[Game Update] - 451587

• Developer

Bug Fixes:

• Adding Settings option to disable Moving Head Icons.
  • Fixed a bug causing stumps that decay to remove all the relevant items, instead of leaving one of each item behind.
  • Fixed Bundling Wrap from losing skin information when entering and exiting Caves.
  • Updating legacy Lunar and Valentine skins to Timeless rarity.
  • Beefalo no longer duplicate during a rollback while a player is riding them.
  • Beefalo no longer duplicate during a rollback if the Beefalo Bell is in a backpack.
  • Fixed a crash when attempting to Hitch a Beefalo while not bonded to a Beefalo.
  • Fixed a crash on load if you had Amberosia in your inventory.
  • Fixed an issue causing sketches to always give you the pawn figure, sketches that you gave to the sculpting table that turned into pawn sketches are unfortunately not able to be properly fixed.

Bug Fixes from 451587:

• Fixed a bug causing all sketches to turn into pawn sketches.

View full update

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 3

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Adding Settings option to disable Moving Head Icons.

Yessssss! Would this option replace the current moving heads with their old texture icons? That would be perfect!

I know it's for technical reasons, but even if the heads didn't move and didn't blink, they still wouldn't look good. They're scaled to be too small, as to not do the models justice. The only heads that fit the full circle are characters like Wormwood and Winona (again, I know its for technical reasons, but as a result, everyone else's chin appears too low in the circle, so the face itself isn't centered.) Finally there was the problem of it being fairly resource intensive, since not only was it a rendered model, but an animated model, compared to a simple TEX file.

So hopefully, if this option is implemented the way I hope it's going to be implemented, my UI will not only look better, but run better as well!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Potato Cup 1

• Developer
1 minute ago, KCDA said:

Finally there was the problem of it being fairly resource intensive, since not only was it a rendered model, but an animated model, compared to a simple TEX file.

If the heads moving up and down was causing any sort of performance issues, being in the game world itself would bring your FPS down tremendously, to the point that the game would be unplayable.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sanity 2
  • GL Happy 1

1 minute ago, zarklord_klei said:

If the heads moving up and down was causing any sort of performance issues, being in the game world itself would bring your FPS down tremendously, to the point that the game would be unplayable.

It's not about the heads being laggy, it's about it further reducing frames for underperforming hardware.

Let's use a water usage analogy. A simple static TEX file would be like filling up a small glass with 150ml of water. The animated heads on the other hand would be like flushing a toilet. Odds are, your water bill can easily afford to do both, but it's still drastically different in scale.

So it's not about suddenly being unable to play DST thanks to the heads, it's about struggling to play it, and having further performance tanks due to said heads. Either way, we're getting the option to remove them, so hopefully that solves that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Potato Cup 1

• Developer
1 minute ago, Zadkhore said:

Will you do the same with the winter feast lamp? Its a question 

Possibly at Christmas time, or we'll simply turn the drop back on for anyone who logs in at that time.

Just now, Electroely said:

Probably not, since the Winter's Feast lamp is offered yearly like the Swoon emote, and the Swoon emote hasn't gotten a Timeless variant.

The emotes won't receive this treatment as having two variants with two / commands will just be confusing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Big Ups 2

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

So no need of prototyping a shovel xD

No, you don't understand.

Say you chop a tree and it drops 2 pinecones and 3 logs, but do not pick any of those up and do not dig up the stump. After a long time of being left alone (iirc 30+ days), the stump will despawn and it will delete the logs and pinecones you did not pick up, leaving only 1 pinecone and 1 log. In other words, letting stumps despawn deletes resources, it does not produce them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

No, you don't understand.

Say you chop a tree and it drops 2 pinecones and 3 logs, but do not pick any of those up and do not dig up the stump. After a long time of being left alone (iirc 30+ days), the stump will despawn and it will delete the logs and pinecones you did not pick up, leaving only 1 pinecone and 1 log. In other words, letting stumps despawn deletes resources, it does not produce them.

Oooh i see (my goodness today i have poop brain) that explains why sometimes i feel like there should be more logs in the floor after bearger chopping that i didnt cleaned

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KCDA said:

So it's not about suddenly being unable to play DST thanks to the heads, it's about struggling to play it, and having further performance tanks due to said heads.

I really really really feel like if someone gets a performance hit just from some animated heads on a character select, they wouldn't be able to handle the dozens of trees and plants and mobs all over the place even just around the spawn area anyway.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1