Is it lisenced for modders to make money from in-game sales in the DST within their mod?

11 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

if klei removes this mod then for sure they will lose huge sales and even gain negative rep in china which their main sales

it would be funny to see them shoot their foot wwwwww

Well actually about 75% of the world's servers don't have mods (from Dribble's resources).

I don't think this Myth has generated much sales for Klei.

Most importantly, as mentioned above, more and more Myth fans think Klei is a thief because they thought most DST ideas are stolen from Myth. It's horrible and ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, NOOOBU said:

Well actually about 75% of the world's servers don't have mods (from Dribble's resources).

I don't think this Myth has generated much sales for Klei.

the mod server no matter.  news will spread in china of klei actions against chinese. klei is own by tencent which china company their owner and boss is china, they would be wise to not displease china. in many game such as the minecraft you can give money to gain rank or items of vanity in the server, this is  normal with online game. the klei is policy is outdated and requires change to be like other game like minecraft.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

the mod server no matter.  news will spread in china of klei actions against chinese. klei is own by tencent which china company their owner and boss is china, they would be wise to not displease china. in many game such as the minecraft you can give money to gain rank or items of vanity in the server, this is  normal with online game. the klei is policy is outdated and requires change to be like other game like minecraft.

yep, so making Klei give a clear attidude about it is important, whatever it is legal or not at last, we still need a answer, not mute and silence. 

If myth profit making can be lisenced, it will be good for every one, sitimulaing more great DST works.

40 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

if klei removes this mod then for sure they will lose huge sales and even gain negative rep in china which their main sales

I think they don’t have to take down the mod, just ask the creator to replace the mod’s in game store with a donations system that is not so invasive.

If the mod author refuses they can suspend the mod until the change is made. It’s not an attack against the Chinese people by any means, just against a shady practice by a single mod author (which could be from any nationality, it does not change anything)

Forget it, I still can not agree with this roughly creation profit making, Minecrafts' Mod market is mature and rich experience, Klei would not reach the same lever like them in these years, and also could lead many problems. Make the workshop be pure, indeed.

2 minutes ago, NOOOBU said:

yep, so making Klei give a clear attidude about it is important, whatever it is legal or not at last, we still need a answer, not mute and silence. 

If myth profit making can be lisenced, it will be good for every one, sitimulaing more great DST works.

indeed. if you see the minecraft the server with such practices as only strengthened the game. it is number one seller in the world it is only because the developer was wise and promoted the community is growth by allowing the community to maintain the natural balance without intervention.

this module does not force a user to give money it is choice of user is decision much like minecraft server, if it was false then for sure it is a wrong doing.

Idk why any of this matters, if Klei themselves would have noticed this as illegal activity - they'd just take action upon it. But knowing that Klei usually doesn't take action against things and their players I doubt anything would change. Otherwise, true. They'd shoot themselves in the foot for doing it enraging a large Chinese portion of players that play that mod. 

Overall maybe Klei should revise their policy stuff in the game or something, or clarify things here if they're gonna be doing anything about it or not. Though not gonna lie it might be sad to see that mod getting demonetized by Klei since they've worked hard enough for animation and content, right?

Between morality, rules and money - it would be controversial to be taking their business out. If the Chinese modders are gonna be going hardcore on doing more sales on a lot more mods and move into DST's content skinning - I think that's gonna be real crossing the line there.

6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think they don’t have to take down the mod, just ask the creator to replace the mod’s in game store with a donations system that is not so invasive.

If the mod author refuses they can suspend the mod until the change is made. It’s not an attack against the Chinese people by any means, just against a shady practice by a single mod author (which could be from any nationality, it does not change anything)

Yeah donation system is more acceptable but as you see Myth SALE their "SKINS", I think....it is hard for myth team to change the sale to donation, because their "SKIN" is with a clearly marked price lol

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

just ask the creator to replace the mod’s in game store with a donations system that is not so invasive

the system is not invasive. it is the choice of the user to make such decision

6 minutes ago, NOOOBU said:

Klei would not reach the same lever like them in these years

the klei will never reach the level of minecraft because of the outdated policy 666

59 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

Just because you really like this mod doesn't mean everyone does. Most people play without mods, especially console players who have no choice.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

indeed. if you see the minecraft the server with such practices as only strengthened the game. it is number one seller in the world it is only because the developer was wise and promoted the community is growth by allowing the community to maintain the natural balance without intervention.

this module does not force a user to give money it is choice of user is decision much like minecraft server, if it was false then for sure it is a wrong doing.

