Greetings fellow merms

We are all in love with our little florp girl...except if you are a pig!

4dd2da29cd7ae2ae4dc41d79ccc5839b.thumb.jpg.f64cde917da961a39d15696979dc3585.jpg

(the Artist is called LadyAmalthea 일각수 게이머)

But there are a few things that arn't optimal yet.

Perks

Wetness

- she has a strong grip, tools don't become slippery and won't fall to the ground [implemented]

- she should be immune to sanity loss because of wet items in her inventory, she is a merm afterall [not implemented yet]

- she shouldn't freeze because of wetness, except in winter and cold spring nights, merms live in the swamp and thrive in that wet biom without a problem [not implemented yet]

Fish

- Wurt uses fish to create items, structures and to trade with the King of the Merms, the problem is the fish must be alive for all of those actions and you can't stack living fish, Wurt should be able to stack living freshwater fish, eel and freshwater fishes of the same kind to a number of 10 [not implemented yet]

- when Wurt has 100% wetness, living fish of any kind doesn't perish at all (but other food items, animals like rabbits, bees and items like the Ham Bat will rot faster) [not implemented yet]

- the King of the Merms trades 3 gold for 1 eel, this makes gold renewable for Wurt, but working with other survivors that can trade with the King of the Pigs will yield you 5 gold, so its better to trade your eels with your none merm friends [not implemented yet]

Merms

- the Craftmerms are good boys [implemented]

- the Loyal Merm Guard should attack Hounds, Giants, MacTusk, Vargs, etc on sight [not implemented yet]

- the Fishermerm should be added [not implemented yet]

Structures

- Craftsmerm House [implemented]

- Merm Flort-ification [implemented]

- Royal Tapestry [implemented]

- Fischermerm's Hut should be added, it is build with: 4 Boards, 4 Kelp Fronds, 4 Barnacles [not implemented yet]

- it spawns a Fishermerm that is absolutly passive...I mean he is a big coward, he fears frogs, mosquitos, etc. and only fishes if nothing that bothers him is around.

- he can fish the whole day, even at night, but can't catch more than 3 fish a day at best, the fish around him will spoil fast so be quick picking it up or collect the rot for marsh turf and farms

- he can catch eel aswell when his house is placed in range of cave ponds and if you have a King of the Merms in the caves you can get a lot of gold this way

- you can also place the Fishermerm's Hut near a shoal or place it on your boat and than ride the boat from shoal to shoal and let the Fishermerm catch coastal fish like Spittlefish, Mudfish, Dandy Lionfish, etc. for big fish meat

- Fishermerms try also to "catch" Rockjaws (sharks) and fail miserably *laugh*

The King of the Merms

- Wurt players let the King starve constantly and just create a new one after 4 days, so the big guy needs some tweeks

- Raise his stomach from 200 up to 500 hunger

- he will starve in 10 days (so he consumes 50 points of hunger value a day) but his perks get weaker over time, so that you want to feed him

- if he has between 250-500 hunger he gives you all his benefits (after 5 days without feeding him)

- if he has between 200-250 hunger, your boosted stats (health/hunger/sanity) get lowered from 250/250/200 to 200/220/170 (after 6 days)

- if he has between 150-200 hunger, your stat boosts vanish completly and you only have your base stats again 150/200/150 (after 7 days)

- if he has between 100-150 hunger, the Merm stats get lowered from 560 health/40 damage to 500 health/30 damage (after 8 days)

- if he has between 50-100 hunger, the Loyal Merm Guards stats get lowered from 660 health/60 damage to 200 health /20 damage (after 9 days)

- if he has under 50 hunger, he starts to loose health (and dies at 0 hunger) and he wont trade fish with you anymore (he has other problems right now) (after 10 days)

- if you attack the King of the Merms and kill him you have to wait 2 days until a new King can be crowned

- so you might want to feed that big boy

Thank you Klei for all your amazing work over the years.

I played DS and DST on PC and PS4 for more than 1500 hours and got my girlfriend into DST aswell, she loves all those Wendy and Wormwood skins *laugh*

Thanks for the read and maybe my fellow community members have some cool ideas aswell.

Thanks man, I am playing Wormwood right now and my girlfriend plays Wurt and they synergies really well, especially with a big bee farm (for bramble husk stingers and honey for healing) and all those reads in the swamp (for honey poultrice).

That beeing said, Wurt would be more enjoyable and she would be less tedious to play when she gets tweeked a bit.

-she can't stack living fish, despite needing a lot of it

-even so she doesn't loose her tools in wetness, she doesn't want to be wet ever unless she wants to freeze or get insane constantly

-the Loyal Guards don't attack threats like hounds, giants unless provoked

- the whole constant Mermking regicide

suggestions and feedback. you people still think its not that popular because oh, general discussion has more chances to get more likes and developers eventually notice it. there is and always is someone who keeps an eye on the suggestion and feedback section so please post there instead. no offense.

3 hours ago, HeilerderWelten said:

- she shouldn't freeze because of wetness, merms live in the swamp and thrive in that wet biom without a problem [not implemented yet]

Merms, spiders, krampii, prime apes, and pigs are completely immune to hunger, sanity, freezing, overheating, darkness, every part of wetness except electrical weakness, and probably more I'm forgetting. I don't think "The NPCs do it" is very good reasoning for adding a change, and at that point wetness would do basically nothing. Her not losing sanity from being wet makes sense, she would be comfortable with it after all, but being wet in the middle of winter would be cold regardless of how comfortable she is with water.

