I want my applied horticulture back.

7 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

This is just a complaint from a veteran Wiker main with 6k hours.

I've noticed this pattern of speaking for a while now; I really don't think you should use yourself to make your case since who you are is irrelevant to the point you're making. 

7 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Those are just some fun book usage exsamples. It was not op, it was simply convenient. 

I disagree; I thought it was very much op for a Wicker to single-handedly feed a full server with zero help and minimal effort setting up a basic berry farm. 

7 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Horticulture abridged is completly useless. Not only does it costs 5 times as mutch, it also barely does anything.

It's definitely lost a lot of utility, but I wouldn't say it's completely useless. It's a minorly helpful tool for kickstarting your giant-crop farm (especially if you're paired with wormwood), and if you're someone who uses farm plots as pseudo-ice boxes to conserve gears like I do, it can be used to grow re-sprouting crops on demand. Also, it definitely doesn't cost 5x as much; the most expensive ingredient, papyrus, is still at 2. 

I'm not going to act like I'm a pro or anything because I'm fairly new, but I main Wickerbottom and the amount of crop you could get from Applied Horticulture was insane from something that took little effort and consequence. It made her way too game-changing. I don't think the nerf was that bad either.

As for the new farming system, I don't think it's bad either. It's kinda complex but I don't think that's a bad thing. I've had minimal practice with it and I'm already growing giant crops. We literally have too many potatoes to eat with a Wolfgang on the server and it's barely winter. 

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Yeah for some reason there's a big focus in the DST community on hours played and/or days survived, and I've never quite understood either. I've had friends with more hours than me still be at a very basic, never-far-past-winter level of survival, and I've had a friend with only ~200 hours speed through the game and experience all of its major content at the time. Having high hours means nothing except that you like the game a lot.

“It’s not how many days you live, it’s what you with those days spent living that matters.”

In other words we don’t care how many hours you played or how many days you lived, because as far as we know you might’ve just sat at base living off your spider meat and lureplant berry farms and now you’re sad you can’t live off meatballs infinitely. However, most of the community likes the new books so if you really want them back just mod them it like just like the people you accuse of modding in the reed trap.

44 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

I've noticed this pattern of speaking for a while now; I really don't think you should use yourself to make your case since who you are is irrelevant to the point you're making. 

I disagree; I thought it was very much op for a Wicker to single-handedly feed a full server with zero help and minimal effort setting up a basic berry farm. 

It's definitely lost a lot of utility, but I wouldn't say it's completely useless. It's a minorly helpful tool for kickstarting your giant-crop farm (especially if you're paired with wormwood), and if you're someone who uses farm plots as pseudo-ice boxes to conserve gears like I do, it can be used to grow re-sprouting crops on demand. Also, it definitely doesn't cost 5x as much; the most expensive ingredient, papyrus, is still at 2. 

You are reasonable. I'll chat with you. 

1. That is true, but dst community always fail to recognize what is right and what is completely incorrect. Just look at all these people arguing with me. "it's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person". Not to offend anyone, but this quote goes really well to describe this community, since noobs always fail to recognize that they are indeed noobs. And they never recognize an actual pro. 

I wanted to distinguish myself to klei (I'm new to forums, they read those posts, right?) So that they wouldn't disregard me. Not that I have much faith in them. 

2. Berry bushes will grow back on their own in 2 days. That's good enough to feed the whole server. Food isn't an issue in the first place, so why even bother. 

3. It did not lost a lot of utility, that would be the living logs one. 

This book became useless. I was a bit harsh on it and skipped the fact that it has a single minor questionable usage that is starting off your mega farms. My bad, not a complete trash, can still be used for a really bad food source once and never again. 

19 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

1. That is true, but dst community always fail to recognize what is right and what is completely incorrect. Just look at all these people arguing with me. "it's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person". Not to offend anyone, but this quote goes really well to describe this community, since noobs always fail to recognize that they are indeed noobs. And they never recognize an actual pro. 

