Honeycombs

You can only get them from two ways, either destroying regular/killer beehives or hammering the giant beehive and killing bee queen. Ever since the additional use of waxing giant veggies I've been wondering if we should have an additional way of getting honeycombs since those two ways don't feel like enough. Either get lucky and have a decent amount of hives in your world or kill a raid boss once every 20 days. Wondering what you guys think, are the ways we have right now enough or should there be another way to get them?

I really hope that bees get an overhaul like crops did, as it is now they're just berry bushes that give better food and take a bit longer to set up, you just build them and later you go up to them and pick them for honey and then leave. It'd be nice if you had to put more effort into beekeeping, maybe you could need to take care of the hives and their little queens, properly smoke out the bees before picking the honey, etc. Then honeycombs, wax, and maybe even royal jelly could be byproducts of the process, so that people don't just see it as more difficult for the same old honey.

Personally, I think the current form of world generation works fine for shorter worlds. Even going a few years into the game, I don't see myself having any issues with honeycombs by the time I'm done playing.

On longer endless worlds, though, it's a different matter...

Whether you have a killer bee biome or not heavily impacts how many bundling wraps and bee boxes you can amass late game. Honey is excellent food and crockpot filler, and bundling wraps are great for preserving extra food. I find both valuable but don't usually end up getting as many as I would like without a killer bee biome.

And about waxing oversized veggies... I don't see myself ever doing it for decorating (as much as I like doing so) just because of how expensive that is long-term. Beeboxes and building wraps are both non-permanent investments - you can get the honeycomb back to use for something else by hammering or deconstructing them. Waxed giant vegetables, which serve a purely decorative purpose, completely consume the honeycombs.

Personally, I think a simple solution to the honeycomb issue late-game is to have natural beehives respawn after being destroyed, similar to stuff like light flowers, rabbit holes, planted carrots, etc...

39 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Personally, I think a simple solution to the honeycomb issue late-game is to have natural beehives respawn after being destroyed, similar to stuff like light flowers, rabbit holes, planted carrots, etc...

I don't know how that didn't cross my mind, the only idea I had was having bees have like a 1% chance to drop a honeycomb on death.

For survival the what we have is more than okay since honey is too powerful as food but, without a bee or killer beebiome, is hard to use bees related stuff as decoration and less when your world has the chance of having only few beehives

My recent world only had like 12, i tried of let some of them because they look nice but triple moose goose destroyed every hive

I thing some stuff should be added to regrowth like hives and berrybushes but with sooo slow reproduction speed. If a player or group of players is able to reach many days survived, there is nothing unbalanced on having more of these things 

I dont care using green staffs or farming bee queen to do decorations but nonrenewable stuff getting destroyed without anyway of regenerating makes me sad

1 minute ago, thegreatJash said:

Should be a guaranteed biome. Didn't know this.

i though the game creates a bee biome atleast but in my lasted world i have a very little bee biome, maybe because is mixed with the 3 moose goose set piece, with just few hives and there is only 2 left because of goose

I think it's in a good place right now. Early game should have plenty unless world gen was unkind. Late game should just be a matter of killing Klaus and Beequeen a lot over time. By that point a player could definitely build a more automated Beequeen killing set up too. I have a ton of honeycombs I've been needing to use and decorations have historically been a major use of high value items in the end game. 

don't forget you have 1% chance to get it from hammering queen bee. Another fun thing Woodies werebeaver deals much less damage to bee hive which allows you to bite it much more times before you summon the queen This is another way to grind honeycombs

1 hour ago, landromat said:

don't forget you have 1% chance to get it from hammering queen bee. Another fun thing Woodies werebeaver deals much less damage to bee hive which allows you to bite it much more times before you summon the queen This is another way to grind honeycombs

around how many hits does he get in with a "full" Gigantic Beehive?

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(...)

Just like i said in other thread: I believe bosses should be more unique. This idea of yours would be great for Bee Queen spawn. Like, we must let her honeycomb grow big enough. Most games you gotta do a little "quizz" to face the boss, and it'd be fun. Anyways...

If only there was a way to "make" the bees build a new hive using some tool...

So far I had no issues with lack of Wax. But maybe that's just my RNG, because every single map I start has more bees than trees.

16 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I really hope that bees get an overhaul like crops did, as it is now they're just berry bushes that give better food and take a bit longer to set up, you just build them and later you go up to them and pick them for honey and then leave. It'd be nice if you had to put more effort into beekeeping, maybe you could need to take care of the hives and their little queens, properly smoke out the bees before picking the honey, etc. Then honeycombs, wax, and maybe even royal jelly could be byproducts of the process, so that people don't just see it as more difficult for the same old honey.

Just wanna add on. Maybe you could get different kinds of honey depending on the flowers bees have pollinated? There aren't really too many flowers in the game as of now but maybe you could get some sort of monster honey from evil flowers, maybe bees could even pollinate cacti in the summer when they're blooming with flowers and make a special kind of honey from that and maybe even more. Just throwing out ideas.

Archived