Here are some of my theories and headcanons (it may be of interest to you)

First, I want to start with Maxwell's quote 

What year is it out there? Time moves differently here

I think Maxwell and Charlie spent over 40,000 years in The Constant. And that is between 1906 and 1910 in earth time. Before Maxwell started taking people from the earth into the Constant. And the first Characters Maxwell Brought into the Constant was Wes, but Maxwell was displeased by Wes poor performance. So Maxwell imprisoned him. This is the list of the Characters that have been Brought into the Constant after Wes. When Maxwell was the king (the list is sorted by order)

Wickerbottom
Wolfgang
Woodie
Webber
Warly
Wigfrid
Willow
Wendy
Wagstaff
WX-78
Winona
Wilson

Now I'm going to explain why Winona is on the list. My reasons are 
1- Charlie did have a split personality when she grabbed Winona (that means it was before she took the throne) 
2- the design of the portal that Winona tried to fix is a bit similar to Maxwell's Door.
So Winona was just on a different island when Maxwell was the king
But when Charlie took the throne. She Brought Winona to the other survivors.

While the Characters in The Constant age normally. The moment they die their age reset to the point they first entered the Constant. But they have the memories of their past lives.

We know that the dark magic and the Nightmare Fuel can change a person's personality a lot like how William turns into Maxwell after finding the Codex Umbra.
When Maxwell and Charlie were dragged into The Constant "they" put Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne and fused Charlie with Nightmare Fuel. That caused her to have a split personality. A side of her was the sweet and caring Charlie. was mad at Maxwell for what happened and the other side was sadistic and cruel enjoyed seeing him suffer on the Nightmare Throne.

Maxwell was worried  about what happen to Charlie but when Wes died of total darkness when Maxwell was watching him. At that point maxwell know that there is a Night Monster, and it is non-other than Charlie. And aside from the split personality she is fully aware and conscious of what she is doing. Charlie relation to the Nightmare Throne is like Webber relation to spiders. The Nightmare Throne is not hostile to Charlie. Since she is not a fully human like Maxwell or Wilson. 

Charlie can free Maxwell from the Nightmare Throne if she wanted to. But if she freed him and took his place. Maxwell may think that maybe Charlie still cares about him. But she doesn't want him to think that way. So she waited and waited. When Maxwell became bored and wanted someone to take his place. While Charlie does have a split personality, she still has a personality. For example, she rolled her eyes every time Wilson died for a silly reason in the Adventure Mode. But finally Wilson took Maxwell place. In less than a minute after that Charlie went to the throne room, and we all know what happens after that.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170507185348/http://ecfor.tumblr.com/post/138589147719

@Tamir's theory:

How long have Maxwell and Charlie been stuck in the world of Don’t Starve? Here are the maths.

Maxwell (William Carter) and Charlie ended up in the Don’t Starve world on April 17th 1906 during the The Final Act. This is our starting indicator. Wilson’s appearance in the Don’t Starve world in 1921 will be used as our ending indicator. The date of Wilson’s disappearance is unclear but I chose October 1st because his property looks rather dull and Autumn'ish in the Forbidden Knowledge Trailer.

• The amount of time between April 17th 1906 and October 1st 1921 is 15 years, 3 months and 13 days = 5582 days (leap years included).
  • 1 in-game day = 8 real life minutes
  • One real life day equals 1440 minutes (24 x 60 = 1440)
  • 1440 minutes x 5582 days= 8038080 minutes
  • 8038080 / 1004760 = 8 in-game minutes
  • 1004760 days ≈ 2751 years.
  • Maxwell and Charlie have been living there for 2751 years. To somebody in the real world this would be experienced as approximately 15 years, 3 months and 13 days - the time span between April 17th 1906 and October 1st 1921.

TIMELINE POSTED AT THE KLEI FORUMS 26.9.2014 ↓

• 1890s - 1906: William Carter origin story
  • 1906: William and Charlie enter the DS world.
  • 1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that has yet to be revealed.
  • 1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.
  • 1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).
  • * THE ORIGINAL GAME + Reign of Giants STARTS HERE *
  • ?: Wilson lives in the DS world for a while. Dies a lot, eventually finds Maxwell’s door and confronts Maxwell.
  • ?: Wilson replaces Maxwell on the Nightmare Throne, Maxwell becomes Waxwell.
  • ?: Some other crazy stuff happens that Klei haven’t told you about yet.
  • ?: The Don’t Starve Together plotline begins!