I wanted to distinguish myself to klei (I'm new to forums, they read those posts, right?) So that they wouldn't disregard me. Not that I have much faith in them. 

2. Berry bushes will grow back on their own in 2 days. That's good enough to feed the whole server. Food isn't an issue in the first place, so why even bother. 

This book became useless. I was a bit harsh on it and skipped the fact that it has a single minor questionable usage that is starting off your mega farms. My bad, not a complete trash, can still be used for a really bad food source once and never again. 

Hmmm, people don't agree with me. What should I do?

A.) Engage their arguments in healthy debate

B.) Ignore them

or

C.) Imply that they are stupid in a post that reeks of ego

31 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

https://badbooksgoodtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/self-awareness-gif.gif

9 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

How many hours do you have in dst? I want to know before reading your reply since it's quite long and I am not amused. 

I am not replying to this thread after this, but I just have to say a few things.

First, I have thousands of hours between DS and DST, though I don't care to look how much right now, because in reality it doesn't matter.

Secondly, don't reply to someone's post with "it's long and I'm unhappy and will only listen to you if you have an arbitrary amount of hours"

Third and following that last one, stop being so rude. These forums are for discussion, not insult-throwing. If you wanted the developers attention you may just get it in the form of the locking of this thread because it has gotten out of control.

Fourth, please act like an adult.

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

it's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person". Not to offend anyone, but this quote goes really well to describe this community

“No offense”, you say. You’re not winning any favors by acting like you’re some supreme entity and we’re all stupid. And like silverbisexual said, this place is for discussion, not insult throwing.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

I have nothing of value to add to this post i just would like to say this thread gave me the laugh I needed today.

:wickerbottomthanks:

That little thank you Wickerbottom always gives me the laugh I need. It looks so silly.

21 minutes ago, Grim the said:

“No offense” you’re not winning any favors by acting like you’re some supreme entity and we’re all stupid. And like silverbisexual said, this place is for discussion, not insult throwing.

Not stupid, just mediocre players who can't recognize more experienced one. 

10 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

This is just a complaint from a veteran Wiker main with 6k hours. 

I don't think playtime is a good measurement of anything, but just for the sake of argument...
image.png.feabc4dafc91287d8df345c9d418f5c7.png

Let me get this out of the way - farms are bad. They always were bad, and they will always be bad.

If people find it amusing to sit at a base all day and grow mega veggies I'm fine with that. But don't make balance tweaks focusing on your new useless mechanics that are good only for questionable fun. 

I don't think the farms are bad. I think they're quite the opposite - a really good food source, good enough to compete with sources that have been in the game for years. Just planting seeds in-season and talking to them once, watering them as seeds or equipping a one man band for a second for them makes them give you 1 crop + 1 seed. I've tried this in many scenarios and I always end up with more food than I can eat - I'm fully convinced potatoes are the singular best food source for Wolfgang since this update. 40 hunger, 20 health, very easy to produce. With just 24 seeds I was getting more potatoes than I could eat, and I was staying in mighty form all the time with no hunger drain reducing items.

Wikerbottom is my favourite character for her flexibility. Applied horticulture was merely a convenience tool. Instead of waiting for grass someone harvested to grow, you could give berries to a pig and use his manure to instantly get yourself some grass. Instead of running around through a whole swamp, you could just find a dense reeds spot and regrow them till you had enough. Instead of waiting for trees to grow on their own, you could make them big right away. Instead of harvesting lichen or light bulbs yourself, you could plant a lureplant bulb and do it automatically. Those are just some fun book usage exsamples. It was not op, it was simply convenient. 

Horticulture abridged is completly useless. Not only does it costs 5 times as mutch, it also barely does anything. Supposedly nerfs op berry bushes, but they are still a lot better than farms, and a lot worse than other food sources. Just like before.

