No reason to want Tackle Box skins

On 8/19/2021 at 4:15 PM, Mike23Ua said:

My personal opinion is that Klei shouldn’t make too many skins for lesser used, least common items.. not many people would buy this skin because only a small group of individuals would know how to use this skin.

Case in point: I bought the Hallowed Nights belongings set last year- And I STILL can’t kill Dragonfly to get the Adorable larvae egg needed to craft the vampire broodling pet.

Why such a literally meaningless thing was tied behind having to kill a boss with a small CHANCE it will drop the items needed to craft I will NEVER know..

However- things like the new Beach Tent skin and Lighthouse skin these are the COMMON Items I am referring to- Everyone SHOULD be crafting & crafting often.

Items people craft OFTEN should take top priority over things few people even know exist at all.

Yesterday was my first time being inside of a Moon Storm & I only experienced that because I choose to join someone’s world and clean sweep their base with the skins I owned..

The tackle boxes aren’t TOO obscure all you need to do is 

Reveal hidden contents

Find Pearl and get her to like you enough to give you the crafting recipes.

However: And again back to my point- Few people are going to actually know how to DO this & instead spend way more time crafting Head garlands & top hats to manage their Sanity.

I honestly feel like if you DON’T come to these forums (and more importantly read the patch notes..) there is a TON of Content and Craftables that people simply won’t EVER even know exist.

Building a Boat & putting a mast on it is easy, killing several bosses gathering some items- Activating an event all in the name of using that cool new skin for the Astro-Goggles is NOT.

TL:DR- More skins for commonly used items, less for obscured ones please!

Or better yet fix the ever-present issue of the combat gap I talked about a while back. You are lucky enough to manage getting some silk yourself to begin with, let alone getting pig skin, both of which are crucial resources for progressing in the game most if not all of the time. Then we can have rare, late-game items with much more skins that are discovered and obtained by many more players instead of those who ask around and look at guides being ones that actually might have some sort of value to them.

A good example of a stupid decision in skin making from before this can be seen in the deconstruction staff. I don't have the clockwork deconstruction staff skin and never will unless by random chance I'm given it for free. Why? Because the item is the most disposable thing in existence. You have it around for 10 seconds before it's gone, used up. You never hold onto it, there is no other reason for it to exist in your inventory other than deconstructing something. Why would I waste spools or money for that matter on a skin that has basically zero sentimental value because of how disposable the item the skin applies to is? If the deconstruction staff was something you held onto, something you carried, something you used often later in the game, something that didn't just have 5 durability and then it's gone, then that skin would have much more value, but as of right now it's like whoever created art for that skin wasted their time and effort and whoever paid money to get that skin wasted some of their money.

This can even be seen purely for-profit reasons to Klei, and considering their situation, they could really do with more incentives for their customers to pay them money. If you want more people to want and buy your skins, make the things that the skins apply for actually valuable, otherwise the skin itself has just as little value as the thing it applies for itself.

Reason I addressed Tackle Box skins specifically is because they are such a niche and unknown item that having skins for them in the first place doesn't make sense. Many professional players I've played with didn't even know what a Tackle Box was, and why would they? Fishing is a grindy and unrewarding task. Imagine how much more valuable and desirable the Tackle Box items would be if you could store anything in them. Tents are often used by new players and sometimes professionals when they can, that's why they weren't a talking point to this thread for me, but they are a structure that could be improved as well, like having infinite uses in a multiplayer setting, it wouldn't really break the balance.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, goblinball said:

Just because you wouldnt use a tackle box skin doesn’t mean other people won’t.

I don't really want to respond to such discussion-terminating posts because it's pointless, but I found this one quite funny. The most smooth brain response I've ever seen, talking as if I never considered this train of thought and reasoning. Very clever! :D

14 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

I don't really want to respond to such discussion-terminating posts because it's pointless, but I found this one quite funny. The most smooth brain response I've ever seen, talking as if I never considered this train of thought and reasoning. Very clever! :D

The "passive" agressiveness was uncalled for.

