What are your feelings towards Wormwood in DST?

As a wormwood main, I really like a lot about the character! I love his penalty and how it changes up how i play the game, but i dont know if id consider him a "good" character. What are some of your opinions on the plant boy? Is he perfect as is? Should an ability be removed? Or do you have any ideas for something that could be added to his kit? Id love to hear them.

An idea ive had is that applied horticulture should grant wormwood a temporary bloom, similar to wx78's overcharge. maybe lasting 3 days at the most as it fades from tier 3 to tier 1 bloom.

Dunno, I love the funky plant boy. I just think he could use a few small things to really make him pop

3 minutes ago, PrezPara said:

My only complaint is how he only blooms during spring. Wish there was a way to manually activate it like you said with Wickerbottom or of he could also bloom during summer. The skins make him look so nice while bloomed!

There should be something like that, I also feel the x2 hunger drain while bloomed is needlessly punishing personally. I think that should be toned down a bit since his bloom only really offers a small speed boost. I also feel his green thumb tab is pretty underwhelming. Ive tried using the bramble traps but they just seem like way too much effort compared to how little they do regarding hound waves. And his compost wraps animation is so long it makes it a pretty much useless healing item once you remember tents are in the game

I love Wormwood! I went from only playing Wickerbottom for the longest time to lately only playing Wormy :grin:. I agree on his Food healing downside it really shakes things up and is arguably the most severe downside in the game. Ive found an ornary beef really is awesome with Wormwood. All the crops and dragon fruit worm can grow but doesnt benefit from become amazing healing foods for the beefalo. In addition to Worms ability to grow endless amounts of blue mushrooms. 

That being said i agree with you that he isnt exactly perfect. He lost a lot of things when they ported him from hamlet to dst namely: 

- hay fever immunity

- cheap poison balm

- non decaying crops 

- Snaptooth and other plant allies. 

They didnt compensate for the things he lost at all in fact they introduced the decaying crops thing. 

A few changes id like to see are as follows:

- quicker picking animation for his wild crops

- make compost wrap worth making by changing it to a weaker jellybean/ alternative to sleeping 

- rebalance bramble husk: when they ported this from single player to dst they did not increase the durability accordingly. Almost everything in dst deals more damage. It is nice as it is now for taking out big tentacles, bees and obviously cacti picking but i wish it was better 

- also rebalance spring blooming. Its nice in theory but its active for SUCH an incredibly short amount of time u barely get to make use out of it. Double hunger drain for 1.2 faster movespeed for 3 days out of the year feels so meh. I wish it lasted longer and did a bit more of something so spring could become Wormwoods preferred season to fight the big bosses like dragonfly and the cave bosses. It should be his peak season! 

While applied horticulture blooming wormwood sounds nice im hestitant to make Wickerbottom even more mandatory. But some way to force blooming definitely would be awesome. 

A few other small things id like to see is some kind of benefit from rain during the day and some kind of interaction with the two species of treeguards be it no sanity drain near them (like in hamlet..) or a higher chance to pacify them by planting cones. 

In closing i think his crafting tab needs a serious look over to compensate for the things he lost and maybe even add new things he can make. Also more plant allies would be appreciated. And more/better bloom time! 

(Forgive the formatting im on mobile tehe) 

1 minute ago, Xanadu2003 said:

There should be something like that, I also feel the x2 hunger drain while bloomed is needlessly punishing personally. I think that should be toned down a bit since his bloom only really offers a small speed boost. I also feel his green thumb tab is pretty underwhelming. Ive tried using the bramble traps but they just seem like way too much effort compared to how little they do regarding hound waves. And his compost wraps animation is so long it makes it a pretty much useless healing item once you remember tents are in the game

I think the hunger drain is fine since speed in dst is really good for kiting and finishing tasks faster. I just found it hard to take advantage of that speed because I'm too lazy to only fight bosses during spring. Other then that, think if the hunger drain as more of a downside then a trade off. And I totally agree with the green thumb tab being underwhelming.

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

not getting on fire is a huge buff that he takes in dst

Right i forgot about that one but realistically how big of an issue was that even to begin with. He still takes more damage from fire and for a longer period of time in dst. 

