Is it lisenced for modders to make money from in-game sales in the DST within their mod?

Pretty disgraceful to see Klei taking such a timid stance, in my opinion. They're selling third-party visual products in a game they didn't make - any other developer would have put into practice stronger measures than hoping these charlatans stop taking the mickey.

11 minutes ago, ObsidianKing said:

Pretty disgraceful to see Klei taking such a timid stance, in my opinion. They're selling third-party visual products in a game they didn't make - any other developer would have put into practice stronger measures than hoping these charlatans stop taking the mickey.

For these kind of things I think it's better to not jump the gun. Klei's handling it behind the scenes and that's better than an ugly confrontation in public that can lead to legal troubles. 

3 hours ago, Catteflyterpill said:

For these kind of things I think it's better to not jump the gun. Klei's handling it behind the scenes and that's better than an ugly confrontation in public that can lead to legal troubles. 

I can think of worse:

"Don't you guys have phones"

My English is not so good, please forgive me if there are any mistakes.

It has been more than three months since Klei released its announcement in October, but until the end of January, they were still selling their skin at a profit. If this behavior is not explicitly stopped, does it mean that other people can also make money by creating mod for character skin? Imagine that one day the skin modules of official characters will be sold in the community. I don't think players will still be enthusiastic about official skin.

1 hour ago, north wind said:

My English is not so good, please forgive me if there are any mistakes.

It has been more than three months since Klei released its announcement in October, but until the end of January, they were still selling their skin at a profit. If this behavior is not explicitly stopped, does it mean that other people can also make money by creating mod for character skin? Imagine that one day the skin modules of official characters will be sold in the community. I don't think players will still be enthusiastic about official skin.

他们应该能看中文的

Sorry I don't understand what the issue is. If you don't think the mod purchases are worth it, then don't purchase it.

If modders spend a significant amount of time making a mod, isn't it fair for them to be compensated in someway, especially if the mod is good? Again, no one is asking you to purchase anything. I just have the base game and I'm fine with it. 

Just like when it comes to youtube, there are people who make content/mods for compensation, and those who make content/mods to share their passions and make what they like even better for everyone. The quality shows at the end of the day so I don't understand what the issue is. It's not like the modders are making money at the expense of klei. 

I don't know exactly what the agreement is between Klei and modders but if I were Klei, I'd just charge a royalty on the revenue that modders make. So if the modder makes 100 dollars, Klei gets 10 or 15 dollars. It would be a win-win for everyone. 

3 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

Sorry I don't understand what the issue is. If you don't think the mod purchases are worth it, then don't purchase it.

If modders spend a significant amount of time making a mod, isn't it fair for them to be compensated in someway, especially if the mod is good? Again, no one is asking you to purchase anything. I just have the base game and I'm fine with it. 

Just like when it comes to youtube, there are people who make content/mods for compensation, and those who make content/mods to share their passions and make what they like even better for everyone. The quality shows at the end of the day so I don't understand what the issue is. It's not like the modders are making money at the expense of klei. 

YouTube was the worst example you could have picked. They're so notorious for banning rulebreakers that they even ban people who don't break the rules.

1 hour ago, PetulantPansy said:

I don't know exactly what the agreement is between Klei and modders but if I were Klei, I'd just charge a royalty on the revenue that modders make. So if the modder makes 100 dollars, Klei gets 10 or 15 dollars. It would be a win-win for everyone. 

It is clearly stated in Klei's 'Player Creation Guidelines' that player creation is not allowed for commercial use. But this module is making a profit by charging for the skin. If this phenomenon is not stopped, it will obviously bias the atmosphere of the whole community, and may also affect the interests of Klei.

As for the aspect of encouraging creation, Klei has provided them with two feasible ways to get money. They can get support by selling modules or publishing QR code rewards. I believe there will be many people who will be happy to support such a module. But what the production team members have done so far is really chilling, which is why many people oppose this module on Chinese forums.

Ok i see now. Oof, that's tough. What they're doing is against those rules lol.

For those wondering:

"We love fan-made Player Creations, we share them around the office all the time. Most people fall into one of three categories: Personal, Public, Commercial.

Commercial use is when you make money for your player creation. Commercial use of Player Creations is not allowed (except for the specific situations listed below)."

The exceptions were personally hand-crafted items and youtube monetization. 

