should wilson get a rework

as the title implies should wilson get a rework or any minor tweaks at all. i can see both sides of this argument but the thing about wilson is that hes not really good like he kinda gets outclassed by everyone and i just wanna see people discuss how and why and why not wilson should not get a rework and if not wilson what character should get a rework

I strongly believe so. I really liked the idea someone here had of just giving Wilson the ability to revive players without the HP penalty. A simple, yet respectable perk.

That, and maybe some more psuedo-science/magic biz using his beard hair. Maybe even a growth formula? 

The reason I think Wilson truly needs a rework (after ya boi Webber) is because he's no longer the best beginner character, Wendy by far excels Wilson in all regards, giving the player a companion that feeds them with easy morsels and eviscerates hounds/other player threats. Wilson is *supposed* to grow a beard, but if the new player dies before that happens, he's got nothing. 

I think every character should have downsides that actually are impactful and matter so Wilson is an attractive choice for someone who doesn't want to deal with downsides, but that's not going to happen.

16 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

The reason I think Wilson truly needs a rework (after ya boi Webber) is because he's no longer the best beginner character, Wendy by far excels Wilson in all regards, giving the player a companion that feeds them with easy morsels and eviscerates hounds/other player threats.

You're describing how Wendy's rework is bad, not how Wilson is bad.

Just now, minespatch said:

Save him for last. 

yeah i just wanna see something from him change because 99% of the time characters play him get the vanilla experience and move on with their lives and get a better main(anybody but wes) its just super boring cycle and i want more wilson love because i can't keep dogging on him

1 minute ago, HellHeater said:

Its simply because he is the default character

hmm yeah i can see that i just don't want him to be a character you play once or twice and move on just anything to make him worth playing

Now that Wes has a few fun gameplay mechanics, no matter how quickly outclassed by better items he maybe- Wilson TOTALLY needs fun gameplay mechanics too.

No character should be “Default” Default is boring AF..

Used to I could say WES was just a less useful Wilson, but NOW... Wilson is a less Useful less fun, Wes.

So Yes, he just like the rest of the not yet reworked cast (WX78, Wickerbottom, Maxwell, Wolfgang) will get some much needed updated gameplay.

Its NOT a bad thing to accept change.. Wes changed- and he’s for the better for it now.

1 hour ago, pyroisshy said:

Woodie outshines Willson as an all rounded character with little downsides right now so Wilson definitely needs a rework

Woodie's downsides are a lot more noticeable than Wendy's, Willow's, WX's, & Winona's. Woodie actually has to completely change what food he eats if he wants to make proper use of his ability without being wasteful, if you want access to his forms without wasting a bunch of hunger he requires a moderately large change from standard gameplay where you forgo large nourishing meals and cusp the brink of starvation.

Plus, full moon forces transformations which can unexpectedly starve new players. And they have a sanity drain that's 20% larger than the dusk/night/cave drain.

No. He should stay as basic as possible, so people who start playing knowing nothing about the game don't get overwhelmed with the whole 'downsides and upsides' mess, and can pay more attention to learning to survive etc. That's how Don't Starve (single-player) works - you're, in a way, forced to focus on the world first, then after learning the basics you're free to experiment with characters. That's what I feel like, at least.

37 minutes ago, saintclover said:

No. He should stay as basic as possible, so people who start playing knowing nothing about the game don't get overwhelmed with the whole 'downsides and upsides' mess, and can pay more attention to learning to survive etc. That's how Don't Starve works - you're, in a way, forced to focus on the world first, then after learning the basics you're free to experiment with characters. That's what I feel like, at least.

Is this really valid though? Just like playing Smite or Apex Legends there is no such thing as a Basic Starter character- you pick a god/legend you LEARN their Abilities (some you’ll like, others you will completely Hate..) But they didn’t drop me into Apex Legends as a Training Dummy and say GG Good Luck!

Nope, I picked Wraith and never looked back.

Here’s what happens in that scenario with DST- you Find a character you like.. rather than playing “Basic” till you get ready to trade in your training dummy for someone better. 

For me personally- I can’t play Warly worth a crap, easily my LEAST favorite character in the entire game, and even though I main Wendy, I know how to survive just fine as Wormwood & Wes. 

Wilson was fine as a basic starter character in DS Solo because DS Solo was a single player game where you had to UNLOCK better characters, Wes was fine as a mostly useless challenging character because again you had to UNLOCK him & have enough knowledge about the game to reach the point to unlock him.

With DST your playing something more like Apex Legends or SMITE- Aka... every character is unlocked from the start of the game anyway.. so having a Training Dummy when better options like Lifeline exists- is just dumb.

Wilson's upside can be whatever. His downside just can't be something completely game-changing like carnivore/vegetarian or Wormwood's no food healing.

That way you still have a character to learn the ropes with, but still diversified from the rest of the cast.

Klei showed us that they are willing to change characters (in my opinion, for the better), despite the simplicity and appeal that Wes used to have. For this reason I think he will get a rework, and I personally am with that decision because Wilson deserves to get at least something useful. I could be wrong though. 

