Don't Starve Together Bosses: The Seven Deadly Sins.

So, I was in a conversation with a friend about the motivation of bosses, which got me thinking about the Seven Deadly Sins.

There just so happens to be 7 bosses on the surface of the constant, excluding the ones in the water.

I have come to realize that each of these bosses has traits of one of the deadly sins.

Bearger: Gluttony

Starting with the most obvious choice, the Bearger is clearly driven by gluttony. His whole purpose is to eat, and he is only angered by being attacked or having his food taken from him.

Dragonfly: Wrath

I picked Wrath for Dragonfly for a single reason: Her enraged form. While there are other bosses that have enraged forms, this is only if you do a certain thing to cause it. The Dragonfly's rage is a built-in mechanic of the fight that you are almost guaranteed to have to deal with in one way, whether that be panfluting her or not.

Klaus: Greed

So, Klaus was a bit tricky to sort into one of these, but I am pretty sure he is Greed. He hordes a bunch of stuff in his Loot Stash, and if you disturb it, he will attack you. And if you kill his deer, he gets even more angry because those were his most prized possessions.

Bee Queen: Pride

Bee Queen is a queen, a being of high status who is above all of her kind. She also avoids direct attack, she would rather have her servants do her dirty work for her.

Antlion: Sloth

This one and the next two are less obvious than the ones above, and this may seem like a strange choice, but hear me out. Antlion pretty much does nothing. She just sits around in the oasis, waiting for people to come appease her. When not appeased, rather than coming to attack the player, she sends things to hinder them, in the form of sinkholes and boulders. The only time she will fight you is if she is given a hot or cold thermal stone, which is enough of an insult to piss her off enough to fight you. Even still though, she does not directly attack, instead summoning spikes to hurt you.

Deerclops: Lust

This was a tricky one. How is Deerclops in any way related to Lust? Well, the sin of Lust does not necessarily refer to sexual lust. Deerclops is driven by lust to destroy. He comes to you, destroying any structures he can find, and if he sees you, he wants to destroy you, too.

Moose/Goose: Envy.

This was by far the most difficult thing to come up with reasoning for. The only way I can connect the Moose to envy is this: The moose is pathetic. She is the easiest boss, she is easily beaten by frogs. Even her children are more powerful than her. She envies the other creatures, wishing she could be as strong as them.

2 minutes ago, Aquabard said:

I agree with them all exept moosie is a bit stretched 

Moose and Deerclops are both stretches, but I think I was able to somewhat put reasoning behind each choice

1 minute ago, Caochu said:

I would like to invert Deerclops and Moose/Goose

What makes you believe that Deerclops is Envy and Moose is Lust? I am quite curious

Moose/Goose got so much nests and babies she can't properly defend them all at the same time (I guess, never really tried to attack several nests at the same time)

And Deerclops is so envious she destroys the nice thing she can't have

Yeah that's a bit far fetched :abnormal:

22 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

This was by far the most difficult thing to come up with reasoning for. The only way I can connect the Moose to envy is this: The moose is pathetic. She is the easiest boss, she is easily beaten by frogs. Even her children are more powerful than her. She envies the other creatures, wishing she could be as strong as them.

Perhaps another thing that could support this is the fact that she attacks anything, trying to prove that she is stronger.

15 minutes ago, Caochu said:

Moose/Goose got so much nests and babies she can't properly defend them all at the same time (I guess, never really tried to attack several nests at the same time)

And Deerclops is so envious she destroys the nice thing she can't have

Yeah that's a bit far fetched :abnormal:

1 minute ago, Notecja said:

I also think Deerclops is more envy, and Goose/Moose... Well, she had kids. Lots of kids.

8 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

isnt Moose Goose the only boss that reproduces?

I think you could be onto something, since moose is the only boss who has offspring, meaning that she has performed sexual intercourse, and the deerclops thing is reasonable too.

I think you pretty much nailed it on the head with this list, although personally I would place the Ancient Fuelweaver in Envy instead of Moose/Goose. His quotes imply a lot of bleak and pitiful events that he believes is his responsibility to rectify, and envious of both the past life he once had and the survivors living in the Constant. All in my opinion of course.

28 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

I think you pretty much nailed it on the head with this list, although personally I would place the Ancient Fuelweaver in Envy instead of Moose/Goose. His quotes imply a lot of bleak and pitiful events that he believes is his responsibility to rectify, and envious of both the past life he once had and the survivors living in the Constant. All in my opinion of course.

This was for the bosses of the surface land, cave bosses and sea bosses are excluded. I do think that the Fuelweaver would fit more with Pride though, since his pride ultimately lead to his downfall.

Well in that case- I want Klei to Add the only thing powerful enough to deal with them into the game: Say my name Billy Batson so that my powers may flow through you.

(Maybe this IS the Wolfgang Refresh.. faster move speed, 2x damage.. hmm)

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Blue Moth said:

So, I was in a conversation with a friend about the motivation of bosses, which got me thinking about the Seven Deadly Sins.

There just so happens to be 7 bosses on the surface of the constant, excluding the ones in the water.

I have come to realize that each of these bosses has traits of one of the deadly sins.

Bearger: Gluttony

Starting with the most obvious choice, the Bearger is clearly driven by gluttony. His whole purpose is to eat, and he is only angered by being attacked or having his food taken from him.

Dragonfly: Wrath

I picked Wrath for Dragonfly for a single reason: Her enraged form. While there are other bosses that have enraged forms, this is only if you do a certain thing to cause it. The Dragonfly's rage is a built-in mechanic of the fight that you are almost guaranteed to have to deal with in one way, whether that be panfluting her or not.

Klaus: Greed

So, Klaus was a bit tricky to sort into one of these, but I am pretty sure he is Greed. He hordes a bunch of stuff in his Loot Stash, and if you disturb it, he will attack you. And if you kill his deer, he gets even more angry because those were his most prized possessions.

Bee Queen: Pride

Bee Queen is a queen, a being of high status who is above all of her kind. She also avoids direct attack, she would rather have her servants do her dirty work for her.

Antlion: Sloth

This one and the next two are less obvious than the ones above, and this may seem like a strange choice, but hear me out. Antlion pretty much does nothing. She just sits around in the oasis, waiting for people to come appease her. When not appeased, rather than coming to attack the player, she sends things to hinder them, in the form of sinkholes and boulders. The only time she will fight you is if she is given a hot or cold thermal stone, which is enough of an insult to piss her off enough to fight you. Even still though, she does not directly attack, instead summoning spikes to hurt you.

Deerclops: Lust

This was a tricky one. How is Deerclops in any way related to Lust? Well, the sin of Lust does not necessarily refer to sexual lust. Deerclops is driven by lust to destroy. He comes to you, destroying any structures he can find, and if he sees you, he wants to destroy you, too.

Conclusion: DST is a game made by devil.

On 10/20/2020 at 3:07 PM, Blue Moth said:

Deerclops is driven by lust to destroy. He comes to you, destroying any structures he can find, and if he sees you, he wants to destroy you, too.

Sounds more like wrath.

On 10/20/2020 at 3:07 PM, Blue Moth said:

The deadly sins are so generic and common that you can say basically anyone is basically any of them. Using Bearger as an example he eats a lot (gluttony), steals your food (greed), sleeps half the year (sloth), attacks you if you take his food (wrath), and wants your food (envy and with your definition of lust, also lust). You could probably do this with any of the bosses.

Archived