Characters  

310 members have voted

1. 1. Characters

In Vanilla, its Wickerbottom, for no other reason than her tier 1 science.

It's Woodie or Max if it's mods, Woodie - Classic Curse, for a single player styled Woodie, since DST Woodie is essentially a different character, or Uncompromising Mode with the Maxwell changes on, since I added his old shadows back in, and I really don't like DST Maxwell's overly efficient, afk playstyle. (I wouldn't mention it if another mod added his old Shadows in).

On 9/4/2020 at 8:13 PM, Ogrecakes said:

In Vanilla, its Wickerbottom, for no other reason than her tier 1 science.

It's Woodie or Max if it's mods, Woodie - Classic Curse, for a single player styled Woodie, since DST Woodie is essentially a different character, or Uncompromising Mode with the Maxwell changes on, since I added his old shadows back in, and I really don't like DST Maxwell's overly efficient, afk playstyle. (I wouldn't mention it if another mod added his old Shadows in).

What were the old shadows like?

42 minutes ago, Well-met said:

What were the old shadows like?

Maxwell's old shadows could chop, mine, and attack, but only once Maxwell started to.

Instead of crafting 1 shadow for 1 specific purpose, they had multiple purposes, and didn't just automatically start working without Maxwell taking action.

They had issues, but atleast you didn't have to craft duelists separately, and you didn't just afk to win.

I usually play Wolfgang because since most of my playtime is duo his damage comes in handy fighting off their dogs (and protecting glommer and chester from threats).

That said, him being a ball of stats feels cheesy and is a little too simple so I made a mod that mostly nerfs everything but damage and adds some strength based utility (such as carrying heavy items much better while mighty).

Also, I’m passionate about lifting weights in real life, which means I eat a lot more food than most other people.  Wolfgang’s hunger and love of lifting is relatable.

1 minute ago, Slagger said:

I really don't see any Walters in servers. Why people don't give a chance to him? I think he is good and funny for starters.

Walter is a death trap for newcomers: He starves after 1.5 days, his slingshot deals no damage at all and he gets punished extra for doing mistakes.

He's marked as Slim despite being Grim.

Willow main.

Sub-co-main: Wigfrid and Walter.

Willow is my default go-to in pubs. As I mainly nomad, I find her optimal to my particular play-style. She also is excellent for Mid-Winter/Mid-Summer start runs, Lights-Out and/or Only-Cave ones as well. Lighter and Bernie are mighty fine bons. Fire immunity, even if contextual, pretty handy too (quicker warm-ups beside burning trees in winter for example, cooking on Lava Ponds, taking on Enraged DF a.s.o.). Also her quote-based personality mirrors mine to a certain degree, aka foul mouthed cynic, with a popped cherry on top.

When I play >150 ping servers I switch to Wigfrid-main for obvious reasons. Her armor and fighting life-steal mitigates lag/rubberbanding. Of note is, with her Heartrending Ballad, one doesn't even need healing at all in most boss-fights if proficient enough. Oh, and I love to spam her carol singing in camps - I hear peeps at large love her voice, a true angelic blessing to the ears :listening_headphone

Walter is my go-to for relaxed runs and as support, when am feeling excessively lazy and have at least average-competent teams. His bird-farming "micro-transaction" with PK via morsels is quite the powerful, self-sustaining thing: 1 gold = 10 gold pellets = 10 morsels (if propitious RNG and not needing feathers) = 10 gold: I can fill fridges with morsels plus MM and chests full of g-nuggets. Not to mention the Krampi spawned in said bird-farm process: with only a minimal baiting setup, one can have a real shot at that 1% elusive Sack, danger free via snipe-kiting. But the core of it: tones of fun sniping stuff, getting aggro etc. With the obvious mention: don't get hit in return, more-so if not wearing armor. His "glass-cannon" sanity con when taking damage, like was stated in previous comments, is a death-trap for newbies/noobs/casual players (bulk player-base), Yet beneficial for advanced players NF farming. And, once more, if staying safe, full hp, Walter is optimal for cave runs.

I play Wurt for myself. I like her theme the most. She is the character I like to Lunar rush with.

I play Wendy for the group. I like that she's a monster at farming mobs safely and has a structure that's makes things easier for everyone. I play her when I want to contribute the most to the group. I feel also like she is the most flexible character.

I play Wormwood when I'm not sure how much time I want to put in or if I want to be left alone to laser focus on farming.

I main Webber and Warly when playing more relaxed, if I go to a pub I usually pick Wolfgang just have enough muscle to take on the world by myself if the people on the pub are not that friendly or play alone anyway.
I think I have mostly played Webber, since my days on DS,I've always found him a cute "Wilson" in the end, I don't use much of his spidery traits,I just like the character "lore" overall.
Warly cames as such a challenge that I fell in love with him, his animation also helped a lot with it, at first look in SW I didnt find him so appealing, even thought he was a bit mean with the food stuff, but when he came to DST, man oh man, Klei did such a wonderful character refresh, such a way to re-introduce a character,still my favorite animatic,makes you conect and want to play.

