Very original tierlist content here

I just didn't see anyone doing a tierlist after the Webber rework.

my-image.thumb.png.116d0dd495c442e22ae6cb012ca80487.png

Let me explain everyone in advance

S Tier

Wendy: Arguably the best character at the moment. High DPS, high AoE control, very good stats, and barely any harsh downsides.

Wolfgang: lol play the game i am not doing any explaining

Wurt: I don't understand why Wurt gets no love even though she is better at everything than everyone else. She benefits the most from farms, she has the highest DPS in the franchise due to Merms, she has one of the highest stats (in the top 3) in the entire franchise again. She also brings a lot to table that noone talks about such as: she can turn Spring into Autumn since wetness has almost no downside on her. In a multiplayer enviroment I don't even get hyped up in the slightest when we kill Deerclops for the first time. She is also the only one that can make use out of Merms and the swamp biome.

Merms are unarguably the best allies due to their health, attack speed, and how easy and comfortable they are to use.

Swamp is "Grass Biome but better" for the case of Wurt. Ability to see tentacles do nothing but help her even though they are one of the most dangerous mobs ever.

Wortox: Hunger? Health? All my homies only care for Sanity. Not even needing to eat for days or skipping health food just because you killed a few butterflies a few days ago is really good.

A Tier

Warly: Eating one spiced food seasoned with any spice makes you better than rest of the characters for several minutes. Also higher DPS than everyone but Wurt.

Maxwell: Honestly depends on the player. Sometimes Maxwells are nothing but a burden for your team. But with a good Maxwell you don't even have to prototype any tools in the entire run for a quality gameplay.

Wickerbottom and WX: idk read any other tierlist for dst in the world.

Winona: Let me tell you what she is doing in the A tier: her downsides and upsides are so balanced that even though she is no better than Wilson at combat, gathering, or surviving in general she is better than most of the characters. Fast crafting is a life saver, and walking in the dark is *literally* a life saver. Her catapults melt bosses and she also out damages Wolfgang. There's no reason for her to be a bad character.

B Tier

Woodie: We're getting to the bad characters. If you think being able to chop a not-fully-grown Evergreen under 2 seconds as soon as you enter the game is a good perk you're wrong. But let me get on some details.

Woodie alone is no different than Wilson unless you're planning to do a pixel art made out of logs, which Maxwell and Wurt can do better by the way. In a multiple enviroment he is a great addition due to lack of downsides but that's it. Chopping fast is not a good upside. People usually spend their 80% of logs on chests, Woodie only speeds up the chest are process and chests are not even a must-have or anything.

Weremoose form must be a joke. It is only worse than equipping a helmet and a hambat. In fact you can actually heal in human form so yeah Weremoose is really bad.

Werebeaver form is a lesser funny joke. Why would you trap yourself into a sanity-draining, vulnerable and fragile being when you can just use your only upside which is Lucy?

Weregoose is fine but for only 2 minutes. Just find the Lunar island and that's it. Even a ghost can do that.

(I don't have anything against Canadians I was traumatized by a Goose with an axe as a child so I hate Woodie naturally sorry).

C Tier

Webber: He is so good in caves it is unbelievable. 2 Monster Meats will help you clean the ruins. But ruins is a one time job and his stats are too low to be effective at anything. Also spiders overworld are really bad and useful for nothing. Spiders are one of the easiest mobs to avoid or fight and a character designed around that can't be good obviously.

Wigfrid: Her DPS is high but only higher than a few characters. She is a bad gatherer and she doesn't benefit from more than half of the food items in the game. Her helmets are good but that topic involves character swapping so I won't get into that. She is not bad but she is not effective early game and her upsides doesn't mean anything  in the late game. Mediocre tier for a mediocre character.

D Tier

Willow: She's my main. Her upsides help a lot in the early game but you can literally get a lantern day 1 and everyone else seems to do fine without a 3000 health meat shield that does nothing but die. 

Wormwood: I don't get why people put him in S or A tier. Health stat is the only stat that matters and his all character is designed on not being able to heal himself. You can start a fully-managing potato farm as soon as you install farms in 3 days maximum. He might be great for the whole team but he is not good for himself and this is not a "how useful to the team" tierlist.

