[Poll] On Character Powerlevel Perceptions

Ay piskot giatay uy kapoy himo title  

119 members have voted

1. 1. In a singleplayer setting, which characters do you see as strong?

2. 2. In a singleplayer setting, which characters do you see are weak?

3. 3. In a multiplayer setting, which characters do you perceive as strong?

4. 4. In a multiplayer setting, which characters do you perceive as weak?

1 minute ago, Wendy C. said:

Funny that there's such a strong belief that Webber is the weakest in a multiplayer setting. 
Somehow even weaker than Wilson, who does not have any multiplayer team-based powers whatsoever. 

tho bear in mind that only 8 people have voted so far and that is just the tippy-top of the iceberg. perhaps things may change with more votes cast anyroad

3 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Funny that there's such a strong belief that Webber is the weakest in a multiplayer setting. 

I also don't get it.
Webber is really good at farming food for everyone. Make a Bird Cage, give a part of the Monster Meat to the bird, and you have infinite Meatballs. You also get some other loot. Spider Glands for healing and Silk for a lot of other things.

Edit: Oh yeah, only a few people have voted yet...

1 hour ago, Wendy C. said:

Somehow even weaker than Wilson, who does not have any multiplayer team-based powers whatsoever. 

I think it stems from the fact that Webber can't base near pigs or bunnymen (and I find that quite a number of bases are in/near PK or just have pigs nearby) and that any spiders following him will always attack other players. Plus, spiders can be a pain to base near if any nests are placed too close. These abilities actively clash and work against him in a team. And I don't believe the same issues extends to Wortox or Wurt.

Wortox is still a monster charcter, and thus can't base near pigs or the like, but that is outweighed by his strong team ability to heal all nearby players with souls. Webber doesn't really have anything very team oriented like this, unless you count his ability to create massive spider civil wars. And even then, literally any Wendy player can basically do the same thing. 

In the case of Wurt, all merms will be neutral to players if the Merm King is active, and she can always craft the merm disguises if he is not. Webber's spiders are always aggressive, unless someone is wearing a spider hat, but let's be honest here no one wears spider hats. 

Of course, I'm not saying that Webber is always weak and bad in a team. I've been in some servers that definitely benefitted, and were in some cases carried, by having a skilled Webber on the team. It's just that many of his abilities will actively work against him in a team environment, unless it's a server full of Webber players. Which are fun, but I don't see that too often unless the server name is literally something along the lines of "Webber only world."

Wilson is just... blank. He doesn't really have any abilities that benefits him in a team, nor does he have any abilities that clash with other players in a team. You can do whatever as him without any downsides or upsides. 

I'm sure this will all change in his upcoming rework, though. Just from reading his changes, it seems like reworked Webber will be much more team-friendly that he was before.

I can't believe what I'm seeing here. Wes is arguably better than at the very least 1/3 characters in a multiplayer setting, since April 1st his faster hunger drain was removed making him consume less team resources, he has a lot of excellent support tools: Balloon Hat for players during thunderstorms, for Wicker players that use The End is Nigh; party balloon for group sanity restoration, speed balloons for faster exploring and being faster overall, balloon vest though situational but very useful while exploring the sea (future updates might focus on ocean content so his vest might become even more useful).

Not to mention his bad luck which gives other players good luck: hounds will focus on him, lightning will strike him first and foremost. He also has a "disadvantage" of less efficient use of tools which makes them 2x times more durable making Wes an excellent digger and a turf collector, his weapons also become more efficient despite his damage

Eh, wes' team powers don't make him invaluable compared to other team characters. He's certainly not useless, but not the kind of power you'll miss when he's gone. Compared to warly's ability to triple everyone's DPS, or wurt's incredible gathering speed with merms. Wolfgang, despite being powerful alone, still counts for two and a half people in a fight. Most of wes' power is exploration focused and becomes useless after a little development, and the first winter depending on how many tusks are reaped. 

And if you exclude the florid postern, I'm surprised people consider warly weak in a solo setting. He can STILL triple his own damage. Meaning he's a better boss killer than wolfgang if you don't switch to wolfgang.

