[Game Update] - Public Testing 479858

8 hours ago, pether said:

As much as I love this fun idea, the trait doesn't really do much: increased resistance is not required since it is really hard to get radiation sickness in first place and small radiation doesn't really affect things.

The actual value is 100% uptime on Lit Workspace, so Glow Sticks are inherently 15% faster at basically everything.

• Like 9
  • Sanity 1

33 minutes ago, FoldableHuman said:

The actual value is 100% uptime on Lit Workspace, so Glow Sticks are inherently 15% faster at basically everything.

I remember cracking a stick up and making it glow...in my childhood...it was fascinating !

Dad said to me "Its radioactive" and I believed it.

image.png.21daea748a9d4ca21031bd19ad3ec33e.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, babba said:

I remember cracking a stick up and making it glow...in my childhood...it was fascinating !

Dad said to me "Its radioactive" and I believed it.

image.png.21daea748a9d4ca21031bd19ad3ec33e.png

that green stuff what glow in dark after you give him light . they are used for make radioactive materials but its have very low radiation soo mostly safe for humans

26 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

that green stuff what glow in dark after you give him light . they are used for make radioactive materials but its have very low radiation soo mostly safe for humans

You nailed it - It was indeed green light. We had visited a US army base folk festival :lemo: The stick had been in plastic wrap and needed to be bent in order to activate the light fluid. Maybe a chemical reaction :confused::confused::confused: It was pretty cool in 1985 !

I also used to stare at the green radioactive fluorescent markers on 80`s clocks at night...

image.png.0789c556202792850b7810f5e17f96be.pngimage.png.107cff66c743f484f54c0f46a681ac72.pngimage.thumb.png.3f211df0a955d8b803d9ffbe08d73a58.png

21 hours ago, Tytan said:

radioactive dupes, now the game will take off!

That is so great ! :p

18 hours ago, goboking said:

I can finally create a colony of Fallout ghouls.

image.png.2b4d6fb5f6eefd5716fdaf46e9ff7adf.png

Edited by babba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FoldableHuman said:

Another downside is because they put off light, they interrupt sleep for any dupe around them. 

oh!  and don't bother starting off with 3 Glow Stick dupes... they don't make it.

Edited by dacio_ultanca

Can you please keep the material characteristics on top of the codex entries? It is really annoying to have to scroll past a more-or-less long list of conversions when just wanting to compare some SHCs or melting points. 

The basics should always be easiest to access. The conversions are advanced things. 

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 3

The Magma Channels trait is causing pretty much the entirety of the volcanic biome in Spaced Out! (volcanoes, iron, and igneous rock) to be replaced entirely by magma.

image.thumb.png.d9d563a5e7debe83228945c50d9541c1.png

Also, without regolith to melt into magma for heat multiplication, this means having a core like this in Spaced Out! will eventually cause your starting asteroid to run out of a source of ultra-high-temp materials since the magma core will eventually (and decently quickly I think) all solidify into igneous rock due to no minor volcanoes as sources of additional heat.

Edited by durbal

On 9/24/2021 at 4:20 PM, dacio_ultanca said:

oh!  and don't bother starting off with 3 Glow Stick dupes... they don't make it.

It's like 1kg of coal every 10-20 cycles to counter the radiation sickeness they give themselves, though I guess that'd be multiplied if they're constantly in close quarters with each other.

4 hours ago, FoldableHuman said:

It's like 1kg of coal every 10-20 cycles to counter the radiation sickeness they give themselves, though I guess that'd be multiplied if they're constantly in close quarters with each other.

Using a outhouse removes 60 radiation, do you know how to acquire more then 60 radiation? because I don't. I've frequent pathing through Crushed Satellite, few dozen wheezeworts, serviced nuclear reactors, and cleaned up nuclear reactor explosions without a care in the world and never reached 100 rads which is where the first insignificant malus begins, you have to reach 900 for a dupe to die. Dupe radiation hazards has no impact on gameplay, a fully fed dupe will starve to death way faster then reaching 900 rads while sitting on top of a crushed satellite.

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

9 hours ago, Protoz2001 said:

Using a outhouse removes 60 radiation, do you know how to acquire more then 60 radiation? because I don't. I've frequent pathing through Crushed Satellite, few dozen wheezeworts, serviced nuclear reactors, and cleaned up nuclear reactor explosions without a care in the world and never reached 100 rads which is where the first insignificant malus begins, you have to reach 900 for a dupe to die. Dupe radiation hazards has no impact on gameplay, a fully fed dupe will starve to death way faster then reaching 900 rads while sitting on top of a crushed satellite.

