[Poll] On the August QoL Update, Postmortem

I've got a perfect plan. This is the greatest PLAAAAAAAN!  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the August QoL Update

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Unsatisfied
    • Very Unsatisfied
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the update
  2. 2. What are the most fleshed-out, though-of parts of the update for you?

• The Cookbook.
    • The screen flash effect changes.
    • Tackle Box/Specktackler Box changes.
    • The Backpack Layout change.
    • Batilisk Wing Crock pot viability and drop rate change
    • Ancient Guardian's sketch
    • Server curio limit increase
    • Mod menu changes
    • Improved texture resolutions
    • Rabbit Earmuff buff
    • Tail o Three Cats buff
    • Cat Cap buff
    • c_freecrafting and c_selectnext
    • Stinger flammability
    • Map icons for sus marble and Crab Kong
    • Wurt bug fix
    • Quick Drop
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The update brought lots of needed mechanical changes to DST
    • The update brought lots of needed aesthetic changes to DST
    • The update addressed the DST community's concerns regarding Quality of life issue
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied".
    • I voted "No strong feelings."
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The update brought lots of unneeded mechanical changes to DST
    • The update brought lots of unneeded aesthetic changes to DST
    • The update addressed lesser issues instead of bigger, more mentioned ones
    • The update did not address the DST community's concerns regarding Quality of life issues
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."

I voted Satisfied, not ''very'' but it was definitely a good update.  My favorite parts were the Cook Book and Bat Bat buffs. I really like the Bat Bat but crafting it was always a waste of time, now I often can get 3 wings in a single night camping at a sinkhole so I can actually carry a Bat Bat with me in confidence and get some quick heals in here and there....I've come to learn it's more of a healing tool than a weapon you should be using constantly and it goes great with Wormwood.  The Cook Book was also amazing because I have bad memory and can never memorize important crock pot recipies, what they do, etc. The Cook Book provides an ingame legitimate way to do so and even gives you another goal to strive for completion.

I didn't put ''very satisfied'' because there are still a few things I personally feel should be given a QoL improvement, but it's possible Klei doesn't feel the same on these issues and it's really hard to complain about such a good update.  I think the Lazy Forager should be refuelable, as with Willows Lighter, and I think that refuelable items should not break at 0% durability and should be more like the Bone Armor and just be unusable until refueled, and I'd really like it if Gorge and Forge turfs became legitimately available to craft...that would have left me ''very'' satisfied.

None of player suggestions had been real and we just got few mod stuffs into game. Maybe it's a great update for console users but not for pc users. The only thing in update that I liked is texture refreshing. It's would be good if it would be small update came with reworks. I'm just saying, it's not a QoL update, it's a patch/hotfix. 

BUT problem is about me bc I really except huge stuffs from updates. The developers warned about it's gonna be a small thing :(

I didn't know/noticed/encountered some of the changes you listed. Specifically, what are the changes with Tackle box, and Wurt?

The changes that possitively affected the quality of my Life are the cook book, quick drop feature, rabbit earmuffs (this might be my favorite), cat cap, cat o three tails, bat wings, Ancient Guardian statue and suspicious marbles on the map. I'd put stinger flammability on the negative side of things, being the only thing I disliked.

1 hour ago, SonicDen220 said:

This update was really really good. Small things that just make the game look and play a lot better. Kinda impressive how those small QoL updates are so much better than new RoT content.

I'm gonna have to firmly disagree on that; QoL changes are good and all and I do want more of them, they should be put in the line up of Reworks and Rot Updates so we get at least one every season. However all five RoT updates were gamechangingly awesome in my opinion and can't wait for the ones that are on the way.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I didn't know/noticed/encountered some of the changes you listed. Specifically, what are the changes with Tackle box, and Wurt?

43 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I came to ask exactly the same, can you please clarify @GetNerfedOn?

Thanks for clarifying, here's where i based those choices off:

image.png.7d7715b3e57275428b99a0e26c39835f.png

image.png.0ce73b8dd3e2a4a20f3fb82599d0d463.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/dontstarve/comments/idf1wq/dont_starve_together_august_qol_update/

edit: why has selecting the thank emote become so much more finicky than before now that i have to gloss through all the other emotes to get to it oml

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

A generic update.

I've made suggestions, none of them made it into the game, heck, none of them were even close to the 'theme' of the added stuff.

Just an update where most of the dev work went into the code. 

No strong feelings.

Mild curiosity kicked proverbial cat in the groins: mind sharing a link with those suggestions?

PS: I'm pretty indifferent regarding last QoL update. Swell the Tail o' Three Cats I fancy got re-balanced on requiring only 1x Tentacle Spots. Ok for Ancient Guardian's sketch drop and Crab King plus Marble Statue Heads icons. Not so happy with new Lightning Strike effect; original was toned down to barely a mild dimming in light - imo should've been made into a menu setting where people being bothered by original could've arrange it at different flash values more in tune with their preferences: not good adjusting elements to lowest common denominator (likewise with original Horror Hounds and Moonrock Pengulls). Rest was superfluous from my pov. Yet nice that KLei still bothers with fine-tuning core-game aspects.

While I certainly appreciate the amount of effort, care, and consideration from the developers that was put into this update, and not to mention the amount of satisfaction from the community, I had to choose "unsatisfied" because I do have some genuine criticisms about the update. They have no reason to appeal to everyone and/or agree with many of the requested changes that were put out; but I still hold my stance under the pretense that I find some of the criticisms (including my own) to be valid criticisms.