E and F tier

Why would you pick these characters I won't even explain Wilson and Wes

Walter: Everything you see in the game directly or indirectly tries to kill you. From day-to-night cycle to mushrooms you find on the ground to queen of spiders. If you are going to lose sanity because you got hit from one of the thousands of way to get killed in the game just rush character swapping portal I guess. Also as if he is any good why is he allergic to bees...

I tried to put my own thoughts into this. I know this is an overdone content but I think I have unique opinions than the Meta™️.

2 hours ago, douan33 said:

I tried to put my own thoughts into this. I know this is an overdone content but I think I have unique opinions than the Meta™️

Saying that useless winona darkness protection>woodie's forms isnt a unique opinion against meta (which meta anyways? Is this a moba. My god...) i would say it is other thing...

You should try woodie. Being able to kill any amount of shadows, treesguards, spiderqueens, monkeys, spiders, hounds, etc. Btw jellybeans can heal weremoose ;)

Being able to explore since early days at top speed with night vision not only land and caves but sea is a great perk that still being useful in late game

Being able to chop without worry about treeguards and mining so fast isnt bad at all

All of this in a character that his only downside is transforming in full moon (unless you are in the caves). But winona is A tier because you can survive if you forget to craft a torch

. But ruins is a one time job and his stats are too low to be effective at anything. Also spiders overworld are really bad and useful for nothing. Spiders are one of the easiest mobs to avoid or fight and a character designed around that can't be good obviously.

Killing a lot of bosses with easy to amass army isnt a joke. Ruins are a one time job everytime you reset the ruins

Wormwood: I don't get why people put him in S or A tier. Health stat is the only stat that matters and his all character is designed on not being able to heal himself. You can start a fully-managing potato farm as soon as you install farms in 3 days maximum. He might be great for the whole team but he is not good for himself and this is not a "how useful to the team" tierlist

Speed is the best stat. Health only matters if you dont know how to kite. By 1st autum you have batbat so there is no hp problems

Wigfrid: Her DPS is high but only higher than a few characters. She is a bad gatherer and she doesn't benefit from more than half of the food items in the game. Her helmets are good but that topic involves character swapping so I won't get into that. She is not bad but she is not effective early game and her upsides doesn't mean anything  in the late game. Mediocre tier for a mediocre character.

Her songs makes you dont needing to farm any healing or sanity food for free. Also saves armor durability. Great solo and with people. Is the simplest character. You only need to worry about eating monster meat to keep playing the game.

The time you save from farming sanity and health you can use it to farm other materials

Everything you see in the game directly or indirectly tries to kill you

What things? Hounds every many days and shadow monsters? Most of the things you see dont want to kill you

From day-to-night cycle to mushrooms you find on the ground to queen of spiders. If you are going to lose sanity because you got hit from one of the thousands of way to get killed in the game just rush character swapping portal I guess. Also as if he is any good why is he allergic to bees...

Again, dont be hit. Why you eat mushrooms wrong in first place? Also, i though you said that spiders werent a problem and for that weeber is bad lol

He loses sanity per hit but doesnt lose sanity for dusk or monsters so you end losing a lot less sanity than any other character

Wurt is C tier in the early game, and slowly grows to become S.
Wortox is not S tier, it may be A tier during the early game but it falls to C tier quickly. In the exact opposite of Wurt, it probably starts as A tier and falls to C tier as the game advances. 

WX was a very good character in DS, but its currently the worst character on DST: its perks offer nothing to the team, one of its two main perks require specifically another specific character doing something for it (or glitching moslings) and the other main perk consists on getting higher stats out of eating a super valuable resource early and mid game, which usually heavily damages the progress of the team.
WX is D tier or lower. 

Woodie is correctly rated as B by pure luck,  even though your description of him shows lack of understanding of his perks and I strongly recommend watching skilled players use it to get a better idea.
He is B tier but mostly because of his weak late game: Woodie adapts to whatever the team needs through most of the game, its a versatile and cheap character.

Webber is at least B tier now.

I personally don't like Wormwood, but I've seen skilled players do some interesting things with his perks. They can single handedly cover all food demands of an entire server, heal just using rot, stockpile dark swords and starcallers from the very early game and keep a permanent 20% speed boost.
Wormwood is most likely A tier in the right hands.

Wormwood is A tier friend.

He lacks unique combat advantages to deal extra damage but his speed boost helps combat this a bit.

