[Poll] On the August QoL Update

dream has 100000000 IQ is2G  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What issues do you think should the August QoL rework address??

• Disease fix (e.g. cure)
    • Farming tweaks (e.g. reduced farm costs, increased birdcage seed drops, etc)
    • Skin/Character model fixes (e.g. hats not fitting on certain characters, etc)
    • Ineffective Item (e.g. Rabbit Earmuffs, Bat bat, Cat Tail derivatives, Night Light, Morning Star, etc.) Buffs
    • Worldgen tweaks (Archipelago generation, etc)
    • Graphical fixes (e.g. Sanity Monster visibility)
    • More Skins
    • Beef Taming Tweaks (e.g. reduced taming time, milking beefs, etc)
    • Tweaks that add a nice little amount of detail ingame
    • More Worldgen Options
    • Performance Improvement (e.g. lag fixes, ground item auto stacking)
    • Structure improvements (e.g. refillable salt licks, ability to take items out of potter's table and scale-o-matic)
    • Menu improvements (e.g. a more detailed Shop UI)
    • Preset options (e.g. mod presets, worldgen presets)
    • Creature tweaks
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

Next upon my list of questions: What you guys think the August QOL rework should emphasize?

(I primarily attempted to collate all the suggestions i encountered but that was simply too much to handle for both pollmaker and poll-answerer so I decided to generalize the choices instead!)

As always, feel free to answer the poll, and discuss in the comments!

I think you forgot an important aspect which is characters QoL improvements (not necessarily refreshes) Some of us have  been begging for Wurt's merm interaction changes, fixable clever disguise etc.

I think with the new leafy meat recipes veggies will start to be taken into account. And i like the direction of veggie foods having big sanity effects.

Disease is annoying but it adds challenge in the lategame, also if people start buildimg crop farms they may pay attention to disease more often. However we could use like a warning before they rot (maybe bushes slightly changing colour)

Skins may probably come on september with the character refresh and/or during halloweed event.

That's my 2 coins :P

i think another importat annoying thing is how some structures are prioriced by cntrl+F like walls and slurtles nests

23 minutes ago, Brubs said:

Disease is annoying but it adds challenge in the lategame, also if people start buildimg crop farms they may pay attention to disease more often. However we could use like a warning before they rot (maybe bushes slightly changing colour)

you get an advice when harvest (your character talks and bugs fly away) but you can only notice it if you harvest them. For that i dig all my twiggs when i have plenty, to prevent them to rot because i dont harvest them in many days

24 minutes ago, Brubs said:

I think you forgot an important aspect which is characters QoL improvements (not necessarily refreshes) Some of us have  been begging for Wurt's merm interaction changes, fixable clever disguise etc.

I purposefully omitted character changes because they'd quickly stray into rework material in my opinion. 

I want to add combat improvements, for example when force attack, prioritize attacking mobs instead of nearby structures. Also attacking mobs that you are engaged with instead of the closest enemy: Example, you fight a mosquito and accidentally hit a tentacle close.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

then will be impossible to fight multiple enemies because your character will walk into the enemy crowd

The difference is for example bee queen minions are targeting from the start. But the tentacles are dormant.

54 minutes ago, NoscopeFelix said:

More world gen options might not be important to pc players, but for console players that would be a really amazing thing to have.

So much this... the last QoL update added the option to Randomize Weather Season and Season Lengths, Something that PC players have had as a mod for a long long time... So they most likely missed this or didn’t care about it.

But for Console players it was something “NEW” that ultimately lead me to delete all 5 of my existing game saves just so I could have them all become pure unpredictable mad chaos with Random weather.

And that’s something I would like to see more of- There are Mods on PC that also Randomize Time of Day.. Imagine one day being long & you can get a lot done & then the next day ends up being an “only night” day...

More Unpredictable Mad Chaos!
please Klei, <3 utilize the full potential of more world gen options.

People ask me how could I possibly talk about the game being more uncompromising when I want adjustable health for Boss fights...

Maybe THIS is How & Why? 

Maybe I don’t want to spend 3 hours fighting one Boss meanwhile the settings for my server have it going from Winter to Summer to Spring, to Summer from Day to Night to “Lights Out.”

What I desperately want from this franchise is for Klei to Break the Meta... 

And having more control of the world gen options such as “time of day and day length” is an excellent start in doing that.

