Do you build Flingos for the base?

Worth making Flingos?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No
    • Just for plants

Just some of it. In the world with my friends we put a flingo near the grass bushes and sticks we grow literally next to the base, so some part of it got covered by the reach of it unintentionally. Then we just slapped another flingo *somewhere* around the middle, with how the place is spread of it's hard to explain. 

They certainly don't cover the whole place, just provide a spot to fight fire hounds in, and reach behind some walls we'd have to run around otherwise. The rest can be handled with watercans and luxury feathers.

I set wildfires to “more” so these things are useful.. they are also useful for freezing a bunch of on screen mobs like birds or bees or hounds, just intentionally start a fire and the flingo will do the rest.

Ive actually wanted to attempt fighting Deerclops in a Flingo area and just keep lighting it on fire with a fire staff to see if the flingos will freeze it in place and let me “cheese” killing it in a creative way… I haven’t done that yet… but unless Deerclops has flingo resistance I don’t see why it won’t work.

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I set wildfires to “more” so these things are useful.. they are also useful for freezing a bunch of on screen mobs like birds or bees or hounds, just intentionally start a fire and the flingo will do the rest.

Ive actually wanted to attempt fighting Deerclops in a Flingo area and just keep lighting it on fire with a fire staff to see if the flingos will freeze it in place and let me “cheese” killing it in a creative way… I haven’t done that yet… but unless Deerclops has flingo resistance I don’t see why it won’t work.

I usually just lure him to a forest to get a bunch of wood early in the game, and have the Treeguards deal with him, cause honestly kiting this guy is annoying, i also get Living Logs that way. 

I usually build my bases with a triangle of flingos and the firepits in the middle. One protects the kitchen, one protects crafting stations and chests, an one protects resource farms. I like it the system very much! Never had a base (completely) burn down!

in the main base no, just for plants and areas where there is buildings and i will fight hounds close to it like merm houses arround beequeen

and sometimes in the boat if i wanna fish in summer since the water bomb isnt automatic so you need to lose the fish+lures you are fighting with just to control a wildfire...

Hell no. 

Smoldering is one of the worst mechanics in the game. You either have to leave your base for an entire hour, or build countless flingos around your base.

Day 60+ or day 60000+, doesn't matter. Always the same thing. It is so annoying that there's no permanent solution to smoldering.

I did once. But found out its too tedious and costly to maintain several flingos around your base if you plan on hanging around. (Especially if you plan on expanding your base size over time)

I just move to Oasis or caves (whichever is closer) during Summer. Saves me gears and i don't have to decimate entire forest worth of trees to keep my base and crops safe for few days.

46 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

It's quite easy to counter though...

We literally got the big trees a few months back

"Easy" That's debatable.

Over 100 days later and only now i found the Waterlogged biome without cheating. (Then again i play on Huge worlds)

Growing them is also incredibly lenghty and not cheap process. And you have to build your base tightly around a coastline or near lakes if you lucky to find one. Cause their radius isn't anything too great. Setting those up on larger bases is really laborious and long process.

IMO in the long run its still easier to use flingos or move to caves/oasis during summer which is the cheapest and effortless option.

9 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

I think that would be better combined with a Tooth Trap field no?

If you want the meat. 

I play with two friends on that server, we would need an awful lot of traps. We just turn on the flingo, hop onto the Beefalos, and hit the fire ones first- flingo freezes the rest of them and extinguishes the fire. It's very handy.

I never use them personally, maybe in some short playthroughs on pubs where fire hounds in base happen but other than that I can't think of anything. 

expensive, too costly to maintain if your base expands, and smoldering can still happen offscreen even in flingo range if you are unlucky. If I invest enough time in a world I'm either turning wildfires off or spending all of summer in caves/oasis/sea.

For small bases that can be covered by 4 or so, yea; that mostly applies to public servers, or quick worlds/campsites.
For bigger bases in long-term worlds, especially my main private world...
Only in areas with a lot of things close together, like farms, or a kitchen with a ton of crockpots/fridges for speed-cooking.
Or the Lureplant boat. They're extra flammable.
But yea. They are useful in places where a fire could potentially get out of hand quickly. Just leave them turned off unless you're spending a lot of time near something like that; it can take a moment, but Flingos will automatically reactivate and make noises when an actual fire breaks out. So even if they aren't on, they're nice to have.

Other than that, once you get going...blue gems are common enough from Winter/Spring Hounds to just carry around an Ice Staff for single smolders.
I like to carry one anyway for mobs that I just...don't have patience for lmao. Like Walruses thinking that they can escape the inevitable.
Or persistent pigs.

Or that one butterfly that looked at me funny.

Spoiler

I know it was you.

1794568235_Guardians-Lineup-SpecialEyes2.png.107914784667be5db0ac5afbc13f3d7f.png

Right now I have only one for my bee hives as they are just outside the range of my above average trees. The only reason they are outside its range is because I'm so adamant about having them arranged in a particular way, you know, for aesthetics.

In my last few multiplayer games we didn't make flingos for the center of the base, only for the plants so they wouldn't wither.
We do, however, always leave around 4 Luxury Fans and 3 Filled watering cans scattered around the base to deal with any fire issues. Has been working pretty well so far.

Archived