State of Wurt?

she is better as a late game character as a wurt main in the beginning try to focus on survival and advancing normally while maybe spring or second autumn try focusing on merms since they can be worth your time. i would say she is medium for the early beginning but excels at late game being able to demolish bosses with her mob mentality. main thing to focus on is heals which can be bluecaps or potatoes if you know how to farm. if its worth to weave her that depends on your playstyle and flexibility if you are a newer player who has things to experience wait and try to get more knowledge if you think you have enough knowledge on the game play her with her unique playstyle of establishing a merm army and demolishing everything like beequeen. keep an eye out for natural spawning merms because they can be tamed for cheap and can easily gather resources without having to build your own. even though my opinion may be biased you can decide for yourself

Is perfect for long term world. One of the stronger and more confortable characters to play megabasing

Seasonal fishes and inmunity to wetness makes her so confortable

Her army makes chopping and mining a simple task. Also works so well for boss fights since they are cheap to recruit (everything that isnt meat), i usually use honey or stone fruit. And respawning every day makes them able to help you in multiple boss fights

Wurt starts off slow, she starts playing like a Maxwell trying to get ridiculous amounts of wood, with merm king she can mimic Webber's spider wars, and eventually she can mimic Wickerbottom's tentacle with enough flortifications, overwhelming even bosses with tough minions. Personally, I really want to like the character, but pigs are more convenient and flexible, so I can't.

She is harder than Wortox but easier than Wormwood.

Her gameplay is most interesting and different one. You really feel like you play something else (Like turning two stack of meat to the egg lol).

There is two problems for her. First one is about cooking, crockpot dishes don't worth to use. Eating pumpkins directly is smarter way to survive. Second problem of her she is pretty friendly with frogs but frogs still attack hers. I just don't know why...

I would say she's medium difficulty, with the strongest downside being the lack of gold from the pig king. She's a more aggressive playstyle in the beginning, with pigs instantly aggroing to her, but mid to late game she's pretty easy if you take advantage of merms. Her vegetarian diet isn't too bad since you got farms and stone fruit, and any meat you get turns into eggs which usually becomes filler for fists full of jam, though you do have to be aware of other crockpot dishes aside from meatballs and pierogi. She's pretty unique, and I'd say is better with friends who can cover her weaknesses than playing solo.

In a vacuum, Wurt is good. Her minions are good for farming, they can be used to take out bosses, a good late-game character.

From a design perspective though, she's... weird.

She's a minion character, but she doesn't particularly need to rely on her allies (No downsides to her damage or harvesting capabilities, average base stats, and high max stats).

She can build a Merm King to buff her stats, but her stats arn't super low to begin with.

She's a herbivore, but doesn't have any bonuses to her farming abilities. (The bonus from plant-based foods doesn't count. That's just a band-aid so she can survive the winter).

She has 2 flavors of merm buildings. Default and Default+

if you want to know more, just ask @ Scrimples, they're always happy to tear Wurt a new one.

TL;DR Wurt is a fine character, but her perks and downsides have little to know rhyme or reason. 

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

She can build a Merm King to buff her stats, but her stats arn't super low to begin with.

I think they need to explore why she has horns and can summon a merm king. It's like she's a orphan than needs a king to replace the father she lost.

State of Wurt? Probably Louisiana, It's swampy.

(She's a relatively medium difficulty character who relies on allies to perform exceptionally, she ramps up significantly the later you get in the game, but is still relatively good at the start, if you aren't interested in the other weavable characters I'd say give it a shot, as she has more unique gameplay compared to some of the other survivors, even with being a perk swamp.)

3 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

he's a herbivore, but doesn't have any bonuses to her farming abilities. (The bonus from plant-based foods doesn't count. That's just a band-aid so she can survive the winter)

Wurt hasn't had any trouble surviving winter since Reap What You Sow.

9 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

but pigs are more convenient and flexible, so I can't.

You need to hire them early in the morning( because at dusk they run like chikens without head) with meat and only helps you fighting and chopping.

Merms can be hire with seeds, honey, kelp, berries, stone fruit, etc and they also mine. With the last IA buff/hotfix merms works a lot and far away from you and at any time of the day. If you have the kings buff they can last longer when a tree guard spawns

I play her for her unique variation of gameplay alone, but the merms do make for some really nice followers. I think Wurt is great, she makes a pretty good farmer too, not because of any special planting ability, but her extra nutrition from vegetables allows her to eat less while storing the rest for everyone else. :tranquillity:

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You need to hire them early in the morning( because at dusk they run like chikens without head) with meat and only helps you fighting and chopping.

Merms can be hire with seeds, honey, kelp, berries, stone fruit, etc and they also mine. With the last IA buff/hotfix merms works a lot and far away from you and at any time of the day. If you have the kings buff they can last longer when a tree guard spawns

I care about infinite gold, football helmet, hambat, umbrella, and food source. A pig house has more value to me, and while Wurt can build them, it’s harder for her to build many and optimally farm them. More wood is nice, but a much lesser concern of mine.

1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I care about infinite gold, football helmet, hambat, umbrella, and food source. A pig house has more value to me, and while Wurt can build them, it’s harder for her to build many and optimally farm them. More wood is nice, but a much lesser concern of mine.

i though you were talking about using them

infinite gold isnt a problem unless you for the long term world, in that scenario you can acumulate things to trade with pk and change character with the portal which is very cheap

football helmet and hambats can be obtained with a pen with a bait and killing them at full moon, umbrella is useless as wurt

is true that pigs are more valuable than merms in term of materials but there isnt much diference. I only had problems with that when i wanted to farm moon rock pig statues since i build a lot of pig houses and i only could keep building at dusk and night but that amount is unrealistic to farm pig skin. 

