Sign in to follow this  
Ipsquiggle

[Game Update] - No Earthly Resin Update - Available Now! 452242

Recommended Posts

Ronivan    16

How you use the Solid/Gas/Liquid Ports? I have placed them connected in the platform, and the rocket goes have the modules; but nothing is ever loaded to it. The port says its idle because there is no rocket on the platform, which is not true since I can take off with it ( tested ). It says that it handles gases based on the platform filter, but again, there is no such option on the platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronivan    16

Well I found out this is a bug. After saving and reloading the game it worked. I didn't thought it was a bug in the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fleranon    27
1 hour ago, Ronivan said:

How you use the Solid/Gas/Liquid Ports? I have placed them connected in the platform, and the rocket goes have the modules; but nothing is ever loaded to it. The port says its idle because there is no rocket on the platform, which is not true since I can take off with it ( tested ). It says that it handles gases based on the platform filter, but again, there is no such option on the platform.

I think there are too many components in this system which makes it really confusing. There were no bugs in my case, but It took me forever to figure the system out . My two main Hurdles in successfully directing Resources into the Spacefarer Module:

Output AND input of the Rocket Port (The thing next to the platform) need to be connected to pipes.  Because I had no Intention of moving something OUT of the rocket, I just built a pipe leading to the rocket port input, ignoring the rocket port output. nothing happens. I expected something like the liquid reservoir, where it is not neccessary to build an output pipe for the reservoir to work (namely storing something inside). Which would habe been more in sync with the existing stuff i think

The Fact that you need additional gas/liquid/power Modules, not just the Port next to the platform and the Fittings inside the Spacefarer Module, confused me too. The Modules store the resources, the Ports direct them to the Spacefarer Module? First I thought that by installing the fittings inside the rocket, a brand new input/output port would appear on the outside of the spacefarer module, which was not the case. When I discovered the Rocket Ports , i tried to somehow connect the Rocket Port to the Fittings directly for the longest time. Building Rocket Ports INSIDE the Spacefarer Module should definitly not be possible, just like it is not possible to build Fittings in the outside world.

Why even bother with the Rocket Ports? Are the Gas/Liquid/Power/Modules neccessary when you can just stack infinite amounts of stuff directly into the rocket?

placing a pipe directly between the different Modules or just linking an external source with a pipe to the Module would have been more intuitive. The Inside Fittings are great and give you flexibility in placement and choice, but so far I can't see the purpose of the rocket ports besides making the system overly complex.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I just haven't figured it out yet and the system is really useful somehow.

Edited by fleranon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronivan    16
9 hours ago, fleranon said:

Why even bother with the Rocket Ports? Are the Gas/Liquid/Power/Modules neccessary when you can just stack infinite amounts of stuff directly into the rocket?

Any thoughts? I'm sure I just haven't figured it out yet and the system is really useful somehow.

Well I believe this was an experiment of sorts from Klei. You see, if you have a rocket interior that need ways to sustain life, like an controlled atmosphere, water, hygiene and disposal of waste, food, electricity, you surely would need means to provide that stuff. The idea was to use the rocket storage modules (liquid/gas/solid) to handle these important resources. You see, these modules were important; they would handle these materials and elements so you could transfer them from one asteroid to another. The confusion kinda began when you use the same container you would use just for these transportation reasons, for the rocket life support. It felt like I'm now forced to install several modules that otherwise I would not have need to use, and occupy module space that would have used for others reasons.

I'm not complaining about Klei idea on this subject; it was really good. However, this management of what goes inside the rocket for life support and what is just cargo made it kinda bad. Here are my thoughts, now this is my suggestion, if I may:

- Create a single module that handles small amounts of gas/liquid/solids. This module is for life support only; it means that the the ports inside the rocket will only take stuff from it, and not from the cargo modules that holds gas/liquid/solids. This way you have your life support storage module dedicated only to the interior of the rocket.

