Why can't we plant reeds?

On 9/10/2021 at 8:01 PM, Zeklo said:

I feel like the fact that you want to [but can't] is part of what makes them special.

Personally I wouldn't mind a way to do it, but a simple dig and plant isn't it. 

That's fair, maybe replanting them would be too easy, some kind of farm or planter could be interesting, something that you can't just spam all over your base, but enough to have a small farm of sorts.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:38 PM, minespatch said:

I wish there was a reed farm similar to mushroom farms. Like a planter of some sort.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:45 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Reeds spawn in lakes in DS Hamlet, they also spawn on some of the little moon islands out in the ocean in DST

And in Swamps, and down in Caves and also you have a chance to get them from a Catcoon or a Tumbleweed.

I think IF reeds were made plantable/renewable then it should TOTALLY be exclusively in a new ocean biome somewhere

I don't have Hamlet so sadly that's not a source I can use, I didn't even know catcoons could drop them, I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

The kinda sad answer: because it's always been this way. Reeds being transplantable would barely affect anything imo, as the only things you might want to frequently craft with them are:
- Wickerbottom books (all of which are situational)
- Honey Poultice (just a nice luxury)
- Darts (situational, again, and the reeds are the least expensive part of them)
- Night Armor (only really fits a certain playstyle)
Which is... honestly not that much. Everything else is stuff you just might craft every once in a while. If anything, maybe reeds being transplantable would encourage crafting these items more.

I think it'd be just fine to be able to dig them up and plant them wherever you want. The early game experience of a super dangerous swamp would still be there, you just have the long-term choice of killing off the spiders (and waiting for the tentacles to die to merms) or taking the reed plants.

I think we need reed renewability or something. Maybe have a special way that we could grow more but can't dig them up. Either that overtime reed population in the swamps should increase overtime... It would safe a lot of hassle for everyone, to be honest. Someone from Klei I remember mentioning something that they'll look into reeds for that but that's all I know since. Maybe in QoL update we'll get more renewable shrubbery and what not...? I still want succulent pots to be cheaper :(

On 9/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, Behan said:

And so you actually made my point stronger.
If a WHOLE biome's identity is solely focused on ONE resource, why should anyone see this task as something other than boring and unnecessary?

But that's how most biomes are. Why visit deciduous except when you need gold? Why visit bee biome except for bees? Why visit muddy except for light bulbs? Why visit wilds except for lichen? Why visit dfly desert except for tumbleweeds & cacti? Why visit oasis except for winter's feast & cacti? Why visit ruins except for ruins equipment?

The biomes aren't these grand MMO landscapes with a hundred side activities, they have only a handful of things in them. If you think gathering reeds is so boring you can base near the swamp, base near a wormhole near the swamp, base near a sinkhole leading near an underground swamp, keep regenning the world until you get a reed trap, or just not pick reeds since you don't need them to progress.

14 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

But that's how most biomes are. Why visit deciduous except when you need gold? Why visit bee biome except for bees? Why visit muddy except for light bulbs? Why visit wilds except for lichen? Why visit dfly desert except for tumbleweeds & cacti? Why visit oasis except for winter's feast & cacti? Why visit ruins except for ruins equipment?

The biomes aren't these grand MMO landscapes with a hundred side activities, they have only a handful of things in them. If you think gathering reeds is so boring you can base near the swamp, base near a wormhole near the swamp, base near a sinkhole leading near an underground swamp, keep regenning the world until you get a reed trap, or just not pick reeds since you don't need them to progress.

Sigh.. and yet again I feel the compulsive need to point out that the biomes of DST in a game that will soon be in the year 2022, is still running on a game engine, biomes and content from a 2013 game.

Its time for massive sweeping changes to DST, If MINECRAFT can update old biomes with new scenery & content and just in general things to see, fight, gather, and do: What exactly is stopping DST?

Is Klei trying to pull in as many casual players as they possibly can so they’re afraid of any huge changes to existing content/biomes?? Did Minecraft getting Biome updates, adding new mobs and dangers scare away any of Minecraft’s casuals?

My entire point is it’s time for huge changes that really shake things up on a whole new level… and I can only Hope Klei’s thinking on this level. Maybe not NOW but sometime in the future.

Maybe Reeds could for example become able to renew themselves if they are grown inside a damp & dark area like the Lunar Mush Grotto.