And that if you play alone, if not, others can do the job. Also playing alone means more thulecite for you. Plus the merm drops is a very good source of healing foods

In my opinion when people say she is super good late game, I just imagine it boils down more to an effective player instead of a good character. Again, I'm not saying she is bad, she is just a very complex character that requires lots of skill and resources to effectively play. Compared to the other characters, she isn't worth picking in general. 

But again, you play who you want and have fun. I also love the lore behind her. SO adorable.

Sincerely,

Cactus

I have probably spent about 500 hours playing Wurt. And even if i love her, whenever i think of Wurt the best word that describes her is: MESS

Wurt right now is all about multiplying a 30+ merm army and go kill beequeen. Yes its fun but its messy and theres so much more that can be done:

• I like her recruiting aspect, thats what makes her unique from the rest, despite merms AI being quite low. I would love some QoL changes such as somehow knowing when merms are about to leave Wurt (rather than mods showing royalty points)
  • Her wetness immunity was a step in the right direction for further character development. 
  • I agree that her herbivore perk is rather bland, but its neither a downside nor an upside (She might lose crockpot food effects but its traded for more hunger points when eating raw veggies and no sanity loss when wet)
  • I would like her fishing skills to be somewhat more relevant. So far keeping fishes in inventory is not something that really pays off. Seasonal fish are extremely hard to find and sometimes really dangerous to fish. Right now it feels pretty underwhelming. Maybe faster reeling skill? Ability to craft fish bait?
  • Her Clever Disguise has literally no use at the moment. There is no point in making it.
  • Something interesting could be buffing merms by giving them certain fishes. That would make having a little group of merms a more interesting idea, rather than just multiplicating them and making a messy beequeen army slaughtery. 
  • The Wetness mechanic mentioned many times on many threads is something quite interesting as well. I think a balanced downside would be if she suffered from heat, losing sanity as opposed as when she gains wetness, after all water feels good on scales lol.

Right now she doesn't feel bad, she is actually pretty good. Its hard to find a downside on her but also every perk she has feels somehow unpolished or unfinished.

All in all i would say:

1) Her unique perks need further development to feel more "Wurt" and less messy.
2)She needs a clear downside that also resembles her identity and her own race.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

I had a lot of fun playing Wurt honestly and I would recommend weaving her. Her difficulty would be somewhere between medium and low, and as others said the biggest problem she has in the long term is getting gold (which is not a big deal if you play with others, swap characters, or spend summers in the caves where gold falls over you).

The faulty Merm AI and specially the bug where they all get stuck and don’t return to their houses are pretty annoying, but I’m still hopeful they will fix those things at some point. 

If you enjoy a “minion master”gameplay, farming, and building fortresses, get her.

If I remember correctly, for me the Wurt deal-breaker was standing in 1 screen-close to Merms, being punched/attacked by stuff and Merms doing the "I don't give a spoiled fish @ss" mug:

don-t-know-merm.thumb.png.e110a17679228dcce233bf33e2e30c44.png

She's suppose to be some kind of Frog-Princess for the Swamp Greenies, they go bananas when random Merms get spanked, yet when Wurt receives the "Pain & Suffering" surprise card up the back door, none bats an eye. Also being 100% Wetness was making her insane, but I believe KLei corrected that in some ulterior update(?!). Likewise, when I tested her upon release, Merms from Huts she build were very unreliable to the point of randomly wandering off in middle of fights. Looked like a too-many-bugs(design flaws?!)-and-not-sufficient-appeal package to take on serious DST runs.

22 hours ago, Brubs said:

I have probably spent about 500 hours playing Wurt. And even if i love her, whenever i think of Wurt the best word that describes her is: MESS

Wurt right now is all about multiplying a 30+ merm army and go kill beequeen. Yes its fun but its messy and theres so much more that can be done:

• I like her recruiting aspect, thats what makes her unique from the rest, despite merms AI being quite low. I would love some QoL changes such as somehow knowing when merms are about to leave Wurt (rather than mods showing royalty points)
  • Her wetness immunity was a step in the right direction for further character development. 
  • I agree that her herbivore perk is rather bland, but its neither a downside nor an upside (She might lose crockpot food effects but its traded for more hunger points when eating raw veggies and no sanity loss when wet)
  • I would like her fishing skills to be somewhat more relevant. So far keeping fishes in inventory is not something that really pays off. Seasonal fish are extremely hard to find and sometimes really dangerous to fish. Right now it feels pretty underwhelming. Maybe faster reeling skill? Ability to craft fish bait?
  • Her Clever Disguise has literally no use at the moment. There is no point in making it.
  • Something interesting could be buffing merms by giving them certain fishes. That would make having a little group of merms a more interesting idea, rather than just multiplicating them and making a messy beequeen army slaughtery. 
  • The Wetness mechanic mentioned many times on many threads is something quite interesting as well. I think a balanced downside would be if she suffered from heat, losing sanity as opposed as when she gains wetness, after all water feels good on scales lol.

Right now she doesn't feel bad, she is actually pretty good. Its hard to find a downside on her but also every perk she has feels somehow unpolished or unfinished.

All in all i would say:

1) Her unique perks need further development to feel more "Wurt" and less messy.
2)She needs a clear downside that also resembles her identity and her own race.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

Yea I'm gonna have to agree here as much as it pains me to and ironically the only real use I've seen someone get out of the clever disguise is using it on wortox so he could use a bunnymen to fight bee queen...

Wurt really could use more features considering how unique her crafts are and the follower system overall needs the Abigail treatment updated to be more convenient to the player that's the main reason most people don't use them and those who would just play wendy instead the game just doesn't give you enough information or control over them which greatly limits their use in anything that isn't  a exploit.

Archived