Winona and Walter both experience time anomalies ( since both arrive later than others)

With Winona arriving after Metheus and Walter after the "moon splash" incident
Also both of them use already used way of travel (i.e. Wagstaff used the portal before Winona and Woodie used the radio before Walter)

Which leads me to assume that if someone were to use an already-used snatching method, they suffer time anomalies.

Also a reused travel method was with Charlie during The Act, but she was fused with Darkness (and perhaps even was delayed in time, just like Winona and Walter,).

If it wouldn't be for Charlie being duo-taken first, I assume Winona would fuse with Darkness (if she would get snatched, that is).

I believe there might be a slight plot-hole since Wilson is described as being inspired by the 1920's, leading people to believe that he was taken into the Constant in that decade, but the newspaper in the newest refresh animation lists the San Francisco earthquake that happened just a day after Maxwell and Charlie's final act, on the 18th of April 1906.

13 hours ago, Pinegrove said:

I believe there might be a slight plot-hole since Wilson is described as being inspired by the 1920's, leading people to believe that he was taken into the Constant in that decade, but the newspaper in the newest refresh animation lists the San Francisco earthquake that happened just a day after Maxwell and Charlie's final act, on the 18th of April 1906.

There are two sets of disappearances.

One is 1906-1914, and the other one is 1919-1921.

The wigfrid refresh doesn't necessarily mean it's in the future, the newspaper actually disproves that.

14 hours ago, Pinegrove said:

But maybe waxwell didnt trick wilson until 15 years after he enter the constant. In DS as wilson you can see many fallen survivors. Maxwell had some fun before taking wilson

17 hours ago, Muzarello said:

(it may be of interest to you)  Is so good I just had to click, Wes being the first one would be so crazy, imagine if his animated short shows something like that,  being locked to protect him from himself.

I like to that Maybe wes have multiple personalities, like a mental desease, have a cruel and depraved side and a quiet and innocent side. but the Constant aggravate the condition, where one side is crazy and very strong and the other side mute(quiet) and weak. Which was why maxwell had to lock him down and put restrictions on it. 

4 hours ago, Articestone said:

I like to that Maybe wes have multiple personalities, like a mental desease, have a cruel and depraved side and a quiet and innocent side. but the Constant aggravate the condition, where one side is crazy and very strong and the other side mute(quiet) and weak. Which was why maxwell had to lock him down and put restrictions on it. 

Idk if it would go this far, but damn, Wagstaff run for your life, Them made Maxwell lock Wes so he wouldn't take the Nightmare Throne or the Constant himself if that's so.
image.thumb.png.8c5b4d28451ac1c8ff22031871a0ffe6.png

Since @Muzarello and @Articestone seem interested. In my theory about Wes being the first survivor in the Constant. It may interest them to know my reason to think that way. I think Wes is the first because of Winona's conspiracy board. In the board there is a photo of "Exposition Universelle et Internationale" which took place in Brussels, Belgium in 1910. And the year Maxwell started taking people is 1910 (in earth time)

link to my sources 

8 minutes ago, Pacifica NW said:

snip

small amendment;

walter's uniform is decidedly from the 1930's. that combination of shirt and scarf wasn't in common use until the very end of the 1920's. 1910-1920's shirts always had the large 'patch' pockets with metal buttons and white socks were disallowed  (i think by 1927-28 the scout handbook started allowing white socks). the hat and colour combination he wears was an adoption of the1930's so even giving some lenience for artistic deviance he's outside of the 1921 range(which totally works, look how derelict woodie's cottage is? he obviously hadn't been there for some time)

c5ef26c7fdfcec460bddfee9b8fd6a87.jpg&f=1Jambo37_20.gif&f=1&nofb=1

i will say this tho' it kinda bugs be that the badge on the sleeve looks a lot like a tiger cub rank, like, i can imagine him being like 7 or so given his personality but i don't think that grouping existed before the 40's aaand i think he is supposed to be older than wurt and wormwood(and possibly webber?) since he talks about 'the younger kids' often enough