- Completely seal the rocket interior; the rocket walls are indestructible, which is good, BUT not the glass windows. These can be deconstructed, and in the case of the larger habitation module, you can even go outside. This is an exploit, and should not happen. This, combined with the internal material ports limitation only to the life support module, would make undesirable to use the habitation module as an infinite storage, which kinda totally breaks the reason for the other cargo modules.

  • Big Ups 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yunru    1753
53 minutes ago, Ronivan said:

Well I believe this was an experiment of sorts from Klei.

Not at all, clearly it's a way to address concerns that the modules were useless, by allowing us to use them as additional storage while in the ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sakura_sk    1082
1 hour ago, Ronivan said:

Create a single module that handles small amounts of gas/liquid/solids. This module is for life support only; it means that the the ports inside the rocket will only take stuff from it, and not from the cargo modules that holds gas/liquid/solids. This way you have your life support storage module dedicated only to the interior of the rocket.

The question is : how do you handle it from ground? Should there be another port to connect only to the life support module otherwise how would you fill/empty it? And also..."small amounts"? Cargo modules are already too inefficient... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sasza22    3336

The modules used for life support create a slight annoyance. Lets say you want to pump oxygen inside the command module and CO2 outside. You will have both gasses mixed in the gas module and means of filtering them. A filter is too large for the solo nosecone. Then when you want to ressuply with oxygen the landing pad cargo system forces you to drain the whole gas module first and then pump gas back in. That`s pretty inefficient. It also doesn`t allow to operate other cargo modules until it`s done. Not to mention you can`t transport any other gasses using that rocket.

I think we need a way to configure those modules better. We could use an utility module for oxygen and water plus a battery. I need to try it with bigger rockets but currently it seems like if the fittings trade module amount for space inside the command module. For longer trips we need both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pyrex042    44
2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

We could use an utility module for oxygen and water plus a battery. I need to try it with bigger rockets but currently it seems like if the fittings trade module amount for space inside the command module. 

I think this might be the right approach.  Imagine a LifeSupport module that could be stocked with a few hundred kilos of Algae, Oxylite or LOX for atmosphere (using an efficiency multiplier like the Oxidizer tank), and a few hundred kilos each of Water and Filtration Medium and consumes power from the rocket engine.  Should probably also include a half-size battery module.

You then get fixtures inside the Spacefarer module for incoming O2 (from the module) and outgoing CO2 (vented to space), incoming water and outgoing pwater (recycled in the module using filtration medium).

Edited by Pyrex042

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronivan    16
2 hours ago, Pyrex042 said:

I think this might be the right approach.  Imagine a LifeSupport module that could be stocked with a few hundred kilos of Algae, Oxylite or LOX for atmosphere (using an efficiency multiplier like the Oxidizer tank), and a few hundred kilos each of Water and Filtration Medium and consumes power from the rocket engine.  Should probably also include a half-size battery module.

You then get fixtures inside the Spacefarer module for incoming O2 (from the module) and outgoing CO2 (vented to space), incoming water and outgoing pwater (recycled in the module using filtration medium).

Thats a pretty neat idea sir. Indeed a Life Suport module would work just like the Solid Oxydizer tank perhaps, receving Oxylite for providing oxygen and clean water. The Life Suport module would then provide oxygen and clean water to the interior, also getting the dirty water and using power to clean it back to clean water again. This would limit the amount of dupes you would carry in the rocket, because too many of them would overload the capacity of the life suport module, either by the amount of oxylite store or by the amount of dirty water it can treat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
babba    1813
7 hours ago, Xenocent said:

can we have vehicle for dupe? to maximize movement

4x3 tile or so sized buggy for dupes would be ace, can also be loaded in to the proposed Space Shuttle and would play great on big maps. To map maneuver it can also drive 45 degree`s up and down in maps. Can also be loaded with Uranium for express priority delivery to reactors...Or requires Plutonium as fuel to drive.

image.png.1feeb294d3d08857c8669d0221983a91.png

If @pether would be in the mood we perhaps could get a great tank mod based on Klei`s buggy vehicle ( or rover :confused: ), to shoot tiles away as a new mining method. :excitement::angel::excitement:

Also...

image.png.114004248226baf9ae1b6f757e9fa14f.png Advanced coffee machine - Hypes up dupes and players.