Webber is probably the most underrated. Sure, pigs attack him, but by that logic why is wurt considered to be so much better. Wurt has more utility with easy seeds, strong gathering and killing. But webber is quite literally infinite food, infinite gold with drying racks (though wurt can easily do this with a trip down  to the caves too). Silk which is by proxy infinite healing. Just put out a field of bird traps, you have bacon and eggs until the end of the world, or honey ham with slightly more effort. And spider glands which is just even more healing, albeit inferior to mosquitos existing within 5 meter of a merm.

Any character with a self-inflictable speed boost is strong automatically, so long that speed boost is practical to obtain. So wormwood is really stronger than most people think. It's trivial to inflict bloom, and with that kind of speed and a walking cane or a road, you can just kite anything.

6 hours ago, Ketrai said:

Most of wes' power is exploration focused and becomes useless after a little development, and the first winter depending on how many tusks are reaped.

I'd say Wes's biggest upside in a team are his Party Balloons, which allow him to produce infinite sanity out of thin air. It's not especially practical, at least if you have other ways to restore sanity, but all he needs is a bit of time to take a party of 2-6 players from 0 sanity to max.

Also, he does get more uses out of the Ice Staff, Fire Staff and, um, something else. :P

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

I'd say Wes's biggest upside in a team are his Party Balloons, which allow him to produce infinite sanity out of thin air. It's not especially practical, at least if you have other ways to restore sanity, but all he needs is a bit of time to take a party of 2-6 players from 0 sanity to max.

Also, he does get more uses out of the Ice Staff, Fire Staff and, um, something else. :P

I usually have the issue of suffering from too much sanity, rather than too little. Gotta actively get insane to get nightmare fuel, or commit splumonkey genocide. Also I assume you mean the deconstruction staff? It's certainly an amazingly niche use that's powerful, but it's not enough to make me play wes. I'm too addicted to wurt and warly. 

9 hours ago, rainman895 said:

"disadvantage" of less efficient use of tools which makes them 2x times more durable

That's not true. He takes 33% more actions to complete a task, but his tools last 33% longer. This ends up with his tools lasting anywhere between 0% and 33% longer depending on what task is being done. Chopping trees will give an unnoticeable benefit, but fighting anything with 50/100/150 health (Bees, hounds, spiders, etc) with a dark sword will have the dark sword last the full 33% longer due to it killing them in the same amount of hits whether it's 50 or 68 damage per hit.

Notably ice and fire staves last 33% longer due to using the fight action, but don't deal direct damage so they get no penalty. The thulecite club and bat bat will deal the normal amount of raw damage over their lives, but spawn more tentacles and heal more health.

6 hours ago, Ketrai said:

Eh, wes' team powers don't make him invaluable compared to other team characters. He's certainly not useless, but not the kind of power you'll miss when he's gone. Compared to warly's ability to triple everyone's DPS, or wurt's incredible gathering speed with merms. Wolfgang, despite being powerful alone, still counts for two and a half people in a fight. Most of wes' power is exploration focused and becomes useless after a little development, and the first winter depending on how many tusks are reaped. 

No, most of Wes' power comes from his party balloons which effectively give every single person on the server including himself infinite sanity and infinite nightmare fuel. Maybe if you're playing on a private server where everyone is super good at the game (despite thinking Wurt has the best gathering speed, Warly can consistently triple everyone's DPS, and 1.92 somehow equals 2.5), everyone got lucky enough to get tam o'shanters, everyone already has infinite nightmare fuel, and you have so many resources that using less nmf/living logs/gems doesn't matter Wes isn't a good option. But at that point no character matters.

35 minutes ago, Ketrai said:

I usually have the issue of suffering from too much sanity, rather than too little. Gotta actively get insane to get nightmare fuel, or commit splumonkey genocide.

Another boon of Wes. Wes can, at any moment, for no cost, for no setup, for no preparation, go insane in about three seconds. Whenever he kills a shadow, unlike someone else who would have to either consume more resources to go insane or slowly go insane again with something like a wormhole, he can just craft more balloons and instantly be insane again. He's not only farming nmf faster and cheaper than others, he's farming sanity while he's doing it. Every crawling horror he kills turns into 15-60 sanity that he or anyone else can use, and every terrorbeak turns into 30-120. Sanity that never spoils, lasts forever, anyone can use independently of Wes, and can be used by multiple people at once multiplying the total sanity given. The only downside is it takes a few seconds (which you can spend crafting or whatever), but other than the Celestial Champion it's by far the fastest sanity aura in the game at 90-120 sanity per minute. For comparison, tents give 60, sisturns give 25, and glommer gives 6.

