Radiation sickness

Long story short, this guy was building a series of solar panels and now he's sick. 

2.thumb.jpg.e8ad3a7fbc9a1126f5e11239ea62fde9.jpg

That's how I suddenly found out that radiation was introduced.

Eating Rad pills is useless. Moreover, the first aid kit that could, theoretically, treat this has disappeared from the production list. Sick Bay now requires some kind of incomprehensible thing. Apparently, the first aid kit went to recycle and never came back.

2.thumb.jpg.7f4ec8c8f9b360a7a1bf756155b6e2a9.jpg

I've been trying to figure out how to cure a dude for about an hour now. What's more, I still haven't figured out how you can shield radiation (I assume with a lead wall, but I don't even have lead yet!)

Before I go swearing in bug reports, I decided to ask, does anyone know a way to cure the dude? Maybe I just don't understand the mechanics of radiation.

Edited: Ah, yes. The disease doesn't go away on its own. There's nothing in description about the dude having to throw up.

Okay, now there are two of them.
There were two of them...

2.thumb.jpg.0df08341c9693499aa14a3b238b8791a.jpg

I built a little hospice for radiation sick Dupes, inside they could only eat, sleep, **** and lie on the massage table. Of course, I forbade them to go out. but in the end, they don't survive. A long painful death. They vomit, they suffocate, like with Slimelung, they fall down from exhaustion and can't get enough sleep, and eventually don't have time to eat enough to cover their caloric intake. Death comes from starvation. 

I still haven't found any way to protect myself from radiation, except for 2 tile high layer of water. I can't figure out how to get to lead yet, to test the lead wall theory, I have both diggers sick and one of them is already dead.

Great game!

14 minutes ago, yopyop6 said:

My understanding is they want to make rad sickness a permanent thing. Maybe rad pills are meant to be used before going to a rad place, like space. Dunno.

Well, the problem is that radiation protection is impossible without lead (new lead suits were introduced here). But radiation shows up before you even have a hypothetical chance to dig up lead at all (cosmic radiation).  Moreover, to research a lead suit, you need a collider (a new research station) powered by radiation. Rad Pills could be a way out, if not for the idiotic micromanagement around their ingestion. I mean, to fly to another asteroid, you have to make a whole ton of these pills and bring them with you, they last 1 cycle.

Fish and lettuce? They indicated (before radiation update) they have some effect in radiation intake (not that there is any visible meter currently...)

Lead/metal walls don't seem to protect from cosmic radiation. Even lead suits don't protect from extreme radiation (I think... after doing a quick reactor meltdown "testing", but maybe there was radiation poisoning before that)

From what it looks they forgot to add the radiation cure. The description on the medical station shows it`s waiting for an unimplemented medication. The rad pills are a preventive measure similar to how vitamin pills work. To get something out of them you need to restrict access to the surface to a limited amount of dupes and enable the pills for those dupes. That`s not that much micromanagement imo. But still it supposedly reduces the chance of radiation sickness not removes it. Guess we need to wait for them to implement something to cure our dupes.

Anyone tried if bunker tiles protect from radiation? Beacause it looks like we should go back to rocket silos beneath the surface to be safe from radiation.

7 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Anyone tried if bunker tiles protect from radiation?

Nothing protects... ~8 insulated tiles block (2.4t igneous-obsidian-ceramic are more efficient, 0 rad beneath), 2 tiles of brine, 2-3 tiles of water or natural raw mineral tiles on surface (not only the abyssalite layer)...

20 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

From what it looks they forgot to add the radiation cure. The description on the medical station shows it`s waiting for an unimplemented medication.

Easy enough to add. The working day is just about to start in Vancouver, so maybe we will get a fix before the weekend.

10 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Nothing protects... ~8 insulated tiles block (2.4t igneous-obsidian-ceramic are more efficient, 0 rad beneath), 2 tiles of brine, 2-3 tiles of water or natural raw mineral tiles on surface (not only the abyssalite layer)...

Probably still missing as well.

28 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Anyone tried if bunker tiles protect from radiation? Beacause it looks like we should go back to rocket silos beneath the surface to be safe from radiation.

Yeah as an alternative to meteors it would be a decent incentive to build bunker tiles/doors again

42 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Why not?

Normal cells block radiation with varying efficiency.  

I measured it.
A normal cell blocks 1 unit of radiation.
Metal and airflow cage - blocks 0
Insulation - blocks 3.5 (passing through it the radiation beam loses 3 or 4 units).

That is, it takes 8 blocks of insulation to block the cosmic radiation background. 
But your guys will get sick while they're building it.
Reminds me of Chernobyl) 

Maybe rad pills and rad suits would allow the dupes to build the roof without death or need for medicine after...  - Rushing space for rockets seems to be out of the question atleast till we get the medicine needed...

Also it seems rad pills don't work ? they say they remove 100 rads/cycle, and space rad is only 28/cycle, so just the pills alone should be enough to keep the dupes from getting sick, yet it seems not to work seeing how my last colony completely collapsed after the patch, despite mass producing rad pills... 

1 hour ago, SkunkMaster said:

they say they remove 100 rads/cycle, and space rad is only 28/cycle, so just the pills alone should be enough to keep the dupes from getting sick, yet it seems not to work seeing how my last colony completely collapsed after the patch, despite mass producing rad pills... 

I believe the mechanics work in a chance rather than cumulative way. I mean, yes, the pills eliminate the radiation, but the fact that it interacts with the dude in any way at all gives a chance of disease. I don't know if that's how it's designed, but that concept is fine with me, just let them not die, but recover after, say, 20 cycles.

I do wonder, though, if this is minor radiation sickness, then what is severe...

I am hoping that radiation (sickness) remains a strong threat for dupes - Even playing in the "No sweat" mode. It is one of these things, next to rockets, which gives me this "Cold War/Space Race" immersion feeling in the game and will put me under pressure to balance between achieving my own set colony construction/exploration goals and making things safe(r) for dupes.

Please don't make radiation too soft or harmless for players dear Klei team.

11 minutes ago, RageLeague said:

From the info screen, it says that dupes has an innate -100 RAD/cycle. Not sure what that means. I'm not seeing -100 RAD/cycle working, though.

I think it's unlikely that they've developed a radically new scheme for the anti-rad. Most likely, it works the same way as immunoboosters. That is, there was a 20% chance of getting sick on contact, now it's 5%.

That the radiation works based on the mechanics of viral (and allergic) infections is hinted at by this entry, which they forgot to block (this is the first asteroid, there is no slimelung):

2.jpg.51a686df563321c23bdc7a93ab58ab75.jpg

Archived