Minecraft cracks down on people profiting way more than Klei does, especially in recent years. They've removed many pay to win servers and caused many others to change their ways in fear of also being removed.

29 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

It's not "action against the Chinese", lol. It's Klei simply enforcing the rules that happened to be broken by a Chinese person. If the mod were removed, as it should be, then the only person to blame would be the mod author.

16 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

the system is not invasive. it is the choice of the user to make such decision

the klei will never reach the level of minecraft because of the outdated policy 666

Be positive dude:D, Klei still has lots things to do, but maybe one day it will be greater and bigger than nowdays 

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Just because you really like this mod doesn't mean everyone does

hmm? this is funny i not just enjoy this module and have supported it currently there is 519,397 user majority chinese who appreciate this module.

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Minecraft cracks down on people profiting way more than Klei does

you mean the microsoft does. before the minecraft had no problems. and there are still countless server not “pay to win” server which accept donation for rank and vanity effect and bonus in server gameplay.

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

It's not "action against the Chinese", lol. It's Klei simply enforcing the rules that happened to be broken by a Chinese person. If the mod were removed, as it should be, then the only person to blame would be the mod author.

you are right it is not action against the chinese. it is action attack on 519,397 user of the module for selfish greed of klei.

the module creators create many thing and for support you may give money to obtain an apparel of vanity it is not such a difficult thing to grasp.

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

hmm? this is funny i not just enjoy this module and have supported it currently there is 519,397 user majority chinese who appreciate this module.

519,397 when according to SteamSpy DST has at least 22,670,000 copies sold on that platform alone. About 1/44th of the owners of the game even ignoring all the sales on mobile, Playstation, Xbox, and Switch. It's a pretty big mod, but that's compared to other mods. Compared to the game it's very small.

Edit: I looked at the wrong number, 22.67m is the total number of Klei sales, of which DST is the majority. To see DST sales more accurate than between 10 and 20 million I need to back them on Patreon. The point still stands that this game has millions of sales and millions of players, 500k is not nearly as big as it might look.

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

you are right it is not action against the chinese. it is action attack on 519,397 user of the module for selfish greed of klei.

For the selfish greed of the mod author, you mean. Klei doesn't get any money for removing mods. The only person with a profit motive is the mod author.

i see so the users of the module are worthless to you we are seen as insects to be trampled on hmm?

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

For the selfish greed of the mod author, you mean. Klei doesn't get any money for removing mods. The only person with a profit motive is the mod author.

i see you and the klei wish to treat the module developer like slave dogs  hmm? they are not human and no need to eat this is your stance.

the module developers work hard to create this module and you can support by donate for a apparel of vanity but no you they are only slaves to you all! only the klei are human in need of expense of living hmmm???

the klei should be paying the module developer for keeping 519,397 users happy!!

it is clear what all you stances are the module developers are  dogs to use  to you , disheartening.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

it is clear what all you stances are the module developers are  dogs to use  to you , disheartening.

16 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

guys easy easy, be gentle and friendly plz:(

Just now, Handsome_Jack said:

i see so the users of the module are worthless to you we are seen as insects to be trampled on hmm?

i see you and the klei wish to treat the module developer like slave dogs  hmm? they are not human and no need to eat this is your stance.

the module developers work hard to create this module and you can support by donate for a apparel of vanity but no you they are only slaves to you all! only the klei are human in need of expense of living hmmm???

the klei should be paying the module developer for keeping 519,397 users happy!!

Why are you larping so hard over a mod? I'm not coming to your house to strangle your puppy to death, bro, I'm saying that people need to follow rules they've agreed to follow.

17 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

you sound like one of those toxic people that **** talk about game companies that try to make profit lmao take a chill pill for a moment and consider that Klei is trying to make a profit like any other game company and any other person on the internet.

It's their right to enforce the broken rules if they want to or not, despite being under Tencent's hand or not.

I can see that it's not a bad place to try and marketing hard worked mods in the Workshop cause modding for this game is difficult when trying to make it GOOD and INTERESTING to say the least, thus mod developers do put in a lot of work into what they do and the art they learn.

I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, I'm saying that if Klei does it - they can just do it.