Just now, Just-guy said:

The "passive" agressiveness was uncalled for.

Half this thread if passive-aggressive and I chose for the most part to not touch on any of that, and now it seems because I pointed out one for the fun and ridiculousness of it all I'm being pulled in but oh well.

I Never said Klei SHOULDN’T make skins for later game items.. because there are SOME players that are skilled enough at the game to get these items quite often.. however: Those players are in Minority.. and if Klei wants to sell items like Hot Cakes (do people still use this term? :lol:) then there should be LESS focus on late game stuff and more focus on things that are crafted much more often.

As much as I absolutely LOVE some of the Garland & Parasol skins, those items SPOIL and you can’t even just leave them laying around to look pretty in your base for decoration BECAUSE they Spoil..

You know what ELSE used to spoil? Backpacks! Now Backpacks have many cool skins and no longer spoil.. 

There are many items in this game I’ve rarely used, many more I’ve never seen: Such as any use at all for Orange gems, let me put this in a way EVERYONE can understand- Klei needs to make & design more content that is NOT designed for the Youtubers, the Twitch Streamers, the “so called” Experts, The PC players who use mods/look into the games files to know the in’s and out’s of what every little thing does, I would even go so far as to say they don’t even need to be designing content and skins based on being GAME DEVELOPERS, instead they need to look at it as if they are someone who maybe see’s Don’t Starve On the Xbox Gamepass (which hilariously it just exited the pass on the 8th of this Month) and is like “Hmm? What’s that? Installs it.. dies many many inexperienced deaths- but crafts many things and learns in the process.

Several “advanced items” I absolutely LOVE the skins for such as: Krampus Sack, Tam’O & Beefalo Saddles, But these items only see Minority use by people who actually KNOW how to use them.

The TL:DR version of this post is there should be MORE skins for Science Machines & Alchemy Engines then there are for things that see minority use, or worse.. Spoils shortly after being crafted.

41 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

I can’t believe I’m being bullied on the klei forums this is so sad!!! (All jokes aside was this hostility really necessary??? This is supposed to be a place for discussion not for stuff like this) 

43 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

You are lucky enough to manage getting some silk yourself to begin with

Silk????? Rare????? What?????

44 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

Reason I addressed Tackle Box skins specifically is because they are such a niche and unknown item that having skins for them in the first place doesn't make sense.

An item doesn’t need to be insanely popular or something to get skins. I don’t understand what the big deal with the tackle box getting skins is. Plus, plenty of people do use the tackle box, it just isn’t as widely-used as something like backpacks or football helmets.

11 minutes ago, goblinball said:

I don't think this person has made spider farms after Tier 3 is done? Silk farming is pretty plentiful once you let the queen live. She plops eggs down and recreates the process so You can destroy the original tier three egg and plant it in another ;location of your choice. Helps if you allow Bearger to kill the queen. :wilson_sneaky:

3 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

A good example of a stupid decision in skin making from before this can be seen in the deconstruction staff. I don't have the clockwork deconstruction staff skin and never will unless by random chance I'm given it for free. Why? Because the item is the most disposable thing in existence. You have it around for 10 seconds before it's gone, used up. You never hold onto it, there is no other reason for it to exist in your inventory other than deconstructing something. Why would I waste spools or money for that matter on a skin that has basically zero sentimental value because of how disposable the item the skin applies to is? If the deconstruction staff was something you held onto, something you carried, something you used often later in the game, something that didn't just have 5 durability and then it's gone, then that skin would have much more value, but as of right now it's like whoever created art for that skin wasted their time and effort and whoever paid money to get that skin wasted some of their money.

Your experiences aren't universal. When I play with friends who use the ruins, we build up tons of skinned deconstruction staffs laying around in the storage area, because they get crafted in bulk and are then left on the surface until we need them. So I see this skin a lot every play session!

3 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Fishing is a grindy and unrewarding task. Imagine how much more valuable and desirable the Tackle Box items would be if you could store anything in them.

