For a game that is named "Don't Starve", food has little to no value. Meatballs and Pierogi need nerf.

The current state of the game is, the moment crockpot is up, everyone will be eating meatballs for the rest of their lives. You need heal? Make a cheap pierogi that both sates your hunger and heals a large portion of your health. And then there's meaty stew that doubles the value of your meat.

There are so many recipes in the game, we even have a character that excels in cooking, but he's not that popular because why would he? When you can just eat meatballs.

My suggestion is to nerf these 3 food items, so that other foods get a chance of being discovered and used. Right now u can put a monster meat + 3 pieces of ice for a meatball that is just too broken. I would suggest one of these:

• Invalidate monster meat as ingredient for these recipes.
  • Reduce the hunger and heal value. Meatballs should have the same hunger value as Kabobs, which is ~37. Pierogi also should have the same value as Trailmix, 12.5 hunger + 30 HP. Finally the meaty stew could sate a total of 120 hunger.

I just wish for this amazing aspect of the game to be valued more, not to be lost in the shadow of some OP recipes.

I haven't really played Warly much due to my lack of knowledge on the recipes in the game.  I know you can suit his food needs by stuffing him with two meaty stews every 2 days and be fine, but I think that sort of ruins his theme.

If meatballs/stew were nerfed, then that would ultimately push towards people to learn the other recipes.  Too much imbalance and it'll promote another 'king' food that everyone makes and neglects the rest.

But I think most of this lies with the current state of farming.  If it were more gorge-like, then I feel people wouldn't mind putting more variety into their dishes.  As it stands those ingredients are too time consuming to obtain for the payoff, especially when considering other food generating sources like bunnymen farms.

Also I saw these in my local grocer the other day:

Spoiler

image.png.dfc644f26408aedd1e556524b3a2d159.png

Perhaps leafy meat could make these?  Nothing like the taste of a meatless meatball.  Hmm, 'meat' as a word looks weird to me now.

No thank you.

CarlZalph raises some good points, and if these suggestions were to be added it would do nothing but make these food items simply useless and then other food items would become the new meta.

Alright cool, so Meatballs feed 37.5 hunger now. I'll just.... eat my ingredients raw?.... nothing really changed, and frankly honey is a lot better anyways. 40 days of spoilage, 9 hunger, and can be amassed very easily? Heck yeah.

Invalidating monster meat as an ingredient for these recipes would be very terrible too. It just makes gameplay less interesting and less creative. Being able to use monster meat, which is a dangerous food item on its own, to use an ingredient to cook safe food is good game design.

So yeah, I really do not want these changes.

In the beginning, the game is difficult, because you don't know anything about it
I never eat any of the foods you said and usually survive more than 1000 days, this game revolves around experience, after you learn the game you live anyway.
These crock pot recipes are for those who like to stay on the base and don't go out to do anything, just fix the base and make it look beautiful. The disadvantage is that you waste time, always preparing crock pot, you lose efficiency.

I never stay at the base, so I don't use crock pot, I say that with any character, I live hunting and looking for bosses, do everything possible in the game, I think each one has a different style of play, there are people who like to stay in base and others like to pack things up, others like to hunt.

(That's my opinion, everyone has theirs)

Honestly.. as long as butterflies and seeds dropped from birds exist.. it is pretty darn hard to “Starve” in this game unless your playing as Warly.. who I don’t find any fun at  all, but I suppose his “cooking” playstyle May appeal to some, I personally just find it boring.

Meatballs doesn’t need to be nerfed.. it just needs to require more than 1 small morsel or Monster Meat and 3 Ice.

Meatballs should ATLEAST require two sources of meat, otherwise it’s just One Single Spicy Meatball.

26 minutes ago, JackJohnsn said:

So far it exactly looks like what I've mentioned. "It's too easy and too good please don't make the game harder". Also there are no suggestions so far.

how it will be harder? just because meatballs and meat stew give less doesnt mean that you will die of starvation, what means is that you will grind more time for the same amount of stomach or make bigger meat farms

the game is called dont starve because the first look at the game is diying by charlie and not founding food because of the lack of expericen fighting and knowing recipes not because after 1000h you will keep diying of starvation

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

how it will be harder? just because meatballs and meat stew give less doesnt mean that you will die of starvation, what means is that you will grind more time for the same amount of stomach or make bigger meat farms

the game is called dont starve because the first look at the game is diying by charlie and not founding food because of the lack of expericen fighting and knowing recipes not because after 1000h you will keep diying of starvation

Just trying to bring up suggestion to improve the cooking concept of the game, just like every other top tier game tries to get rid of something that is repeated over and over and over, covering every other thing that is not as over-efficient as that.

When it required you to grind more time or make meat farm, it also bring up another idea for players to maybe look for alternative ways.

What I'm saying is that a single way of covering an aspect should not be superior to others.

6 minutes ago, JackJohnsn said:

Just trying to bring up suggestion to improve the cooking concept of the game, just like every other top tier game tries to get rid of something that is repeated over and over and over, covering every other thing that is not as over-efficient as that.

When it required you to grind more time or make meat farm, it also bring up another idea for players to maybe look for alternative ways.

What I'm saying is that a single way of covering an aspect should not be superior to others.

but just these recipes arent the problem. I didnt even use them for so long, in my last 100 hours (maybe more) i had only cook bacon and eggs and meat stew (brain lag) honey hams. There is a lot of recipes and even you can force yourself to dont eat the recipes that you consider op

meatballs are being useful in my 1st full year sw world because im so noob on it but when i will have experience i doubt that i will cook them. I can see the same happening to other new players that making a meatballs is a huge triumph surviving, making it harder will dont come with anything good

If you really wanted to nerf meatballs I would suggest adjusting the recipe to require 1.5x meats instead (IE: 1x monster meat, 1x morsel, and 2x berries for example). You would still make a bonus in hunger if you made it like this way, and it would be a very useful early-game recipe until you can make things like Honey Ham or Bacon and Eggs (of which use near similar recipes). Personally I would be against a change but I also believe an adjustment like this would still encourage you to make it in the beginning while also encouraging you to make different foods later on.

