[Poll] On the August QoL Update

dream has 100000000 IQ is2G  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What issues do you think should the August QoL rework address??

• Disease fix (e.g. cure)
    • Farming tweaks (e.g. reduced farm costs, increased birdcage seed drops, etc)
    • Skin/Character model fixes (e.g. hats not fitting on certain characters, etc)
    • Ineffective Item (e.g. Rabbit Earmuffs, Bat bat, Cat Tail derivatives, Night Light, Morning Star, etc.) Buffs
    • Worldgen tweaks (Archipelago generation, etc)
    • Graphical fixes (e.g. Sanity Monster visibility)
    • More Skins
    • Beef Taming Tweaks (e.g. reduced taming time, milking beefs, etc)
    • Tweaks that add a nice little amount of detail ingame
    • More Worldgen Options
    • Performance Improvement (e.g. lag fixes, ground item auto stacking)
    • Structure improvements (e.g. refillable salt licks, ability to take items out of potter's table and scale-o-matic)
    • Menu improvements (e.g. a more detailed Shop UI)
    • Preset options (e.g. mod presets, worldgen presets)
    • Creature tweaks
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

They didnt patch them because of how will burn the forums with angry players when is a bad desing but they prefer happy people than a solid game

It really has less to do with angry players than the fact that DST is a sandbox game.  It kinda has to be in order to support the multiplayer aspect.  People are going to join the game in bad seasons, and people are going to have mixed levels of experience.  Some people are going to join a new world, play for 2 hours and never see that world again.  This is why Klei made so many boss fights a choice you make, because joining a server and getting assaulted by dragonfly when you're just trying to get a whirly fan and some berries before everything around you ignites isn't a good game experience.  Neither is never being able to fight a certain boss because you can't play 6 hours straight.  Klei does a lot of this on the back end too.  You won't get a hound attack unless you've been on the server long enough to warrant your own attack, and it will scale based on how long you've been on the server regardless of server age.  Similarly deerclops and bearger will weight their spawn priority based on the age of the players in the game.  If you just joined a game in winter and you're setting trees on fire to stay warm while you get your first few resources the game isn't going to sick deerclops on you.

Sandbox games aren't just adventure fight simulators.  Yes you can adventure fight your way through them, but the reason they are called sandboxes is that there are often unusual ways of playing in them, and a lot is left up to the player to decide.  Emergent gameplay is intended by the developers.  Never in DST does the game tell you "make a weapon to fight off enemies."  If you want to build a mega base, play without weapons, cave base, sea base, build automated structures to provide supplies, or whatever you can because its up to you what you do.  If you want to restrict yourself to weapons and insist on dodging every attack you can even when tanking/trading is more efficient that's your call too.  I'm not going to invade someone else setting up to "Legit fight" bee queen, but I'm also not going to hold back from killing her with my preferred method when I join a server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergent_gameplay

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

It really has less to do with angry players than the fact that DST is a sandbox game.  It kinda has to be in order to support the multiplayer aspect.  People are going to join the game in bad seasons, and people are going to have mixed levels of experience.  Some people are going to join a new world, play for 2 hours and never see that world again.  This is why Klei made so many boss fights a choice you make, because joining a server and getting assaulted by dragonfly when you're just trying to get a whirly fan and some berries before everything around you ignites isn't a good game experience.  Neither is never being able to fight a certain boss because you can't play 6 hours straight.  Klei does a lot of this on the back end too.  You won't get a hound attack unless you've been on the server long enough to warrant your own attack, and it will scale based on how long you've been on the server regardless of server age.  Similarly deerclops and bearger will weight their spawn priority based on the age of the players in the game.  If you just joined a game in winter and you're setting trees on fire to stay warm while you get your first few resources the game isn't going to sick deerclops on you.

Sandbox games aren't just adventure fight simulators.  Yes you can adventure fight your way through them, but the reason they are called sandboxes is that there are often unusual ways of playing in them, and a lot is left up to the player to decide.  Emergent gameplay is intended by the developers.  Never in DST does the game tell you "make a weapon to fight off enemies."  If you want to build a mega base, play without weapons, cave base, sea base, build automated structures to provide supplies, or whatever you can because its up to you what you do.  If you want to restrict yourself to weapons and insist on dodging every attack you can even when tanking/trading is more efficient that's your call too.  I'm not going to invade someone else setting up to "Legit fight" bee queen, but I'm also not going to hold back from killing her with my preferred method when I join a server.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergent_gameplay

short term public servers aren't representative of DST. Otherwise you might aswell delete 90% of the game.

real DST is private servers with zero chance of anybody griefing or messing it up it, and with a team of real players that intent to invest into every aspect of the game for hundreds, sometimes thousands of game days.

your points come down to "broken mechanics are fine because pubs are a mess". This is not how videogame design works.

