[Poll] On the August QoL Update

dream has 100000000 IQ is2G  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What issues do you think should the August QoL rework address??

• Disease fix (e.g. cure)
    • Farming tweaks (e.g. reduced farm costs, increased birdcage seed drops, etc)
    • Skin/Character model fixes (e.g. hats not fitting on certain characters, etc)
    • Ineffective Item (e.g. Rabbit Earmuffs, Bat bat, Cat Tail derivatives, Night Light, Morning Star, etc.) Buffs
    • Worldgen tweaks (Archipelago generation, etc)
    • Graphical fixes (e.g. Sanity Monster visibility)
    • More Skins
    • Beef Taming Tweaks (e.g. reduced taming time, milking beefs, etc)
    • Tweaks that add a nice little amount of detail ingame
    • More Worldgen Options
    • Performance Improvement (e.g. lag fixes, ground item auto stacking)
    • Structure improvements (e.g. refillable salt licks, ability to take items out of potter's table and scale-o-matic)
    • Menu improvements (e.g. a more detailed Shop UI)
    • Preset options (e.g. mod presets, worldgen presets)
    • Creature tweaks
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

31 minutes ago, gaymime said:

i'm actually serious. your idea wasn't one that was beneficial to other people and was a detriment to play. i said that there was no harm in letting people choose how they played. your reply was that other people had to suffer to make your play more fun for you personally because letting them choose how they play still made your game less difficult. i said that still is enforcing your will on strangers and taking away from their fun and you decided to call that trolling. at no point have i stopped being serious you've just not said anything to justify your position and are now being fussy

You conpletely ignored my arguements.

You stated that I shouldnt try and force people to play my way, meanwhile people who are chosing to cheat are forcing ME to benefit off of their cheating.

My only two conclusions are that you are just messing with me, or sre completely ignoring what im saying, while feeding me points on a silver platter which directly counter your own arguements.

Im so sick of people making baseless assumptions, or reading one random sentence and basing a counter point off that.

If you genuinely believe that abusing unintended issues for an advantage, which is to the forced detriment of players who arent cheating, is a good thing... well, then you just dont have the games best interests at heart.

If I came into one of your games, cheated to spawn a bunch of items in, is that not to the detriment of every other player? But its all fun and games right? The game let me abuse it so I can cheat for an advantage, but its okay because despite giving everyone godmode, its my choice right, and its unfair for them to say otherwise, right?

I could easily cheat the game this way, its very easy, but anyone would be a fool to claim its okay.

I would be abusing unintended mechanics and features in a way that others could not ignore, in the same way people are doing that to me when they cheat threats out of the game.

1 minute ago, KeshS said:

I know good players just kill deerclops because it is more annoying than anything and it is better of dead. People just leave the eyeball in chest and basically forget about it. Spring is fairly trivial.

Babysitting bases is not a good gameplay either, since there are special stuff that only appear in summer and requires to leave a base. Developing chronic paranoia for potential wildfires is not good for my heart.

But my man (or woman), these are merely just additional options my friend.. strictly for when you host your own worlds so you can have people join your game and play by the rules you have applied. 

Im pretty sure NONE of the stuff I’ve ever asked Klei for would effect a public server (which Xbox doesn’t have but that’s besides the point..) Think of it as a “Your World, Your Rules” type of thing..

Can players build Birdcage and feed MM to caged bird for free infinite supply of endless eggs to survive on? Yes/No.

Does eating food heal the player? Yes/No

Things that should exist and we should have full control over without needing to use Mods.

Im pretty sure before joining someone’s world you can see a list of all the world changes they have applied-

For example thanks to the LAST QoL update where I can Randomize Weather Season and Season Length, if you EVER join any worlds I’m hosting.... expect the seasons to be unpredictable mad chaos.

And I Want more of that!

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But my man (or woman), these are merely just additional options my friend.. strictly for when you host your own worlds so you can have people join your game and play by the rules you have applied. 