Huh a lot more people actually plays Woodie than I thought, but I figured Wendy would be a fav among many. Personally, I play Wukong from the Chinese Myth Words mod. Those people are really dedicated in making new contents for the mod and their characters!

As a basic b, I usually play Wigfrid or Wendy. I like fighting, but I don't care about food until I'm almost starving xD So Wolfgang is not for me. 

My third "main" is probably Wes, just because I like to mess around while looking absolutely fabulous and let's be real, his skins are smoking HOT!

Wes is the bes!

1 hour ago, EyeLemon said:

As a basic b,

just because you play wigfrid and wendy doesn't make you basic.it just means that you're another person to add to the group of people playing wendy or wigfrid(yeah im also basic:lol:)

1 hour ago, EyeLemon said:

My third "main" is probably Wes, just because I like to mess around while looking absolutely fabulous and let's be real, his skins are smoking HOT!

wes definitely has looks for a mute mime.wouldn't say hes "smoking HOT"but yeah he definitely has good looks:lol:

This is the thing I sometimes get bitter about. Any game with multiple characters I play is hard for me to find that one character that I could call a main. I don't know whether it's because I'm so indecisive or that I don't want to pigeonhole myself into one specific character or that I actually like to play many of them. Perhaps I just don't want to link myself emotionally with anything in particular?

Having said that, I find it hard to define the term main myself, as I probably don't have one.

Anyone interested in further (long) derivations is invited to the T-party in Spoiler :)

Spoiler

I checked almost half of them:

• Wendy
  • Wickerbottom
  • Wes
  • Maxwell
  • Wigfrid
  • Winona
  • Warly
  • Wormwood

A couple of years ago, when my friend introduced me to the game I fell in love with Wickerbottom - an intelligent, rigorous and well-mannered mature woman, who was probably my soul animal back then. My friend also played her the most, but picked Maxwell, so I could try her out.

She's always been my go-to in Don't Starve single player (I mean, she allows you to forget Nettles until you need them and then you can hoard them in one day for hundreds of days, making Hamlet her b****).

Unfortunately I find playing her quite blant, apart from her books, which I rarely use past some day, she has nothing special to offer in older worlds. Also whenever I play with friends someone wants to play her and as a veteran I won't take their choices. I consider her new-player-friendly, so it's better if they take her instead of WX-78, Woodie, Wes, Maxwell, Webber, Warly or Walter, as they all have worse drawbacks than the librarian. Also her perks are more significant and can be shown to my friends when they're ready.

Love the character, love her personality and appearance, love her voice sounds and her skins, but I would like her to have something unique regarding her game play, especially in older worlds. Also I'm always sad during Winter's Feast, but I guess someone has to bring the presents to the rest of survivors ;)

Later on I started playing Wigfrid, she was much easier to learn how to fight enemies, so the worlds wouldn't end on the night of 31 :D
As I grew older I also found more of her expressiveness in myself.

Playing her is much more effortless and enjoyable for me, than most of the rest of characters. She can easily regain stats, deals higher damage and has built in damage reduction, has low-cost decent gear (even Battle Spear is useful sometimes, because it has high durability and allows Wigfrid to deal 50+ dmg). With her Battle Helm shop and new collection of singles she's also welcomed in multiplayer.

Love the character, love personality, some of her skins are my all time favourites (The Triumphant), playing her is the most careless, convenient and comfortable for me and I actually find 120 hunger and sanity a bigger downside than being carnivorous.
On the other hand her voice might be annoying.

Maxwell was always somewhere around. I really enjoyed his ability to gather resources, his passive sanity regeneration makes you feel like the former king of constant that he is, because even if low sanity isn't that much of a problem for me anymore having saturated colors without effort makes the game experience much more pleasant. The other side of the coin is the fact that he has problems with farming Nightmare Fuel, his Shadow Duelists are trash honestly, his Shadow Workers don't find aesthetics even at the end of their importance list, so say goodbye to Glommer's Statue, Trees and Marble Trees you've left or planted for looks. Also his half of average health pool makes mistakes much more unforgivable, so playing alone is a risky business (most bosses one-shot him when you run out of armour or forget one).

Love the character, enjoy the personality, really like his voice sounds, his skins are very good (The Merrymaker), but I mostly pick him when I play with other people, so his flaws can be compensated by others when I need it. It's always great to have a Maxwell gathering logs, rocks and Ice for everyone.

