The Best Long Term Character?

Honestly, any of them. They all have their super fun mechanics, so just play them all and decide after that. If you already did that and just want a recommendation, well, it's worth as much as clicking the "random" in character choice screen. If you don't like who you got you'll change it anyway. 

Go for any character, all are good in the end if experienced in general game-play. Get the gigs of each-and-everyone of them, more-so as you mentioned playing only Worm and Wolf in your current world. Try different strats (not just the "accepted meta") using each character's forte, you'll surely have fun. Try Willow vs enraged Dragonfly and not bothering with Klaus' fire deer, setting group mobs on fire to induce panic and deal with single targets; cooking on Lava Ponds, or sitting directly in fire for quick warmth. Try Walter for his gold micro-economy via shooting small critters, exchanging (1-10) Morsels to gold at PK, also farming Krampi in the meanwhile. Wendy and Abi for crowd control, even on Ocean (easy stunlocking Sharks, simple disposal of Cookie Cutters). A.s.o. Take time and discover each of the cast to see who best fits your end-game play-style. Gl!

Well if you don't want to block yourself off from the default contents of the game in the long term and shape the constant in your image, Winona would be your best pick. She has very fast crafting, easy and convenient sewing kits/boat patches, isn't blocked off of any features of the game through a downside, has a pretty good favorite food and most importantly can dominate the constant and keep shaping it in line with your desires using all sorts of catapult setups.

Walter is fine for late game comfort too, you don't ever have to up your sanity, and he can eat raw honey, which is an important part for my late game.

But as other said, mostly any character can thrive in late game, it really depends on what you want to do and how you enjoy spending your time.

Why are so many people literally saying every character is good in late game? he asked a question not whether everything is playable but which characters are the best and it is simply not true that all characters are equal in every stage of the game.

Woody is one of the strongest early to mid game characters for example but in late game he falls off.

Depends on what you are doing but if you are 1500 days in, Wickerbottom is great if you want to keep expanding your base, since you can get more materials like grass/twigs.

Winona is great if you switch to her and make your traps/setups and after switch to another character as she doesn't give any benefits to keep playing her once you build her catapults.

Wolfgang is only good if you really want to keep fighting bosses without any setups/traps, which i usually have on all of them by day 1500 but it depends on your playstyle.

WX-78 is great if you are playing with other people and one of them can swap to Wicker and charge you up for like 20 days at once.

Warly can be good for both playing solo and with a team, just depends on how you use him, maybe someone is playing him permanently or you can just bundle wrap tons of food and swap to him and craft it.

Wurt can be used to make Merm setups/traps, so it is great to make some in late game and switch character, but remember to make clever disguises and bundle wrap them if you are using King of the Merms, to be able to feed him.

Honestly for long term character choice WX is the best if you have someone to charge you and by the 1500 days in, you can literally have 500 gears, A good idea is to have a stack of gears in your inventory and you will never be in a hurry to make food or carry it in wraps and not having much inventory space. Obviously you should try to have food if you can so your gears can last permanently as long as you keep clearing the ruins.

All characters are playable and even i have a character that i enjoy playing just because i really like their story and every character has something that makes someone want to play them, Most of the characters have benefits where they overshadow all other characters at certain parts of the game and that is what is great but not every character is that useful in late game compared to some.

9 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Why are so many people literally saying every character is good in late game? he asked a question not whether everything is playable but which characters are the best and it is simply not true that all characters are equal in every stage of the game.

Honestly give everyone a bee queen hat, two dozen bee boxes in caves, and periodically make bee mines and every character minus Wigfrid can comfortably live a lazy, carefree existence. I’d call that equality.

With survival secured and no way to win the game, it can be argued that Wurt having an additional 100 merm huts, for example; is more ostentatious busy work than functionally being better. 

17 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Because really every character is good in late game, and which is "best" is just dependend on what you want to achieve in the next time frame. Late-game is also not a universal playstyle, it varies a lot from player to player and even for individual players it's ment to keep changing. Characters are of course not equal, but how are you going to rank them when all survival aspects are nearly automated ? It just becomes a question of what you want to do next, and if it's worth swapping characters to do so. Or, what others recommended, explore strategies and obscure tactics for fun.

Also, what is with your fixation with day 1500? 

18 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Honestly give everyone a bee queen hat, two dozen bee boxes in caves, and periodically make bee mines and every character minus Wigfrid can comfortably live a lazy, carefree existence. I’d call that equality.

With survival secured and no way to win the game, it can be argued that Wurt having an additional 100 merm huts, for example; is more ostentatious busy work than functionally being better. 

That doesn't make characters good, that's just gear and items and if you give Wolfgang the same, he'll be much better at combat.

That's literally like saying here's Wilson with end game gear with all the boosts and here's Wolfgang on day 1 and saying Wilson is better at combat.

You have to have something to work towards otherwise you'll get bored, having 100 merm huts with a good setup will give you unlimited fish and frog legs without any work. Its mostly about megabasing at that point if you are planning to build a large amount of them.

All characters should have a part of the game they are best at and surpass every other character and most of them do, we are still waiting on a couple of reworks but i think every updated character has value even outside of you just liking them and playing them for their story. 

As i said all characters are playable but that doesn't make them equal or the best at all stages of the game, it can make the game really easy but i'll ask you if i am playing charged WX for 20 days with a walking cane,magiluminescence amulet, how much faster would i be at almost any task compared to you playing any other character that  doesn't have speed boost.

9 hours ago, BeeClops said:

Because really every character is good in late game, and which is "best" is just dependend on what you want to achieve in the next time frame. Late-game is also not a universal playstyle, it varies a lot from player to player and even for individual players it's ment to keep changing. Characters are of course not equal, but how are you going to rank them when all survival aspects are nearly automated ? It just becomes a question of what you want to do next, and if it's worth swapping characters to do so. Or, what others recommended, explore strategies and obscure tactics for fun.

Also, what is with your fixation with day 1500? 

Its understandable what late game is, say by day 100-200 if you are really fast you can get to late game and kill most bosses, you may not have a big base or all setups made but the time frame from early to late isn't that long.

Its weird to say all characters are good when it is items and your setups that make them stronger, characters are the same as they are from day 1. They are stronger with better gear but that doesn't change what their basic abilities are, except some specific situations like WX requiring gears that actually  changes his stats.

When considering what is the best character, i thought about it for a while when i first asked myself that question and i came to conclusion that it is WX just based on what i said above. Most other characters can be swapped to like Winona or Wurt but they are pretty much not a permanent character but something you'll use to build their buildings and switch to another later. Once you are done with most of the buildings, you may swap your character for Warly once in a while if you want his food items but a character that is overall best for late game is WX as long as you have someone to charge you. 

It still kind of depends on what you are planning to do, majority of the players don't megabase but i'd still say that the permanent speed boost and light on WX is good for any type of playstyle.

I just used a specific day, 1500 as a really late game world with megabase as i don't really think there are many players on day 1500 with small base and not much built. Doesn't matter if its 1500,1000,2000 worlds that last that long are all really far into the late  game.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:45 PM, DoctorFallout42 said:

So I've been playing on a solo world and I've got a mega base and bunny farm up (day 1500), but outside of Wolfgang for fighting and Wormwood for farming vegetables, I'm not sure what character to play. Any advice?

Best long-term would be the least annoying character, the one that doesn't need often babysitting, plus has neutral relationship with all NPC. Wx, Wilson, Willow, and Wendy are the ones.

Archived