I want my applied horticulture back.

This is just a complaint from a veteran Wiker main with 6k hours. 

Resent nerf to Wikerbottom was completely uncalled for, and the follow up book split didn't fixed the issue. 

Let me get this out of the way - farms are bad. They always were bad, and they will always be bad.

If people find it amusing to sit at a base all day and grow mega veggies I'm fine with that. But don't make balance tweaks focusing on your new useless mechanics that are good only for questionable fun. 

And what a nerf it is! The new book kills mega plants and makes farmers mad. What's the nerf for then? To make other food sources worse? Well, ask any decent player and they will tell you that food is never an issue in dst, withbook or without book. 

Wikerbottom is my favourite character for her flexibility. Applied horticulture was merely a convenience tool. Instead of waiting for grass someone harvested to grow, you could give berries to a pig and use his manure to instantly get yourself some grass. Instead of running around through a whole swamp, you could just find a dense reeds spot and regrow them till you had enough. Instead of waiting for trees to grow on their own, you could make them big right away. Instead of harvesting lichen or light bulbs yourself, you could plant a lureplant bulb and do it automatically. Those are just some fun book usage exsamples. It was not op, it was simply convenient. 

Horticulture abridged is completly useless. Not only does it costs 5 times as mutch, it also barely does anything. Supposedly nerfs op berry bushes, but they are still a lot better than farms, and a lot worse than other food sources. Just like before.

Aplied silveculture is too expensive to feel satisfying. Essentially you are wasting rare magic item to skip waiting, but at this point you should probably just wait for grass to grow on it's own. Supposedly nerfs lureplant grass farms, but you never needed books for those as shown here: 

I bet people who claimed wiker to be OP always used a set piece mod for a 100% reeds trap. And the excuse was that it's simply faster than doing world regens till you get one.

In other words: "I won't ever play wikerbottom unless there is a rare set piece in my world".

But what about us, honest players? Should we just waste living logs for our reeds needs, wondering why are we still playing wiker, if the main reason was the accessibility of our books? And now that farming reeds is no longer self sustaining, all of Wikerbottom's books (which were questionable in the first place) took a beating. 

So anyways, klei, if you are reading this, give me back my book please, and just make it work like panflute on farms. 

1 minute ago, Gi-Go said:

I bet people who claimed wiker to be OP always used a set piece mod for a 100% reeds trap. And the excuse was that it's simply faster than doing world regens till you get one.

In other words: "I won't ever play wikerbottom unless there is a rare set piece in my world".

But what about us, honest players?

Why did you make up a whole nightmare scenario of "everyone who wanted a Wickerbottom nerf was cheating?" This is so specific and feels like an attempt to deflect any criticism of the character.

43 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Why did you make up a whole nightmare scenario of "everyone who wanted a Wickerbottom nerf was cheating?" This is so specific and feels like an attempt to deflect any criticism of 

Oh my bad, only some of them were. The rest never even played wiker. 

Anyways, the impression comes from videos like this (skip to 7:50)

I don't think you quite grasp how good farming is. If you plant like 36 of the same crop and literally tend to them once you get a return on investment in the form of a seed and a vegetable/fruit. No watering, or worry about nutrients. That is NOT bad. I spend very little time farming and yet I have literally too much food to eat, even as Wolfgang, fighting multiple bosses every season and using said veggies as a healing/food source, and being mighty almost all the time. Even still, I have food rot. To say that farming is bad with the current update shows you don't have enough experience with it.

As someone who was a Wickerbottom main for thousands of in-game days, I just do not think the nerf is that bad. Applied Silviculture needing a living log being an issue? I tend to have too many living logs even with constant dark sword use because of using Bearger on forests to farm logs and spawn treeguards leading to living log surplus. It can be an issue early on, but mid-late game that vanishes. Also, Wickerbottom was pretty overpowered. I remember reading the books for teams of players a few days before winter and spamming that book for all the grass/twigs/berries was ridiculously overpowered. Having a Wickerbottom on your server vs not was way to game-changing early on. Now she is just more balanced. You need to get more resources in order to craft the books, which is far more fair. Also, one Horticulture Abriged book, can still instantly yield either, 30 stone fruits (20 will be ripe stone fruit), 30 juicy berries, or 10 regular berries, or instant farm crops with one use. Food is easier than even to get through farming and this book just helps with the process.