Im pretty sure NONE of the stuff I’ve ever asked Klei for would effect a public server (which Xbox doesn’t have but that’s besides the point..) Think of it as a “Your World, Your Rules” type of thing..

Can players build Birdcage and feed MM to caged bird for free infinite supply of endless eggs to survive on? Yes/No.

Things that should exist and we should have full control over without needing to use Mods.

Im pretty sure before joining someone’s world you can see a list of all the world changes they have applied-

For example thanks to the LAST QoL update where I can Randomize Weather Season and Season Length, if you EVER join any worlds I’m hosting.... expect the seasons to be unpredictable mad chaos.

And I Want more of that!

More fun optional challenges could be a great idea, he posibilities are endless.

The only problem is that with too many intricate options it could be difficult to find online server hat meets your exact preference.

Could often lead to a "all or nothing" split in the community.

Options are good, but too many can be a detriment.

Though, I guess that already kinda exists with the current world gen options...

Spoiler

And I Want more of that!

Fair enough. You play how you want and set your rules on your server. Just don't influence the pubs with "how it should be played right". 

If I did something illegal on your server I would sure be banned. Then if you get accustomed to your playstyle and come to pubs, you watch the complete "chaos" in the game and start dictating your way of playing, isn't that the same thing?

At the end, majority dictates how the pubs are played, even if the decision is totally stupid, it's still their decision. For people that can't accept such order play private or create special rules safe havens and I have nothing wrong with either option.

53 minutes ago, gaymime said:

i don't see any reason not to add more togglable options to world gen. i do wonder how much extra coding would need to go into consumables and bosses though?

A lot... like a whooooollllleee lot.. I’m no game designer, but I think it would take a lot of time and work to overhaul the toggles menu, (especially if they did it by the depths I am hoping for) which is why I do not realistically see this coming ANYTIME soon, definitely not with the upcoming August QoL update.. but it could very possibly be something we see slowly tweaked over time like they’re currently doing with each Return of Them Update.

I would like to see things like-

Butterflies- Heals Only Health, Heals Only Hunger, Purely Cosmetic.

something like the above toggle options give us TONS of control over how we and other people who play with us play our worlds, but it’s also something that will most likely require a ton of extra coding on Klei’s side. 

You can visually see these things between DS, DS Shipwrecked, DS Hamlet and DST.

For Example- Despite being called TALL GRASS Grass in Hamlet burns for an incredibly noticeable shorter time frame then grass burns in DST.

How and WHY this is important is because I’m not ashamed to admit that I often “cheat” nights by burning a single standing blade of grass to save torch durability.

Something I TRIED Doing in my first run with Hamlet and ended up dying, was also pretty surprised to see that I needed a Machete to even harvest said grass making that one Torch and single blade of grass even more important.

But the TL:DR- Imagine being able to choose if that single blade of grass you burned burns at DST speeds lasting you a whole night at times or at Hamlet speeds a few seconds and then uh oh your dead!.

———————————
I’ll just cut directly to my point and save everyone a ton of time trying to explain WHY this is a good move for the game franchise.

I do not want to have to be bound to playing as a particular character in order to enjoy the challenges that playing as that character provides by default- Wormwood as my Example.. he can eat Butterflies.. but they do not heal his Health point values. 

Why can’t I have that added challenge applied to my entire Server I’m hosting, so I can still enjoy playing as Wendy.. but with Wormwood style Health challenges?

———————————

Yes.. yes this type of stuff would require a TON of coding and may even ultimately not even be worth it in the end. But if at all possible- it’s something I would greatly appreciate having someday.

a separate volume option for lowering insanity sounds and not having insanity sounds merged with ambient sound which muting that makes the game much worse when you don't hear the nature sounds

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe I don’t want to spend 3 hours fighting one Boss. 