Any time I tried Wendy before her update I had just one thought about her sister Abigail:

Abi was supposed to be her perk, THE PERK, and she was so damn utterly useless.
The rework and Quality of Life changes did wonders to her. It made Wendy playable and enjoyable as well as complex and quite strong. With proper preparations Abigail allows to easily rush Bee Queen and Dragonfly, she's amazing for casual playing and forgives most mistakes a player can possibly do. She can provide fighting power when you don't have weapon and armour and happen to be caught on Crabby Hermit's Island during Hound attack, she can distract enemies when you don't want to fight them, she can clear Frog Rains, she provides light in darkness, she's S tier for Caves and Ruins exploration and she's without a doubt the best character to learn the game with.

I never actively liked her personality, but I love her unique playstyle and how enjoyable she makes the game. She's also fabulous for newer players. Her voice sounds, albeit cohesive with her age and personality, are something I don't like to hear.

Winona is pretty boring, I guess it's a well established statement in the community. Her Structures are basically The Catapult. She makes killing bosses feel weird and sometimes not really fair. The fact that other survivors can use her Trusty Tape and refuel her Generators and G.E.M.erators puts her in switch-build-switch character category, because her other perks are too minute to make her worth playing and slower crafting while hungry is pretty annoying.

Nevertheless I love the character mostly because of her personality which combines attributes I value the most, so practicality, reliability, diligence and loyalty. I love her Roseate skin and her voice sounds. I'd like her to receive another update with love from Klei.

Warly is the character with so much raw potential while also making the game much harder with his strict diet. He brings many strong features to the game while making the player choosing him suffer.
Warly mains are martyrs of DST.

I don't really like his personality, voice sounds or appearance (although his Head Chef skin is THE SKIN), but I enjoy the challenge that playing him poses and its benefits.

Wormwood is a cutie and albeit harder to play he learns players how to restore health without food, which is a good knowledge to have. He has some fun special abilities, useful items and amazing possibilities to manage his Sanity.

Love the character, love his personality and appearance, love his didgeridoo voice sounds and his skins. His naive and simple quotes and special font are the leaves on the branch!

Wes is the icon and the mascot of Don't Starve in my opinion. He's much more likable than Wilson with his gross Beard 777.
Although not that enjoyable to play as the rest of the characters I've listed above (for me that is) he has a special place in my heart because of his pure soul, shyness and some of the best skins in game (even if I rarely play him I still enjoy to gather his skins).

I started playing DST because of my GF, and her main has always been Wigfrid. Because of her i came to really like playing Wigfrid and she was my first main.

Eventually I started liking Wendy too, even before her rework. Having abigail made the game a lot easier for me. After her rework i almost completely changed to Wendy main.

Though the Wigfrid playstyle made me take a while to start getting used to doing things like making good use of butterflies and mushrooms, and finding other armor sources, once i learned it (through playing wendy a lot) it opened up playing with other chars for me.

I mostly play with just either of those two, but on rare occasions i choose some other character for testing. Almost as rarely, when i get further into the game days (usually past 300 days) i change characters through the lunar portal.

In these longer running worlds I'd usually change to either Woodie for finding the lunar islands (i don't really like sailing) or Maxwell for gathering lots of wood. Regardless of what I'm playing i often switch to Wigfrid just for stockpiling helmets too. As for actual playing I've come to like switching to WX-78, as by then I'd usually have a stock of gears, living wood and purple gems (for overcharging myself).

There was this one time i went to solo DF as WX, and i had forgotten my pan flute. As i was overcharged and had lots of ruins gears, i could easily outrun the enraged DF. And while it was on its normal form, it was really easy to kite its attacks. Pretty nice experience.

Don't really have a main because I like playing a few characters

Wigfridge because she's fairly easy and helpful to the team, don't mind the bonus damage and armour too, haven't played her much since her rework though (not much dst + playing other characters). Having a character be passively better at combat makes it funner to fight things I guess.

Wormwood again helpful to the team, making actual use of seeds, bramble husk to get all the cacti in the world for free, although I'm hoping for more changes in the beta because right now it's not looking good for my plant boy :apologetic:

And Walter, because I've gotten pretty good and not getting hit by most enemies, so permeant full sanity for free feels soooo good. Never really fight bees or BQ unless in a group bug enough to just bully her (probably the boss that has resulted in the most team wipes for me) and while my sanity will get tanked fighting a lot of bosses, Walters super cheap tent brings it all back up.

Although I still feel the slingshot to be pretty lacking (most enemies will run up and hit you before you can get a shot in so it's real only use is aggro drawing). Lower hunger is something I dislike about him and wig because I always end up starving on my way back to base.

Honourable mention to Warly, Wortox and Wendy. 

Abby makes farming group mobs and even bigger threats stupid easy because she's the only character with access to reliable AOE damage.

Wortox because punching butterflies to eat is funny, his big downside is pretty much negated with a tam' o and he gives good motive to go out and kill stuff.

And Warlys just a fun challenge and change of pace, making me want to actually go out and collect different ingredients for more/ new food, although you can just eat meatballs and meatstew

Archived