I think Warly's salt seasoning is too weak

Considering how hard it is to get salt rock

You have to sail to it, mine it fighting cookie cutters and waste a lot of time collecting it to get at least 1 stack for some minor health buff for food? It's just not worth it in my opinion. It just feels like waste of salt

The thing about seasoning salt is that once you've built all the salt boxes you wanted, there is no further use for salt.
So as a bonus if you decide to keep harvesting it, Warly can create some of the strongest healing items in the game (+75 HP restored with potent healing foods like surfnturf). That's half HP for most characters, full HP for Maxwell. It's quite a bunch.

I think the problem about this is that it takes 3 salt crystals just to make 2 salted foods, which considering how annoying it is to get salt it seems a bit too much and it becomes too troublesome, when you can just make another healing food for much less effort instead.

I'd probably lower the costs so you use just 2 salt pieces, for 2 seasoning salts (1-1 rate), or I'd evaluate the possibility to get 2 seasoning salts out of just one salt crystal.

1 minute ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

Would a simple stat increase, like even more health, be the solution here, or do you guys think that a more creative effect is probably what the salt needs?

Salt is quite hard to obtain right now. Maybe if you'd make like 5 from 1 salt rock it could be better

9 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The thing about seasoning salt is that once you've built all the salt boxes you wanted, there is no further use for salt.

Salt can be applied to stacks of items to reverse spoiling.

9 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I'd probably lower the costs so you use just 2 salt pieces, for 2 seasoning salts (1-1 rate), or I'd evaluate the possibility to get 2 seasoning salts out of just one salt crystal.

I think this is the most realistic solution. The bonus health is a nice effect but the current rate of obtaining it is very low. Especially considering the fact that unlike his other spices which last several minutes, this is an instantaneous and rather small effect. You might only need to eat one spiced dish per fight but depending on how much you get hit you could be eating many salted ones.

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Salt can be applied to stacks of items to reverse spoiling.

Nice! I didn't know this.

7 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

I don't play Warly, because the food memory scares me, but would a spice that didn't activate his food memory (for boss fights perhaps) be useful? 

This sounds like a cool Warly-only bonus for salt, I like the idea that salted foods bypass his food memory con.

15 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I forgot to mention it can be used to make collected dust and make some thulecite out of it. But it's just so slow and troublesome I think it's not really that useful. 
If anyone uses this as a valid strategy frequently please go ahead and let me know.

38 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

Would a simple stat increase, like even more health, be the solution here, or do you guys think that a more creative effect is probably what the salt needs?

A less crappy boat is all that's needed.

I personally use the strident trident and orange amulet to farm salt, and I've found it easy to get large amounts of it alone relatively quickly.

But I would never craft seasoning salt with it.

First off, it's expensive for its effect. In the best case scenario (excluding mandrake soup for obvious reasons), each seasoning adds up to 15 health. That's 10 health per crystal.

And even if it was more, there's already tons of healing options in the game. I don't see Warly could need so much healing - even if non-food healing is excluded - that he would add salt to them. Making a few Surf 'n' Turfs and Pierogies should be enough for any boss fight. You can ignore the first couple penalties of repeating a dish because they're small, so I usually take a couple of pierogies and/or moquecas to any boss fight and don't usually end up using them all.

I would personally advocate for giving seasoning salt a brand new effect. I think Klei would do the best job of figuring out what kind, but my personal suggestion would be to have it restore some (or all) freshness when applied and significantly slow the rest of the spoilage time for the food. I think an effect like that would be more useful than its current one (not that the old effect needs to be removed) and would give the seasoning a good niche. 

Not really sure about the integrity of my idea but here goes anyway:

Why not, instead of increasing the base health of a dish, seasoning salt adds a flat +5 days to maximum spoilage time fresh or not (think of how a sewing kit works but with the ability to add extra durability).

25 minutes ago, Yuma Arcl said:

Actually, I'm happy salt is not that good. So I don't have to go around gathering some, since ocean content is bad.

What.... even is that take?...

You're glad salt isnt that good, because ocean content is bad. But like, salt is a part of that ocean content? Why would you not want salt to be good, so that ocean content overall is better???

But anyways, main discussion, as Electroely said I think I'd rather see a new use for Warlys salt spice rather than buffing the ability it has now. Not sure what I'd like to see but compared to other spices just more healing is a bit underwhelming.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

What.... even is that take?...

If ocean content gets better, it'll give us reason to go around sailing for days. This way, we'll gather salt by 'osmosis', just like we gather carrots and fruit when exploring the map. What I mean is, if salt was OP, i'd want to gather a lot to have spices to spare, but that means i'd have to sail around looking for some, and it's boring becauseI don't want to waste time and resources JUST for salt. If there were better things to do on the ocean, it'd be worth it. Get what i mean?

It's just my opinion on my gameplay

7 minutes ago, Yuma Arcl said:

It's just my opinion on my gameplay

Then if Salt was the only piece of content to be better in the near future. Just, dont go sailing for it if you dont enjoy ocean content in general? No ones forcing you to go out to the ocean, you don't have to go out there.

I'd like to see lots more content in general for the ocean and I'd love to see more uses for salt, but to deny salt more uses as of now just because there isn't more ocean content yet, Really?

9 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Not really sure about the integrity of my idea but here goes anyway:

Why not, instead of increasing the base health of a dish, seasoning salt adds a flat +5 days to maximum spoilage time fresh or not (think of how a sewing kit works but with the ability to add extra durability).

Thought the same thing, though maybe more like Gorge mechanics (restores about 50% of missing freshness). If it was an actual salt shaker you can carry around, I'd take that with me on my ruins clear.  

It wouldn't be OP by any means, either. It still wouldn't be as efficient as bundling wrap, but it would be a nice QoL boost for those of us who hate having to stop whatever we're doing to unbundle/rebundle some food.

Just now, Hornete said:

Lol what? You're making such a big deal of what i said, and in the wrong way. Even tho english is not my first language, i'm sure my comment's intention/meaning was very clear: enjoyment. 

If salt becomes one of the best parts of Warly's kit, then i'd have to gather some if I'm playing as him - if i want to use its buff. But I'm happy it's not, since I don't enjoy the ocean content / sailing. I didn't mean they shouldn't or should buff Warly's salt, nor that "Klei will make me play the ocean content, plz help".  No, no, no.. you got that wrong.

Also, feedback is a thing. Even tho it's not what i meant, it is valid to say "to buff salt they should change the ocean content as well". 

44 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

If it was an actual salt shaker you can carry around, I'd take that with me on my ruins clear. 

this sounds interesting! i always thought it was weird that salt is considered a "spice". could be interesting if a salt shaker was a  starting item that he can refill with salt crystals, would help with preserving dishes in the early game/support his nomadic playstyle with portable crockpot.

But then again he does already have acces to his Chef Pouch for food preserving... 

I think salt spice was just added as a little bonus with the introduction of salt as a resource, his 3 other spices are powerful enough i think to make up for it. I also think its current function will get better when theres more to do on the ocean and thus more opportunity to gather salt. 

If anything it could be nice if salt spice carried over the 50% refresh of food to crockpot dishes, since raw salt crystals can only do that for uncooked food. 

----

On a slightly different note i think it could be very nice if the rocky biome got a few salt ponds like we had in the gorge. It would be a much slower/less productive source of salt but u wouldnt have to go sailing AND it would liven up the rocky biome and possibly some biomes in the caves too. 

I think salt needs more uses, and easier accessibility, rather than salts effects being buffed. -Scrimbles

+1

Archived