What would you do....

...If a Thirst Meter was added to the game?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Reactions!

• Happy
    • Sad
    • Mad
    • Big Ups
    • Other [specify in a post]

I recall the days in which I would constantly play with thirst mods in DS, they were neat I suppose, but I don't think they really added too much to the overall gameplay loop. 

How would you feel if such things as a thirst meter were added into the game? Do you think such a thing could be added tastefully?

Thirst is always boring in every game it's in. It's refilled like hunger, and drained like hunger, but exists alongside hunger for some reason. The only thirst I need in Don't Starve is a thirst for the blood of Dragonfly, which I already have.

Thirst mechanics have ALWAYS been annoying to me in any game I’ve ever played that had them.. Ark Survival, 7 Days to Die, Atlas, it only brings one more thing to the game you have to manage..

And in Ark when it rains or going to nearest ocean fixes thirst easy.

In 7 days to die you had to at least BOIL water before drinking it.. but even that was Gimmicky at best. 

In DST... your character could just go to the ocean or wait till the never ending rainfall of spring, meaning thirst would only EVER be a problem when deep down inside caves past the underground ponds and way down deep in ruins area content.

In my opinion and having a lot of experience with thirst in a lot of other games: It’s just no fun.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Thirst mechanics have ALWAYS been annoying to me in any game I’ve ever played that had them.. Ark Survival, 7 Days to Die, Atlas, it only brings one more thing to the game you have to manage..

And in Ark when it rains or going to nearest ocean fixes thirst easy.

In 7 days to die you had to at least BOIL water before drinking it.. but even that was Gimmicky at best. 

In DST... your character could just go to the ocean or wait till the never ending rainfall of spring, meaning thirst would only EVER be a problem when deep down inside caves past the underground ponds and way down deep in ruins area content.

In my opinion and having a lot of experience with thirst in a lot of other games: It’s just no fun.

have you ever played Stranded II? It's a pretty old computer game but the important part is that it had a thirst meter & a hunger meter. In that, among simply having drinks and water, lot of the food that you consumed gave thirst along with hunger, and sometimes even detracted from thirst. I feel like out of all instances of thirst in video games that was probably my favorite implementation, because you didn't really have to focus on thirst too much but it still felt like a good addition. 

The reason I bring that up is because I feel like there's something to learn from all of the versions of a thirst meter that you brought up. What do you think you could do to a thirst system in dst to make it at least more tolerable?

Well.. If it was up to me I would borrow heavily from 7 days to die & Ark- 

By allowing you to use pearls empty message bottles to gather water inside, simply go to ocean (or scoop snow up during winter or manually fill in spring rains) and just like the canteen in ark fill it up.. except.. I would ALSO bring in 7 days to Dies boiling mechanic.. so you’d have to fill empty message Jar with water, and then boil the contamination’s out by dropping your Water jar near a campfire..

IF KLEI Wanted to get Overly complicated with that it could borrow the mechanics of hatching a Tallbird egg, if it gets too hot the glass shatters, but if you COOL the Water after boiling it.. by means of storing in fridge or by using Endothermic Fire, then “Cold Water” Would fill up more thirst then just drinking regular water and give you some Extra stats till you start getting thirsty again.

At least that’s what I would do with it.. and it’s what I would expect Ogrecakes to add to His Uncompromising Mod. 

But idk.. ya know? I’m no game designer, I just come up with ideas like throwing darts into a dart board and hope they stick somewhere. 

Hunger and thirst are the basics in any kind of survival. Many people here are asking for more survival aspects. So why not ?

"boring" ? Well if you give me a new crafting station for drinks, few new ingredients, so not only for simple water but it could lead to few special potions, I wouldn't say no.

"Survival", you remember ? "where is the survival in the uncompromising" ? In the basics first, maybe ?

I'm actually trying Fallout 76, whatever we think about this game, and thirst is a big part. It's not easy at the beginning to have clean water, but we have food recipes for hunger and thirst at the same time, like soup. Saying it's boring seems like... a false state ? Is it boring as chopin trees ? Going for grass ? Making food recipes ?

With a new station, new ingredients, new recipes, new effects, I would sign for, and everybody should. It would have to be really complete, a total crafting system. 

