Is it lisenced for modders to make money from in-game sales in the DST within their mod?

7 hours ago, NOOOBU said:

Do you know there is an old saying in China, "Tomorrow and Tomorrow again, so how many tomorrows then?" This is meant to satirize procrastination.

Honestly, based quote. I need to apply it more in my life.

Spoiler

But yeah, this whole situation is a complete mess, and I do not want to be in Klei’s shoes right now. I don’t know how I would approach this issue.

The Workshop guidelines have been updated to better clarify the prohibition of monetized content on the workshop.

Mods fall under our Player Creation Guidelines. As such, Mods are not permitted to be sold or contain any sort of paywall or features provided in exchange for money.

Mod creators are generally permitted to provide donation links but not permitted to offer services or content in exchange for monetary support or otherwise incentivize donations.

We have not been actively enforcing this part of our guidelines as we attempted to find a compromise that would be helpful for mod creators that wanted to monetize their content but also safe and reliable for our players.

We considered methods to allow modders to provide methods to monetize their content. Unfortunately, we have been unable to find a path forward that we feel would work well.

With that being said. Beginning March 1st 2022, mods in violation of this rule will be removed from the workshop. Mods that currently offer content or benefits in exchange for money or donations are asked to remove these restrictions before March 1st to avoid further action.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/322330/view/3104671425381249318

Wow, I...haven't played Myth Words in a while, so...I had NO idea they were doing that.  Heck, I even recommended it in another recent thread.  (It IS a gorgeous and complex mod, after all.)  

This reminds me of another one--they weren't _making_ money from it, exactly, but, well...

mudspa2.png.cba30e3e21a899705ff7b801b3c8fa01.png

This is from singleplayer DS Hamlet...with a mod that _lets you wear DST skins_.  See this?  I do not actually own Roseate Willow. But I can wear that in DS, with this mod.

Don't know if it still exists on the workshop; this was years ago after all.  But yeah, I'm reminded of that.  I always thought that if somehow it only allowed you to wear DST skins _you DO already own_ that would be more okay, but...

...Notorious

On 2/6/2022 at 8:05 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

Wow, I...haven't played Myth Words in a while, so...I had NO idea they were doing that.  Heck, I even recommended it in another recent thread.  (It IS a gorgeous and complex mod, after all.)  

This reminds me of another one--they weren't _making_ money from it, exactly, but, well...

mudspa2.png.cba30e3e21a899705ff7b801b3c8fa01.png

This is from singleplayer DS Hamlet...with a mod that _lets you wear DST skins_.  See this?  I do not actually own Roseate Willow. But I can wear that in DS, with this mod.

Don't know if it still exists on the workshop; this was years ago after all.  But yeah, I'm reminded of that.  I always thought that if somehow it only allowed you to wear DST skins _you DO already own_ that would be more okay, but...

...Notorious

They did not make money from this. So this is acceptable, considering that the single-player is no longer valued by Klei.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:15 PM, NOOOBU said:

I am curious about this for months, accroding the Player Creation Guidelines, i think it is not .......right:-|and illegal.

1592640284_8ZOC_1TJ@BR3KD4SNH1K9K.thumb.png.96450d7f624eba3e83eea2d51e197999.png

But i noticed there is a mod do the profit making by in-game purchase in DST, the QR code in this mod is for "mod skin purchase"(whatever, it is so funny:wink:)

20210920035426_1.jpg

20210920035445_1.jpg

On 10/16/2021 at 1:15 PM, NOOOBU said:

I am curious about this for months, accroding the Player Creation Guidelines, i think it is not .......right:-|and illegal.

1592640284_8ZOC_1TJ@BR3KD4SNH1K9K.thumb.png.96450d7f624eba3e83eea2d51e197999.png

But i noticed there is a mod do the profit making by in-game purchase in DST, the QR code in this mod is for "mod skin purchase"(whatever, it is so funny:wink:)

20210920035426_1.jpg

20210920035445_1.jpg

It is recommended that this module be removed directly from the shelves, which will affect the development of the game and disgusting the operation. All day long, it is said that Keli plagiarised them, and he was a skin change module. Module fans advocate every day that there will be no famine without this module.

Archived