Just now, Ohan said:

Right i forgot about that one but realistically how big of an issue was that even to begin with. He still takes more damage from fire and for a longer period of time in dst. 

ye but he can survive spring without loosing health for every lighting and the fire damage isnt a usual thing

15 minutes ago, Ohan said:

- make compost wrap worth making by changing it to a weaker jellybean/ alternative to sleeping 

I'd make it so every time you craft one, you get 2 or 3 instead (like when you craft wall tiles, that you get 6 instead of one? same thing). That would mean that for all those materials you get 60 HP (or 90 HP if you get 3)  with a debuff of a long animation time every 30 HP. It would make it worth using the materials over salves or poultices, and it would probably make them worth using as fertilizer.

18 minutes ago, Ohan said:

- also rebalance spring blooming. Its nice in theory but its active for SUCH an incredibly short amount of time u barely get to make use out of it. Double hunger drain for 1.2 faster movespeed for 3 days out of the year feels so meh. I wish it lasted longer and did a bit more of something so spring could become Wormwoods preferred season to fight the big bosses like dragonfly and the cave bosses. It should be his peak season! 

While applied horticulture blooming wormwood sounds nice im hestitant to make Wickerbottom ever more mandatory. But some way to force blooming definitely would be awesome. 

Yes! spring blooming has a lovely animation but you get to see it extremely briefly. What if while he is above 25% wetness for more than a day, he starts blooming? It will spoil your food, freeze you, and all the other water related cons, but if you manage to keep your wetness up for a few days, you can stay bloomed whenever you want.

I dislike it that fertilizers are barely useful on Wormwood and that he still looses sanity if hit by a splumonkey with manure. He also feels somewhat like a pick-and-swap character once you obtain enough Living Logs and Bramble Husks. His planting ability becomes also less useful once you build enough farm plots and eyeplants (and sea weed) being passive towards him feels barely useful. But other than that I enjoy playing as Wormwood and I would consider him as my main character.

i relate to him so much. his backstory pretty much tells mine: the lonesome, didnt know how to fit in so he made friends with his plant friends, like me, i didnt know how to fit in so i have little friends, so ive made friends with other people that have autism like me. and wormwood is so cute i pretty much joke that i adopted him. game wise i main him, dont play anyone else in survival mode

56 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I'd make it so every time you craft one, you get 2 or 3 instead

Thatd be nice too! I was just thinking that wormwood already has access to salves and poultice for in combat burst healing. So to differentiate it and add some utility i thought to turn compost wraps into a bigger sustained heal u can pop at the start of a fight or after a fight when ur no longer in danger. Or when u make a few livings logs during the day and dont want to sleep. Because even if the recipe gave multiple wraps the long animation is still a clunky hinderance for frequent use 

No matter how much cheaper the recipe is i dont think i would risk using that long animation in a fight when salves are pretty cheap as well and have the same animation time as jerky 

if that 60hp burst heal of two compost wraps was instead a heal over time of 1 wrap ud only have to go through that cute but long animation once and out of danger 

also a small consideration (lol): compost takes time to work itself into the soil to become useful for plants so thematically a heal over time would make more sense too 

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

I love Wormwood! I went from only playing Wickerbottom for the longest time to lately only playing Wormy :grin:. I agree on his Food healing downside it really shakes things up and is arguably the most severe downside in the game. Ive found an ornary beef really is awesome with Wormwood. All the crops and dragon fruit worm can grow but doesnt benefit from become amazing healing foods for the beefalo. In addition to Worms ability to grow endless amounts of blue mushrooms. 

That being said i agree with you that he isnt exactly perfect. He lost a lot of things when they ported him from hamlet to dst namely: 

- hay fever immunity

- cheap poison balm

- non decaying crops 

- Snaptooth and other plant allies. 

They didnt compensate for the things he lost at all in fact they introduced the decaying crops thing. 

A few changes id like to see are as follows:

- quicker picking animation for his wild crops

- rebalance bramble husk: when they ported this from single player to dst they did not increase the durability accordingly. Almost everything in dst deals more damage. It is nice as it is now for taking out big tentacles, bees and obviously cacti picking but i wish it was better 

While applied horticulture blooming wormwood sounds nice im hestitant to make Wickerbottom even more mandatory. But some way to force blooming definitely would be awesome. 

A few other small things id like to see is some kind of benefit from rain during the day and some kind of interaction with the two species of treeguards be it no sanity drain near them (like in hamlet..) or a higher chance to pacify them by planting cones. 

In closing i think his crafting tab needs a serious look over to compensate for the things he lost and maybe even add new things he can make. Also more plant allies would be appreciated. And more/better bloom time! 

