Jump to content

What are the possibility SW going to be online?


Recommended Posts

I just searched up if there were mods for SW in DST and there appears to be one, albeit not actively maintained.

You should be able to play it online with friends simply starting a server with that enabled. An official port would probably be unlikely though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly it depends on what Klei wants to do.. keep in mind that DST was advertised and sold as a and I quote “Stand Alone Expansion to Dont Starve”

Now Under NORMAL Conditions this would mean that Technically DST is part of DSA.. However, Klei has proven time & time again that they don’t necessarily stick to normal conditions- and what started out as being just DSA but with Friends over the years has grown and changed into its own thing I would even consider DST more of a DS 2 at this point: As the story picks up where DSA concluded. 
 

With that said- I would like to remind everyone that if you bought the DSA game on Xbox then it came with the Reign of Giants DLC already included, And Likewise- If you bought the game on Nintendo Switch.. The Shipwrecked DLC is Already included in that version as well-

AKA these DLCs can not be bought separately.

All of this is important to mention because.. THIS Exists and is a “Thing” now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dont-starve-mega-pack-2020/9n0935hnzwgl?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
 

Who can say that this isn’t Klei’s plans all along? Discontinue all other versions of the game so that only the Mega Bundle exists?

This would mean that DSA, DS Shipwrecked, DS Hamlet & DST would all be one game bundled with all 3 of its expansions.

So the TL:DR- I Wouldn’t say no it’s NEVER going to happen until Klei officially goes on record and clearly state that it’s never going to happen... 

But even still, don’t get your hopes up. :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the main problem is that Shipwrecked isn't balanced to be played with multiple people.
The amount of land, food and resources on the map is quite limited, so altough you could play co-op with your friend, I doubt you can play Shipwrecked on a public lobby with a bunch of people.
Also it wouldn't make sense considering that Shipwrecked and Hamlet seems to happen before the events of DST. Occuring before the jury rigged portal has been built.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Atkvin said:

I just searched up if there were mods for SW in DST and there appears to be one, albeit not actively maintained.

You should be able to play it online with friends simply starting a server with that enabled. An official port would probably be unlikely though.

I think "Volcano Experience" is pretty recently updated and maintained though? It brings a lot of SW stuff to DST. I played it years back and it worked fine, though likely not compatible if you're using a lot of other mods since it's a pretty big one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DST just needs more unique islands, more stuff in ocean in general. If you really want you could ask devs to add an option for a special world generation(a lot of islands separated by water) and boom you have Shipwrecked online

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ellilea said:

I think "Volcano Experience" is pretty recently updated and maintained though? It brings a lot of SW stuff to DST. I played it years back and it worked fine, though likely not compatible if you're using a lot of other mods since it's a pretty big one.

*shrug* That was what was on the mod description! Wouldn't be surprised if it was no longer maintained in recent time given the size and new updates that might clash with it i.e RoT, but the comments did seem like they were still making it work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lennard said:

I think the main problem is that Shipwrecked isn't balanced to be played with multiple people.
The amount of land, food and resources on the map is quite limited, so altough you could play co-op with your friend, I doubt you can play Shipwrecked on a public lobby with a bunch of people.

There's a ton of food and resources in a SW world, which I feel would be absolutely enough to feed a full server of players if everyone was exploring in different directions. Either way though, if this was a problem wouldn't it be an easy one to fix? Klei could just bump up the number of seaweed that generates, even.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I've seen/read, all major SW-porting mods (in various degrees) seem to have been abandoned by their devs/modders from an assortment of reasons. Aka: Tropical Experience | The Volcano Biome and Island Adventures. Looking in their status updates plus comments on their respective DST Steam Workshop pages, there is activity. But they do look like causing frequent crashes. I for one played in past the pre-"Return of Them" Island Adventures on a community server and indeed had plenty bugs resulting in game-crashes. There was one more major mod-pack with SW-elements, namely Megarandom world generation, yet that as well is outdated and very unstable (still I loved from it the Beaver Forest biome and still wish someone would make a separate mod for it in the form of a specific island - spoiler below).

Spoiler

228AEE59D163DACED180A6752A0E0B9B3C098010

As for an official KLei SW porting... "never say never". Who knows what medium-to-distant future could bring, even if not a complete port, but 1-2 specific isles on current DST Ocean with particular SW-like flora and fauna.

PS: meanwhile here's a functional Doy-Doy mod.. to keep you safe; since "is dangerous out there".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since it keeps coming up I want to mention that Tropical Experience is actively maintained with bug fixes and new content, I've only experienced a crash once in two in-game years of gameplay and every bug I've reported so far has been fixed within a day. It's not exactly a Shipwrecked port, it takes huge creative liberties with its SW and Hamlet content and adds a ton of new stuff on top, but it's an awesome mod that's been actively updated for years and is in a very stable state. If you aren't concerned about the intricacies of SW (like the specifics of how jellyfish sting you or how the Sealnado suck attack works) then you could definitely go into the mod config and set it to the SW only mode and have a very complete experience!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, thegreatJash said:

I understand why people would want an online Shipwrecked, and there are mods for that. Personally though, I think the ocean content for Together is much better and more in depth.

I think ROT's problem is that the devs went for something impressive but jumped the gun. The small fixes and additions are nice but it's probably going to take two or three more years before the ocean has a decent amount of life.

We are dealing with a indi company that is juggling several things at once to perfect this game. I commend them at this goal but still feels a bit like jumping ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I think ROT's problem is that the devs went for something impressive but jumped the gun. The small fixes and additions are nice but it's probably going to take two or three more years before the ocean has a decent amount of life.

