Why I still believe Wagstaff will be playable

First off,  my main point for this is related to his name in the code.  Which is "wagstaff_npc" and "wagstaff_npc_pstboss"   What I'm gonna start off with is why didn't they just name him "wagstaff" if he was never going to be playable.  Since the only other NPC in the game is Pearl and her name in the code is "hermitcrab" instead of "hermitcrab_npc"  In this next portion most of this is common knowledge to people on the forums but Maxwell's NPC variant is named "maxwell" while his playable character is named "waxwell"  so even if Wagstaff's name in the code was just "wagstaff"  he could still be playable.  A very common argument against him being playable is "Oh it would be very strange to see 2 Wagstaffs" even though in DST there can be up to 6 of the same character.  I've experienced servers with 3 Wendys all just slaughtering spiders.  So what's the difference between that and an NPC of a character?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4ef93cb5b18839543eadb48d23177c37.pngimage.png.7c65858d02d639f4759484d4a0136a24.pngimage.thumb.png.8acbf3195c0ced1046772efc86d06ace.png

image.png.fcd282e75fef8d06b0aee9b3292b3564.pngimage.thumb.png.68b1d15b2073f6fe889a4ec71967786b.png

image.png.8fa568acec32e1869765aca676898b8a.png

14 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

What I'm gonna start off with is why didn't they just name him "wagstaff" if he was never going to be playable.

One reason is that this would have broken every Wagstaff character mod. 

14 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

Since the only other NPC in the game is Pearl and her name in the code is "hermitcrab" instead of "hermitcrab_npc"

_npc is redundant here since she is already an NPC. Wagstaff previously existed as a character in Hamlet, so there is a need to distinguish Wagstaff here with _npc for development to avoid confusion.

I personally think Klei making Wagstaff an NPC here mostly eliminates the possibility of Wagstaff being a playable character. Unless time travel gets involved to justify things.

10 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

One reason is that this would have broken every Wagstaff character mod. 

_npc is redundant here since she is already an NPC. Wagstaff previously existed as a character in Hamlet, so there is a need to distinguish Wagstaff here with _npc for development to avoid confusion.

So Klei suddenly cares about mods now?  Even though in game they state themselves that they are not responsible for mods and crashes caused by mods.  They break mods with almost every update,  So why would they try to avoid it this one time?

But Wagstaff was a playable character in the single player version.  Not the multiplayer version of the game.  There really isn't a need to distinguish something from 2 different games.  One of which isn't even being worked on at the moment.  Unless they plan to have a reason to distinguish between the NPC and something else,  like the playable character.

3 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

So Klei suddenly cares about mods now?  Even though in game they state themselves that they are not responsible for mods and crashes caused by mods.  They break mods with almost every update,  So why would they try to avoid it this one time?

But Wagstaff was a playable character in the single player version.  Not the multiplayer version of the game.  There really isn't a need to distinguish something from 2 different games.  One of which isn't even being worked on at the moment.  Unless they plan to have a reason to distinguish between the NPC and something else,  like the playable character.

Actually their updates include things to make nodding easier.

9 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Actually their updates include things to make nodding easier.

Yeah it seems like every update has a bunch of changes that I don't read because they're for modders.

13 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

They're avoiding breaking several mods by just adding four characters to a prefab name. It's not exactly an enormous undertaking.

1 hour ago, LinknAllie said:

So Klei suddenly cares about mods now? 

In my experience, Klei has cared about mods for quite a long time. I've seen several instances in the code where they have gone out of their way to implement new things while still making them work with old mods. They've additionally added several things to make modding significantly easier, especially since Zarklord joined the team. 

They break mods with almost every update,  So why would they try to avoid it this one time?

The only time I see mods break is when they are poorly coded, or when Klei significantly changes an existing mechanic. Take for example, the new moonstorm mechanic. These changes also changed sandstorm code, and thus I have seen several mods crash because of that.

We as modders do not know the changes Klei is going to make ahead of time. If you somehow have insider knowledge about an upcoming code change that will break a mod, feel free to tell your local mod author.

Additionally, there are many mods in the workshop. I doubt more than 30% of them have code I could call "decent" or "reliable". 

Even though in game they state themselves that they are not responsible for mods and crashes caused by mods.

Klei can assure their game's code quality. They can't assure the code quality of mods. It would be a fool's errand to try to do so.