Aplied silveculture is too expensive to feel satisfying. Essentially you are wasting rare magic item to skip waiting, but at this point you should probably just wait for grass to grow on it's own. Supposedly nerfs lureplant grass farms, but you never needed books for those

I don't think you can say that applied horticulture was "not op, just convenient." Resource management is part of the game, and Wickerbottom could easily solve it from day 1 with the book. I also don't think Horticulture, Abridged is useless. It's a very good book early-game for expanding the new farms very quickly (which, like I said, require almost no maintenance for good profit). If anything, I think the number of plants it grows should depend on the plants it's growing so it grows more berry bushes, less juicy berry bushes, etc. But I think it's a great book as-is.

I also don't know how living logs are "rare magic items." If you've played the game as much as you did, you should've gotten your fair share of annoying encounters with Treeguards late-game, whether chopping trees yourself or taking Bearger on a joyride. And if you're really that unlucky with Treeguards, you could use the Celestial Portal to switch to Woodie to get higher spawn rates or Wormwood to craft them yourself. They're not as easily available early-game (though you can still get quite a few from Totally Normal Trees), which I think is a good way to balance it. Considering how good it is at quickly gathering large amounts of resources in a short time, I think it's more fit for it to be more readily available late-game, when you've proven you can survive everything the game throws at you.

I bet people who claimed wiker to be OP always used a set piece mod for a 100% reeds trap. And the excuse was that it's simply faster than doing world regens till you get one.

In other words: "I won't ever play wikerbottom unless there is a rare set piece in my world".

But what about us, honest players? Should we just waste living logs for our reeds needs, wondering why are we still playing wiker, if the main reason was the accessibility of our books? And now that farming reeds is no longer self sustaining, all of Wikerbottom's books (which were questionable in the first place) took a beating. 

If a mod just does something a one-time random roll does, then what difference does it make? You can, in fact, just regenerate the world over and over until you get it. I don't see how this makes a difference in whether the new books are bad or not. And how is farming reeds not self-sustaining? You can just go around the swamp whenever they regrow to pick them. They don't require fertilizer or anything, and there should be enough to get at least several books. The only book I think isn't worth crafting is The End is Nigh. All the others have very good uses.

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Not to offend anyone, but this quote goes really well to describe this community, since noobs always fail to recognize that they are indeed noobs. And they never recognize an actual pro. 

Word of advice: Let others be the one to sing you praises, don't take care of that yourself.  Claiming you're X thing or Y thing and trying to set yourself apart from "the rest" will just get people to make fun of you.

As a general rule of thumb,  the masters at pretty much anything tend to be the humblest, or at least they get to be considered the best because the humbler you are, the easier it'll be for people to get close and acknowledge you

12 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Not stupid, just mediocre players who can't recognize more experienced one. 

As a closer example, calling people who disagree with you "mediocre" while praising yourself as a more experienced player projects you as insecure

So now that Wickerbottom is not the best at effortlessly farming resources, she is literally unplayable and Klei has ruined the game. Fortunately, there is a selection of other characters that a professional player such as yourself can make use of, instead of coming here to whine and calling people idiots for not agreeing with your rant.

Usually I'm annoyed by video game tryhards that flip out the moment they encounter the slightest inconvenience, but thanks to you I'll never again have to set sail for salt crystals as the salt from this post will be enough for the next 1000 days.

3 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

Claiming you're X thing or Y thing and trying to set yourself apart from "the rest" will just get people to make fun of you.

they're not like the other fans... they're experienced. Now listen to them and get THEIR a.h. back now

18 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

Word of advice: Let others be the one to sing you praises, don't take care of that yourself.  Claiming you're X thing or Y thing and trying to set yourself apart from "the rest" will just get people to make fun of you.

As a general rule of thumb,  the masters at pretty much anything tend to be the humblest, or at least they get to be considered the best because the humbler you are, the easier it'll be for people to get close and acknowledge you

As a closer example, calling people who disagree with you "mediocre" while praising yourself as a more experienced player projects you as insecure

I'll let you know when I'll need validation from forum dwellers. 

Archived