Any uses for sweepy or the hammer?

On 12/2/2020 at 8:15 AM, Sasza22 said:

some sorts of music

On 12/2/2020 at 6:37 AM, Thilo87 said:

For what do you use the hammer?

@jambell, if you guys haven't seen this, I think it will make your day. (Edit: Looks like you already saw it, or at least someone from Klei has, as the comments on YouTube show that.) 

It was posted on reddit 21 days ago, and I should have put a link on here when it came out.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, goboking said:

I use a sweepy to mop up the trace mounts of water from my polymer presses, but that's it.  I have never used the hammer, and bout I ever will.

Polymer presses don't output steam if you set them up correctly.

• Developer
On 12/3/2020 at 10:50 AM, mathmanican said:

@jambell, if you guys haven't seen this, I think it will make your day. (Edit: Looks like you already saw it, or at least someone from Klei has, as the comments on YouTube show that.)

Thanks for the poke! Yeah, we saw this and it blew all of our minds.

Extremely, extremely cool :D whenever I see folks have made something like this, I always spend the next three days sending it to people in my life who have absolutely no understanding of what's going on, and I have to assure them they're seeing something special. Love to see it!

Thanks for the love!

Some things I've used the hammer for, music, a door bell chime when people enter/exit base, hitting grave stones of dead duplicants who have lived lives of treachery and deceit. Sweepy has some creative uses when combined with an auto sweeper and it is allowed to roam across multiple rooms (i.e. put next to a great hall to sweep up food and redeliver it to food storage), only thing lacking IMO is have an auto sweeper pull bottles out of the sweepy bin and deliver it to a canister emptier and/or bottle emptier - but it's fine the way it is.

Things I wish the hammer could do: press a weight plate (combined with the ability to rotate a weight plate 90 degrees), play the sound globally, produce a consistent sound on certain things it hits that play different variations of noise when they are hit. I really like the way hitting something sounds, but don't want it to oscillate if I was to put it in music or a composition of noises. Some things produce up to three different sounds, maybe more. Hitting something in different positions around the item to produce those variations would be fun for instance. I built a sound board of hitting everything in game, and pretty much weeded out anything that played variations when hit for use in music or some structured composition.

I'm building more things for fun than optimization or anything else - things like our bathroom notifications so we know when people are taking a pee and not working have been simple and amusing to build on stream. The hammer doesn't have a lot of uses at the moment but maybe more will show up over time. I learned a lot about making music from that video, overall for a longer score some changes to the game would need to happen since it needs to be able to fit inside of 80% of the length of a cycle since there are certain sounds you can not disable. Similar to not being able to disable the audio fade of all sounds during a cycle change, or the blue tint applied to everything at night time.

In either case, having these constraints resulted in creative decision making that we all have fun with - it is up to us to find ways to make use with what we have given the way things work. Best of luck finding creative uses to these items and share them when you do! I know I would love to see them and I'm sure others would as well!

1 hour ago, RealTimeBen said:

hitting grave stones of dead duplicants who have lived lives of treachery and deceit.

i bow to your wisdom, the hammers now have legit uses. DONG!!!:)

1 hour ago, RealTimeBen said:

Things I wish the hammer could do: press a weight plate (

ingenious

https://twitter.com/mezerg_/status/1301226530983550985?s=20

Godly^ you are not prepared for the avocado drop-in. trus :)

12 minutes ago, RealTimeBen said:

I've tried hitting a bed with a hammer to wake dupes up, but alas, that doesn't work lol 

i know 20$ isn't enuff, but I would offer twenty to get a save from you that recreated this tune, a commissioned work... :), or maybe just the main refrain. But, your work was truly marvelous. kudos! :)

Archived