[Game Update] - 453479

• Developer

Hi friends! A small patch before the weekend with some fixes to Duplicant radiation exposure.

Changes

• Added "Radiation Balance" line item to Duplicant's condition panel
  • Cosmic Radiation now falls off on a curve instead of linearly.
    • Constructed tiles are now effective shielding from cosmic radiation
    • Note: Radiation shielding is not fully implemented for all sources of radiation yet.
  • Renamed nuclear reactor to Research Reactor
  • Minor HEP art revision 
  • Art revisions to Research Reactor meltdown and dead animations
  • Improved descriptions on Atomic Collider and Research Reactor

Fixes

• Fixed issue preventing Duplicants from recovering from radiation exposure at the proper rate
  • Remove Unity splash screen
  • Fixed issue with placer art on Uranium Centrifuge
  • Fixed a bug that caused sidescreen titles to not update if you clicked from one building with a sidescreen to another
  • Removed "(Original)" suffix from plants
  • Hooked up correct Lead artwork

View full update

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Health 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 1

Can I mop my bases again now? EDIT: yes, only 2 rads now. I've been having the printing pod crash bug too. EDIT2: Shine bugs now give off a load of radiation. Maybe I didn't notice it before due to my whole base being flooded with radiation.

Edited by Superstarbeejay

14 minutes ago, pether said:

how does it work in detail? I don't understand and the attached picture onluy confuses me more... :(

I believe it's showing how much Radiation they block.  You need a thickness of 12+ constructed Metal tiles, or 3-5 dense natural mineral tiles to block Cosmic Radiation from Space.

Edited by Pyrex042

2 minutes ago, Pyrex042 said:

I believe it's showing how much Radiation they block.  You need a thickness of 12+ constructed Metal tiles, or 3-5 dense natural mineral tiles to block Cosmic Radiation from Space.

but there are 4 different constructions with metal tiles and each work differently...

1 minute ago, marioespinho said:

can someone explain how the cosmic radiation block work? i can't seem to understand by the picture alone.

It's exponential with each successive block.  For example, 1 ordinary igneous tile will block about 60% of inbound radiation,  2 tiles will block 84% and 3 will block 94%.  According to my testing.  Different materials block more or less. 

The math is a little easier if you look at the inverse - how much radiation can pass through.  If 40% can pass through a single tile then the amount passing through n tiles is 0.40^n.  The important thing is that dupes can now clear 100 rad per cycle.  In this example it goes as follows:

1 tile = 40% passing through

2 tiles = .40 * .40 = 16% passing through

3 tiles = .40 * .40 * .40 = 6.4% passing through.  

For the cosmic rays, it goes from 24 rads to 10 to 4 with just 2 tiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, pether said:

how does it work in detail? I don't understand and the attached picture only confuses me more... :(

It appears that everything now offers some kind of radiation protection, even air. In addition, as the rads get lower, so does the amount of radiation individual tiles will remove.  

• Thanks 2

image.thumb.png.a5b302e1527a57c8fcadff5577a8dc1e.png

Great. Now radiation sickness can be healed.

As long as your dupe's rad balance drops below 100, they become healed of all radiation ailments.

It's weird how radiation sickness can be completely healed within a day of non-exposure(or less if you take rad pills) if you got a minor sickness by crossing the 100 rad threshold.

Also, seems like radiation resistance reduce the rate at which dupes gain rads. If a tile has 100 rads/cycle, the dupe will only gain 80 rads/cycle if they have a radiation resistance of 20% by eating seafood. Lead suits only grants 66% resistance, so you still don't want to stay in a radiated area for a prolonged time.

• Thanks 2