Please add "Iron Man" Mode ( game saving & debug disabled )

As people brought up time zones,

I recalled the "Iron Man" feature from some other games = Disabling the save game functionality, with the exception of 1 auto save which can be loaded.

Playing without lots of save games ( also enforce that debug mode does not work in this mode ) playing as "Iron Man" in the Ironman Mode, would be a nice thrill and challenge.

"Hardcore Ironman Mode" would be with zero saves, so no saving at all :D

1 hour ago, babba said:

"Hardcore Ironman Mode" would be with zero saves, so no saving at all

I already do this. I cannot stand the game freezing temporarily during each auto save, so I turned auto saving off in the game settings. So much nicer. And if something goes wrong or a duplicant gets stuck and dies, c’est la vie.

55 minutes ago, yoakenashi said:

I already do this. I cannot stand the game freezing temporarily during each auto save, so I turned auto saving off in the game settings. So much nicer. And if something goes wrong or a duplicant gets stuck and dies, c’est la vie.

It never came to my mind that the cycle delay is from the autosave my dear friend ! I really didn`t know :confused: Thanks for your input, very helpful. No wonder the delay got longer and longer over time...

15 hours ago, goboking said:

Playing until either you or your dupes die?  I like it.

The 2 described Iron Man Mode`s could be combined with the Masochistic difficulty settings from @Lilalaunekuh

Some nice start-fresh-colony challenge selections and choices in the main menu - Rimworld Style. :adoration:

As example one could imagine that there is only the last autosave available for player loading + Lilalaunekuh selected colony ideas/settings/choices/achievements.

Once Klei has someday completed the dlc+base game updates and the reactor stuff is done, then it would be superb if Klei digs the forum on all the various forum user suggestions on game settings, challenges & catastrophes. This could be implemented as a new "Emergency DLC", which also could include things like fire, explosion, combustion, firefighting equipment and multiplayer ( @cpy I like your audio log style )...and/or whatever else the forumistas have suggested in the past years :angel:

One rule I enforce most of the time and would love to become part of the base game would be:

Only offer/print duplicants matching a specific skill chosen before I embark.

[Like just biohazardous or mouthbreather duplicants if you want some pain, or all with diver lungs if you want. Diver lungs + deep diver lungs (neural vascilator) could enable whole new rocket concepts ...]

PS: I just noticed I play like "ironman" mode already, just (ab)using my last save game to reload if I´ve done something horrible wrong. [The only thing which made me reload a base at an early time was me using "alt+q" without noticing and disabling achievements^^]

Is there Ironman mode already added to Spaced Out? I can't see it :(
Also adding single hardcore difficulty setting all settings to hardest would be nice.
If lightout would be in base game (not as mode) would be even better. Challenges, challenges! Give us challenges good ONI Team! Please ;)

Very often my map (builds) had been assumed to been built in debug. If a hardcore mode would say in a corner of the screen "Hardcore Mode", that would be great. Diablo2 and other follow up titles had a lot of fans playing in "Hardcore".

New players coming to ONi are often not aware that there is:

a.) Editor mode players ( debug )

b.) Survival mode players

c.) Mixed mode`s players

A lot of players set their own play goals, but if you could choose "Hardcore Mode" ( only 1 save available ) or "Hardcore Ironman Mode" ( no save at all ) and have no way of accessing debug and only 1 or no save at all, it will give players extra sweat.

If one is at cycle 3799 and the colony is about to suffocate, the players tension and heart beat can rise to panic. Mastering such colony near-collapses in survival gives me great tension relief joy.

If the game someday may have (optional ) epic endgame threats ( spreading fires, giant meteors, lava rain etc. ) and colony threatening challenges and events, playing in these modes would add extra thrill.

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

I hate to be the bad guy, but someone needs to say it:

Why not just self-enforce it? Why does it have to be locked away like a cookie jar from a five year old? 

8 hours ago, Yunru said:

I hate to be the bad guy, but someone needs to say it:

Why not just self-enforce it? Why does it have to be locked away like a cookie jar from a five year old? 

As babba said: Knowing you can always reload just give some thrill away. And it is not so easy not to eat a cookie "not locked in a jar".

13 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

@babba @MarcinW you need to play terraria hardcore character (one kill - map erase) while having difficulty turned to master mode. ONI will just fry your RAM/pc if no save button is hit until cycle 1000 :lol: (just assuming...I don't dare to try it... need my potato pc intact)

@pether

Mod idea: Dupe death triggers earthquake, lava rain, ice blitz colony freeze, electric building malfunctions + all pacus jump out of the water :confused:

On 2/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, pether said:

...and the soundtrack changes to death metal ;)

If there is such thing like "License free death metal", then maybe I`ll make a Utube movie of a new big dlc rocket base, with the reactors and all machinery in a giant rocket steam room, all built in survival over thousands of cycles. At the end I probably have to hum the music, imitating the drums and death metal style singing with my voice. My singing is really bad, normally windows burst and all people run away. My singing is great to pass any queue and to disperse human crowds.

image.png.7ec0dd917f68f0e643ac9592867d837c.pngimage.png.3fa84cbc1e5e284bfc39937fb06b565a.png

1 minute ago, babba said:

My singing is really bad, normally windows burst and all people run away. My singing is great to pass any queue and to disperse human crowds.

Reminds me of Terry Pratchett's musicians (carol singers?) who had this sign: "Pay us and we will go somewhere else" :D

On 2/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, pether said:

...and the soundtrack changes to death metal ;)

In order to support the original idea of the Iron Man Mode ( the essence described below ) it would be superb if Klei teams up with Black Sabbath.

When the player selects the "Iron Man Play Mode" a special designed Klei Intro starts, where the dupes jump in to rock band outfits and play the song "Iron Man" on a dupe stage. It`s an game mode introduction to put the player in to the right mood. :love-struck:

On 12/8/2020 at 1:28 PM, babba said:

I recalled the "Iron Man" feature from some other games = Disabling the save game functionality, with the exception of 1 auto save which can be loaded. Playing without lots of save games ( also enforce that debug mode does not work in this mode ) playing as "Iron Man" in the Ironman Mode, would be a nice thrill and challenge. "Hardcore Ironman Mode" would be with zero saves, so no saving at all.

image.png.7f453f4ee5b3f57598b1dacd46744ec4.png The Iron Man Dupe Band on stage, in the game

image.png.659cc860a55c32fb17b39968a7792516.png Stinky`s Solo Riff Performance

Definitely good idea, but before doing it need to fix notifications. No matter how good you are, dupes will find way how to die from suffocation or from starvation in the middle of your base. Don't know what is wrong, but as usual I did NOT get suffocation notifications or get them too late. Additionaly to this of notifications contain a lot of not useful information which you can't remove - such as "hunger", "long commutes", "building under water", "building under stones" etc. Also it would be nice to create new notification with highest prio - "can't reach bed", because most often duplicant stay for a cycle in unreachable position, sleep together with wild animals then pee in exosuit and die (from suffocation or starvation, and even you get notification, most probably it would be not possible to save him).

23 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Or playing until the game crashes with a black hole.    Lol

A black hole on the hex map would be great - The player can send a probe in to it and may discover something :adoration:

blackhole.gifblackhole2.gif

The player could be warned that anything sent in to it...most likely will not come back.

Archived