In a similar vein, your opinions on fishing are not the consensus and shouldn't be a reason to completely dismiss that anyone would use a skin. Fishing is not only a very fun thing to do, especially if friends are competing with you, but it's also really rewarding imo. Both with the amount of food you get just from a single school of fish, and the special seasonal ones (sunfish and ice bream). I find myself sometimes amassing a whole fishin' bin of sweetish fish while I'm in a waterlogged biome collecting figs, which is kind of awesome for how little effort I put in!

Wait, am I the only one that uses staffs as decoration? Ill place the staffs around the magic circle (the focus) and pretend Im a Wizard haha! 

Ill also place fire and ice staffs on either side of the winters feast oven and pretend I use them to cook, lmao.

Maybe I'm stupid idk.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:00 PM, viberr said:

"thank you for wasting like 15 minutes of your time to reply with your own perspective..... I completely disagree" heh most people are pretty stubborn when it comes to their opinions(btw I'm not insulting you Gi-Go, I'm just mocking the way anyone can just say "I agree to disagree" and then stop the conversation)

I mean, if you care I can reply. It seemed like people are content with their gameplay choices already so I didn't bothered. 

Stone Bush sucks. It has a long harvest animation and with a 34% rock chance you get 1 rock per harvest on average. Then you have to blow them up and pick them up. Bearger method requires just running from Bearger. You get stucks of rocks and all you have to do is pick them up. If you are fancy you can simply place a bunch of lureplants on the rock field and they will harvest them for you. 

Mush light being infinite is not useful even if people asked for it. I'm not saying that it's a horrble addition, it's nice that people got what they wanted, it's just not useful + the exsecution is really poor. It's just a bland excuse to make people repeat moon champ. This boss is embarrassing. There could have been far better executions. Spores could have lasted infinitely on their own cuz why the heck not? Or we could have had an option to put fireflys in these lamps. Do I really have explain why lamp is not a good endgame goal? Imagine farming ancient fuelweaver but instead of reseting ruins he gives you 10 fancy ruins turfs for your mega base. 

Ice box and salt box. I'm simply speaking from game experience: I got myself salt box since I need cookies for hermit regardless. And i did not find it to be of any use. Bundles if I need food for later and icebox if I need it soon. Is it too mutch to ask for a complete spoilage denial? It doesn't work on half the items icebox can hold anyways. When I hang out at mega bases both ice boxes and salt boxes are filled with rot, so what's the point? 

Drying racks. Once again - long harvest animation, literally no benefit. What is this, 2014? We have other options people. 

Kelp is good for sanity. Who cares? Hive hat for ruins, jelly salad for farmers and bone helmet can be used anywhere for getting both sanity and nightmare fuel at the same time. 

The amount of restrictions moon champ hat has is absurd. If you stay afk then sure this is a great item.

If you deside to use it in ruins tho... you will need a body armor, another sanity source and another light source. It's just unreliable trash. Since you need all those other things you may as well use only those things. You can use it for bosses I guess but haven't they had enough? This is just bulling. 

Anyways, here are my 15 minutes. Feel free to disagree.

35 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Anyways, here are my 15 minutes. Feel free to disagree.

Don’t worry, I’ll do my best! : P

36 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Stone Bush sucks. It has a long harvest animation and with a 34% rock chance you get 1 rock per harvest on average. Then you have to blow them up and pick them up. Bearger method requires just running from Bearger. You get stucks of rocks and all you have to do is pick them up. If you are fancy you can simply place a bunch of lureplants on the rock field and they will harvest them for you. 

The harvesting animation is definitely the worst thing, I’ll give it that. Breaking/harvesting them specifically for rocks isn’t really that difficult, though. You blow through the stacks using some gunpowder/ a weather pain use, burn the stone fruit (and if you need sprouts, using a lazy forager beforehand to pickup them), and then pickup the rocks. It’s not going to blow through records as it did before applied horticulture got nerfed, but compared to other sources is still fairly alright.

