[Game Update] - Public Testing 479858

• Developer

U36 Public Testing Gif.gif

Hi everyone!

Today we’re starting testing of the next Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! update on the Public Testing branch. 

The major project of this update is the reintroduction of world traits to Spaced Out! gameplay. Traits will not just be added to starting worlds, but to all planetoids throughout the cluster.  Some will only appear on non starting worlds.

Tuning is still a work in progress and you can expect to see some seeds failing to germinate, but don’t worry as these are automatically reported to us so we can adjust the worldgen rules. On that note, if you find any especially interesting trait combinations, please let us know!

We’ve also given the Database some love. Among other improvements, it now lists most of the sources and consumers of elements to help you plan your economy.

Work continues on performance and stability issues. We appreciate your continued reports and feedback on how the game is running on your machines.

Full patch notes are listed below.

Please let us know in the bug forums if you see anything unexpected. We appreciate your feedback!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Spoiler

Features

• Spaced Out! Only
    • Added Duplicant traits Alone, Starry Eyed, Glow Stick
    • World traits applied to many worlds in a cluster
    • Added Lush Core, Radioactive Crust, and Metallic Caves world traits.

Changes & Improvements

• Database entries for buildings now list classification for room requirements.
  • Reworked creature diet Database entries to show input/output rates.
  • Listed Element consumers and producers in Database entries. 
  • Asteroid selection screen resizes according to screen height.
  • Sound
    • Added dupe whistle sound for Grooming Station interaction.
    • Added hammer strike sound for Atmos Suit Checkpoint.
    • Added sound for dead Duplicant carrying interaction.
    • Added hammer strike sound for Weight Plate.
  • Modding: World traits are now configured using worldTraitRules. If none are specified it defaults to 2-4 traits.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Added rocket interior building restrictions to recreation buildings.
    • Party Line Phone calling animation changes when Duplicants call each other at the same time.
    • Sound
      • Added Party Line Phone sound
      • Added Party Line Phone hammer strike sound

Fixes

• Fixed element name in geyser tooltip.
  • Fixed double "Effects:" typo in room overlay text.
  • Fixed Database recipe links for seeds and eggs not working.
  • Worldgen: Always draw world borders over biomes below the surface.
  • Implemented performance improvements relating to hitches caused by UI updates.
  • Fixed spacing typos in the Thermo Regulator and Thermo Aquatuner.
  • Research Systems Database entry now reflects differences in base game and Spaced Out! Content.
  • Fixed inverted shader issue for tiled blocks and world zone textures affecting Linux.
  • Fix Duplicant skill links in the Database, and don't include references to removed skills or skills from DLC if not enabled.
  • Fixed problem where Duplicant mourning reaction had no sound.
  • Spaced Out! Only
    • Fixed crash composting Blossoming mutant seeds.
    • Prevent crash when loading a save with identically named worlds.
    • Saturn Critter Trap vents gas correctly again.
    • Duplicants can no longer attack Experiment 52B using the attack tool.
    • Worldgen: Improved worldgen rules including more reliably placing Iron Volcanos on Tundra Asteroid.
    • Dead Duplicants are no longer brought back to life and put in escape pods during Abandon Ship sequence.
    • Fixed crash that could occur during Abandon Ship! sequence.
    • Add missing Party Line Phone  status item.
    • Fix Party Line Phone consuming power when not in use.
    • Changed Helium Cloud description to accurately reflect composition.
    • Fixed hyperlink for Orbital research center and Materials Study Terminal to point to proper DLC research Database entry
    • Fixed Artifact Module crash when updating status items in space.
    • Changed the Radiation systems Database entry so it doesn't show up in the base game

What is public testing?

"Public testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the public testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an public tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the public testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

• Developer
13 minutes ago, Xenologist said:

It seems that radioactive crust and lush core currently aren't available. Either a bug or I'm just really unlucky trying to find the new traits apart from the metallic caves.