Edited by babba
  • GL Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JesusOnEez    24

Has anyone noticed that you can't create a Medicine Pack to cure Slimelung any more? Not sure when that changed. I know Slimelung isn't a huge deal, but I'm OCD and like to cure them...

  • Sad Dupe 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sakura_sk    1082
4 minutes ago, JesusOnEez said:

you can't create a Medicine Pack

Doesn't it appear when you have balm lily flower and phosphorite as "discovered" materials? Although I know that serum vial doesn't cure zombie spores anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JesusOnEez    24
1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

Doesn't it appear when you have balm lily flower and phosphorite as "discovered" materials? Although I know that serum vial doesn't cure zombie spores anymore...

Mmmm...maybe that's something they "fixed" as it used to be there before you had access to Balm Lillies...I am still early in the game...haven't broken into Caustic yet.

EDIT: I've now got access to Balm Lilly and still not able to make the Medical Pack. I'm wondering if they've deprecated it in favour of pushing people to use clean air gas masks instead...can't see anything in patch notes though.

Edited by JesusOnEez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RageLeague    1479

In the experimental update, they seem to removed everything else from the apothecary except pills. Perhaps they intend to introduce a new medicine making station?

  • Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1
  • GL Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KonfigSys    198

I am growing unhappy about the DLC. The rocket update was not great.

First of all, all these various sizes - not great visually and sometimes they do not work as intended: solid oxidizer may not be loaded by dups, I could not build electrical wires for the battery module in the middle of the module as it cannot be reached, etc.

Second, the modules' limit is too low. You have all these modules but really not much you can use with all these rockets.

Third, the length limit is annoying - the space (above the rocket) is very small (compared to the vanilla game) and on top of that the small asteroids have even smaller space. 

Fourth, the new outlets/inlets are not very useful as the space is too limited and using external modules to make the outlets functional is a bad idea.

Fifth, I also expected that they would come up with a bigger habitat module for oil and hydrogen rockets (the space allows to do that - using the bug one can build a sizable enough habitat modules for lengthy and enjoyable trips).

I consider, all above could be easily fixed:

1. Make all modules same width (small and large) but different height. Reduce the height to one tile for the small module and two tiles for the large one (similar what they did to the liquid oxidizer tank). If it is done, it will solve the problem 1 and 3. Also put the indicating loading bar for fuel and oxydizer horizontally rather than vertically (it can be two horizontal bars for large modules and one for small one to be accurate).

2. Add at least one extra module to each rocket or at least for large ones (now if the item 1 is done, it should not be a problem with the total height).

3. Introduce a new port - life support building - same connection to the platform but it connects directly to the habitat outlets/inlets and to all 5 of them - allowing to remove CO2 and pump O2; load food/consumables and unload waste, pump clean water and remove polluted water. 

4. Add one bigger habitat module (it nay come through the specific research) with bigger weight/burden.

All these steps make a great improvement and reduce unnecessary micromanagement of pilots. Also it makes the automation really possible.

  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sasza22    3336
1 hour ago, RageLeague said:

In the experimental update, they seem to removed everything else from the apothecary except pills. Perhaps they intend to introduce a new medicine making station?

That`s interesting. Maybe they`ll rework how medicine works as well. Seeing how radiation sickness hits hard even when it`s minor maybe they`ll redo the other sicknesses to have minor and severe cases as well. They could also work in a similar fashion - based on exposure. Would be closer to the old system and curing wouldn`t be instant, it would instead speed up recovery drastically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JesusOnEez    24
5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

That`s interesting. Maybe they`ll rework how medicine works as well. Seeing how radiation sickness hits hard even when it`s minor maybe they`ll redo the other sicknesses to have minor and severe cases as well. They could also work in a similar fashion - based on exposure. Would be closer to the old system and curing wouldn`t be instant, it would instead speed up recovery drastically.

