Summer Solstice Discussion

Just now, Well-met said:

Do they actually target the lavaes themselves? I didn't think flingos could target mobs.

You need just one to burst in flames and make all of them rock-solid frozen. Can likewise achieve that preemptively with wall-bait beside a Lava Pond and some flowers/grass/etc burnable stuff placed beside plus Flingo on, close, to have freezing effect all time. As always, where there's a shortcut-will, there's a lazy way.

15 hours ago, HellHeater said:

An absolute buff to...dfly

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think she needs too much of a buff. You can kinda pick your difficulty with her, if you choose to go full difficulty it's a very tough fight.

Yeah the wall and flute thing is very boring, and almost everyone seems to do it, but even with buffs people will still find ways to cheese her. Almost all the bosses can be cheesed. Dragonfly's only problem is how easy it can be to set up.

I think I'd personally prefer to prevent her from losing the enrage state to the flute rather than changing the wall thing, maybe she reignites after waking up. Enraged dragonfly in my opinion is very cool and would still give a decent fight. Without that she's just a glorified treeguard with tighter kiting. That's just my opinion though, so if you disagree just call me an idiot because I led it off topic. 

37 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think she needs too much of a buff. You can kinda pick your difficulty with her, if you choose to go full difficulty it's a very tough fight.

Yeah the wall and flute thing is very boring, and almost everyone seems to do it, but even with buffs people will still find ways to cheese her. Almost all the bosses can be cheesed. Dragonfly's only problem is how easy it can be to set up.

I think I'd personally prefer to prevent her from losing the enrage state to the flute rather than changing the wall thing, maybe she reignites after waking up. Enraged dragonfly in my opinion is very cool and would still give a decent fight. Without that she's just a glorified treeguard with tighter kiting. That's just my opinion though, so if you disagree just call me an idiot because I led it off topic. 

sleeping her is a intended mechanic and should be encouraged

I don't think Dfly in particular would need a buff/rework during this event unless they were to re-tie her to summer. She's been severed from the season since ROG came to DST.

More uses for desert stones so that the solo player doesn't feel excluded would be nice. Also just more uses in general. Though I'm a bit hesitant because it's just stupid easy to get tons of desert stones, maybe if they removed the egg -> desert stone gimmick (which is significantly cheaper than trinket -> desert stone) then I'd be more inclined for some expensive and powerful desert stone structures or something.

Also more unique summer loot in general, as stated before, winter has Mactusk, (on top of klaus, deerclops, and ice). Summer has like, cactus flowers and desert stones. Maybe there could be a buff to cactus flowers to incentivize stocking up on them in a similar way that the player stocks up on ice during winter? On top of that introducing a third summer specific item would be a good way to add more nuance to the season and add more incentive to playing through summer.

A summer "raid boss" akin to klaus would be pretty cool, I always thought antlion never really filled the role of a raid boss, more like a complicated seasonal giant, I don't have any idea what it would be or what it would drop though lol.

Finally it's worthwhile to discuss the nature of wildfires and crop withering. Personally, I'm okay with it, especially the first time around when I have a relatively small base; it's a novel experience surviving through the constant turning into the pits of Hades and making it to Autumn.  Afterwards, the novelty wears off as it turns into more flingos to protect more things, staying underground the whole season, or basing in 1 location on the map, all of these options are very boring, so I think there should be more interesting ways to counter wildfires.

A few things that come to mind are the obvious dripple pipes addition, make it rain and no more smoldering. Others include simply just a lategame upgrade to the ice flingomatic that requires less fuel or no fuel and has a larger radius. Finally, even some sort of fireproof plating (maybe using a new material from summer?) or even enchantment that you place upon structures would be an interesting way of making a normally burnable structure immune to fire. 

Antlion Is a seasonal boss, I was originally thinking buffing Dfly or Antlion akin to klaus on winters feast, or make it summer year long, or antlion show up year long, but all those Ideas kinda suck. Perhaps they may introduce a completely new boss for Summer Solstice akin to klaus, that can only be fought in summer except during summer solstice

Dfly is one of the easiest to cheese, and I don't see them buffing dfly or antlion. Antlion is a seasonal boss, whereas the old summer boss, Dfly, became a raid boss. I don't see them buffing dfly and making antlion appear year round gives it special treatment over the other seasonal bosses, and remember, this is supposed to be a summer version of winter's feast.