This late in DS/T's life I doubt any official thirst mechanic/meter would ever be implemented. For it to have a somewhat logical purpose in game context would need an adequate setting: like a very hot biome or some global excessively harsh summer sand-storm. Else would seem redundant, only cluttering current character stats just because. In such a line of thought, why not have an obligatory sleep meter or a defecation one (where is all that food going?), eh?! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

In such a line of thought, why not have an obligatory sleep meter or a defecation one (where is all that food going?), eh?! :rolleyes:

The duo hunger/thirst is not such excessive. 

I'd add dirt meter for shower.

Well just adding a new hunger meter for the sake of it would be tedious and pointless but I'd actually be in favor of an intricate addition to the hunger meter like Thirst or Hydration gauge if it would play second fiddle to hunger, working to make the hunger mechanics more sophisticated than stuffing your face every now and then. Think of a mini rectangular Hydro gauge next to Hunger. Your hydration levels could alter your hunger rate, with fully filled hydration slowing down your hunger drain, average levels maintaining the regular rate and almost fully drained hydration gauge speeding up your hunger meter.

In order not to be too intrusive at this stage of DST's development, eating foods regularly should also fill Hydration to a bare minimum that won't cause faster draining. However similar to warly's repeated food mechanics, eating food in a close time window repeatedly would give very diminishing Hydration returns, preventing players from filling it up to high levels with Foods only. Additionally this could help nerf binge eating tactics, as at some point eating like four pieroggies in a short span without drinking anything could start draining your hydration and become even harmful. To negate that, a "drinks" mechanic would be added, letting you craft buckets to fill freshwater from lakes or saltwater for desalinization in a new science structure. Additionally a drinks bar structure from foods tab could unlock new Drink recipes like tea, coffee, infusions, soda, wine and vodka that would interact with the hydration gauge and grant various effects like slower hydration drainage, some drainage in exchange for sanity, dishes filling more hunger etc. Other sources of hydration could include eating ice or filling a bucket in rain.

As such, I wouldn't want a full independent Thirst meter just as another obstacle but I'd love some good, well thought out hydration mechanics that would reward you for engaging with them and ad more dimensions to the gameplay

I have no problem with it as long as it’s a deep and interesting mechanic added to the game.. but if it’s something that’s easily thrown aside- it just becomes yet another meter you need to manage.

For example: if Shipwrecked Coconuts were to be added to the game, Coconuts would obviously provide thirst, or well basically any other fruit, Apple, Pineapple, Orange, Juicy Berry.. 

My point is that unless Thirst required serious care- Then just like people do on Ark Survival Evolved they will carry around a stack of berries to satisfy the boring “Thirst” mechanic altogether.

And if we’re going to get ANY new meters we need to manage... well I practically live on State of Decay 2 and Blood Plague is a serious and life threatening Meter you have to maintain (at least on any difficulty higher than standard it is...) so how about we get Shipwrecked/Hamlet Poison meters, or I don’t know a SoD inspired infection meter?

Practically ANYTHING BESIDES THIRST Thanks. <3

On 8/6/2020 at 6:07 AM, Szczuku said:

People here hate the idea that new content could be an inconvenience to them.

So don't even bother making threads with mechanics like this

The problem isn't that it would be inconvenient, the problem is that in a majority of games where Thirst is, at least from the ones I've played, they're just hunger 2: electric boogaloo and don't make any major gameplay changes.

I'm all for new challenges but giving me a second hunger meter ain't doing it :[ If it's anything like @SinacoTheBest described it, I'd be all for it, but ya can't really blame people when they're just given the question "Would you be happy if they added thirst?" with no other context and they dislike it and instead expect 'em to be all over the idea.

Though I don't know, maybe that's just me. Shrug

8 hours ago, Mattyington said:

(snip)

Nah, folks here don't like inconveniences. They like big and flashy content. If you'd suggest any new mechanic regarding a character you'd be hit with the 'It's just x but slifhtly different' or 'The game's already hard enough for the new players'

In fact I'm certain that if enlightement was suggested b4 lunar islands were a thing people would say that they wouldn't want it cuz it's just sanity 2.

But alright that's a topic for a different thread.

I would accept thirst only if it wouldn't be too... punishing? Maybe they could add an option to add it or not in a game? Most games that I played that had the thirst mechanic just made me hate it, but adding drinkable water could be fun (and it could influence temperature too and stuff)

Anyway, I would cry in despair, I have my hands full with hunger as it is

Archived