I would have voted for worldgen - specifically an archipelago style, but with boats getting hit pretty hard in the last patch I'll put that one on the back burner...  I'm not sure Klei is going the right direction with ocean content at this point so I'm kinda dreading their next update for this...

But I do think disease, beef taming, farm viability, and unlisted but related - wildfires - need some QoL updates.  There is a lot of game material that just isn't worth accessing because of these features.  These all include a lot of "bad difficulty."  Where the difficulty doesn't make enjoyable, challenging game play.  These just wall off an entire section of the game play without adding anything back.  These all need an overhaul.

Disease and wildfires both lead players to avoid large blocks of content.  Build farms that avoid disease like bunnyman farms, or base in the caves in summer.  I feel the game would be a lot better with these two just turned off, and that can be done in world-settings, but a lot of people play on default worlds.  And regardless of our ability to turn off bad mechanics... they are still bad mechanics.  They don't add anything to the game.  They aren't fun or challenging.  They are tedious chores that you can completely ignore and you'll be just as well off.

Beef taming and farms both suffer from high investment low payoff.  As fun as tamed beefs are they are a lot of work and after all of that work... they can just die... and that's it.  Dead.  Their advantages aren't even that great.  Similarly you invest a lot of grass, stone, manure, and time planting seeds, feeding the crops to birds, hoping for good crops to multiply, and for what?  Even once you get a good crop like dragonfruit going you've got to feed most of the crop to a bird just to replant.

I assume when you say "graphical tweaks" in relation to shadow creatures you mean the fact that they sometimes dont spawn, or get stuck and dont despawn, which doesnt clear up space for new shadow creatures to spawn.

Insanity is already too easy, but with bugs that have existed for like 8 years its turned into a joke.

I want to see effort into removing these problems, along with removing cheese tactics, like getting the Ancient Guardian or Fuelweaver stuck on simple objects, letting you wail on them without any danger.

8 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

snip

ooooooooor, here is a thought; leave the cheese in for people who need it to be able to fight the boss and if you think cheesing makes it too easy then you just don't use cheese tactics when you fight the boss?

7 minutes ago, gaymime said:

ooooooooor, here is a thought; leave the cheese in for people who need it to be able to fight the boss and if you think cheesing makes it too easy then you just don't use cheese tactics when you fight the boss?

Okay, counter point, pub games are ruined for me because people are killing end game bosses in the first 5 days by using cheese tactics, obtaining end game items, becoming massively overpowered and trivializing the game, meaning that even by being around the people who abuse these glitches I am benefitting.

Am I supposed to just break the campfires when people are doing the firepit deerclops method? Oh, well, I tried to help in the fight, ruining the cheese, and got banned. Or I just stand by and dont participate, meaning thats one less threat to worry about, because someone else used cheese methods.

Ill just not participate in the gsme because people are cheating.

Dont ban the racist aim bots in tf2, they enjoy it, and pub games dont matter, I should just not cheat like they do, and just enjoy the game. 

1 minute ago, Ogrecakes said:

snip

that is a problem with people not a problem with the tactics. even if those particular cheeses are removed those players will remain and manage it in some other way.

dude, if you are activly trying to make it so people are having a worse time playing then of course you are going to be banned. forcing other people to play by your will in a public game is bad form when those other people did not consent to it

as for wanting to suffer more? i cannot help you since i don't know about servers on ps4 and so could not tell you to either play on empty servers or play solo or just play in a room where people are not as like to rush bosses(aka a chaperoned room or a room of friends)

5 minutes ago, gaymime said:

that is a problem with people not a problem with the tactics. even if those particular cheeses are removed those players will remain and manage it in some other way.

dude, if you are activly trying to make it so people are having a worse time playing then of course you are going to be banned. forcing other people to play by your will in a public game is bad form when those other people did not consent to it

as for wanting to suffer more? i cannot help you since i don't know about servers on ps4 and so could not tell you to either play on empty servers or play solo or just play in a room where people are not as like to rush bosses(aka a chaperoned room or a room of friends)

You genuinely went with the "if people want cheat, let them cheat" response, at the cost of other players experience?

You realize the exact arguement you used could be used in my favor right? I didnt consent to them cheating the game, forcing me to benefit off their cheating.

wait what... ? Every single boss in this game provides the player with an item that makes staying alive even EASIER.

Therefore- Unlike Ogrecakes, I think bosses should actually be easier to kill, because anyone who doesn’t actually NEED their “Help you stay alive better” loot drops will just ignore the bosses entire existence altogether.