Given that you apparently know how to look at prefab file names, I urge you to take a look at the game code. If you still think Klei does not care about mods, you need to craft a new pair of Spectoggles, because Aunt Velma is probably the only thing you see right now.

I mean, I guess a projection of Wagstaff could become a playable character, if that's what Klei wanted. They could write it off as Wagstaff studying the survivors, or something, though he does seem more invested in the celestial energy... :distant:

honestly I like the idea of adding wagstaff into the game but what my counterpoint is that let's say you are playing wagstaff and doing the eye of the storm content. It honestly could be weird seeing yourself twice. But you might be wondering... "But there can be multiple of the same character in a world."

This is true however, but still, I want wagstaff in the game 25% of the time but 75% not.

I want someone more interesting, not mob related, but someone who can truly shine.

And thus, my wild imagination breaks free everyone.

I want a character that actually knows the Constant well, since I'm not talking mobs, Wortox doesn't matter right now U>U

I want a human, first of all, that loves nature, someone who thinks the Constant is home (kinda like me <:)

YOU HONESTLY MIGHT THINK I'M STUPID FOR SAYING THAT PLEZ BE HONEST ._____________.

Maybe since I'm saying someone that knows the Constant well, were talking ruins too... right?

YASS

Klei Developers This was meant for imagination purposes only .___________.

I AM VERY CURIOUS AND A LITTLE TOO EXCITED FOR WHo  IS STEPPING OUT OF THAT SEALED PORTAL @_@

4 minutes ago, Dextops said:

its ok man lets just hope the next character is an even hotter scientist(i know this is impossible but someone needs a false hope)

Just give me an old man character that looks similar to Wagstaff or Wallace and I will be satisfied.

I want to see Wagstaff in the game because I love his design, mechanics, voice, and personality ... I also want to see him with some alternate skins, just to spice up his design. I hope that at the end of this next arc or something we can get him like a playable Character, please Klei i'm praying You!

Pretty sure if Klei wants Wagstaff to be playable he will be playable- even if he’s doing NPC stuff (keep in mind this dude creates holograms HOLOGRAMS of Himself.. Aka Mirage in Apex Legends) BUT We see the “Real” Wagstaff get sucked into the constant during Winona’s short. (Okay so we don’t see Wagstaff.. but dev’s confirmed thats who its supposed to be.. sooo yeah.)

So you have a Hologram of Wagstaff doing suspicious Eye of the Storm stuff- and you have the REAL Wagstaff sucked into the world somewhere..

Unless you want to chalk things up to “time in the constant is freaky & even though Wagstaff got sucked into the constant before Winona.. By the time Winona gets there he’s already solved how to escape.”

Then I would safely say the odds of Wagstaff as a playable character can Still happen.

But if Wagstaff makes the cut that’s just going to further sadden me that Walani, Woodlegs, Wilbur, Wheeler & Wilba do not.

8 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

Just give me an old man character that looks similar to Wagstaff or Wallace and I will be satisfied.

Warbucks.thumb.png.75c40b8923fc2eeed64d42a1e446021c.pngThe answer we seek have been in front of us all. Looks like Klei found him problematic and uninspiring in a singleplayer setting only cause he fits  to the multiplayer environment much better.

I just think there is a chance. But that would be after next update season is over and some massive events occur, making him upgraded (downgraded?) To a survivor. That I predict will be in a couple of years, so we can get used to the Wagstaff NPC character, just like before Maxwell was one for long time before he was playable- don't try to deny the hype. So it's not impossible, but if it's about to happen, it's a long wait. And being unlockable would be a nice touch as well. 

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Looks like Klei found him problematic and uninspiring in a singleplayer setting only cause he fits  to the multiplayer environment much better.

"For Walter's neutral special, he wields SLINGSHOT"

5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png5d576e0edf4eb_Arielthoncdiscord.png.53228c98bab766ce8047c212e4242962.png

6 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Warbucks.thumb.png.75c40b8923fc2eeed64d42a1e446021c.pngThe answer we seek have been in front of us all. Looks like Klei found him problematic and uninspiring in a singleplayer setting only cause he fits  to the multiplayer environment much better.

Yes

Double Wagstaff problem can be solved by something like that:
If Wagstaff player be available in game, the current jobs to spawn boss should be completed by him instead of npc. Otherwise it could work same as how it works now.

But IMO we are not gonna get him sadly.

Archived