Is ONI worth getting coming from DS & DST?

I'm sure this is a very common question.

The game seems rather intriguing, and its made by Klei. Plus it's on sale right now for $12. But I would be coming over from Don't starve. I've done a bit of research online and read reviews, it seems challenging just like DS. I've read it can be a bit more complicated and understanding certain mechanics will somewhat necessary. Mostly I'm asking for input from people that have played those titles and this game.

I love the challenge of Don't starve but the game tends to be a bit of a sandbox more then a survival the better you get. Which is fun, but I love being constantly challenged. One of the main reasons I enjoy the souls games and hardcore survivalists' games. So will this provide long term challenge or is it sort of like DS in that regard, when over time it becomes a bit more like a sandbox?

I played both, but ONI much more. DS was too challenging for me. I did not know that it will become a sandbox game if I would have become better, what I would have liked ;) No, ONI will become a sandbox game later, too. In the beginning it is challenging. Depends on the difficulty settings, of course. For me it was never really a survival game, but a thinking and planning strategy building game. But I play on easy difficulties...

3 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano said:

hardcore survivalists' games.

In my opinion Don’t Stave and Oxygen Not Included are completely different games. DS is an survival/crafting game, where ONI is a base building/colony simulation game.

There are sometimes players commenting the ONI has no threats or creatures to battle, and that it’s difficult to control duplicant movement. That’s because it isn’t that kind of game.

It’s like comparing Minecraft to SimCity. You build and survive in both, but gameplay is very different. I have played both ONI and DS, and they are both good for their own genres.

I enjoyed ONI much more than DS & DST, maybe because I'm more into strategy and planning genre than role playing. I found DST is a hell lot of fun when you're playing with friends. But if you like single, planning game then ONI is well worth of money, especially when it's on sale.

Imagine playing DST and trying to keep a group of newbies alive. This is how the game can feel at the beginning. After you stabilize the game can go on it`s own for a while, especially when you get a lategame fully sustinable base. But the fun is in getting there and designing your base systems, automation and waste management so it all doesn`t get out of control and you don`t run out of resources in the process.

Also i`d advise you to try the base game first. The dlc isn`t fully done yet and in it`s curent shape it removes some parts of the base game.

I love both games, but I feel like ONI has more longevity and is more satisfying (and I has also played a lot of DS and DST before getting ONI). The answer to your question is an easy "yes". Actually, you should stop reading around, get it right now, and then just start playing. Just like with DS, first play it; only then (optionally) start looking at what other people do.

$12 is the cost of a movie theatre visit, or a more or less eatable meal. This game will give you so much more for your buck, it is even ridiculous.

As with everyone else, I love this game.

It is completely different from DS in that you aren't in control really.  You can encourage your dupes to build something, but you can't tell them to build it.  Even then, if they do build it, they may build it out of order or trap themselves or 5 other people in a block while doing it, which is pretty much doesn't happen in DS.  In DS there are a lot of ways to die, but in ONI, most of them are your own fault.

That said, it does have a lot of DS parts to it.  I personally have played since the beginning, and have died plenty of times.  In DS, I never understood why I was dying at night, but eventually I figured out it was Charlie and learned to avoid it.  Same with ONI, died due to lack of oxygen, so I made more oxygen next time (though you'd think with the name that'd be a given). 

It is fairly easy to set up a self-sustaining base and never need to fret about losing your colony ever again, though you will probably lose a few colonies before you get to that part if you don't use a guide or watch someone else play it first.  Personally, I love that about both games.  So many things nowadays hold your hand and gentle guide you through the game, both DS and ONI throw you in with some vague hints and say "figure it out or die".  I floundered so many times and now it's down to muscle memory basically.  Granted, not everyone likes that style of learning, but there are also plenty of people who've made tutorials and such to help new players ease into the game easier.

At their core they are very different games, but for $12, I'd say give it a try if it looks interesting to you.  Or, at least, go watch someone play the first few cycles and see it you like how the game looks.  That's what I did way back then, paid full price for an Early Access game, and now I have 2000+ hours in it.

18 hours ago, Gurgel said:

The main goal in ONI is to automate everything eventually. 

My main goal is to build crazy contraptions. There are so many different ways to play this game.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:28 PM, Ahsoka Tano said:

Mostly I'm asking for input from people that have played those titles and this game.

My DST time in game is over 1000 hours. My ONI time in game is over 2000 hours. My ONI forum time is .....

Is ONI worth getting coming from DS & DST?

Yes

I have never played any other Klei game,

but I can say that ONi is on my long term playlist since a few years...My list of long term played games ( at least 500 hours playtime and spanning several years of repeated intense play ) is:

EvE Online, World of Warship, Crossout, Factorio and ONi :rolleyes:

If the new MSflightsim2020 game is still dev updated over the next few years then I will add MSflightsim2020 to my above list.

Titles which I would like to mention for nostalgic memories are Diablo1&2, Doom, Quake, RTCW-EnemyTerritory, CoH1&2,BF1942,BFvietnam(choppers!),GTA1,Carmageddon1&2,Lemmings,Civilization, RailroadTycoon1-3,WingCommander1-3, Ultima5, Pirates, ManiacMansion, ZakMcCracken, GianaSisters, BubbleBobble, AlterEgo and on Arcade Machines: Afterburner,KungFuMaster,IndianaJonesTempleofDoom,Terminator2Pinball.

ONi satisfies my FactorioHunger, CityBuilderThirst, BoulderDash/GhostnGoblinsTouch, Smurf feeling and Chemistry joy :rolleyes: + bonus of friendly forum community :bee::cheerful::bee: +devs which consider forum user feedback.

Need Fire in the game, dear Papa Klei Smurf

image.png.53a9f4487ac73211e1f424921f9d1e06.png

Archived