When I found out that the reason people killed Deerclops was to obtain its Eye and get a hat that makes you immune to rain and lightning strikes.. I suddenly lost any motivation to go actually KILL Deerclops..  because it’s an item that trivialize’s an Entire weather season of the game.

And in fact (until Klei’s last QoL patch) I had been using the Eye to create Deerclops Statues, Klei has now made Clops Statues craftable without the Eye needed... but my POINT is I survived just fine through Spring Rainfalls wearing a Straw Hat, and Umbrella & Alternating between using the Umbrella & using a Spear.

In fact, you don’t even need an Umbrella.. a Straw Hat + Parasol + standing under a tree will negate wetness..

Now that I can’t use the Eye In crafting recipes to fill my base with Statues, I guess I have no choice but to use it on Eyebrellas and Houndious, But.. I will probably only craft them and store them into a chest for the casual players joining my world who need them to do one thing sadly ALL Boss loot does in this game-

Help them stay alive a little better than they would without it.

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

You genuinely went with the "if people want cheat, let them cheat" response, at the cost of other players experience?

it is a known thing that the mods have not and likely will not change which means it is viable, despite that though it sounds like you are hoping to make everyone have less fun to meet your narrow idea of acceptable social play which isn't exactly to the benefit of other players

2 minutes ago, gaymime said:

it is a known thing that the mods have not and likely will not change which means it is viable, despite that though it sounds like you are hoping to make everyone have less fun to meet your narrow idea of acceptable social play which isn't exactly to the benefit of other players

Oh, okay, got it, youre just trolling.

I don't think this is the place for that.

Just now, Ogrecakes said:

snip

i'm actually serious. your idea wasn't one that was beneficial to other people and was a detriment to play. i said that there was no harm in letting people choose how they played. your reply was that other people had to suffer to make your play more fun for you personally because letting them choose how they play still made your game less difficult. i said that still is enforcing your will on strangers and taking away from their fun and you decided to call that trolling. at no point have i stopped being serious you've just not said anything to justify your position and are now being fussy

Actually you know what, after my previous post I know what I want to ask Klei for in a Quality of Life Update, and maybe these things are too much to hope for with THIS upcoming August QoL update.. but I would hope that they can be squeezed into a third QoL update sometime in the future.

And look I humbly mean no disrespect to @Ogrecakes and the others who are working hard on their “Uncompromising Mod” But... I want to see more Utility in the World Gen Menu, (That Menu full of things you can toggle on and off, more and less of, etc..) 

Let me explain Why.. please.

In my above post I mentioned how Deerclops loot drop makes Rain & Lightning completely Obsolete.

In the same manor.. Being able to Craft and use an Ice-Flingo-Matic makes the threat of Summer Wildfires Completely Obsolete..

Do you guys notice the problem with this game yet? They give us temporary hassles that have permanent solutions to them.

There are people even right NOW wanting a cure to disease.. the one feature that (currently) does not HAVE a Permanent solution for.

But the game doesn’t have to be this way.. They can add a ton of new options to this world Gen preset that really shakes this game up at its core foundation....

Think of having an additional toggle option for Deerclops such as “Drops Eyebrella upon death?” Yes/No/Random.

Players can craft IceflingoMatic? Yes/No.

These.. are the Major game sweeping changes that we (the players) could have full control over without needing to use a mod or tell ourselves we just won’t use this item.. if only Klei would see the full potential behind these menu’s.

7 minutes ago, gaymime said:

being able to hide behind a small gravestone or a pillar and just hold F and kill a boss (for free basically) that's meant to be a prerequisite to the final boss fight + is literally the boss and guardian of the ruins, the most dangerous place in the game by far where you can craft the best gear in the game seems pretty weird to me. if they ever make changes to the ancient guardian fight or completely rework it like uncompromising mode (very cool and fun ag fight) i think they should remove it but rn i dont really mind since the fight itself is pretty basic and easy, you're not really missing much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

In my above post I mentioned how Deerclops loot drop makes Rain & Lightning completely Obsolete.

I know good players just kill deerclops because it is more annoying than anything and it is better of dead. People just leave the eyeball in chest and basically forget about it. Spring is fairly trivial.

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

In the same manor.. Being able to Craft and use an Ice-Flingo-Matic makes the threat of Summer Wildfires Completely Obsolete..

Babysitting bases is not a good gameplay either, since there are special stuff that only appear in summer and requires to leave a base. Developing chronic paranoia for potential wildfires is not good for my heart.

Archived