39 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Mush light being infinite is not useful even if people asked for it. I'm not saying that it's a horrble addition, it's nice that people got what they wanted, it's just not useful + the exsecution is really poor. It's just a bland excuse to make people repeat moon champ. This boss is embarrassing. There could have been far better executions. Spores could have lasted infinitely on their own cuz why the heck not? Or we could have had an option to put fireflys in these lamps. Do I really have explain why lamp is not a good endgame goal? Imagine farming ancient fuelweaver but instead of reseting ruins he gives you 10 fancy ruins turfs for your mega base. 

I can understand the reasoning behind this. While I actually like the champion fight quite a bit, the event before the champion is just painful. Minus the full moons you get every day, 95% of the reason you would ever partake in the event is to just get to the champion, which sucks. I still wish they made finishing the lunar siphonator cheaper after the first kill…

It is a bit unfortunate that mushlights require another boss in order to actually be infinite for endgame bases, but other then the moonstorm it’s passable. 5 full lights can certainly  add up overtime, and them being able to stop the spoilage of both spores inside of the lights and in the shard itself is pretty decent.

47 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Ice box and salt box. I'm simply speaking from game experience: I got myself salt box since I need cookies for hermit regardless. And i did not find it to be of any use. Bundles if I need food for later and icebox if I need it soon. Is it too mutch to ask for a complete spoilage denial? It doesn't work on half the items icebox can hold anyways. When I hang out at mega bases both ice boxes and salt boxes are filled with rot, so what's the point? 

If you haven’t found any use from it from your game experience, then that’s fair enough. I’ve personally got a lot of decent use out of the saltbox, but playstyles vary, and that’s understandable.

49 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Drying racks. Once again - long harvest animation, literally no benefit. What is this, 2014? We have other options people. 

The harvest animation (and I guess rain stopping drying which makes it a bit inconvenient in spring) is literally the only real negative thing about the drying rack. In return you get major improvements to meat you dry on it, both in hp/sanity and spoilage time. I’ve personally been using them ever since I realized how good jerky was in 2015, and while I don’t use them as often as I did back then for drying meats, it’s still an option I can respect.

52 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Kelp is good for sanity. Who cares? Hive hat for ruins, jelly salad for farmers and bone helmet can be used anywhere for getting both sanity and nightmare fuel at the same time. 

The issue with foods like jelly salad it’s it’s spoilage time is not ideal for a sanity food. It spoils in 6 days, and because food doesn’t offer sanity when stale it actually means it loses 90% of value in 3 days. Kelp by comparison will start becoming stale after 10 days, more then 3 times the length of the jelly salad. 

The bee queen crown is alright for ruins, but it’s certainly not my favorite option, especially for low sanity characters. The fact you will likely need a nightmare light for it will likely bring up some shadow creature attacks, which while easy to deal with can be undesirable, especially if multiple lights are in the area. If you are doing things like using the cave stalker for ruins though, then it’s pretty nice.

I can’t really comment on bone helm method as it’s easily the least used one I’ve done and success with it can vary based on how fast you can kill the shadows, but I will respect it as an alright sanity method.

58 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

The amount of restrictions moon champ hat has is absurd. If you stay afk then sure this is a great item.

If you deside to use it in ruins tho... you will need a body armor, another sanity source and another light source. It's just unreliable trash. Since you need all those other things you may as well use only those things. 

I don’t see what you mean about the body armor argument. If you are using the miner hat, which is basically the same thing as the crown in terms of light, you are also using body armor, right? It also helps that bone armor is really nice in general for repeated ruins clears, especially since it allows you to block the Bishop attacks with 2 armors.

The sanity source is necessary for me, but I also usually brought food to counteract this in the form of dried kelp, and it complements the crown quite well. You kill clockworks in 9-10 hits, and 1 dried kelp will almost always recover the sanity you just lost from killing the clockwork. Even if the light from the crown does turn off due to you not being careful, it’s very easy to eat 1 kelp and reactivate it since it’s incredibly unlikely you lost more then 10 sanity in between the light turning off and eating the kelp. I don’t really need an extra light source, but I do keep a lantern in the event something occurs that I wasn’t expecting (mainly because I’m worried I might run out of kelp to refuel the crown, but I usually have around 20 or so kelp once I’m done clearing the ruins, so it isn’t too likely).

