A serious discussion on whats wrong with wormwood

Its undeniable that wormwood in the pre-update had some flaws; growth times, inefficient returns due to feeding most crops back to birds, but wormwood did have a definite advantage in the farming sector and i personally was normally able to feed a whole servers worth of people with dragonfruits or pumpkins. 

currently this is not possible. Wormwood’s farming capability has been seriously nerfed, and it seems to me no one has actually noticed, probably because everyone was too busy trying out the new farming system and arguing about wormwood still being viable to notice.

This seemingly wasnt on purpose either, it wasnt caused by weeds or gigantic crops being better, or everyone suddenly being capable of mass farming. Or anything actually added in the new update. It was something that was removed, you can no longer get more than one seed by feeding it to a bird.

the main issue is now if you plant a seed with wormwood you are effectively throwing it and any chance of more seeds away in exchange for whatever comes up. If i find 5 seeds that means 5 crops, and if i feed those to a bird i can do it again if i feel like. Its fine for spare seeds from the main farm, but it doesnt scream farming character to me. 

as such i propose a simple solution, in addition to whatever else thats added, growth formula blooming, faster harvesting, whatever. Add a 50% chance to get a bonus seed from a crop harvested by wormwood, if you were going to get a seed you could get two, if you pick a giant crop theres a chance it’ll drop a seed too (either specific or nonspecific). You can shove these bonus seeds into the ground and increase the harvest next time, or speed up the process of getting the seeds you need to start mass farming.

I still don't think this is any good. As I've said before, currently Wormwood's perks are shortcuts. You don't need a hoe, you don't need a gardeneer hat, etc. They jumpstart your progression without adding a whole lot.

As you said yourself, your suggestion 'speeds up the process of getting the seeds you need to start mass-farming".

In otherwords, once you're 'there' his perk would once again be useless. Wormwood needs incentive to stay playing Wormwood, especially in regard to farming. Something irreplaceable and otherwise unobtainable.

24 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

the main issue is now if you plant a seed with wormwood you are effectively throwing it and any chance of more seeds away in exchange for whatever comes up.

Yeah, except none of what you said is correct. Wormwood's wild crops can reliably produce 1 veggie and 1 seed so long as the crops are in season and you tend to them once right after planting them. Which, you know, he does faster than everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I still don't think this is any good. As I've said before, currently Wormwood's perks are shortcuts. You don't need a hoe, you don't need a gardeneer hat, etc. They jumpstart your progression without adding a whole lot.

As you said yourself, your suggestion 'speeds up the process of getting the seeds you need to start mass-farming".

In otherwords, once you're 'there' his perk would once again be useless. Wormwood needs incentive to stay playing Wormwood, especially in regard to farming. Something irreplaceable and otherwise unobtainable.

Except the bonus seeds effectively increases yield by planting the surplus and allows wormwood to farm like he once did ignoring plots if he he wants to, even possibly ignoring seasons to a degree (if you’re willing to wait for them), it does more than it seems at first glance, but i do get what you’re saying.

the main purpose isnt to be the buff that fixed him its to remove the nerf caused by the fact u cant obtain seeds as well as you used to.

I would like to see him craft some special seeds which is not accessible to other characters perhaps a new plant like mango or sugarcane.

Or maybe something special an aquatic plant I liked the concept of lotus in dont starve hamlet.

1 hour ago, ansuman said:

Or maybe something special an aquatic plant I liked the concept of lotus in dont starve hamlet.

I think it'd be pretty sweet if bananas were also given a whole plant design-growth stage-nutrient cycle treatment like other farmable crops but only Wormwood was able to access it by planting cave bananas directly to the ground; as they wouldn't have seeds but banana plants with low stress rates would yield a few bananas and almost no stress would make giant bananas with like 6-8 bananas. And why would the same fruit would have two different plants? As always blame it on the influence of the moon; as Wormwood introducing these endemic cave species to the lunar power to of the surface turn it into a friendly plant like other crops.

Personally I have never used wormwood to farm. I let all his seeds turn to rot. Mushroom planters is where its at. Red mush cap + planters = infinite food underground. I like this update so MUCH because it takes this useless perk from him and gives way to something new. His gem can be the new attraction. People seem to think "farming is the whole concept to wormwood!". Yeah well fire was the concept to willow but she still got bernie. This is his chance to be something more than a mindless seed slave. 

Wormwood is in an odd place with the beta. He has one of the nastiest downsides in the game and has an upside that previously seemed really powerful just given the alternatives to achieve the same thing as a different character. I think Wormwood shouldn't really need farm plots except for giant crops, and getting giant crops should be a lot easier as him when using a farm plot.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt since I don't play enough Wormwood and haven't played him in the beta. I'll just leave my two cents as that. 

I prefer mushroom planter farming to seed farming, partly because it got around summer and winter underground, and partly because gathering materials and ways to heal is more dynamic. While I would go out of my way to propagate dragonfruit and watermelon, I hope most other crops would rot. I have more fun using Wormwood as a living log character than a seed planting character.

On the other hand, I’m optimistic the farm update will give base sitters something productive to do.

I think one buff that may be good for him to have is that he doesnt have to worry about over crowding.
Plants that Wormwood plants wont be negatively effected if there is more than 10 plants on the tile. That way he could still make more in smaller spaces.
And say if someone else planted anything in that same tile, those plants would still get overcrowded, but not the ones from wormwood..

Just a suggestion

8 hours ago, Zeklo said:

+1 +1 +1 +1

Big Ups x10 :D 

Archived