This, this is what I want more than anything else in this update, I want to be able to fight klaus and bee queen without having to get 5 other people to help me with, I want health to be adjusted per player and not just one for all, obviously a toggable option, but still, that and possibly mod support would make this game so much more better for me

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

*snip*

OK, so I've read through your argument and it doesn't make any sense, there is a humongous difference between giving yourself god mode and cheesing the guardian, although it is easier, it's still a challenge and a time sink to put in

I really understand where you're coming from but there isn't an option here that will make everyone happy. 

And I really don't understand why you're saying that they're forcing you to benifit? 

I mean, when I play don't starve, I don't always want to play hard mode death 24/7, so sometimes I set autumn to long and days to long and relax and have fun, and I want to reap the rewards without too much effort, but other times, I do want to fight every boss with no cheeses, but removing one option would extremely harm the other. 

I respect where you're coming from, but this can't be easily fixed. 

4 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Okay, counter point, pub games are ruined for me because people are killing end game bosses in the first 5 days by using cheese tactics, obtaining end game items, becoming massively overpowered and trivializing the game, meaning that even by being around the people who abuse these glitches I am benefitting.

Its only slightly slower to kill AG without cheese.  Just pick wolfgang and dodge for a few minutes instead of holding F.  The ruins can be rushed regardless.  Deleting the collision with graves and pillars won't give you AG rights.  It just means people are even more dependent on picking Wolfgang regardless of their actual character of choice.  If you want them rushed a specific way, maybe you should be the one rushing them?

Had a similar thread opened a while back about people upset that the ruins are rushed because they couldn't come back and do them like 6 hours later...  Like its a pub game.  A lot of people are going to do what they want.  Not everyone is going to pick Wolfgang, some people are going to hammer pig houses or dig mushrooms, some people are going to burn down trees or kill beefalos.  All of this can happen without any griefing or ill intentions.  If you feel the need to control the entire world and do everything your way, play solo?  I do.  I like playing the game solo largly because I like being the one who is doing everything.  That isn't something I can rightly ask in a pub game though lol

Am I supposed to just break the campfires when people are doing the firepit deerclops method? Oh, well, I tried to help in the fight, ruining the cheese, and got banned. Or I just stand by and dont participate, meaning thats one less threat to worry about, because someone else used cheese methods.

Wait, did you really do this?

Ill just not participate in the gsme because people are cheating.

Dont ban the racist aim bots in tf2, they enjoy it, and pub games dont matter, I should just not cheat like they do, and just enjoy the game. 

4 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

You genuinely went with the "if people want cheat, let them cheat" response, at the cost of other players experience?

I think you confuse cheat and cheese, and for that matter I think you confuse playing the game any way other than your ordained 'one true method' with cheese.  To start with cheating is actually breaking the rules of the game.  Cheese is exploiting the rules to perhaps their unintended effect, but by no means is it breaking them.  Meanwhile an aimbot is actually breaking rules.  No one is using an aimbot to beat AG.  Everything they use to beat AG is built right into the game.  Maybe you disagree with the direction of development, that's okay I do sometimes too.  Its okay to disagree...  but griefing over a disagreement is eh...  I mean when I make an oven to bake bee queen first autumn without even making a weapon I'll admit that's cheese.  But you're srsly name dropping firepits as the "cheese method" for deerclops lol  Not even on tentacles or tree guards lol

I think this list is a very good start at expressing the many QoL changes that everyone is hoping for. As for me, I (if absolutely nothing else) really want a farming rework. Growing crops are pretty tedious to cultivate and to turn a profit; plus I think a rework would benefit Warly in such huge ways.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

yeah, if that is the case i can see why it wouldn't be implemented. it is shame since togglable options would save a fair bit of heartache for some people(even if it is simple personal ones like turning off warnings or increasing the number of spawns when your sanity is down)

Outside of the toggle options.. (Which I’ve covered more than enough I hope.)

another update I would love to see done to the game Is a (mostly) Visual one.. no I don’t mean like improving the graphics on items and stuff I mean.. if you guys play Hamlet.. there are a lot of additional tiny details here and there that make that world feel more alive then DST.