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

You can use it for bosses I guess but haven't they had enough? This is just bulling. 

Of course not! Bee queen keeps dropping 1 honeycomb when I KNOW she’s holding back dropping a second, and they will pay the price for it!

In all seriousness, this is probably the part where I have used the crown the least. Admittedly part of it is because by the time I get the crown, I usually have setups to deal with the bosses I repeat constantly to make them significantly easier. I don’t think it’s bad for that use though, especially on select bosses that might be a pain to farm. Take moose goose, for instance. With around 10 spawning spots, you are very likely not going to prepare every single spawning spot in order to take them out faster, but you still want their drops as the weather pain/luxury fan is pretty powerful. The crown helps with this fairly well, as with a bit of sanity food she can be taken down noticeably faster then without it, and you are also likely to kill the moslings before they can spin again as well. 

Another (but more niche) case for me is antlion. My world has a meteor field nearby the spawner so it’s risky to try to build any sort of arena that would make the fight quicker/easier for me. When I start the fight, I equip the crown + bone armor, and I’m able to usually get ~15 strikes before it becomes unsafe to manage. I find that even if it’s not that much damage, it still speeds up the fight by a good amount, especially since antlion seems to massively pick up in attack speed as the fight continues, so killing it as fast as possible is generally a good idea.

Its not great against every boss, especially on deerclops/fuelweaver where they destroy your sanity already if you are not wearing a bee queen crown, but it has its moments at being a nice way to speed up specific fights in the lategame.

Actually the new loading screen menu shows a tattered busted up boat mast… I would like that as an actual mast skin Klei please and thanks!

(did not feel like making an entire thread about it so figured here is as good a place as any to ask) 

On 8/13/2021 at 5:48 PM, Hornete said:

I really wish theyd make the life giving amulet skins apply to all the other amulets, might as well.

THIS!! I've been hoping they'd make the skins apply to each of the amulet types since they're all almost identical, the heart one would look amazing on ones like the Purple and Ice I feel. 

On 8/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, goblinball said:

Didn't specify rare, you misinterpreted. Not necessarily rare (though that scenario is not out of the question) just likely difficult for a new player to get a substantial amount of. A new player is very likely to die to spiders attempting to gather some silk simply because learning and understanding combat on your own is pretty much impossible, hence the topic of combat gap. If you've played for even a few dozen hours and did not think much of it I wouldn't expect you to understand.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:18 PM, minespatch said:

I don't think this person has made spider farms after Tier 3 is done? Silk farming is pretty plentiful once you let the queen live. She plops eggs down and recreates the process so You can destroy the original tier three egg and plant it in another ;location of your choice. Helps if you allow Bearger to kill the queen. :wilson_sneaky:

I probably have as much if not more hours in the game as you. I know what I'm talking about, but I don't think you know what I am talking about. Point in question addressed (sort of) above. Sorry for all this redirection, it just kind of happens :D

On 8/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, goblinball said:

An item doesn’t need to be insanely popular or something to get skins. I don’t understand what the big deal with the tackle box getting skins is. Plus, plenty of people do use the tackle box, it just isn’t as widely-used as something like backpacks or football helmets.

I explained exactly what the deal is in great detail before. Re-read one of my previous posts, really try to grasp what I'm saying, if you still don't understand what I'm trying to get across then understanding at least some of my points for you at this juncture is probably a lost cause unfortunately.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I Never said Klei SHOULDN’T make skins for later game items.. because there are SOME players that are skilled enough at the game to get these items quite often.. however: Those players are in Minority.. and if Klei wants to sell items like Hot Cakes (do people still use this term? :lol:) then there should be LESS focus on late game stuff and more focus on things that are crafted much more often.

As much as I absolutely LOVE some of the Garland & Parasol skins, those items SPOIL and you can’t even just leave them laying around to look pretty in your base for decoration BECAUSE they Spoil..