It's a trivial task for Wes to create thousands of sanity on the ground for anyone to use, and sanity is one of the leading causes of death for the majority of the playerbase.

7 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Loyal spiders do not attack other players, just like loyal bunnymen won't attack players who are carrying meat.

That's strange, I remembered having spiders attack other players even when loyal. Was this changed in an update some time ago or was it always like this? I'm thinking it's the latter since my memory is pretty garbage, but idk. 

10 minutes ago, Tuesday Pidgeon said:

That's strange, I remembered having spiders attack other players even when loyal. Was this changed in an update some time ago or was it always like this? I'm thinking it's the latter since my memory is pretty garbage, but idk. 

I don't know if it's always been like this, but it's definitely been like this for several years.

10 hours ago, rainman895 said:

He also has a "disadvantage" of less efficient use of tools which makes them 2x times more durable making Wes an excellent digger and a turf collector

wes doesn't dig with a shovel or pitchfork more efficiently

wolfgang is not the strongest. i dont know how many times i need to say this, he's balanced as hell. his insain hunger drain and the fact that the only way he gets any noticable upsides is when that happenes making it fair to say that hes going to spend at least double time getting food. boss fights already dont last that long so getting 2X speed when killing the boss thats already 4 minutes is only going to save 2 minutes. unlike other charecters, he's going to need to prep food for a fight making him arguably worse for boss fights. and besides, he doesnt even have highest damage output in a solo environment (using portal makes it a multiplayer environment) that title goes to warly who on top of having the biggest damage output, also has the biggest stomach. im not saying that warly is the best, im just saying that dst is much more balanced than many people want to accept.

13 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

wolfgang is not the strongest. i dont know how many times i need to say this, he's balanced as hell. his insain hunger drain and the fact that the only way he gets any noticable upsides is when that happenes making it fair to say that hes going to spend at least double time getting food. boss fights already dont last that long so getting 2X speed when killing the boss thats already 4 minutes is only going to save 2 minutes. unlike other charecters, he's going to need to prep food for a fight making him arguably worse for boss fights. and besides, he doesnt even have highest damage output in a solo environment (using portal makes it a multiplayer environment) that title goes to warly who on top of having the biggest damage output, also has the biggest stomach. im not saying that warly is the best, im just saying that dst is much more balanced than many people want to accept.

Bro, its not always about the bosses. We also have regular mobs. Wolfgang can easily clear the ruins, farm nightmare fuel. His favorite food is ROASTED POTATO 40 Hunger 20 hp. Potato is one of the 3 of first veggies you will grow. And you know how simple it is to stockpile veggies now with new farms?

He is busted, Overpowered beast. Perfect example of how all other characters should be in term of balance.

Honestly I feel Wes is often undersold 

-moble infinite sanity dispenser

-the perfect character to gather a team and scout due to his infinite balloon flares and speed boost

-can make minor rain protection and give the group free disposable life vests if things go south when sailing

In my opinion atleast he's a powerful team support.

6 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

Bro, its not always about the bosses. We also have regular mobs. Wolfgang can easily clear the ruins, farm nightmare fuel. His favorite food is ROASTED POTATO 40 Hunger 20 hp. Potato is one of the 3 of first veggies you will grow. And you know how simple it is to stockpile veggies now with new farms?

He is busted, Overpowered beast. Perfect example of how all other characters should be in term of balance.

To be fair wendy and wx clear the ruins alot easier than Wolfgang. Outside of bossing Wolfgang doesn't have much to offer in basic gameplay

my point still stands. for him to easily clear ruins hell still need to prepare a lot longer than other charecter making it arguably worse. hes going to need to be big for basically the whole ruin clear. im well aware on how to play the game btw. And yes, i know how easy it is to get potato, but like i said before, hes going to need to prepare a lot longer making him balanced.

11 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

4 minutes ago, Bugsworth said:

my point still stands. for him to easily clear ruins hell still need to prepare a lot longer than other charecter making it arguably worse. hes going to need to be big for basically the whole ruin clear. im well aware on how to play the game btw. And yes, i know how easy it is to get potato, but like i said before, hes going to need to prepare a lot longer making him balanced.

You need to be more specific about the preparations.

Archived