Unless... they try to squeeze their thing under public and say that the monetization stuff is the QR reward stuff you're talking about. 

The public guidelines are here fyi:

"If you want to share your creations with the world (for free), that's no problem! Just follow the Golden Rules and share away."

I think Klei's quite busy doing their own content while sorting this crap out with all the legality issues that's just already a handful. Best to give them time and to be patient and they never seemed all that aggressive to want to jump and shut these project down considering the amount of creativity they get poured into.

Despite the modders being rotten pickles from what I've read here, I think that's for Klei to figure this out rather than screaming impatiently of "WHY U NO DO THINGS, KLEI?!"

I'm sure that Klei's on it eventually when they can and JoeW has given his response on this. I say best is to move on or criticize Klei less on this issue cause it's a welcome change to see a company that doesn't act like Nintendo.

3 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I think Klei's quite busy doing their own content while sorting this crap out with all the legality issues that's just already a handful. Best to give them time and to be patient and they never seemed all that aggressive to want to jump and shut these project down considering the amount of creativity they get poured into.

Despite the modders being rotten pickles from what I've read here, I think that's for Klei to figure this out rather than screaming impatiently of "WHY U NO DO THINGS, KLEI?!"

I'm sure that Klei's on it eventually when they can and JoeW has given his response on this. I say best is to move on or criticize Klei less on this issue cause it's a welcome change to see a company that doesn't act like Nintendo.

Do you know there is an old saying in China, "Tomorrow and Tomorrow again, so how many tomorrows then?" This is meant to satirize procrastination.

2 minutes ago, NOOOBU said:

Do you know there is an old saying in China, "Tomorrow and Tomorrow again, so how many tomorrows then?" This is meant to satirize procrastination.

and do you know that klei wont say "yes we are going to destroy this guys with our lawyers"? if they do something will be in private because isnt our bussiness (pun intended)

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and do you know that klei wont say "yes we are going to destroy this guys with our lawyers"? if they do something will be in private because isnt our bussiness (pun intended)

Because of some personal but severe accidents, this mod is VERY controversial and messy than before these days. So that is why more and more new but also subjective CN comments here, I believe you would never want to see so many Chinese words in this forum, so do I.

13 minutes ago, NOOOBU said:

Better later than never. Then again, you have your own personal problems with the mod while it's not even your business to be dealing with the mod. Great to point out the issue but if you're gonna be just complaining about it then likely to cause more unnecessary drama and chaos.

Also, legal issues take up many months if you don't know or forgot about it, so it won't be easy or fast to sort the issue out. Perhaps this year Klei's planning something. If not this year or legal stuff get pushed back to later then I guess it's by their own choice.

6 minutes ago, NOOOBU said:

I believe you would never want to see so many Chinese words in this forum, so do I.

Now THAT sounds like a YOU problem :P

Just now, Frosty_Mentos said:

Better later than never. Then again, you have your own personal problems with the mod while it's not even your business to be dealing with the mod. Great to point out the issue but if you're gonna be just complaining about it then likely to cause more unnecessary drama and chaos.

Also, legal issues take up many months if you don't know or forgot about it, so it won't be easy or fast to sort the issue out. Perhaps this year Klei's planning something. If not this year or legal stuff get pushed back to later then I guess it's by their own choice.

Now THAT sounds like a YOU problem :P

yep, i am guilty:grief:

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I'm pretty sure they can press a button to make the mod go way way bye bye. They just don't care, it's been known about for so long and no real action has been taken.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I'm pretty sure they can press a button to make the mod go way way bye bye. They just don't care, it's been known about for so long and no real action has been taken.

Or maybe Klei cares about the half million+ people who use this mod and have done nothing wrong. Or maybe Klei cares about the developers who are just trying to make DST more fun (although the developers are a bit sus). The mod itself is free...

It's ok, keep the vitriol coming. 

...only saying this because I've seen how much of the personal issues are spilling over in a few other places.

If you want the mod taken down, keep it to legality and practices.
Getting a mod taken down via a popularity contest sets a bad precedent.

18 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

Or maybe Klei cares about the half million+ people who use this mod and have done nothing wrong. Or maybe Klei cares about the developers who are just trying to make DST more fun (although the developers are a bit sus). The mod itself is free...

It's ok, keep the vitriol coming. 

https://www.klei.com/games/dont-starve/terms-of-service

Archived