Things like seeing purely cosmetic tiny plants and flowers, you can’t touch, pluck or otherwise interact with at all but they make those otherwise flat long boring stretches of emptiness feel more lively..

Which I strongly feel like is also the problem with DST’s Ocean Content.. we should see stuff out there like bubbles, ripples, small waves crashing against rocks, Seagulls swooping down into the water causing a small splash ripping fish out of the water and eating them, Shadows of creatures that appear under the water, like StinkRay or Electric Eel..  

These can spawn as actual mobs you can interact with.. Elsewhere.. But for THIS particular idea they are purely to bring the otherwise empty flat areas of land to feeling more lively.

Hamlet has Piko squirrels that you see scurrying up and down trees, while these are NOT purely cosmetic and can be killed for Small Morsel.. It’s things like this that I would like to see.

it may not be possible on PS4 & Xbox One, but going forward on PS5 or Xbox Series X.. it’s small details like this that would be the defining factor in rather i Rebuy the game on the newer console.. or just continue playing the version I already have.

Which I strongly feel like is also the problem with DST’s Ocean Content.. we should see stuff out there like bubbles, ripples, small waves crashing against rocks, Seagulls swooping down into the water causing a small splash ripping fish out of the water and eating them, Shadows of creatures that appear under the water, like StinkRay or Electric Eel..  

This 100%. I think the ocean needs this asap before land though. If we're gonna have to slowly sail to places, it would be nice if the ocean would have some cool sights to see while we're sailing; small details like these do not go unnoticed and really help liven things up!

Regarding cheeses- if you think Klei isn't aware of these methods that people use to kill difficult bosses, you're obviously mistaken. Stuff like Walter not losing sanity from night armor or using the ends well to farm infinite oincs has been patched out because Klei found out about it and decided it was important for the game's balance to remove them. The other side of that coin is- Klei has known about stuff like the lureplant fuelweaver method, the ag grave cheese, and whatnot for years and hasn't patched them out. They might not actively encourage or explain how to do it to players, and may indeed even disapprove of the idea, but the fact that they've been left in kind of demonstrates that they don't want to take the option away from players. 

I'm just bothered by the items you labeled as Ineffective, specifically Bat Bat, Tail o'cats and morning star. All 3 of them are extremely effective for their purpose.

and the fact that the option is tied for second in the poll makes me think that a lot of the voters either don't know how to use those items properly, or are thinking of other items when they voted, but i doubt that.

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

I'm just bothered by the items you labeled as Ineffective, specifically Bat Bat, Tail o'cats and morning star. All 3 of them are extremely effective for their purpose.

Yeah they can be really strong but their recipes are so overpriced. 5 wings for Bat Bat and 3 spots for Tail of Three Cats hardly pay off. If we get some tweak to those recipes they can be used more. 

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

and the fact that the option is tied for second in the poll makes me think that a lot of the voters either don't know how to use those items properly, or are thinking of other items when they voted, but i doubt that.

Personally I have observed that said items have had QoL suggestions aimed to improve them. Furthermore I normally do not see people advocating their effectiveness. They could be treated much like improved farms - too much resources to much decreased gain.

7 hours ago, psychotwilight said:

Regarding cheeses- if you think Klei isn't aware of these methods that people use to kill difficult bosses, you're obviously mistaken. Stuff like Walter not losing sanity from night armor or using the ends well to farm infinite oincs has been patched out because Klei found out about it and decided it was important for the game's balance to remove them. The other side of that coin is- Klei has known about stuff like the lureplant fuelweaver method, the ag grave cheese, and whatnot for years and hasn't patched them out. They might not actively encourage or explain how to do it to players, and may indeed even disapprove of the idea, but the fact that they've been left in kind of demonstrates that they don't want to take the option away from players. 