Wilson deserve a Character Update because all other characters had this change from "perks" to "abilities", let me explain. In singeplayer Don't Starve all playable characters had perks that rather used to change playstyle to different aspects, while making other a bit harder (ex: Woody could make woodchopping a lot funnier and faster, but player should know how to quickly restore stats after Werebeavering; Wigfrid allowed players to learn about combat and battle dangerous foes with less care about HP or Sanity while her meat diet and lowered hunger forced player to hunt more and not focus on producing food with berry bushes, farms, etc.). In DST different characters now getting "abilities" - Wigfrid new stagecraft, new Woodie wereforms, new Warly spices and dishes with effects. These new abilities don't have a major downside to balance it anymore, game just force players to choose best character based on current party and personal playstyle. While Wilson was perfectly fine in DS, especially as first open character, he no longer is in DST. All characters are open from the start and as Mike23Ua said: 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Just like playing Smite or Apex Legends: there is no such thing as a Basic Character- you pick a god/legend and you LEARN their Abilities (some you’ll like, others you will completely hate..).

I can understand why some people are against Wilson rework, but quick question: Do YOU play as Wilson often? I enjoy his beard and overall design, but in terms of gameplay he is incredibly bland. He don't need a lot actually: little tab with some ironic science-stuff that might just help both new and advanced players, while making him some kind of support-character to party, like Wigfrid stagecraft but related to science and his love to create different items (Like meat effigy that is his original design in cannon or how he created water pump, as character quotes of Winnona, Maxwell and others say). 

TL;DR : Wilson need some simple abilities or even own tab that is useful both for begginers and advanced players, and not just beard.

Let's face it guys, all characters will eventually get a rework, so Wilson will get his upgrade sooner or later.

He is still the face of the game, and the starter character to introduce the basic game mechanics to new players, so he has one perk and no downsides to help players to get the gist of things... But that was back in Don't Starve, now in Don't Starve Together characters not only must be part of a team and contribute to overall survival, they are all getting more complex, instead of having a single gimmick to change their gameplay. This complexity was better archived by some of the newer characters (Wickerbottom, WX, Maxwell) while the first characters you unlock after Wilson had a perk and a downside and that was it.

The point of reworks is to make characters more rounded and fun, not having just a perk/gimmick, but having a play style.

Here are my ideas for a the character:

Wilson: The default character, and also the no downsides character, good to understand the basics of the game on your first go. On the Forge he was a healer, and in the Gorge he cook slightly faster some dishes. He also got trapped in the shadow throne for a while,  and it's been hinted that his arms have turned dark because of the exposure. He has been shown to maybe not be good at inventing new stuff, but has a gnack for learning.

-Growns a magnificent beard: no changes to this mechanic.

-Has some medical training: he can use healing items on himself and other character for double the healing (Valid for Spider glands, mosquito sacks, honey polteus and healing salves, etc).

-Loves to shares his knowledge: he can make blueprints of the things he has crafted (by using a cartografers desk + papyrus and pencil), good to share special blueprints among the group. When someone learn his blueprints, he will also gain  +15 sanity.

- His arms have a memory of their own: The time spend attached to the dark throne have partially change Wilson. He can craft items that couldn't be craft without a specific crafting station (like the pseudoscience station or celestial orb), but doing this cost him some sanity (-40 per craft).

- Can read Wickerbottoms books.

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Wilson's upside can be whatever. His downside just can't be something completely game-changing like carnivore/vegetarian or Wormwood's no food healing.

That way you still have a character to learn the ropes with, but still diversified from the rest of the cast.

Wilson can still be the only character with only upsides and no downsides, his pros don’t have to be super broken and he’d be fine, IMO

Wilson just deserves it. He's the main character ffs, and after going through everything he did, he should have more abilities than 'grow beard'. 

Without the leveling system of Don't Starve, nobody chooses him as first character. I know I didn't. When we started playing with friends we chose Webber ("He looks fun!") Woodie ("It says here he's got a curse and I want to know what that means") and Wormwood ("Since you don't have him and he's a plant apparently??"). We looked at Wilson, compared to every other character and decided "meh, I want a full game experience". Wilson is great and I play him in all my DS worlds, but in DST it feels like a waste to pick him. Why would I play Wilson when I can just go crazy and farm Beardlords in caves? I'm trying to play my game and I want to be efficient if I'm planning on reaching some late stuff. Wilson has a great character and is my fav no contest due to his backstory and canon story, but he's just bland to play. 

He deserves to have more going on for him. 

Stat-wise - keep him basic. Basic damage, hp, sanity, hunger, hunger drain, food bonuses etc.
Perk-wise - yeah, he could use a little bit of something.

I love that his is so basic from gameplay perspective. Having a blank character is great imo.That said, it kinda doesn't make sense that he is a scientist, yet all the characters can do science just like Wilson.

Some ideas:

• Giving him more sanity from research
  • More chance to get blueprints out of anything that drops it.

P.S. Why not use poll? I don't want to create redundant post now, but it seems like a clear yes/no poll would make sense here.

Archived