(Forgive the formatting im on mobile tehe) 

Couldn't agree more. I once tested using 17 bramble husk to fight bee queen. It almost get to Wendy's effectiveness. If only the durability was increased to like 500 and damage absorption decreased to 50% or even 30% so it could last longer. 

3 hours ago, Ohan said:

they did not increase the durability accordingly.

"increase"? Most if not all armors in DST have lower health than they have in DS, to be more specific they have 30% less durability. And the bramble armor did decrease accordingly.  So i'm confused at your message here.

I think he is a terrific addition to DST. Really useful specially in the early stages of the game.

Personally, however, i find him quite dull after the first ingame year or so. Once Rabbitmen, Kelp or honey farm are installed his seeds tend to lose worth for the party. 

His passive doesn't help him excel as a fighter either (Altough bat bat buffs do help him a bit IMO) Also, his traps fall behind standard toothtraps and Winona's catapults.

Altough niche, i really think his bramble vest is very nice. It helps farm cactus but most importanty, spikey bushes. These bushes won't suffer from disease so a smart wormwood can permanently make his vests and leave them near a spikey bush farm for an exceptional and reliable twig farm.

He surely is really fun to play as, specially when there's a Warly in the party

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

"increase"? Most if not all armors in DST have lower health than they have in DS, to be more specific they have 30% less durability. And the bramble armor did decrease accordingly.  So i'm confused at your message here.

Oh it appears u are correct haha. I always thought the durability of armor got increased for Dst because enemy hp and damage got increased too that always made sense to me and i think i read it on the forums too once. Either way now i really dont understand why they made the durability so low.. it requires 2 living logs and 4 bone shards and only has 262 durability... low durability incentives to just use it for the protection against cacti etc instead of in combat. 

This is a wasted opportunity imo. I wanna see wigfrids running around with battle helms and bramble husks face tanking everything :-D

so i play wormwood on the occasion and two things really stand out to me; first it is pretty rubbish he can only bloom in spring since his bloom stages are so much nicer than his default(to the point where i keep him to spring-only games and games where spring is more than half of the year). because of this issue i do really stand behind that idea of him getting a spring charge from applied horticulture or from staying wet for a period of time. in particular the former would be great for wormwood players but would also be a nice thing for wicker that makes her more valuable without changing anything about her play

the second thing(and this is where i can be roundly ignored) is that wormwood's ability to eat without a health punishment is super over powered in the non-memey kind of way. i was playing with a walter and i basically built base and fed walter on my own and even though we had two crockpots i almost exclusively lived off of redcaps and berries with the rare bite of meatballs when i would forget to eat during my daily walkabout. wormwood's increased hunger in no way combated how dang much he can freely eat without being harmed(even sanity draining food wasn't anything because i could just plant in the two farm plots we had for quick sanity and quicker food and in the cleared spot next to base if i needed sanity and the iceboxes got too full). i am not sure how to fix this however since it is an excellent trade that he never has to worry about hunger and sanity outside of winter(something easily taken care of if you start in spring or have a long autumn game or even just have the game set to 'more' mushrooms) in exchange for having a handicap on health. basically as long as i had seeds or pinecones i was alright

I like Wormwoods playstyle and “Default” look (until it blooms and becomes ugly)

Ironically.. I like Wormwoods NEW skin which is supposed to be intentionally ugly when it blooms.. lol, Wormwood is fun to play as and the challenges he provides-

No healing from eating foods- is something I wish EVERY Character had.. not just Wormwood.

As someone who has played some of the most brutal survival simulators you can possibly name- it makes no sense at all to me why the game has a dedicated tab to craft medical healing Items... but yet you can just stuff your face with food and heal.

So in a way- Wormwood simply teaches new players the other methods of healing without relying on food items.

But at the same time- removes the challenge of having to worry about finding food when you can just grow it right there on the spot with a handful of seeds, no farm needed.

I play as every character in the entire game from time to time depending on how I feel like playing at the time..

(if I want to be a field Medic I’ll play willow running around using sewing kits to heal my Bernie dolls when they get destroyed)

(If I would rather spend my time with my own personal divining Rod, I will play Wendy who can Find Pipspook & help them find lost stuffs in exchange for mourning glory to create potions to improve Abigail)

(If I play as Winona I will spend significantly more time down in Caves with my crafted spotlights, gathering Nitre and Gems to keep my structures powered)

There is a REASON and a unique Playstyle that each of these characters offer (or Will offer once Reworked)

And that’s why I enjoy playing as them all. :) 

Archived