I'd even argue Wormwood is a little bit of an A+ tier early game due to an increased speed using only spoiled fish and having an un-spoilable, auto-farmable, pierogie stick (bat bat). The only thing he falls short on is bosses in which case he is kind of a speedy Wilson. Speed is great for early game bosses like Klaus, Dragonfly, Deerclops and Shadow pieces. also being able to eat raw monster meat with basically no downside (being insane is good early game) means he hardly needs any prep.

He's also immune to the first Winter easily with a guaranteed star caller and has great damage with early darkswords. In the mid to late game he gets knocked down to A tier if you like speed and use Warly's dishes then I guess he becomes S tier.

1 minute ago, Guille6785 said:

oh god please not another tier list

but on a serious note in discussions like this you should point out what skill level you're judging characters around

Did you ever post a tier list? I'm interested to see it.

10 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Did you ever post a tier list? I'm interested to see it.

well since you asked I only ever made this list https://tiermaker.com/list/video-games/dstdont-starve-together-characterswith-walter-24427/1517529

this is purely who can do the most in the first 40-60 days before character swapping though, with no restrictions as to what boss farms you build (and assuming you know how to kite) most characters are pretty much exactly the same in terms of early game prowess so I heavily encourage you just play whoever you want and don't sweat it

(also I might've treated wurt a little too harshly)

Aight so couple problems I personally have with this.

First up Wurt. You say she's S tier cause she benefits more from farms and merms are the best minions. Sure, farms are better for her, but you know what else is good? The majority of meat recipes. Merms are also not the best minion, why? Well for one, they can get unloaded in god knows where and their house will never spawn a new merm. They also do not heal without your help, and the regular huts while not that expensive, the warrior huts (the ones you want for combat), and fairly expensive, being the only recipe to demand 5 boards, along with 2 spears and some tentacle spots. You also need the king alive, and if the king dies for some reason while youre fighting with them, they instantly are the worst follower in the game. Merms are heavily outclassed by spiders, due to the ease of building up a spider army, and their self sufficiency. Her high stats also dont matter that much either. If you want high stats, just go wx. Spring is still an issue for her too, as she'll freeze for ~half the season, and at that point youd need a thermal stone or warm clothing, and at that point just use the eyebrella.

Next up, Webber. Webber should be at minimum A tier. Webber quit literally has free and infinite healing, with 2 nurse spiders and chester, or a lureplant and as many nurses as you want. You say ruins are a 1 time job, so therefore wx should be knocked down a rank or 2 correct? Also your arguments kinda suck. You judge spiders usefulness based on how easy they are to avoid as a player? You do know this game is mostly a pve game right? The enemies in DST won't try to avoid spiders, they'll run at them, hit one, grab the attention of the other 20 spiders you have allied, and then face tank the hoard and die. Whats up with you judging characters so much based on their stats? The higher hunger and hp on Webber are just a nice boon, while the low sanity is really nice for easy sanity management. Maybe try out the character before you rank them.

I used to think Wolf was s tier too, but now that I look at the bigger picture, he's really not that good. Dont get me wrong, he's great at combat, but how much of your time is spent fighting? In the 1st year, sure, fine, you'll probably be killing lots of enemies/bosses, but after thats all said and done, all you have is a character that eats 50% more food than normal characters.

On paper wortox seems broken cause "muh butterflies", but thats really only in the early game. The longer the game goes on, the more impactful his downside is, as he needs 2x the food if you like to bundle up large amounts of food. Wortox cant do that, he can only carry 20 souls around, and you need to eat 4 per day, meaning you can carry around a whopping 5 days worth of food. Sure, you can just bundle up food anyways, but then you spend more time gathering food and less time doing other late game activities.