18 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Ancient guardian was release in DS single player. I dont want to believe that they make it in that way on purpose because then the desing idea will be even worts, the only cave boss in that game being killed for free isnt a good boss desing

It frustrates me greatly that so much focus is put into these boss fights, that in my opinion.. aren’t the most enjoyable part of the game for me. In its current form- Boss fights serve one and ONLY ONE Purpose.

To give the player some item that makes their life either easier to live, or it gives them a fairly disappointing loot drop that wasn’t really worth the time or effort.

This is exactly what people say about the Crab King & Malbatross fights.. that their loot drops aren’t worthwhile.

And they may have bigger plans for that, but so far it’s yet to be seen..

For me the most fun I‘ve had with this franchise is running around in randomly generated worlds full of hazards, mobs & dangers that make just exploring my map in of itself a challenge.

Klei’s last QoL update gave me random weather seasons and weather season lengths.. instead of having Winter ALWAYS start on a predetermined day... and end on an always predictable predetermined day, my Winters can start, Summer can take place for one to two days in between & Then it’s Winter all over again....

And THIS to ME and probably anyone who can’t use mods, was very much considered part of a Quality of Life update.

Then you also have to factor in that if your world is doing it’s best impersonation of a Katy Perry Song (Your hot & then cold) that do you REALLY want to spend all that time also fighting some boss fight?

When your Worlds Time of Day Cycle & Day length are now unpredictable and random and one day could be 15% Day, 60% Dawn, and 25% Night and then your NEXT Day cycle ends up being 100% Night with no Day or Dawn at all... 

Do you REALLY want to spend that time fighting some boss? 

I’ve said it since the first day I joined the forums, this Game DS & DST are customizable to be as EASY or as HARD as YOU Personally feel like playing it at the time.

Dont like Hound waves or Bearger? turn them to less or turn them completely off.

Struggle to survive Winter? Toggle it off. 

Crazy like me and want the game to be MORE Uncompromising? There’s now an option to have Random as a Weather season and Season Length for what I like to call Unpredictable Mad Chaos (that’s literally the name of the server I host for it) 

The TL:DR- of everything I just said above, this franchise is an open world SANDBOX game, where we can play it anyway that we WANT to play it.. and the game can be as Easy or as Hard as WE want to make it..

And who cares how Easy or Hard someone else’s world is?? If your not playing in it with them it’s not effecting YOU at All.

All i care is skin drops you get that you havent got yet. Oh, you buyed a wilson wintersfeast head? too bad now the random drop gives you again wilson wintersfeast head out of pure randomness. 2,99€ well spent mate. rework unpredictable skin drops pls.

Not sure if anyone has already said this but I don't like how when you collect resourses they stock up from left to right but when used in a recipe they also take from left to right meaning if you have say 52 rocks in a stack of 40 and 12 then if you craft a fire pit you have a slot of 28 and another of 12

plus buff water balloons by giving them the ability to actually make mobs wet and the morning star probably will get a buff by the water balloon buff and maybe a way to refuel it

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

short term public servers aren't representative of DST. Otherwise you might aswell delete 90% of the game.

real DST is private servers with zero chance of anybody griefing or messing it up it, and with a team of real players that intent to invest into every aspect of the game for hundreds, sometimes thousands of game days.

your points come down to "broken mechanics are fine because pubs are a mess". This is not how videogame design works.

Oh, we're only talking about True Scotsman DST games? lol  Still doesn't matter.  My points don't come down to the strawman you hoped to burn in effigy lol.  Whether a game involves pick up and play, or dedicated team or solo experience from day 1, DST is still a sandbox game and gives way for emergent gameplay.

This is not my opinion, DST is by definition a sandbox game.  These "cheese" interactions some people like to look down on may not be purposefully crafted by the devs to use in such a way BUT the devs did specifically craft the game in such a way to allow you to find what works and do it.  Further as we have seen the devs patch out things they did deem exploitive, we can infer that what they haven't patched out they do not deem as exploitive.

On 7/20/2020 at 7:36 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

Next upon my list of questions: What you guys think the August QOL rework should emphasize?

(I primarily attempted to collate all the suggestions i encountered but that was simply too much to handle for both pollmaker and poll-answerer so I decided to generalize the choices instead!)

As always, feel free to answer the poll, and discuss in the comments!