You know what ELSE used to spoil? Backpacks! Now Backpacks have many cool skins and no longer spoil.. 

There are many items in this game I’ve rarely used, many more I’ve never seen: Such as any use at all for Orange gems, let me put this in a way EVERYONE can understand- Klei needs to make & design more content that is NOT designed for the Youtubers, the Twitch Streamers, the “so called” Experts, The PC players who use mods/look into the games files to know the in’s and out’s of what every little thing does, I would even go so far as to say they don’t even need to be designing content and skins based on being GAME DEVELOPERS, instead they need to look at it as if they are someone who maybe see’s Don’t Starve On the Xbox Gamepass (which hilariously it just exited the pass on the 8th of this Month) and is like “Hmm? What’s that? Installs it.. dies many many inexperienced deaths- but crafts many things and learns in the process.

Several “advanced items” I absolutely LOVE the skins for such as: Krampus Sack, Tam’O & Beefalo Saddles, But these items only see Minority use by people who actually KNOW how to use them.

The TL:DR version of this post is there should be MORE skins for Science Machines & Alchemy Engines then there are for things that see minority use, or worse.. Spoils shortly after being crafted.

Music to my ears! Reiterating kind of what's already been mentioned I suppose, but whatever. It definitely makes more sense for much more reachable content to have more skins, available for new players to want.

But it shouldn't be the end of it. I personally think that for rare items, obscure items hard-to-get items to have skins more desirable (which for a game to be regarded as well designed should be the case), if they are made, the items in question themselves need to be much more useful and desirable, AND they need to be much more reasonably reachable by players. This will play in long-term for making sure more people can access later content. Sure, it would be a long and hard balancing act but the payoff can be immense.

For years the game has been in a state which you could consider "niche", which really is not something to be pointed out as a good or even an ok thing. Not always, but usually I have found that what this actually implies is that the game is terribly designed; the player will be left never understanding what to do and they will not be able to progress without looking things up, constantly asking other players how to do the most basic things, playing for hundreds/thousands of hours and grinding the hell out of the game to the point where the game typically isn't even fun anymore.

I’m not going to copy any of that and will just state that not everyone has the same idea for what they consider “Fun” for me- Learning things On my OWN is what’s most enjoyable about Dont Starve Together, Knowledge most people probably follow as “Meta” I played this game for many many MANY YEARS just going around fighting things with a common spear & log suit- 

BECAUSE I did not know that crafting one relatively simple food dish restores ridiculous amounts of Health points to the absurd point that using the games actual dedicated Healing tab is completely irrelevant thanks to nice Food dishes that make the healing tabs entire existence questionable 

(God Klei I sincerely hope your working an “Hardcore Mode” where eating food of any type will not heal you..!) 

But if you want to ask why I ran around using just a common Spear instead of crafting a Hambat or X better weapon here- It’s likely because Spears have the most cool skins and are easy to craft (plus not going to lie… a WEAPON with a spoiling duration from the moment it’s crafted scared me into not wanting to use Hambat at all.

The problem with that is many of the games various mobs are designed to be fought with Hambat instead of Spear (try fighting off Cookie Cutters with a Spear it’s an experience I had to learn the hard way..)

For me what makes the franchise fun and exciting is learning these things for myself- rather then just looking it up on Wiki or having people on the forums say “Your playing the wrong way!”

Friendly reminder to everyone: DS & DST are open world sandbox games there’s no “Wrong Way” to play.

Still to this very day I prefer using LANTERNS over Miners Hats, which yes I am fully aware involves a painful process of dropping your lantern on the ground and fighting mobs in a circle in its limited circle of light.. But Lanterns have cool skins & Miners hats do not so- to each their own.

The Tackle Box is actually a more “Commonly” used item however (especially by people who like to play with the new boats and boating content) 

All I’m saying in short is this: I would rather have a Klei release a Beefalo Skin Set part 2, instead of having skin sets for Astrogoggles & Moonstorm related stuff.

Archived