Please dont tell me i have to wait another year for Webber's rework.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, Warpspeed10 said:

Webber's biggest problem is that his greatest mechanical strengths do not match his character thematically. He is supposed to be the friend of spiders, but what he mostly ends up doing is starting spider wars to farm the three spider drops. That's not a very good friend if you ask me.

I'm sure he is not supposed to be friends with them tho, just dominate and manipulate to his own advantage.

Unlike Merms and Pigmen, and characters that befriend them, Webber and Spiders are all monsters, living the survival of the fittest forest life, you can even see befriended Spiders being afraid of him when nearby.

On 2/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, Mike23Ua said:

2: Can’t Tame Beefalo But CAN Tame & Ride Spider Queens as their replacement.

Oh gods please NO. She's a queen, not a personal mount! Her job is to make babies and be protected, not ferry the child into war with a giant fire-breathing predator!

Just.. I want to see Webber do more spider things and be able to safely live with spiders friends AND not-spider friends. Let him be the peacemaker between Spider and Survivor. And kill all the horrible pigs, of course. Make Wurt proud.

And please no transformations unless ALL normal spiders get transformations as well. Webber is half normal spider, half human child. Not half human child half radioactive super spider.

Pg. 2 Edit:

2 hours ago, Chesmu said:

you can even see befriended Spiders being afraid of him when nearby.

They're afraid of the sunlight, not of Webber. They're following him outside of their normal waking hours.

9 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

They're afraid of the sunlight, not of Webber. They're following him outside of their normal waking hours.

Nevermind looks like they really do that because of Sunlight.

All things considered webber isn't as bad as people say sure he's not very interesting but he's a character who requires the least effort to survive, friendly to the most common monster in the constant, can stockpile resources for stat management quickly, has free insulation, can eat most common and readily available food type with no downsides, and can amass a horde to help in combat for a very cheap resource it'd be nice if he does get a rework next but realistically he isn't in desperate need of one like wilson, wes, and even maxwell.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:24 PM, Dr.Medic said:

well here is my idea of webber rework that may or may not be good

1 webber is abel to make a special sticky turf that will slow down non players

2 to ad the poison in to dst i was thinkin that webber could get some sort of tool to poison creatures and do damage over time i mean for what does he even have the extra hp for if not for battel?

3 and thats propably the worst idea and that is that if i dont know if item use or other things need to happen but webber can transform into a spider warrior like webber for what ever how long

those are my best ideas i can come whit i know breath taken but at least webber is not restrict to build things that end up whit very not needed complex of gettin prestihatitator or bird cage for singel players games

i liked the third ideia he's half spider and half a kid so if he get's "scared" by low sanity or low health would be cool if he activated an inner instict to protect himself and then becoming an warrior spider. 

16 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

All things considered webber isn't as bad as people say sure he's not very interesting but he's a character who requires the least effort to survive, friendly to the most common monster in the constant, can stockpile resources for stat management quickly, has free insulation, can eat most common and readily available food type with no downsides, and can amass a horde to help in combat for a very cheap resource it'd be nice if he does get a rework next but realistically he isn't in desperate need of one like wilson, wes, and even maxwell.

Wendy straight up matches or outclasses him in every thing you mentioned, aside from the dubiously useful insulation, while offering a truckload of utility and combat perks Webber could never even dream of. Webber can farm spiders, Wendy can farm everything.

More importantly, spiders are one of the easiest mob and they can be farmed by anyone, either via traditional kiting or via one of the, I dunno, five different types of automated spider farms. Meaning that his perks lose value really fast when the player becomes more experienced or survives past the 1 or 2 seasons where silk shortage is actually an issue.

8 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Wendy straight up matches or outclasses him in every thing you mentioned, aside from the dubiously useful insulation, while offering a truckload of utility and combat perks Webber could never even dream of. Webber can farm spiders, Wendy can farm everything.

More importantly, spiders are one of the easiest mob and they can be farmed by anyone, either via traditional kiting or via one of the, I dunno, five different types of automated spider farms. Meaning that his perks lose value really fast when the player becomes more experienced or survives past the 1 or 2 seasons where silk shortage is actually an issue.

Don't forget that any one can create an civil war using spider queen hat so even in this "unique" aspect webber it's useless  so you're completely right about him. 

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

Won't say wendy being better at killing spiders is wrong but it doesn't remove from from what he already has which was my point. While his upsides aren't much to advanced players they still exist and are very much helpful.

Btw by using hordes to help you fight things rather than just spider wars webber can take down non boss threats quite fast while using spider hordes.

Edit: Accidentally tagged you lordcafe not sure how that happened srry.

While I know this is kinda bringing up a topic a I made already recently but I think if there is a change needed it's a simplification of the follower system don't get me wrong Abigail is strong but overall followers can do alot more damage in most situations than Abigail the reason I feel this overlooked is because of how annoying it is to manage groups of followers vs the auto pilot Abigail.