I mostly still hold to that headcanon I posted in September, except for two things: 1) Wigfrid could be from 1910 or so rather than 1906-1907 and be reading an old newspaper in her cinematic, which would line up better with the established timeline while still placing her as the survivor from the earliest Earth date except for Maxwell himself, and 2) WX-78 most likely comes from around the same time as Wagstaff and Winona, since they were almost certainly built by Wagstaff and they have one or two mysterious quotes about large fires that hint at them having been present for the factory fire.

I don't know if Walter's outfit is an accurate reflection of his time period, especially since he's from a fictional counterpart organization rather than the real Boy Scouts in the first place; it wouldn't be the first time Klei put characters in anachronistic outfits. For instance, Woodie's underwear is 1930s-era as well even though he's supposed to be from 1921 or earlier like the other original/RoG survivors, and in Winona and Charlie's childhood family photo from Next of Kin - taken between the late 1880s and mid 1890s, presumably, since Charlie's a young adult in 1906 - their family's outfits are either historically inaccurate or inappropriately casual for a formal portrait.

As for Maxwell and Charlie, while the math holds up for converting real time to in-game time, we don't know if the ratio of time in the Constant to time on Earth is actually the same as the ratio of in-game time to our-world time. Maybe a day passing in 8 Earth minutes is just a game mechanic. Maxwell didn't say how time flowed differently, just that it did.

We also only have his word on the subject, and he's been an unreliable source before, since he said there wasn't much there besides dust and the void and Them before he arrived but then as a playable character he points out merms as having already been there. I don't know if he'd lie outright about stuff like that but he might exaggerate, forget important parts, or make wrong guesses.

5 hours ago, Rylanor said:

I think that he is roughly 12-13, and since devs once told us that Wendy (and possibly Webber) is 9, its explain why he talks about 'younger kids' and not just 'kids'

The official word was that she's 8-10, not specifically 9, and now that we know her birthday and the year and month she entered the Constant, we know she's about 10 and a half because she and Abigail are mentioned in the William Carter Puzzles as having recently been born. The wiki has more information. Walter probably is around 12-13, since he also has quotes sympathising with Teenbirds and saying he's too mature for stuff like toys and candy.

12 hours ago, Rylanor said:

I think that he is roughly 12-13, and since devs once told us that Wendy (and possibly Webber) is 9, its explain why he talks about 'younger kids' and not just 'kids'

13 makes him a bit old for that uniforn but 10-11 is distinctly possible and likely to be the case. i will hold on to my grievance with that patch tho' X''D

6 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

I don't know if Walter's outfit is an accurate reflection of his time period, especially since he's from a fictional counterpart organization rather than the real Boy Scouts in the first place; it wouldn't be the first time Klei put characters in anachronistic outfits. For instance, Woodie's underwear is 1930s-era as well even though he's supposed to be from 1921 or earlier like the other original/RoG survivors, and in Winona and Charlie's childhood family photo from Next of Kin - taken between the late 1880s and mid 1890s, presumably, since Charlie's a young adult in 1906 - their family's outfits are either historically inaccurate or inappropriately casual for a formal portrait.

actually, and i know this is going to seem like a wishywasy excuses but late victoran costuming is actually very widely miscatagorized and misunderstood. because it spanned so many decades and is such a popular time period in historical and speculative fiction it is generally understood that if someone is doing something 'victorian' they are going to donk it up in the clothing department x''D the misrepresentation is so bad that for years if a customer wanted a 'victorian' design i would basically have to ask them if they wanted fantasy victoian(most did) or historically sound victorian and on the rare occasion they wanted historical i would have to share sketches and plates so they would know what they were asking for and not be surprised when the draft for their design was done(and even then a not inconsequential amount would ask for fantasy after seeing the real thing since only a very narrow window of time nearish the end ever met the expectation contemporary culture is in love with). funnily enough a lot of the more rounded 'victorian' designs were actually edwardian

On 2/16/2021 at 11:37 PM, LinknAllie said:

I just want to know where Wagstaff is.  Since he was brought right before Winona.  Where did he go?  Is he still on this "island"  Why?