Glow Sticks produce 112 rads per cycle, but have a 33% resistance to radiation, so only expose themselves to 75 rads per cycle. Without rad pills they give themselves minor radiation sickness every 6-7 cycles and die after ~60.

The numbers are actually a bit squidgier, though, because as dupes run around they fall out of sync with their aura, so an active dupe gives themselves a good bit less than 75 rads per cycle all-in-all, but also any other sources of radiation will accumulate.

Honestly it's the most interesting interaction with the radiation mechanics yet, even if it's solved just by making rad pills out of coal. Makes me wish more general environmental sources of radiation were strong enough to actually accumulate, since otherwise the only actual threatening radiation comes from flash-frying dupes in concentrated fallout.

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.57.41 AM.png

30 minutes ago, FoldableHuman said:

Glow Sticks produce 112 rads per cycle, but have a 33% resistance to radiation, so only expose themselves to 75 rads per cycle. Without rad pills they give themselves minor radiation sickness every 6-7 cycles and die after ~60.

The numbers are actually a bit squidgier, though, because as dupes run around they fall out of sync with their aura, so an active dupe gives themselves a good bit less than 75 rads per cycle all-in-all, but also any other sources of radiation will accumulate.

Honestly it's the most interesting interaction with the radiation mechanics yet, even if it's solved just by making rad pills out of coal. Makes me wish more general environmental sources of radiation were strong enough to actually accumulate, since otherwise the only actual threatening radiation comes from flash-frying dupes in concentrated fallout.

In the picture it shows 17r/cycle I'm guessing thats the out of sync aura? which will only get more and more out of sync as athletics goes to 20+, 17r/cycle is 43r/cycle short of it actually having a hazardous impact. I assume when dupe stand still and sleeps the amount goes up, but I doubt it'll catch up the speeds at which the outhouse deletes it.

Its interesting, may have to go as far as having a isolated bed for Glowsticks as the extreme solution, kind of like loud sleeper.

Edited by Protoz2001

24 minutes ago, FoldableHuman said:

Incoming glowstick farmers forever trapped in their own farm to maintain the radiation levels of mutated crops.

26 minutes ago, Protoz2001 said:

In the picture it shows 17r/cycle I'm guessing thats the out of sync aura? which will only get more and more out of sync as athletics goes to 20+, 17r/cycle is 43r/cycle short of it actually having a hazardous impact. I assume when dupe stand still and sleeps the amount goes up, but I doubt it'll catch up the speeds at which the outhouse deletes it.

Its interesting, may have to go as far as having a isolated bed for Glowsticks as the extreme solution, kind of like loud sleeper.

Yeah, sorry, I meant to put it inline, but just attached it to the end, but it's just to demonstrate the out-of-sync quirk, which gets the most extreme when a dupe hops down a tile and immediately walks, since radiation is weakest along diagonals.

I should also note that it flickers pretty rapidly. I don't think athletics will change it that much since it doesn't seem to me that they're outrunning it like a cloud, it's just that the position of the aura updates about half as often as dupe position, so dupes enter a tile then their aura teleports to their new position, and because of how movement works in the game the results are the most extreme when dupes hop down and to the right, or hop across 1 tile gaps.

Main thing is I think the average net is going to be closer to +10 rads/cycle rather than +15.

Thought I'll keep an eye on Leira here and see if it's any different once her athletics is higher.

Also since mechanically the radiation comes from an emitter that is attached to the dupe game object, technically it's an external source of radiation and is mitigated by dupes standing in water, since water is less transparent to radiation. This makes me suspect that Glow Sticks wearing lead suits will be immune to themselves, but it's taking me a hot minute to check since I'm testing all this on a survival map and it's a bit of work to get a lead suit to Leira's moonlet.

• Sanity 1

16 hours ago, FoldableHuman said:

Yeah, during the first few cycles they bunch up a lot and it goes bad really quickly.

Use it at your own risk.

You can modify this file, see below (comment the line disableWorldTraits and add the worldTraitRules, min, max and forbidden, if you want the startingworldtraits don't forbide the NonStartWorld tag).

The tags of each trait is in the file of the trait.image.thumb.png.191b904a0ca206ba1adb429e6b827f79.png

This is the result:

image.thumb.png.93d2c2aad7ff6c27adb81bba935fd956.png

For example, Terra with frozen core (why someone can want to loose so much energy?????)

image.thumb.png.9a0471d27918eed10a5c8a5638a889fa.png

If you don't understand nothig forget about this...

Edited by des06des