17 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I think that's hypocritical thinking that it's "selfish greed" over the fact that it's just rule breaking than anything. Like, dude - Everyone wants to earn a living in one way or another, don't be that guy that thinks 'it's bad to earn money off things' when they're just earning a living for themselves.

I think the morality in this question is that how modders and how Klei look at one another in this perspective cause I think most of us are ready to jump and criticize one side or other with biased opinions towards one or another.

I say that you're all wrong is all. Fanboys of Klei/Fanboys of the mod ready to take a stance over one another. Why not just let the company and the modders settle their own problems? Either Klei's gonna give a seal of approval or not to continue the monetization towards their own DLC content made.

In own side of things of morality - I think it's unfair towards Klei. The thing is that the modders created a mod either to have fun with it or having plans of profiting off of it and Klei's getting nothing out of it when it's being made for their game THEY'RE making. There's no contracts, there's just straight up profit moving to the modders instead of sharing or at least getting approval when RULES are set and they know what those rules are or not doesn't matter.

Conclusion is - this is not our mudafukin problem. It's Klei's and modder's. Duh, dumbos. I get you like the game and the mod whoever reads this but really this is serious legal stuff that's being breached. Modders of that mod and whoever defends it's profits ain't right in this one, sorry to tell. It's just how it goes.

Best would have been if people were not to touch this issue cause I think this thread is ready to blow out with forumites saying that or that is right or wrong when this could have been simple silent action made by Klei and the mod team to settle things if they do it or not.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Jack said:

in many game such as the minecraft you can give money to gain rank or items of vanity in the server, this is  normal with online game. the klei is policy is outdated and requires change to be like other game like minecraft.

Please note that p2w servers on minecraft are againist the eula. That is a different can of worms, considering the p2w servers are often made to support the servers and the creators. This mod has microtransactions solely to support the creators.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Minecraft cracks down on people profiting way more than Klei does, especially in recent years. They've removed many...

Please note that Microsoft/ Mojang has really never done anything due to the community. There are anti p2w communities that attack those servers.

(I'm having a hard time understanding anything in this thread due to the language barrier, it sucks)

8 hours ago, NOOOBU said:

I am curious about this for months, accroding the Player Creation Guidelines, i think it is not .......right:-|and illegal.

I don't think JoeW or Klei will respond positively to relevant questions.

Just like I have reported similar problems before.

6 hours ago, dish-order man said:

An author of this mod named DST_LSJ in forum and 美神自由梦 in bilibili have ever unpacked the art resources in the game and sold them to his fans priced 5 yuan for single picture/55 yuan for 14 pictures

By the way, I also reported about DST_ LSJ stole Klei's art and sold it on BiliBili.

A reminder guys, that's if Klei decides to do anything about it, they will most likely do it quietly, in private. The first thing they will do is contact the mod author, and we, here on the forum, will probably not be informed about anything. 

It is an issue between Klei and the modder after all. 

Therefore us raging here has no point outside of getting this thread locked. Let Klei handle this behind the curtains as these things should be done. 

47 minutes ago, BezKa said:

A reminder guys, that's if Klei decides to do anything about it, they will most likely do it quietly, in private. The first thing they will do is contact the mod author, and we, here on the forum, will probably not be informed about anything. 

Therefore us raging here has no point outside of getting this thread locked. Let Klei handle this behind the curtains as these things should be done. 

Agreed. The thread is made, I'm sure Klei has seen it. Bringing it to their attention is the only thing we can do, provided that they didn't know about the mod beforehand. Any actions they decide to take or not take will likely be behind closed doors.

2 hours ago, BezKa said:

Exactly, before they do anything they’ll be talking to their lawyer, if it gets bad they’ll send a cease and desist. They’ll make the modders want to remove payment or their mod before they’ll remove it themselves.

Klei let’s mod creators use assets from shipwrecked and Hamlet and let people who are fortunate enough to be able to download mods, play dlc content I paid money for rather they themselves paid for the expansions or not.

I don’t think people should make profit off mods, but I also don’t think mods should be allowed to use DLC assets I had to pay for.

Roblox is the absolute worst game I’ve ever seen due to people making their own games and currency’s within that game other players can pay for. 

Klei seems to work quietly from the shadows like a certain caped crusader jumping out when you least expect it to deliver swift justice where they feel it is due, and I’m sure that if these mods break any rules- you’ll see them start to mysteriously disappear never to be seen or heard from again: Much like Warbucks.

Archived