Furthermore I would like to mention how much of a bummer it is that Honey Ham requires 1.75x meats to make instead of 1.5x meats. This means that, at minimum, you would need 1x meat and 1x monster meat / 1x meat and 2x morsels to make. I know it's a small grievance, but I do prefer consistent values across recipes personally. 

15 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

If you really wanted to nerf meatballs I would suggest adjusting the recipe to require 1.5x meats instead (IE: 1x monster meat, 1x morsel, and 2x berries for example).

Nerf could also be this. It should ultimately reduce the efficiency of the item. My whole point is to balance/tweak/nerf these foods to encourage players to learn and cook other foods, and come up with less copy/pasta food farming methods.

Warly is in a very bad place now ( i hate him nonetheless haha ) because what he does best, is not important.

There’s a bunch of different ways to effectively not starve in this game.. I’ve managed to live off nothing but ice And literally whatever I could find naturally growing as Wurt before..

If your not playing as Wurt you can always just eat eggs from your imprisoned Bird in a Bird Cage. 

eh, it isn't that those are op foods, honestly in early game or playing as a character with a high hunger they are really important and do enough to keep the character on the black, so to speak, the issue is that people want something fast and easy and right now those are all pretty low-effort foods. what might help is having other options that are just as fast and easy and have a higher return than the sum of their parts(looking at you fistful of jam & waffles). having ALL crock-pot foods give back as much or more than their ingredients(be it health, hunger, sanity or shelf-life) would increase their value to players and if harder-to-acquire foods had notable benefits(+30 of something over raw or a +15 day expiatory date) across the board then they would be more desirable, as it stands aside from honey and dairy recipes you are just as likely to get a recipe that wasn't worth the cumulative time to gather and cook as you are to get one that will save you time because you didn't have to make something else

tldr? don't nerf those foods, give people a reason to want to cook other stuff. also i would bet cash money that if warly got +5 sanity for every dish he made(regardless of if he eats it) there would be an uptick in people playing him. he'd get the bonus of a flower and would move a little closer to being like wigfried with her helmet exchange program

It's not about 'This and that item needs nerfing'. The entire mechanic needs a rework. If it's to be interesting and more complocated. And that appllies to many things that have existed since singleplayer.

But of course 'nEw PLaYerS' won't allow that, will they?

12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

It's not about 'This and that item needs nerfing'. The entire mechanic needs a rework. If it's to be interesting and more complocated. And that appllies to many things that have existed since singleplayer.

But of course 'nEw PLaYerS' won't allow that, will they?

I can’t say that I blame those new players, if I bought a game.. knew the game I bought, enjoyed the game I bought and then next thing you know the game I bought is changed so much it’s either A: Unrecognizable to Me or B: Made more complicated to the point that I literally can’t even play it anymore, I would be rightfully and deservedly Pissed Off..

And that’s something those of you wanting to see drastic changes to this game just don’t seem to grasp the concept of.. 

Unrelated to DST but incredibly relative to the topic I just brought up Rant In Spoiler-

Spoiler

When Apex Legends first released I LOVED it, I quickly picked up and Main’d playing as Wraith, There has been 6 Seasons since Wraith was added and I’m not exaggerating every season Wraith has been nerfed a little more.. and a little more.. and a little more, Until FINALLY Wraith has fallen drastically out of favor- Any Wraith Main (A True Wraith Main like Myself) can easily see how OTHER LEGENDS now do her job more effectively than she can thanks to all her nerfs.. 

Dont Believe Me? Wraiths Job used to be to teleport her team from point A to Point B over long distances, this Distance was shortened significantly as part of her most recent nerf.. but the BUFFED Octane allowing him to Run twice as Fast and for him and his Teammates to Double jump of his Jump Pads covering more distance in getting Octanes team from Point A to Point B then Wraith ever could.

Any True Wraith Main will see this and just pick Octane... because everything she USED TO DO Octane now does more effectively.

i paid my hard earned money for SEVERAL Wraith skins... and now she’s barely playable to me.

The above Spoiler is the EXACT SAME Situation your trying to force DST into.. when there should be dedicated difficulty settings, or server menu options that let YOU change these things... but doesn’t make the product someone already bought and enjoys, unenjoyable.

You have to admit tho that while there isn't a good solution for it most things in dst are there for the sake of being there most crockpot recipes and craftables are only going to be used for the sake of flexing or not knowing any better heck most of the better craftables just like crockpot recipes are far easier to make than their counterparts.

I don't remember the last time I cooked meatballs in this game. If you nerf meatballs, the only people who will suffer are new players. The vets will be annoyed by the premise of the update but ultimately, it won't affect them. 

If u want more of a challenge, i'll raise u a suggestion: New character who is unable to eat crock foods. Boom. Have a good 2020

9 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I don't remember the last time I cooked meatballs in this game. If you nerf meatballs, the only people who will suffer are new players. The vets will be annoyed by the premise of the update but ultimately, it won't affect them. 

If u want more of a challenge, i'll raise u a suggestion: New character who is unable to eat crock foods. Boom. Have a good 2020

i dunno, you can live reasonably without a crockpot once you get the idea that all food is worth collecting and no food is to be snubbed or worth chewing through a substantial part of your day

Archived