They didnt patch them because of how will burn the forums with angry players when is a bad desing but they prefer happy people than a solid game

I thought this thread was about QoL suggestion, why is there so much debate about cheat and cheese

Anyway, I will echo 2 of my QoL wish from another thread here:

•  Player profile: have slot to save the player profile presets (just like character clothing preset)
  •  A cook book: not necessarily an in-game tab or item, this could just be another tab in the "Item collection" screen. This could show the statistic of what type of meal the player have cooked and its recipe. This will surely help the new player as they learn the game, and the veteran can get some extra self-made goal to strive for

The original Player QoL Wishlist thread:

Spoiler

@GetNerfedOn

I think this poll isn't gonna give a lot of good results tbh... it needs a bit of focus cuz there are simply too many options... maybe compress into 5 to 6 categories? like world building, cosmetics (including skins, visual improvements), general performance and lag issues, etc...

then you can add specifics of each categories with subsequent questions to narrow it down

20 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

..pub games are ruined for me because people are killing end game bosses in the first 5 days by using cheese tactics, obtaining end game items, becoming massively overpowered and trivializing the game, meaning that even by being around the people who abuse these glitches I am benefitting.

While in theory pub games (the official KLei vanilla Survival variety - because that's bulk of developer-maintained servers out there) should be a place for any and all, where collaboration is of essence (they are Co-Op designated pubs in game's "Together" spirit) and communication the base, in practice they are anything but mentioned above. Thus bare in mind playing pubs you submit yourself to a quite hectic environment full of newbies/noobs/casuals, trolls & griefers, and your expectations should be at an all-times-low: be prepared for all types of shenanigans. Accept these are fleeting experiences covering in majority of server iterations at most 1st Autumn and Winter. Consequently, aside hoarding of resources and griefing, take into account advanced players will rush game-aspects, and will do so using "cheese" (as in rushing mindsets these make more sense as are efficient time-wise). We can all go back-and-forth regarding what we believe is "cheese", yet in your case seems you are quite the purist (in game mechanics sense) and adhere to a basic kite-fighting without any other tactic aside some armor (Log Suit/Football Helmet) and a weapon (Spear/Ham Bat). Taking all these into account for you would be best to avoid pub games of any sort and stick to personal servers and/or servers hosted by like-minded friends/acquaintances where you do things the perceived "legit" way as per your game-play preferences.

Am I supposed to just break the campfires when people are doing the firepit deerclops method? Oh, well, I tried to help in the fight, ruining the cheese, and got banned. Or I just stand by and dont participate, meaning thats one less threat to worry about, because someone else used cheese methods.

As stated, communication is the base: do tell people what you expect them to do, while conceding their right to decline your proposals. And if you disagree, "the majority's rule" prevails: finding yourself in minority of opinion and not willing to compromise, best is to leave said server. Because what you describe doing is plain griefing - trying to impose by force your play-style on other people while back-stabbing them in a theoretical vulnerable moment. Not to mention placing a roaring campfire for heat while tanking Deerclops is a most-valid method of efficiently disposing of Winter giant's threat (uses base-game mechanics of heat-cold control measures).

Ill just not participate in the gsme because people are cheating.

Dont ban the racist aim bots in tf2, they enjoy it, and pub games dont matter, I should just not cheat like they do, and just enjoy the game. 

Exactly. Don't participate and best, don't use pub servers. Stick to what you fancy in relation to your subjective assessments of what game should be to have a pleasant personal experience. And don't forget: this is not a competitive game. Only certain people choose to go at it in a competitive matter if that's their goal, but then they shouldn't be vexed if things didn't go their proverbial way. Also don't try to impose your play-style as something everyone should go with. Pub games are about compromise.

6 hours ago, BeeClops said:

Is more about their costs. For example 3x Tentacle Spots for a Tail o' is pretty expensive considering only 2 Spots are basically 0.4/1 of a basic BQ Tentacle farm. Tail o' is more of a fun weapon, not even comparing to a Bundling Wraps bp, BQ Crown and 6x Royal Jelly. What you think will take priority efficiency-wise?

As for OP, my main August's QoL update desires are on the Ineffective Items lane for now.

Archived