11 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

i feel like to make webber stronger first that ghost has to be weaken in some way how about no stunlocks from ghost? that would be 1step of makein webber stronger about spiders i soupose

9 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

i feel like to make webber stronger first that ghost has to be weaken in some way how about no stunlocks from ghost? that would be 1step of makein webber stronger about spiders i soupose

This would effectively kill Abigails intended gameplay purpose, shes supposed to shred through group mobs like a Blender.. Webber’s Gameplay was never intended to even come CLOSE to that.. 

But there is a Multitude of ways to utilize Webber’s ability to befriend & recruit spiders that will separate him farther apart from “Designated Mob Destroying Blender” 

I gave earlier examples of removing his ability to craft Bird/Grass Traps, & Blow Darts and instead put that Utility into his Spiders (for example he could recruit Cave Dwellers & Spitter Spiders to respectively serve the purposes of Grass Traps & Blow Darts)

Maybe For Example: He can recruit those Hardened Shell Spiders that when you fight in Caves they jump into their Shell and take forever to kill... 

Webbers Power comes from being able to take a casual stroll through a Spider Infestation without a care in the world- For every other character Including Wendy... Caution must be taken to travel these areas 

I fully expect a Webber rework to not only improve his abilities of recruiting Spiders: But also to introduce some new spider types and abilities into DST.. 

Otherwise: I may as well be playing as some kid in a Halloween costume with no actual ability to command and control Spiders.

I would like being able to craft the other Spider Dens as well. Fossil Fragments could be used with a Prestihatitator to make something like the Cave Spider Dens. When near a Celestial Altar, could craft Shattered Spider Dens.

Of course, I don't want Webber's rework to solely be adding changes just for base building like Wurt, but these would be nice to have additionally.

4 hours ago, 321bwa said:

I would like being able to craft the other Spider Dens as well. Fossil Fragments could be used with a Prestihatitator to make something like the Cave Spider Dens. When near a Celestial Altar, could craft Shattered Spider Dens.

Of course, I don't want Webber's rework to solely be adding changes just for base building like Wurt, but these would be nice to have additionally.

Personally I'd like to see this as well but i feel like it probaly won't be the way they go simply because believe it or not spiders unique spiders would be alot harder for players to escape vs pigs or merms making them a ideal griefing tool one idea I had as a cool compromise would be to allow webber to evolve spider dens which would make the spider den become it's area equivalent.

On 2/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, DarkPulse91 said:

It really begs the question if you want a Webber REWORK or just a Webber update (much like wigfrid)

Because in my personal experience, Webber doesn't really need a REWORK... But having some new abilities would really be fun.

I don't want to see any of webber's current things being changed or removed. I personally would rather have new additions or improvements

Agreed. I think He is ok, He just need some tweaks and tricks... 

Be allowed to be friend with spiders is OP as Hell on caves and ruins... 

2 hours ago, Articestone said:

Pretty sure he can already do that 

I meant doing it better.. like for example being able to recruit 6-8 of them and them grouping up around Webber in a Circle acting as his protective Armor.

The bottom line: You have a Character that can Befriend Spiders, And as such: His Interactions and Abilities should shine THROUGH SPIDERS & Not through having the same craftables as every other character.

Its like Wendy: Her Abilities shine through proper care & Management of her Sister, and to do that she needs to have proper timing and summon/recall & to engage in her own unique gameplay mechanics of communing with & helping Pipspook find lost stuffs to earn mourning glory currency for crafting Ectoherbology potions.

Webber is not a bad character to play solo, he covers the basic needs of food, sleeping and healing salves almost instantly, but he never progresses beyond that.  And for a team he really doesn’t have much to offer, unless nobody else handles the spiders and/or the Wendys of the team are really bad at the game still.

Webber has fallen behind with his perks by a lot compared to any other character, specially the reworked ones. I mean what is his role now?

- Want to farm spiders? Get Wendy, or just plant 5 bunny hutches in any corner of your base and collect spider loot passively every day, forever.

- Want to be a powerful army commander? Get Wurt. Spiders don’t really work very well beyond hound waves or killing treeguards. Wurt on the other hand grows to be able to kill bosses effortlessly, to clear the ruins like if it was a trip to the supermarket, and to collect resources doing a very solid Maxwell cosplay.

- Want to play a powerful monster-like creature? Play Wortox. I don’t even have to explain why, if anyone has ever played Wortox should know, and if they haven’t, I strongly suggest they do.

So.. what’s Webber’s thing exactly? Why should I pick him, other than because I just like the character? Even Wilson and Wes have a purpose: Wilson being the character you learn the game as, up until you learn how to find the base without asking, and Wes being the character you use to torture yourself just to brag that the game is too easy for you.

I think Webber should be next, honestly I see no reason why any other character would be before him/them at this point.

Now the thing is what will they aim with his character: Is he going to be a blend of an army manager and a superhuman monster? Is he going to craft new tools and structures with spider stuff for everyone to use? Is he going to introduce new mechanics to the game, like poison? Is he going to be a pet simulator character, where they reward you for raising and taking care of your selected spider pets? I think that’s probably the ideas we should brainstorm a bit more upon.

TL;DR: let’s focus a bit more on how to make him really unique , fun to stay as, and important on a team, without just tossing new useless perks like riding spider queens.

Archived