Last one I have problems with is Wigfrid. "Her dps is only higher than a few characters". A few is 8 now? thats a little under half the characters in the game. Why do her helemts involve character swapping? Theyre an indirect upgrade to football helmets, and if you still crave better head armor, then thulecite crowns exist, although realistically youll probably want thule suits so you can use lunar crown, which, oh yeah, the lunar crown. This item here makes her dps even higher, since she is one of 2 characters who can reliably maintain the sanity threshold (the other being wx, and you need a bunch of moon caller staves and overcharge to maintain that). Sure, tea exists, but that requires diligent harvesting of forget me lots, otherwise they bolt and (from my knowledge), never allow you to pick them again. Plus, that only lasts 1 minute, and spoils in 3 days, so for longer boss fights, wigfrid still wins out. Bad early game? Wigfrid has a very easy early game of just "kill whatever you see", and with her free helm and spear, she has a much lower chance of dying to random enemies if youre say a newer player, or just mess up as an experienced player. How is she a bad gatherer btw? Rocks and logs are gathered by bearger, so the only time this matters is the first year, but by that logic, wolfgang is a bad harvester, wendy is a bad harvester, and wortox is a slightly better harvester since he can soul hop to other trees, but then you spend time getting souls which slows you down.

personally id put wigfrid in a, webber in s, wurt in b, wolfgang in a, and wortox in b

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Wortox is not S tier, it may be A tier during the early game but it falls to C tier quickly. In the exact opposite of Wurt, it probably starts as A tier and falls to C tier as the game advances.

hi, just wanted to pop in here and mention that wortox is always referred to with he/him
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/547961728814678053/871274088868491294/firefox_9xBDlW85cC.png
even if he wasn't though, he's like, a person. he's a whole dude. so it'd be better to go for they/them if his pronouns were unclear

edit: also WX-78 uses they/them but you probably already know that with how long you've been on the forums

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Woodie is correctly rated as B by pure luck,  even though your description of him shows lack of understanding of his perks and I strongly recommend watching skilled players use it to get a better idea.
He is B tier but mostly because of his weak late game: Woodie adapts to whatever the team needs through most of the game, its a versatile and cheap character.

I think the biggest drawback for his late-game, at least in my opinion, is his idols. Easy to craft. But situational with a slightly inconvenient spoilage time (Bundling Wrap gets annoying for me). I love fighting with Weremoose for easy Hound Waves without needing to scramble to find a way to deal with them (either by other mobs or my own tooth traps), soloing Ewecus without getting trapped by the snot, as well as fighting Klaus and Toadstool (occasionally) on top of 90% reduced damage from almost everything including things like Freezing and Overheating. Beaver form is my way of saying "I just want logs, I don't want to have to deal with Treeguards today". And I gotta say, I don't care how fast the new boats are, running to the islands is way more convenient for me than sailing. Do I think it sucks to be a Woodie main during the Lunar Storm? Yes, yes I do. But it feels good turning into a goose and abandoning your team on a breaking boat all the same.

#Woodiemainforlife

8 hours ago, Baark0 said:

They also do not heal without your help, and the regular huts while not that expensive, the warrior huts (the ones you want for combat), and fairly expensive, being the only recipe to demand 5 boards, along with 2 spears and some tentacle spots. You also need the king alive, and if the king dies for some reason while youre fighting with them, they instantly are the worst follower in the game.

Boards arent a problem when you have access to merms at anytime of the day to chop. 

Idk how the king can die meanwhile you are fighting, you are suppose to fed him before fighting and last 4 days minimum

Merms are heavily outclassed by spiders, due to the ease of building up a spider army, and their self sufficiency

Spiders dont chop or mine so idk how they can outclass merms. Also is easier to build up a merm army since you only need seeds (rwys farms gives a lot of seeds), veggies(stone fruit), fish, honey or any other easy to get than wasting meat (you need to kill spiders to hire spiders) and there is like 5 merms per swamp house 

Her high stats also dont matter that much either. If you want high stats, just go wx

Isnt a big deal but still being an upside. Very confortable when you use celestial crown. Wx can have high stats but wurt has her high stats plus her upsides

Spring is still an issue for her too, as she'll freeze for ~half the season, and at that point youd need a thermal stone or warm clothing, and at that point just use the eyebrella.

Just keep in you inventory the scorch fishes you were using in winter. That wetness resistance perk is very useful to do cave stuff (ruins, fw, toads...) taking advantage of morning star

8 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

(also I might've treated wurt a little too harshly)

Totally :_

14 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Walter is F tier and Warly is at top tier. This tier list is a m e s s... No sarcasm.

I fixed it. You are welcome

7 hours ago, Owlrus said:

I think the biggest drawback for his late-game, at least in my opinion, is his idols. Easy to craft. But situational with a slightly inconvenient spoilage time (Bundling Wrap gets annoying for me). [snip]

#Woodiemainforlife

I don’t think his idols are the problem, In the early game I just carry a handful of MM and perogies and replenish it often, then I got used to having a bundle with goose idols, moose idols, perogies and whatever sanity restoring food I have at hand. And a stack of rope somewhere in my backpack. Whenever I need to transform I got used to unbundling and rebundling quickly.