Hopefully. I liked it better when Slimelung was something to be feared...then the nerfing made it kind of irrelevant. Now in the test build I guess they're trying to push the use of gas masks for entering the slime biome safely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
babba    1813
6 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

I am growing unhappy about the DLC. The rocket update was not great.

First of all, all these various sizes - not great visually and sometimes they do not work as intended: solid oxidizer may not be loaded by dups, I could not build electrical wires for the battery module in the middle of the module as it cannot be reached, etc.

Second, the modules' limit is too low. You have all these modules but really not much you can use with all these rockets.

Third, the length limit is annoying - the space (above the rocket) is very small (compared to the vanilla game) and on top of that the small asteroids have even smaller space. 

Fourth, the new outlets/inlets are not very useful as the space is too limited and using external modules to make the outlets functional is a bad idea.

Fifth, I also expected that they would come up with a bigger habitat module for oil and hydrogen rockets (the space allows to do that - using the bug one can build a sizable enough habitat modules for lengthy and enjoyable trips).

I consider, all above could be easily fixed:

1. Make all modules same width (small and large) but different height. Reduce the height to one tile for the small module and two tiles for the large one (similar what they did to the liquid oxidizer tank). If it is done, it will solve the problem 1 and 3. Also put the indicating loading bar for fuel and oxydizer horizontally rather than vertically (it can be two horizontal bars for large modules and one for small one to be accurate).

2. Add at least one extra module to each rocket or at least for large ones (now if the item 1 is done, it should not be a problem with the total height).

3. Introduce a new port - life support building - same connection to the platform but it connects directly to the habitat outlets/inlets and to all 5 of them - allowing to remove CO2 and pump O2; load food/consumables and unload waste, pump clean water and remove polluted water. 

4. Add one bigger habitat module (it nay come through the specific research) with bigger weight/burden.

All these steps make a great improvement and reduce unnecessary micromanagement of pilots. Also it makes the automation really possible.

+1 Gigaton

*lrzkkrzrzr* *Pulls out very old construction papers* *thumb* *Here are some old shape rocket designs I had in my suitcase*

image.thumb.png.2353121d161ae372afdcb46ed6cdeb15.png image.png.1d7ed9fb4f6fae36452b596e33312168.png "SS-N-20"

... If all rocket modules are the same width I can rebuild it. Some shape variety to combine would be nice though :cool-new:

Please make the DLC more crash and freeze stable, then I can start building rockets for the first time :love-struck:

Edited by babba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronivan    16

I have no idea how to make the cargo modules unload their cargo after the last update. The ports are placed correctly and they load stuff successfully, but they refuse to unload anything stored. Is there anything you must toogle to make them unload?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronivan    16

Yes it is there of course. It just don't unload anything it gets in. I tried many thing, but no avail so far.

I also tried an experiment in a clean new game without any mods and using just debug, and yet, it refuses to unload anything. I believe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't get it.

- Gas Port installed next to the rocket platform

- Has power supply

- Has Input and Output doors connect with pipes, linked to separated reservoirs

- It loads gas correctly but won't unload any gas, either the gas loaded or the carbon dioxide generated within the rocket and stored by the rocket interior gas port.

- As a side note, the gas is inside the gas cargo module; I can see the oxygen there and the carbon dioxide later stored by the rocket interior gas port. It says no issue messages whatsoever. Same occurs with the liquid cargo module.

Edited by Ronivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sakura_sk    1082

@Ronivan if everything works did you try to launch and land..? I think ports unload only when rockets land in the platform (like it was in the base game) but that is problematic in DLC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronivan    16

Oh yes I did, actually it was the first time I found out that it was not unloading, since I was returning from a trip. I believe I had like 288g of carbon dioxide stored in the cargo tank, and it was not unloading. Also I had 512g of polluted water in the other cargo tank, and it too was also not unloading. That is how my ordeal began.

Alas, I don't believe this is right place to report such errors. I will keep on trying and if I can't make it happen, I will start a bug report.

Edited by Ronivan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this