I would also LOVE it if the in-game biomes actually matched the animated shorts Klei depicts of them (for example Swamp Biome having different types of trees and crows that actually sit in them and spiders that crawl over their nests like in the animations..)

I want to see Klei Amp things up to 11.. it’s long overdue I feel.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

None of the things you pointed are in any way parallel to reeds.

Chill bro.

17 minutes ago, Behan said:

None of the things you pointed are in any way parallel to reeds.

Chill bro.

Where else are you to get lightbulbs except underground? Where else are you to get a good source of gold except pig king? You need to stop projecting your anger and realize what you said is nonsense.

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Where else are you to get lightbulbs except underground? Where else are you to get a good source of gold except pig king? You need to stop projecting your anger and realize what you said is nonsense.

it must be a semantics issue. maybe reading what you said over and over can help you. exercise helps you develop new synapses.

best of luck in your quest :D

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

You can get lightbulbs by making reanimated skeleton at night, so you dont have to go below and harvest.
You can get steady amount of gold with earth quake if you base underground, so you dont have to go above and trade.

Even if you base in swamp, gathering reeds still a pain compare to gather other resources, and basing near swamp increase the chance wild fire start at reed during summer.

Klei did make everything renewable/replant able, except for reeds.

People just like to disagree with other when they want the game to be more easy, but if klei really implement them, they would react differently. Imagine this post be "Please make beefalo can travel to cave and log out with you", and posted 3 years ago, i'm sure there will be 20 people say "no". Take a look at year of beefalo update, the best update i ever experienced.

Beefalo can go into caves, and also log out the game with you now: But Klei also did not completely overhaul caves content to account for now having them down there. (What I mean by this is mob encounters are still programmed towards the player walking around on foot.. when they could’ve probably increased the mobs numbers or health’s to account for having literal tanks full of Health to ride around on now.)

However that’s completely irrelevant to the topic of why can’t Reeds be renewable- And the answer to that is they already ARE although in painfully Obscure ways: Like getting them by percent chance from opening tumbleweeds or giving Catcoons gifts letting them hack them up in a furball for you.

What you CAN’T do is shovel up the Reeds and take them to your own base to plant them.. I was never a fan of a open world Wilderness game where you can bring all the worlds resources to your location and literally never have to leave base to do anything- I almost ALWAYS play exclusively off living off the land and the resources In the land in the exact locations they spawn in never relocating them (unless they become uprooted by natural causes like Bearger or Meteor Shower) It is really FUN (for me at least) to play the game in this way: Because you ALWAYS have to quest around the map to gather what you need from the LOCATION you need it from..

Point A to Point B travel, Reeds being one more thing on the list you can just add to your base would give players no reasons to ever leave base to gather.. then the game just becomes boring base simulator 3000.

What I would PREFER was if more resources only grew in a certain Area & couldn’t be relocated to your base, Maybe even extend that so that certain RWYS garden planets prefer to be grown in a specific Biome or season- Basically forcing the player to spend more time exploring around the map instead of sitting in a base doing much of nothing.

The TL:DR- I’m fine with Reeds being plantable but only within a few KEY Biome locations (like a new at sea Hamlet style area) Not just regrown right in the comfort of your own home. Much like needing to quest out to sea to gather Salt for more Salt Boxes, and fighting off cookie cutters in the process.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Beefalo can go into caves, and also log out the game with you now: But Klei also did not completely overhaul caves content to account for now having them down there. (What I mean by this is mob encounters are still programmed towards the player walking around on foot.. when they could’ve probably increased the mobs numbers or health’s to account for having literal tanks full of Health to ride around on now.)

There isnt any beefalo mechanic that can mess caves mobs. Beefalos also, are already balanced in terms of fight

And the funniest thing is that the caves are one of the most dangerous areas for a beefalo since rooks can kill mobs very quickly

I dont a reason why we can get reeds like we get stonefruit sapplings or a way to get reeds, berries, etc

People saying that needing to leave the base to gather resources makes the game harder sounds like not knowing how to play. The only danger outside of base are hounds so i dont see why we cant get a celestial tab tier shovel to replant cacti or reeds

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can also get them from Killing Skittersquid now :lol:

Yes but we were talking about actually farming bulbs not waiting the lotery xd

I would like to take this opportunity to tell everyone to stay calm. A discussion is a discussion, you will agree or disagree but we can talk civil and have interesting arguments instead of attacking each other for different ideas just because the game has always been like this.