27 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

While I certainly appreciate the amount of effort, care, and consideration from the developers that was put into this update, and not to mention the amount of satisfaction from the community, I had to choose "unsatisfied" because I do have some genuine criticisms about the update. They have no reason to appeal to everyone and/or agree with many of the requested changes that were put out; but I still hold my stance under the pretense that I find some of the criticisms (including my own) to be valid criticisms.

Would you mind linking or listing the main changes you wanted and your critisizms to the QoL update Mr Owlrus Señor? I'd be interested to read them.

7 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Would you mind linking or listing the main changes you wanted and your critisizms to the QoL update Mr Owlrus Señor? I'd be interested to read them.

Not owlrus but a lot of people wanted bigger changes like a disease cure or some changes to wurt. I understand why they haven't changed those though since they are relatively big changes and I'd rather they completely change how disease works then slap a cure and call it a day

Great poll! I wanted to list the "What changes people liked the most", but I thought they might be a bit too overwhelmed when the update just came out.

Having just a "skip question" option is good enough, instead of making two or more of the same. Wish the devs implemented optional voting for a specific question, but for now this is the only work around.

since people are requesting sources i gotta say, there's a megathread and at least three polls detailing forumer-collated suggestions, among tons of other suggestion threads at the time:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/120265-poll-on-the-august-qol-update

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/120689-poll-on-the-august-qol-update-v2/?tab=comments#comment-1359745

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/120120-comprehensive-player-qol-wishlist

Plenty of suggestions such as the Disease cure, farming reworks, beefalo taming tweaks, have been uproariously discussed and raised even before the rework was announced and yet remain unaddressed, which is a source of discontent whichever way I see it.

Personally, I feel that while the audience's expectations were raised to somewhat unreasonable levels, considering that people threw around tons of suggestions in the hopes of change despite Klei never directly stating for anybody anywhere and certainly not in these forums to directly suggest what to change in the update, we, the players do need closure as to the resolution of said longstanding issues. Seeing yet another update pass said issues by makes the ensuing disappointment outweigh the good that has been done, at least in my perspective.

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

As per the criticisms here is what I had (please take with a grain of salt):

Spoiler
  1. Disease and Farming were widely regarded by the community as both flawed and a hindrance in normal gameplay, but went completely untouched in the update. Many outright disable disease or refuse to partake in any condition that would put them in that circumstance, and the same could be said for farming where people have a very hard time trying to return a profit on vegetables they want to selectively grow (on top of the expensive cost in building farms as well). Furthermore due to the situation with farming, playing Warly becomes even more challenging and non-Warly players will find themselves possibly not exploring many of the amazing dishes in the game (which brings me to my next point).
  2. Many Crock Pot dishes could have used some tweaks to rival other dishes. As it stands some dishes are just too good to not make when confronted by the issue of individual ingredients. For example, if you were to make Honey Nuggets with the lowest possible cost: 1 Morsel, 2x Ice, and 1x Honey, you would get 37.5 hunger from the dish; however if you were to replace the 1x honey with an additional ice you would get a dish that gives 25 more hunger. Honey Ham is also in a similar spot when compared to Meaty Stew; since it requires 1.75x meats you would always have to add 2 morsels or a meat at minimum for a baseline recipe of 1x Honey, 1x Monster Meat, and 2x Morsels. If you were to replace the 1x Honey with any 1x Meat, you would get a Meaty Stew (nearly double the hunger); true hunger isn't everything, but even then we have the same issue with health crock pot foods as well.
  3. Many shadow/ancient items that were in dire need of some tuning were also left behind. To me this was pretty big because there were numerous items that, unless used in special circumstances, were never used. Including but not limited to the following: Shadow Armor, Night Light, One-Man Band, Lazy Forager, Thulecite Medallion, Pick/Axe, Fire Staff, Chilled Amulet, Napsack (bonus one!), etc. I understand that it is unreasonable to ask for all of these to be tuned, but some would have been well appreciated. However I am happy that they chose to tweak the Bat Bat (one of my favorite changes).
  4. The way that fire interacts with both mobs and the environment (including smoldering in Summer) still goes relatively unused or ignored. There was a suggestion I remember from awhile back where someone had the idea of an item or mechanic that could bring rain into Summer with @ScottHansen (I think he could verify this) mentioning that it would certainly seem like a reasonable request.
  5. Many of the changes were aesthetic in nature, offering visual improvements, a new item/craftables (cookbook/new statues/beards), and some smaller changes that generally won't make or break any playstyle. For example, the Cat Cap and Rabbit Earmuffs were both changed, but very few used them anyways; which is not bad, but I personally feel like other bigger issues should have been addressed such as farming.

Overall I thought the update was a nice change of pace from the content updates that we've been having for the past months, but I do personally think that a bit more attention could have been focused on the things that put an obstacle in the enjoyment of playing the game solely because of the fact that it will be some time before we get another one of these updates again. Klei does a lot of things right in my eyes, much more than any of the things that I don't necessarily agree with; but I don't think that they are also above criticism either and I refuse to give blind praise due to how damaging it can be for both parties. Thank you for your time, I understand if this was a long read.

I think the cookbook was done poorly. It functions nice as an achievement, but something that tells players what they already know is useless. The cookbook should be something that experienced players can place by the crockpot, it shows all of its creator’s recipes, and new players can actually learn from it. For something exceptional, let players sort by ingredients, like all the recipes monster meat can make.

Archived