We are dealing with a indi company that is juggling several things at once to perfect this game. I commend them at this goal but still feels a bit like jumping ahead.

yeah i feel like they should've had more updates prepared at once so theres a little more to the ocean since its like an entirely new world more massive than the mainland but even tho there may be a lot of content it if was a single biome the problem is it isn't i still liked RoT but oceans will feel dead for a little longer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd personally recommend Island Adventures, the team might've stopped working on it but what they've got on the table is already a great amount of work that I feel does SW enough justice.
A large group of friends and I have had a blast messing around with IA, genuine fun, feels really at home too.
I think there's a few people trying to bring it back too, so that might be something to look forward to if it gets going.
 

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

Tropical Experience

I wouldn't really recommend Tropical Experience on that note, several modders including myself have had issues with them even to the point of stolen/copy-cat assets, I've done a few check ups on the mod and they've been horribly buggy. You can glance at most of their codework and just see how slapped together it can be in some areas. Not the mention the insane amount of creative liberties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, -Variant said:

several modders including myself have had issues with them even to the point of stolen/copy-cat assets,

Sad to hear, but I would be surprised if anything stolen is still in the mod. I remember it having some megarandom content early on, but that's been removed by now after people explained why that's a bad thing to do, and Vagner even learned from it and worked with an old dev of Creeps in the Deeps, a mod developed way back in the RoG days, when wanting to integrate its content into Tropical Experience.

12 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I've done a few check ups on the mod and they've been horribly buggy.

Also sad to hear, however my experience of two in-game years has been the absolute opposite. Everything works perfectly fine throughout the RoG areas, SW areas, Hamlet areas and interiors, and the underground Deeps. I've experienced a huge swath of content across several different areas, and yet my only crash or bug was when I accidentally ejected a surfboard from my inventory on land while all my slots were full. In terms of bugs, there's absolutely not many you'll encounter when just playing casually.

13 minutes ago, -Variant said:

You can glance at most of their codework and just see how slapped together it can be in some areas.

I'm sure TE is full of bad practices, I've heard about that several times before, however as a player it's really not relevant if all the content works and the mod dev updates it to keep it working. You can say why X or Y is badly programmed, and it's 100% true, but as a player it's never relevant as long as the mod functions and doesn't feel bad. And TE doesn't feel bad.

I'd also like to mention that this is a fan project, a mod for a video game made out of love. TE may not have code up to the standards of other mods or actual games, but it doesn't have to.

23 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Not the mention the insane amount of creative liberties.

That's why I specified in my post that it's not meant to be a SW port but can be enjoyed like one if you aren't concerned with the intricacies of how mechanics work, as unless you're a hardcore SW fan (or constantly checking the wiki) then it's unlikely you'll notice/care about every single little difference.

If someone's looking for a perfectly accurate SW port then there isn't one anyway, TE isn't trying to be one and IA is lacking a huge chunk of SW's content. I simply recommended the one that's worked best for me and was being treated as a dead/broken mod, despite me having some of my most fun solo DST gameplay with it over just the last week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I'm sure TE is full of bad practices, I've heard about that several times before, however as a player it's really not relevant if all the content works and the mod dev updates it to keep it working. You can say why X or Y is badly programmed, and it's 100% true, but as a player it's never relevant as long as the mod functions and doesn't feel bad. And TE doesn't feel bad.

It is, however, relevant to a player if there are bad practices regarding stealing other mod's assets, which we have personally had a problem with in the past (and recently still).

The developer(s) have not learned their lesson and will continue to do things like this because they keep getting away with it. This has been an issue for a few years now. What you can do as a player is not support the mod (this includes playing and also singing the mod's praises on the forums)

When confronted with stealing assets, Vager said "It's not illegal.", you can draw your own conclusions from that.

Edit: Also yes, there are still a fair amount of stolen stuff in their workshop build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Canis said:

When confronted with stealing assets, Vager said "It's not illegal.", you can draw your own conclusions from that.

There's a language barrier here due to English not being Vagner's first language, so I'd rather not draw my conclusions based on a single thing he said with absolutely no further context around it.

20 minutes ago, Canis said:

Edit: Also yes, there are still a fair amount of stolen stuff in their workshop build.

Do you have any examples? This is a bold statement to make so confidently and it's being treated as a given that everyone knows, when to my knowledge there's nothing stolen in the current version of the mod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

I understand why people would want an online Shipwrecked, and there are mods for that. Personally though, I think the ocean content for Together is much better and more in depth.

Sure... if only Klei continues to expand and improve upon it by a significantly large margin.

I think what A LOT of people are getting confused on is WHY Shipwrecked was so fun compared to DST- Ignoring the fact that driving a boat was just “walk on water shoes” the set up for Shipwrecked was what made it enjoyable.

sailing between biomes and islands to gather a variety of different resource types that are exclusive to their respective islands (seriously people just to play ATLAS already... -_- )

A simple “Archipelago” style world Gen would go ALONG way in improving DSTs Boating/Ocean content.

But even still there are things that COULD and SHOULD be burrowed from the DLC’s such as: Swordfish, Jellyfish, Palm Trees/ Jungle trees with % chance of spawning enemies when chopped.

Lets just face facts- DST has a ton of room for improvements.. from more stuff to see and do on the ocean, to new and awesome land biomes to sail to and explore.

And until Klei pulls the plug and says they’re done: I don’t see the amazing updates ending anytime soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...