I think some time in the near or distant future. Wagstaff is going to be added to DST. For example Warly. I never expected Warly to be added to DST. I know that  Characters will be added to DST, but I was expecting new  Characters like how Wortox and Winona are DST exclusive. You just need to be patient. I am 100% sure that Wagstaff is going to be added to DST eventually. It may be next year or after 5 years. I think that you also know that Klei love to take their sweet time doing things 

im thinking wagstaff is on some island in the constant, far away from everyone else chillin' by himself, or even behind everyone else, because there isnt much evidence pointing to maxwell luring wagstaff in that i know of, so maybe he sought out the constant in search for valuable knowledge kinda like wilson.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:51 AM, baniner said:

im thinking wagstaff is on some island in the constant, far away from everyone else chillin' by himself, or even behind everyone else, because there isnt much evidence pointing to maxwell luring wagstaff in that i know of, so maybe he sought out the constant in search for valuable knowledge kinda like wilson.

While Wagstaff is a better scientist than Wilson. It is hard to imagine that Wagstaff built the portal all by himself. I am just trying to create a theory that make sense. For example in 2015 if you say that Wendy is Maxwell's niece everyone will tell you that it is a nice theory, and it is possible to be true because Wendy's examination quote for Maxwell ("I feel a strange kinship with him.") And the letter from Jack Carter in the 3rd William Carter Puzzle (Jack Carter being Wendy and Abigail's father, and thus making Maxwell their uncle). But in 2015 klei did not say anything about Wendy connection to Maxwell. I'm not saying that my theory is going to be true in the future. I am just a person that tries to make sense in what little lore klei gives us

Two things I'm curious about is:

1) Did Wagstaff come in the constant by his own volition or did he strike a deal with Maxwell? Similarly to how Wilson and Wigfrid were tricked by Maxwell and what role does his creation (WX-78) play in his whole plan?

2) If I recall correctly Wheeler crashed her hot air balloon and became lost in The Constant, does that mean there are other ways for one to find themselves in The Constant that doesn't require a portal or striking a deal with Maxwell (Like Wigfrid does in her short)? if somebody theorizes that how she ended up in the constant is similar to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and she got sucked into a cyclone which resulted in her ending up in The Constant only raises more questions: are natural disasters capable of teleporting people into The Constant, if so to what extent? (Unless this "cyclone" wasn't natural but artificially made by Maxwell, if even possible, though we have no proof that he has that kinda power, other than projecting his face in the clouds like we see in Wilson's short). If the Wizard of Oz theory doesn't seem plausible at all then how she crashed her hot air balloon in The Constant still remains a mystery.

If these questions seems out-of-place with the original author's post inform me so I can remove it and *maybe* make a new topic to ask.

17 hours ago, mathem99 said:

Two things I'm curious about is:

1) Did Wagstaff come in the constant by his own volition or did he strike a deal with Maxwell? Similarly to how Wilson and Wigfrid were tricked by Maxwell and what role does his creation (WX-78) play in his whole plan?

2) If I recall correctly Wheeler crashed her hot air balloon and became lost in The Constant, does that mean there are other ways for one to find themselves in The Constant that doesn't require a portal or striking a deal with Maxwell (Like Wigfrid does in her short)? if somebody theorizes that how she ended up in the constant is similar to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and she got sucked into a cyclone which resulted in her ending up in The Constant only raises more questions: are natural disasters capable of teleporting people into The Constant, if so to what extent? (Unless this "cyclone" wasn't natural but artificially made by Maxwell, if even possible, though we have no proof that he has that kinda power, other than projecting his face in the clouds like we see in Wilson's short). If the Wizard of Oz theory doesn't seem plausible at all then how she crashed her hot air balloon in The Constant still remains a mystery.

If these questions seems out-of-place with the original author's post inform me so I can remove it and *maybe* make a new topic to ask.

Maybe the balloon went throw a time-space fisure in the sky, which can be seen as a tornado because how it sucks the air and everything close to it, kinda like the urban legends of bermudas triangle

Archived