These two traits are only found on non starting worlds. We are working on displaying word traits in game but it didn't make it into this build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so glad we're getting traits back, i hope you guys make some kind of overlay/filter for the asteroids in the starmap as to what trait they may have if it could be seen from space.  some of these traits are pretty cool.  i was hoping volcanic activity to be more than 1 volcano on the main asteroid :p

image.thumb.png.72a333b5f86b93951c653082398cd2b6.png

2 hours ago, JarrettM said:

The major project of this update is the reintroduction of world traits to Spaced Out! gameplay.

Does it mean that you will add new starting asteroids/planetoids soon™? Cuz I'm waiting for Base game-like Rime asteroid being added so I can buy DLC

Edited by Duck986
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FoldableHuman said:

No traits are displaying for the Terra Cluster or Large Terra Cluster on the location selection. Not sure if this is intended to create a standard baseline experience or a bug of one kind or another.

This was the case in the base game though I think a mod allowed it. I assume its the same in dlc that terra won't have them. 

9 hours ago, fullerfamily said:

Glowstick: Emits low amounts of radiation and light; increased radiation resistance (haha)

Starry Eyed: +10 morale while in space (wow)

Loner: +4 to all attributes if alone on world (oh)

Now Marie must have glowstick by default! Her flavor text demands It. Mae can probably get Starry Eyed. But loner? Turner? Max? I don't think Banhi is a true loner.

24 minutes ago, 6Havok9 said:

Now Marie must have glowstick by default! Her flavor text demands It. Mae can probably get Starry Eyed. But loner? Turner? Max? I don't think Banhi is a true loner.

Those are new traits and like the other traits, they are not duplicant specific. The only things that are duplicant specific as far as I know are the stress and the overjoyed responses. Although, nothing prevents us from re-rolling until we get those duplicants/traits combination! :-)

From what I can see, glowstick has 3 range, so perhaps a good thing to have on a farmer to get a (very small) chance of getting a seed mutation on harvest! That is, if the radiation is enough to give a chance of mutation...

Pretty exciting update overall, looking forward for it to hit public release!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JarrettM said:

Glow Stick

As much as I love this fun idea, the trait doesn't really do much: increased resistance is not required since it is really hard to get radiation sickness in first place and small radiation doesn't really affect things. It might be good to run on a wheel to generate some power while collecting radbolts, but in the end the trait would be much more exciting if small doses of radiation were more dangerous.

Cool changes btw, it looks like the DLC is comming close to release if we are focusing on details like database entries :)

• Like 2

i've had 4 games so far with volcanic activity + frozen core not spawn with an open volcano.  either i get some hot rock against the neutronium or nothing at all.  magma channels sometimes makes the minor volcanoes not spawn as well, would be cool if the mv would spawn in the magma

i do wish the volcanic activity was more than just 1 volcano, the original was... 7? or was it 8?  volcanoes.  which was so many, it was a nuisance.  the 1 additional volcano feels a little lackluster and isn't really a problem.  maybe have a second trait to make volcanoes a problem, or have traits modify each other, like volcanic activity + magma channels = a lot of magma and a bunch of volcanoes

edit: seems to be the volcanic activity trait isn't reliable at all.  even without any other major trait it still has trouble placing it

Edited by zach123b

11 hours ago, fullerfamily said:

Loner: +4 to all attributes if alone on world (oh)

It's a pretty obvious one and most likely I can't take credit... but I am choosing to feel included and seen.  Thanks Klei... you all rock! :D:encouragement:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 1

58 minutes ago, gigamoi said:

Did anybody find stuff about what the "Lush Core" world trait is?

Rolled a bunch of time. Couldn't get it.

i got the lush core on the frozen planet, it was a forest biome at the core with a few arbor trees + pips.  i've gotten a couple subsurface ocean on the frozen asteroid too.  i haven't seen any traits/differences on the oily asteroid but i've seen the metal caves on the radioactive asteroid

• Like 2