I'm more with leaving reeds as they are now but i must admit some ideas from @Mike23Ua and @minespatch are pretty compelling!  :encouragement:

And @Behan put a nice debate here, why, for example, lichens and banana's tree are limit and stationary resources but stone fruit bush don't? 

6 hours ago, Milordo said:

I would like to take this opportunity to tell everyone to stay calm. A discussion is a discussion, you will agree or disagree but we can talk civil and have interesting arguments instead of attacking each other for different ideas just because the game has always been like this.

I'm more with leaving reeds as they are now but i must admit some ideas from @Mike23Ua and @minespatch are pretty compelling!  :encouragement:

And @Behan put a nice debate here, why, for example, lichens and banana's tree are limit and stationary resources but stone fruit bush don't? 

Well, I cant possible know. As someone said above, lunar biome stuff is lorewise mutated by moon power, so it shouldnt be possible to replant ii outside said biome (but it is). That is the logic behind lichens and whatelse - lichens need humid, dark places etc., but that's common sense, there is no real and objective explanation for most resources.

Reeds follow a similar logic, but they are bound to only one conditional, which is being dependent of water, a condition that the player can work around easily (replant turf or plant reeds next to ponds. We also have a watering can at our disposal if they are looking dry). 

Thing is, this post wasn't supposed to be about how it would be implemented. Devs can worry about that, they know it better. It was supposed to be about why cant we plant it and what would be the impacts if we could. So my complete and final response to the topic is as follows:

I don't think there would be any negative impacts, since replanting often involves digging, which means extra time standing still in the marsh early game, which is pretty much when it represents any treat, so the dangerous-to-get aspect is covered. It would trivialize honey poultice production, yes, but that would only make it viable and usable considering how much healing food is better. It would also make blow darts less of a pain to make, but those still require feathers, which is work enough imo.

The BIGGEST win would be basing aesthics. That says enough about the matter.

I think people are getting too caught up in reeds being a plant and thus needing to be transplantable. I don't think they should be movable for the same reason I don't think pig king, the moon altar, meteor fields, etc should be movable; they are a unique feature of a biome.

Reeds are a very powerful resource anyways and camping near them or having a fast way to them greatly rewards you.

Honey poultice- With 40 reeds you could have 300 worth of healing every 4 days, including winter. Unlike food it doesn't spoil and could be stockpiled forever.

Night armor- When is armor only relevant to a certain playstyle? Never. Its armor and armor is never irrelevant unless you've turned off all threats in the world forever. Again, with 40 reeds you can potentially look at 3 night armors every 4 days. On top of that night armor is one the best armors in the whole game.

There should be a line drawn at how much the player can bring to their base. The line has been drawn multiple times throughout the many iterations of don't starve. Incentives that coerce the players discission on where they set their primary base is part of the core gameplay and difficulty (traveling during winter/summer/rain). How they decide to integrate travel time to their yearly in-game schedules is a part of the gameplay loop (and difficulty). The game will run out of ways to surprise you (and instigate violence upon you) with everything at your doorstep. 

I don't think it will make too much difference to my gameplay (the only thing I use reeds for is my annual floral shirt, and that's not because I have to: I just like the shirt), but I enjoy thinking about farms and resource renewability, so here's my thoughts.

1. I think a reed planter would be way too similar to the mushroom planter, which I already find utterly underwhelming.
  2. If reeds are made to be transplantable, at a bare minimum they should only be transplantable on marsh turf. To make this a bit more interesting, perhaps reeds could grow only in marsh turf that is connected to the swamp? So to grow elsewhere you'd need to build a long marsh road from swamp to base.
  3. Alternatively, we could have some way to duplicate reeds within the swamp, so players could make their own reed trap set pieces if they don't have one.

I think this last idea has the most potential. The simplest implementation would be to allow players to fertilize reeds, causing them to generate another reed plant in the vicinity of the first.

Better yet, perhaps a particular resource could be fed to a tentacle to cause it to generate a reed plant. 

A third option might be to allow Merms to plant reeds in tilled soil if you deploy a garden digamajig and till the soil near them. This would be an especially neat mechanic for Wurt, whose ability to build Merm houses means she can farm reeds anywhere.

Archived