I think his forms are amazing for doing everything cheaply and conveniently, saving resources for your teammates, specially in the early game. But once you get to a point where better gear is readily available, unless you specifically need the moose charge, or saving someone else’s boat that got in trouble, you would be probably wasting time by using the transformations.
Having a beefalo made the goose redundant in the late game, moving to the islands is usually made with lazy deserters or telelocators (purple gems stockpile anyway) Bearger makes logging for woodie unneeded after the first year, and there are usually traps for the waves or the monkeys in the late game, so I just find myself being “just woodie” all the time and realizing how Wormwoods, Warlys, Wurts and Wickerbottoms are overall more productive with their perks by then. That’s why I rate him as B tier and not A tier, even though I love Woodie and played him at least half of my 4K playtime hours.

The main perk I keep using in the very late game is the summon treeguards perk for obtaining living logs, for doing sanity farms or auto killing stuff.

How to fix it? I don’t think there is an easy way to change this, woodie is amazing how he is right now, but if there was some tiny QOL at some point aimed at him I’d add maybe improvements to his forms after the moonstorm event happens, like a tiny progression given that his powers are directly influenced by the moon.

and yes #Woodiemainforlife

18 hours ago, douan33 said:

Werebeaver form is a lesser funny joke. Why would you trap yourself into a sanity-draining, vulnerable and fragile being when you can just use your only upside which is Lucy?

The reason to use Werebeaver is not for the slightly faster harvesting speed than Lucy. You use Werebeaver to prevent the spawn of Treeguards. When you are mass farming logs for a project any other way (like with pigs) those Treeguards are the main cause of your slowdown. And when you are using one meat each pig for half a day loyalty, getting stopped in the middle to fight really hurts.

In addition, Werebeaver is a pickaxe/hammer too. That makes him great at clearing out rock biomes or the ruins once you've dealt with the hostiles.

18 hours ago, douan33 said:

Weremoose form must be a joke. It is only worse than equipping a helmet and a hambat. In fact you can actually heal in human form so yeah Weremoose is really bad.

First, Weremoose is much cheaper than the alternative (only 3 monster meat, 2 grass). Weremoose provides 10% more protection than a football helmet and does the same damage as a ham bat. As long as you don't need to heal during a particular fight, Weremoose is perfectly fine one-on-one. Where moose really shines though is when fighting swarms. As long as you aim your charge to avoid hitting trees/rocks Woodie can easily decimate swarms of frogs/bees/spiders by repeatedly charging back and forth through them.

You don't really seem to consider some characters's actual potential, but rather you're looking at their abilities on paper and saying they're bad from those descriptions alone.

Woodie for instance is not good just because he can chop down trees fast. That's part of his appeal, but his other abilities afford him a strong variety in the way he can tackle situations. Goose mode is good for exploring the map. But for more niche things, you can use it to quickly locate/navigate the ruins, or rush the lunar islands. Same for beaver mode. You can use it to clear an entire ruins without a pickaxe AT ALL, all while avoiding costly damage to precious football helmets. Moose mode is similar again, but is most useful for taking out large groups of enemies. That horde of spiders you had growing in the biome next door? It's all monster meat now thanks to moose woody. These things are EXTREMELY useful.

Wigfrid on paper doesn't seem very special. She can only eat meat, she does a little bit more damage than others (while healing), and she can craft special equipment. But all of this is actually incredibly useful (except for maybe the meat downside of course) She is able to tank most fights in the game with a few helmets because of her damage and healing capabilities. She can provide the entire team with strong equipment for very cheap costs so you can save precious resources like pigskin for more important matters. She is able to approach things much more casually than others because of her high damage and healing capabilities. She is arguable the easiest character to rush the ruins because you just don't have to worry about the mobs much at all. Fight them and lose a tiny bit of health.

I honestly question the legitimacy of the entire tierlist after seeing Willow above Wormwood somehow. Wormwood is insanely valuable, and I will not write about it here because it is too much. There are entire threads describing the intricacies and usefulness of Wormwood.

Archived