4 hours ago, Well-met said:

sleeping her is a intended mechanic and should be encouraged

I personally disagree. Only if you struggle with dragonfly would I do that, otherwise I consider sleeping kinda cheesy in taste. It's subjective though so whatever works is fine. 

12 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

I personally disagree. Only if you struggle with dragonfly would I do that, otherwise I consider sleeping kinda cheesy in taste. It's subjective though so whatever works is fine. 

Disarming her enraged state is a key strategy. You can do it with ice staves aswell.

There's nothing cheesy about it. Unlike a row of walls combined with the lava pool collision funneling in bad pathing AI.

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

Disarming her enraged state is a key strategy. You can do it with ice staves aswell.

There's nothing cheesy about it. Unlike a row of walls combined with the lava pool collision funneling in bad pathing AI.

then for what are walls if you cant use them against hordes of mobs?

is a good boss desing since you can choose to fight her fully walled, only few ponds walled, with or without countering her enrage form (idk why walls arent ok but removing her enrage form is okey)

on topic: i expect having few activities and maybe a new mob i hope it will be as big as winter feast that even included one of the most fun boss fights but i prefer to have low expectations

5 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

Antlion Is a seasonal boss, I was originally thinking buffing Dfly or Antlion akin to klaus on winters feast, or make it summer year long, or antlion show up year long, but all those Ideas kinda suck. Perhaps they may introduce a completely new boss for Summer Solstice akin to klaus, that can only be fought in summer except during summer solstice

You know Klaus doesnt change at all mechanic wise and is only different in appearence right? He doesnt get "buffed" in anyway during Winters Feast besides looking more festive and dropping some bonus Winters Feast stuff.

21 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

As a United States citizen myself, the holiday doesn’t get a mention in elementary schools, and I’ve never seen a bar with summer solstice cocktails or specials. How have you celebrated it?

Hi! Welcome to Portland, OR, USA where solstice is treated like a High Holiday by the denizens of the city. We have bars/clubs/art houses that will celebrate far more obscure holidays than Summer Solstice, let me assure you. At this point, Solstice seems positively mainstream by some standards.

No idea where you live, but the USA is a big place and just because you have never seen a Summer Solstice celebration does not mean they do not happen elsewhere

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

It's subjective. What you see as strategy I see as removing parts from the fight. In my eyes its compatible to setting walls up so Toadstool can't spawn shrooms, or walling away Bee queen's bees, since that's technically the easiest strategy. I don't personally have a problem with it, but I prefer to avoid doing it. I'd like to stress again that it is a subjective opinion, and I'm glad there's multiple different ways we like fighting bosses.

Hmmm.  I'd like to see some kind of special summer-themed event, whether it be a (National Day Here) barbecue and water balloon fight (psst Canada Day is July 1, so it's _close_ to the Fourth of July already), a summer solstice one with...um...flower crowns?  And, um...making an altar to the sun and putting things on it?  I have no idea.  Around here in the desert, summer solstice would be like:

"Yay it's the summer solstice!  Let's go out and celebrate the sun!"

(thirty seconds later)

"Okay that's enough sun." (goes back inside)

With possibly mob/boss related stuff, but perhaps optional ones you can choose to summon on purpose, like with the clay vargs?  I dunno.

...Notorious

On 3/26/2021 at 8:59 AM, Well-met said:

Do they actually target the lavaes themselves? I didn't think flingos could target mobs.

They do target flaming crops. So if you plant some next to where the Lavae spawn then the flingo will target the burning crops and hit the lavae as an after thought

In order to overcome winter, you have to survive first hounds, second Deerclops, then shadow creatures as you recover from sanity drain, all while trying to stay warm.

It would be nice if there was something similar for summer, as currently the main mechanic is to leave your main base both to avoid wildfires as well as sinkholes.

If it's another event when mobs drop random countless items (winter feast), or items are already lying on the ground (hallowed nights), then i don't want it. No one ever picks them up after a while as they have little use and they litter the floor 

23 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

If it's another event when mobs drop random countless items (winter feast), or items are already lying on the ground (hallowed nights), then i don't want it. No one ever picks them up after a while as they have little use and they litter the floor 

So long as you aren't Wigfrid you can just eat every single winters feast food that drops as it drops for extra stats and you can just feed any decorations you don't want to a lureplant bin (or hoard them like me..).

I for one love the additional seasonal items... winters feast decorations and all the hallowed nights stuff too. Actually gives us cool, seasonal content and drops.

Also with new world settings once you are sick of an event you can always turn it off.

Archived