Steam, WeGame and Epic Games Store. 

This won’t be the last update to Spaced Out! or the base game. We’ll still be fixing bugs, improving UI and making tuning and balancing improvements on an ongoing basis. 

How’d We Get Here?
A lot has happened during Early Access, so a quick recap is in order. We’ve released 16 updates (one every 3 weeks!) in the past year—not to mention plenty of minor patches and bug fixes.

Major highlights of our time in Early Access include:

• Improvements to rocketry mechanics, modules and fittings.
  • Numerous Rocket interior improvements.
  • Introduction of new Spaced Out! and Classic-style clusters for a total of 18 clusters to choose from.
  • Addition of new planetoids in all clusters.
  • Introduction of Nuclear, Radiation and Radbolt systems.
  • Introduction of Space mining.
  • Introduction of Plant mutations.
  • Unification of the base game and Spaced Out! codebases. (Breath of Fresh Air update, aka The Big Merge) 
  • Updates to the Mod system and lots of Mod support work.

Spaced Out! Launch announce image 1.png

What’s Next?
Once Spaced Out! has launched our next move is to...keep working on it. There’s always more to do, so we'll work on some post-launch updates for a while before moving on to the next new thing for Oxygen Not Included. Stay tuned! 

Thank you all so much for your help along the way. The community’s feedback and support is incredibly valuable, and the entire ONI team is grateful for the time you put into helping us get here. 

December 16th, here we come! 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 16
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 5

28 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

Once Spaced Out! has launched our next move is to...keep working on it. There’s always more to do, so we'll work on some post-launch updates for a while before moving on to the next new thing for Oxygen Not Included. Stay tuned!

i'm so glad to hear. for the last few tuning updates, I was kind of mentally preparing myself for this to be the end of new ONI content for the forseeable future. I'm glad y'all will keep up for a least a bit longer and maybe even more past this DLC!

39 minutes ago, Tizzysawr said:

Been meaning to get this, but I know back on release you couldn't deactivate it once you got it without reinstalling. Is that still the case? Or can we play base game from menu regularly now?

You can switch back to the base game very easily now.  Just click a button, game restarts, just that easy.

Also, this video was fantastic. 

• Like 1

@JarrettM@klei.ruby Hello dear Jarrett, dear Ruby and dear development team :p

A typical ONI night ( since a ~year ) for me involves 5-30 dupes dying, as they are stuck forever somewhere in midair. I suspect it can have to do with game priorities, dead dupes, graves and perhaps doors, hazard areas in a map ( map areas with lack of oxygen and/or heat zones ), collision, having dupes overloaded with errand tasks + in what (critical) condition a colony is. This is broken since a year now, please fix this problem for players. Thank you.

A good start for repro is to play with 50 or more dupes and a large classic map. For testing I would take 200 dupes and load a large hot hazard map which is fully excavated, built up with giga-tons of stuff going on, plus lots of doors where dupes have to go through + building 1000 ladder pieces ( with priority set to 9 ) and the dupes have to travel around/through large aread areas which lack Oxygen + 30 dupes which get heat burnt and want to travel to 20 existing medbeds + 10 dupes dying in the same moment, without having tombstones in the map and with the colony have 0 calories food in reserve. The more dupes...The faster and more often the problem occurs. Yesterday night I had 2 dupes getting stuck in the same moment ( multiple times ), the problem seems to have gotten worse, at least here for me.

I play without mods and on the stable branch. The issue has been bug reported by several players over time.

Edited by babba
  • Like 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 1

I love the video! But I need to ask - it shows temporal tear impacting the world much more than currently in the game? Are you going to expand that part od the game adter December 16th? (please do, it would be so coool!)

• Like 2

Alright, wth is happening in this new cinematic?...

Mae got launched into the Temporal Tear, so we can confirm that this DLC is a sequel to vanilla ONI...

And then she and a million of her copies return back, which forces the Earth to change its shape and dupes to mutate (Ada's head is changing when an asteroid flies to it)?...

P.S.: Also we can see that dupes move to SO! from Vanilla, but in game they spawn from Printing Pod which is already in SO!...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Mae got launched into the Temporal Tear, so we can confirm that this DLC is a sequel to vanilla ONI...

And then she and a million of her copies return back, which forces the Earth to change its shape and dupes to mutate (Ada's head is changing when an asteroid flies to it)?...

As I recall, The earth was previously encased in some kind of force field (man made? The artifact implies such, but I also recall it being stated somewhere that the force field was made of neutronium, an "immune system response" to some kind of catastrophic event ocurring.)

I think the short implies that sending a duplicant through the temporal tear caused some kind of reaction that broke the forcefield that previously encased earth, resuming the catastrophic event that I suppose was on 'pause' as the earth was in the force field. From there, whatever horrible anomaly was present on earth morphs it into a planet much bigger than previous, which causes the player asteroid to hurdle right back towards the earth (with some weird dimensional shifting thing, too, i suppose, with ada's head?), shattering it into little spaced-out bits.

38 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

P.S.: Also we can see that dupes move to SO! from Vanilla, but in game they spawn from Printing Pod which is already in SO!...

I believe this is just trailer magic, as the spaced out colony starting message describes a catastrophic event causing the previous colony to be torn to bits and all of its duplicants with it [save for those preseved], and the printing pod has waited a sufficient amount of time for the surrounding area to be hospitable enough for duplicant life once more, just like what is stated in the journal entry if you get down to just 1 duplicant left alive.

Edited by Primalflower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 minute ago, sakura_sk said:

Colors match more to a plug slug than shrek :rolleyes: But it's not like anything else matches (except Morb)

Hide contents

This is definitely a Morb!

5.thumb.PNG.5a630c0049145f9b4f945969271dc280.PNG

I have no idea what everything else hints to..

2.thumb.PNG.0e27d1f8384441d205ba9d31f37de9ba.PNG3.thumb.PNG.9a97eccaeff7782f0b578015aa0235a9.PNG4.thumb.PNG.212ce50c62c0629d45c88da831b4acd7.PNG6.thumb.PNG.4c088753d3ba8a34b575075b006bfac5.PNG

Think we should ship a box of tam o shanters to the folks at Klei for release? The past two years might have started to get to some of them :wilson_flower:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 4