10 minutes ago, SilverBisexual said:

I don't think you quite grasp how good farming is. If you plant like 36 of the same crop and literally tend to them once you get a return on investment in the form of a seed and a vegetable/fruit. No watering, or worry about nutrients. That is NOT bad. I spend very little time farming and yet I have literally too much food to eat, even as Wolfgang, fighting multiple bosses every season and using said veggies as a healing/food source, and being mighty almost all the time. Even still, I have food rot. To say that farming is bad with the current update shows you don't have enough experience with it.

As someone who was a Wickerbottom main for thousands of in-game days, I just do not think the nerf is that bad. Applied Silviculture needing a living log being an issue? I tend to have too many living logs even with constant dark sword use because of using Bearger on forests to farm logs and spawn treeguards leading to living log surplus. It can be an issue early on, but mid-late game that vanishes. Also, Wickerbottom was pretty overpowered. I remember reading the books for teams of players a few days before winter and spamming that book for all the grass/twigs/berries was ridiculously overpowered. Having a Wickerbottom on your server vs not was way to game-changing early on. Now she is just more balanced. You need to get more resources in order to craft the books, which is far more fair. Also, one Horticulture Abriged book, can still instantly yield either, 30 stone fruits (20 will be ripe stone fruit), 30 juicy berries, or 10 regular berries, or instant farm crops with one use. Food is easier than even to get through farming and this book just helps with the process.

How many hours do you have in dst? I want to know before reading your reply since it's quite long and I am not amused. 

38 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

How many hours do you have in dst? I want to know before reading your reply since it's quite long and I am not amused. 

i have 8k hours in, and new farming is worth it in many cases. Now come back with a reply after you play 2k more hours

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

Hours are a worthless measurement, especially on a game like DST where you can just coast along not really learning anything and just playing it for a social experience.

well, disregarding the Ops replies to everyone else with valid opinions, Wickerbottom has NOT been Reworked yet. And so my question to the Op is how do you know these book Nerfs are not Warranted due to whatever new abilities Klei will be giving her when her official rework happens? As someone with TONS of play time invested in Wicker, I will reserve my judgement of so called “Book Nerfs” until I see the final result of her actual Rework.

Oh and one more thing: As a console player Without access to Mods and only being able to play the game with a Preset world size & can not in any possible way “cheat” as you put it: I Still felt like Wickers Books were Overpowered.

Thank You & have a nice rest of your day! :wickerbottomthanks::wilson_love:

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Hours are a worthless measurement, especially on a game like DST where you can just coast along not really learning anything and just playing it for a social experience.

Yeah for some reason there's a big focus in the DST community on hours played and/or days survived, and I've never quite understood either. I've had friends with more hours than me still be at a very basic, never-far-past-winter level of survival, and I've had a friend with only ~200 hours speed through the game and experience all of its major content at the time. Having high hours means nothing except that you like the game a lot.

26 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Yeah for some reason there's a big focus in the DST community on hours played and/or days survived, and I've never quite understood either. I've had friends with more hours than me still be at a very basic, never-far-past-winter level of survival, and I've had a friend with only ~200 hours speed through the game and experience all of its major content at the time. Having high hours means nothing except that you like the game a lot.

And with things like rollback days survived means even less

7 minutes ago, gaymime said:

not even just wormwood x''D treeguards are plentiful

yea, plus if you have 6000 hours, you most probably been through Hallowed Nights, and got a Mad Science Lab to make your own Totally Normal Trees for a nice passive investment of Livin Logs

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:
4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

well, disregarding the Ops replies to everyone else with valid opinions, Wickerbottom has NOT been Reworked yet. And so my question to the Op is how do you know these book Nerfs are not Warranted due to whatever new abilities Klei will be giving her when her official rework happens? As someone with TONS of play time invested in Wicker, I will reserve my judgement of so called “Book Nerfs” until I see the final result of her actual Rework.

Oh and one more thing: As a console player Without access to Mods and only being able to play the game with a Preset world size & can not in any possible way “cheat” as you put it: I Still felt like Wickers Books were Overpowered.

Thank You & have a nice rest of your day! :wickerbottomthanks::wilson_love:

If you haven't noticed yet, klei have absolutely no idea what they are doing. My Hope's for wiker rework is that they simply won't make it. 

When farming for giant crops it's honestly too easy to make so much food that it ends up rotting. Smh, some people really just hate change, and the idea that creating deeper and more meaningful mechanics means that they may have to actually invest thought in to them to get a good reward

Archived