Screw everything on the poll

An on/off button for Winona's generators

9 hours ago, douan33 said:

Screw everything on the poll

An on/off button for Winona's generators

should i have even made the poll in the first place if ppl like you are just going to invalidate my efforts with their own suggestions?

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

should i have even made the poll in the first place if ppl like you are just going to invalidate my efforts with their own suggestions?

I dunno.. I kinda think that Everyone’s suggestions should be considered for a QoL, provided that what they’re asking for isn’t too much work.. otherwise it becomes a large update instead of a QoL tweak.

I would imagine that small stuff people have been asking for forever will be covered in the QoL patch.. but the bigger stuff-

Such as an entire “Critters Overhaul” is something that is more of a large update instead of a QoL update.

But then again.. what do I know? I’m just trying to keep people from fighting so that we can come together as a community to make this game better for all parties involved-

New Players,

Casual Players,

Experinced Players,

Hardcore Players,

PC Players,

Console Players,

Klei Staff,

The goal is to make the game more enjoyable for everyone without sacrificing one particular group over another.

There are a lot of good points in this thread but for me personally the "ineffective items" could be top priority in next QoL changes. Don't see any purpose in using them other than cosmetic looks.

9 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I'm under the impression you truly think high of your polls and see them as a valuable contribution to the game.

I'm sorry but they're not very useful or meaningful. Anyone can make a forum post. You should probably relax the ego a bit.

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

I'm under the impression you truly think high of your polls and see them as a valuable contribution to the game.

I'm sorry but they're not very useful or meaningful. Anyone can make a forum post. You should probably relax the ego a bit.

I am well aware that my polls mean little to nothing in the long run in terms of this community; after all, views on my polls number much more heavily compared to actual respondents proving that the amount of representation they present is only a fraction of the community. Furthermore, they're never used as reference in actual discussions (save for one or two instances I can recall where a certain forumite misinterpreted them to their favor.) 

All I ask for is respect and consideration. It's rather rude to me for someone to say "screw everything on the poll" and raise their own suggestions while also ignoring the conveniently placed "Other" option.

I get it, my polls are useless and cover only a tip of the iceberg in terms of actual community representation; but that doesnt give anybody the license to treat them - and me by extension - rudely.

36 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

All I ask for is respect and consideration. It's rather rude to me for someone to say "screw everything on the poll" and raise their own suggestions while also ignoring the conveniently placed "Other" option.

That, and you gave your reasoning for not including character tweaks in the poll options.  I agree, character tweaks opens a can of worms that mingles more with reworks (probably a never ending job at this point) then with game wide QoL changes.

@GetNerfedOn What happened to your profile picture and whatever that "Ribbit!" is called?

On 7/20/2020 at 11:32 PM, Ogrecakes said:

You conpletely ignored my arguements.

You stated that I shouldnt try and force people to play my way, meanwhile people who are chosing to cheat are forcing ME to benefit off of their cheating.

My only two conclusions are that you are just messing with me, or sre completely ignoring what im saying, while feeding me points on a silver platter which directly counter your own arguements.

Im so sick of people making baseless assumptions, or reading one random sentence and basing a counter point off that.

If you genuinely believe that abusing unintended issues for an advantage, which is to the forced detriment of players who arent cheating, is a good thing... well, then you just dont have the games best interests at heart.

If I came into one of your games, cheated to spawn a bunch of items in, is that not to the detriment of every other player? But its all fun and games right? The game let me abuse it so I can cheat for an advantage, but its okay because despite giving everyone godmode, its my choice right, and its unfair for them to say otherwise, right?

I could easily cheat the game this way, its very easy, but anyone would be a fool to claim its okay.

I would be abusing unintended mechanics and features in a way that others could not ignore, in the same way people are doing that to me when they cheat threats out of the game.

this uh doesnt really relate to the topic that much, just curious, why did you leave a huge gap between each paragraph?

What does relate, however, is that the thing with the Ancient Guardian, is with that huge health pool, and repetitive attacks, its just a pretty boring fight, and with the help of some delicious cheese, I wont say it becomes less boring, but it will take a significantly less time. Uncomp does spice up the fight though good job with that.

20 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

You know what would be funny if they made it so Winona was the only one able to use the off switch.:lol:

Bahahahahahhahah, I'd learn how to script and stuff and make a mod that removes Winona from character pick.

My other would be adding boat alternatives, such as the ones from Shipwrecked. Although adding Shipwrecked boats would mean that it would have a player limit on them, but it would make boating a less irritating experience.

Archived