[Game Update] - Public Testing 475139

• Developer

Hi everyone,

In today’s update to the Public Testing branch we’ve added gas and liquid plumbing ports to Spacefarer modules. This should allow for easier supplying of rocket interiors and venting of unwanted fluids. 

Duplicants wearing suits and masks are once again able to use sinks and hand sanitizers. We decided to restore this behavior after experimenting with a more constrained ruleset.

We’ve also included a number of bug fixes, and you may notice Radbolt performance improvements too.

As always, if you'd like to try the Public Testing branch you can follow the instructions listed here.

• Changes & Improvements
    • Duplicants wearing suits are once again able to use hand sanitizer stations/sinks.
    • Spaced Out! Only
      • Added Rocket Interior Ports to allow for directly piping gas and liquid into the rocket interior. Existing rockets will need to be rebuilt to make use of these. 
      • Gasses and Liquids can now be vented to space using rocket interior ports while the rocket is in space.
      • Minor changes to Wall Toilet artwork
      • Increase the number of background orbiting objects while a rocket is at a Space POI
  • Fixes
    • Spaced Out! Only
      • Fixed an issue causing poor Radbolt performance. They no longer slow down the game dramatically while in motion.
      • Interplanetary Launcher now correctly displays ports during placement
      • Fixed issue allowing for Duplicants to be duplicated inside of rocket Trailblazer Modules..
      • It's no longer possible to assign a Duplicant to multiple Trailblazer Landers simultaneously 
      • Escape pods and rocket debris are no longer made of Genetic Ooze.
      • Fixed codex biome icons with white backgrounds and added a new icon for the Regolith biome.
      • Fixed title typo for Dasha Salt Vine codex entry
      • Fixed invalid name for Escape Pods and Rocket Debris
      • Fixed landed Radbolt Engine emitting radiation for one frame on load.

View full update

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 2

15 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

Hi everyone,

Duplicants wearing suits and masks are once again able to use sinks and hand sanitizers. We decided to restore this behavior after experimenting with a more constrained ruleset.

Hi.

To me it still doesn't make sense to change rules in an already finished and released game. It's perfectly fine to add options however, make it a choice by a tickbox for players that want a change or a different challenge. The same with food freshness in the vanilla game for example, make it an option that people can choose to play with or not. What I don't like is forcing players to play in a certain way, give us the choice to play however we want.

Which options is on by default is entirely up to you but just give us the option to opt out if we want.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Like 4
  • Big Ups 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

6 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

Duplicants wearing suits are once again able to use hand sanitizer stations/sinks.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Side note: Fertilizer synthesizer's ingame description says it uses polluted dirt instead of saying it uses polluted water306968476_fertilizererror.thumb.png.594e67212234ed0eeca507a19c710f2f.png

• Like 2

Thanks for reverting the change about suits & sinks. This meant an unecessary change to existing colonies, that was not very welcomed on vanilla. As a player on vanilla that opted out of playing Spaced Out (despite owning it), I really value a stable game that won't change.

While this update is certainly good for SO players, it's still disappointing that it doesn't address any long-standing vanilla bug nor any bug introduced by mergedown. As a vanilla player, mergedown is a step down in quality. Rolling back to the beta previous version is not much of an option either because I value mods, and a lot of mods dropped the legacy vanilla compatibility already.

Minor nitpick, this is for both base game as well as SO:

618720839_researchiffy.png.d316b6cd05d6109f42f7ec8bdf4b5153.png

My guess is that this is some leftover text... Could an undying soul confirm that maybe the CO2 skimmer was once in this research area?

The ore scrubber is a liquid-based refinement doodad, of course. I would have believed it to be in decontamination, seriously...

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 1

39 minutes ago, JarrettM said:

In today’s update to the Public Testing branch we’ve added gas and liquid plumbing ports to Spacefarer modules. This should allow for easier supplying of rocket interiors and venting of unwanted fluids. 

Excellent. I just had dupes hand-carry 4t of water into a rocket habitation module. Nice I do not have to do that again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JarrettM said:
  • Added Rocket Interior Ports to allow for directly piping gas and liquid into the rocket interior. Existing rockets will need to be rebuilt to make use of these. 

This is making me a very happy camper as this means I can use a regular liquid tank inside my capsule to store water for the toilet. I actually noticed these just a moment ago too. When I restarted my game a few hours ago, I saw there had been an update, but didn't seen any news about one, so figured, I'll find the list of things updated later. Then just now, I built a new capsule for a rocket, and I noticed the inlets/outlets. :)

• Like 1

Whoa, finally getting good piping for rocketry!

Will we be seeing any improvements to Scout Rovers, though? Between how little they can build, their inability to recharge or even be deconstructed, and their inability to dig very far into more hostile planetoids, it's really hard to see any good use for them.
I would at least expect them to get some kind of slow digging for harder materials, and be deconstructible for cleaning them up.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, suicide commando said:

This is making me a very happy camper as this means I can use a regular liquid tank inside my capsule to store water for the toilet.

You could do it before, I used a pump and had Dupes dump the water on the floor via a Bottle Emptier. But it is tedious. 

Edited by Gurgel

3 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

You could do it before, I used a pump and had Dupes dump the water on the floor via a Bottle Emptier. But it is tedious. 

True, but as you said, it's tedious, and you need to deconstruct/reconstruct infrastructure in there every time you need to refill your tank.

• Like 2

I have found a small issue with the new connectors. They don't work with the loaders. So you have to run pipes to the capsule to load/unload directly from the capsule. having them plug into the loading system would be a nice to have.

Another thing I noticed was that the new location sensor for inside rockets has the 'space' location. However, this entails all of space, not a specific point in space. Being able to designate a specific point in space for that sensor would be very useful in making notifications when a rocket has arrived at it's space destination ( such as when exploring, or when on a mining mission )

Edited by suicide commando

41 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Another thing I noticed was that the new location sensor for inside rockets has the 'space' location. However, this entails all of space, not a specific point in space. Being able to designate a specific point in space for that sensor would be very useful in making notifications when a rocket has arrived at it's space destination ( such as when exploring, or when on a mining mission )

Maybe adding "Is rocket stopped" sensor will totally suit for that. 

On 8/18/2021 at 11:51 AM, Saturnus said:

Hi.

To me it still doesn't make sense to change rules in an already finished and released game. 

I agree with this to some degree.   Balances and fixes are still needed.     Probably best to not mess with the base game but in a dlc it will be entirely different experience and dlc can be disabled. 

Durability of the suits is something I'm not a big fan of.  But I suppose they're needing to find some sort of use for Reed farming and white drecko shredding.

I think it would have been better if they figured out new uses for fiber instead of durability upkeeping.   At least repairs don't require new metal. 

Edited by RonEmpire

Still struggling to wrap my head around all the pushback against food mechanics repair. I am glad that those people complaining are not incharge of designing this game, or we would have ended up with a book length options menu or a totally watered down experience.  'Choice, no matter how nonsensical, is everything afterall.'

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1