My problem with this rework is that it doesn't solve Wurt's problem of not really having a interesting direction, and design focus. This would be better, but it doesn't make her an interesting character.

It's mostly just minor perks and tweaks, and while I do like the fisher Merms, fish need to have more impact on both the Merm king rewards, or Merm follower efficiency.

Her base building gameplay would still be incredibly lacking, and her vegetarianism just as boring, she just has limited vegetarian options, and no dynamics.

Now for a little bit of relevant mod talk:

We can all look at the mod character Womp for some real cohesive design, especially when were talking about wetness.

He passively gains wetness, and while at medium-high wetness he gains more movement speed, a small sanity boost, a chance to dodge attacks, and doesn't have problems with tool grip or sanity loss when wet.

However when he is hit, he loses wetness based on damage taken, and on low wetness he moves slower, has a sanity loss, and when he is super low wetness he starts losing sanity over time.

You need to manage a new stat that has perks and downsides directly integrated into it, and its all tied into wetness, which has its own easy to understand rules and concepts.

You are completly right with that. She totally should freeze in Winter, but not in spring only because of her wetness. (that being said cold spring nights should freeze her aswell)

The problem with her is, her "strong grip perk" while being wet is all fine and dandy, but if we are totally honest, if she gets constantly insane and freezes in the only season where wetness is an issue, that perk gets never used at all.

In terms of springs danger, because of the constant rainfall, it would be easier for her in spring to survive, she could give the eyebrella to other players and she could also prevent living fish from dieing while at 100% wetness, but water protection would be still handy for her, because of the faster perish time of food and the lightning strikes that may hit her.

27 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

My problem with this rework is that it doesn't solve Wurt's problem of not really having a interesting direction, and design focus. This would be better, but it doesn't make her an interesting character.

It's mostly just minor perks and tweaks, and while I do like the fisher Merms, fish need to have more impact on both the Merm king rewards, or Merm follower efficiency.

Her base building gameplay would still be incredibly lacking, and her vegetarianism just as boring, she just has limited vegetarian options, and no dynamics.

I can see your point, fish benefits her not really as a food source, except of egg filler and while there a some good trade options for the Mermking, it isn't to interesting yet. The merms are good workers when set up, they chop trees and smash boulders even at night, but the efficiency of fish to befriend them is not big enough yet.

Giving the Mermking rarer ocean fish for more interesting and rarer trades, similiar to DS Shipwreckeds Yaarctopus coul be nice.

That being said, whitch items should the mermking give you for rare ocean fish, so that you seem all that trouble to be worth it?

Clothing items, armor, weapons, boat items, gears, special seeds for cactus, reeds, lightbulbs, bull kelp that you can plant wherever you want?

Could be useful for the vegetarian to plant cactus plants, lichen plants, after you traded rare ocean fish for it.

With each passing day I notice that more people realize the lack of "something" that Wurt has.  And this here in the forum, leaving out those who don't use it.  She's my favorite character, I really hope Klei will take a look at our mermfolk with affection.

Bring the fishermerm. :wilson_ecstatic:

5 minutes ago, Corazon said:

With each passing day I notice that more people realize the lack of "something" that Wurt has.  And this here in the forum, leaving out those who don't use it.  She's my favorite character, I really hope Klei will take a look at our mermfolk with affection.

Bring the fishermerm. :wilson_ecstatic:

I love her design aswell and I wanted a vegetarian char for a long time, so that 50% of all those crockpot dishes get a use :)

I find it interesting but being immune to wetness seems very strong to me I would say that it would lose sanity but less than other survivors and because of the cold there is already an alternative the Sunfish and this could make a combo with which the fish do not die if you are wet
And they should also put a mechanic to get gold with wurt because it is annoying to have to change characters only for gold

Thanks for taking the time and posting this! I really like your ideas. Here is my take on Wurt's situation:

I think building the merm king carpet is already a challenge. Increasing his hunger will only make it more expensive for wurt and mermfolk to have small benefits compared to the amount of resources wasted.

I think once summoned, The mermking should be fed 3 items per day, otherwise he will start starving. This is cheaper, easier and ensures people feed him.

Clever disguise should be a fixable item, so people can still interact with mermfolk if wurt players are offline. (Just like Bernie)

TOTALLY agree with @Ogrecakes about Wurt's direction. The wetness mechanism sounds both challenging and fitting. (Water ballons finally being used)

Edit: Also, GIVE MERMS NAMES!

4 hours ago, HeilerderWelten said:

the Loyal Merm Guard should attack Hounds, Giants, MacTusk, Vargs, etc on sight [not implemented yet]

I really wish they would implement this one. They should attack aggressive creatures! I once built 10 loyal merm guard houses near toadstool only to find out they don't aggro toadstool on sight. :'( I wasted a lot of resources but oh well lesson learned. 

7 minutes ago, SrJavigo said:

I find it interesting but being immune to wetness seems very strong to me I would say that it would lose sanity but less than other survivors and because of the cold there is already an alternative the Sunfish and this could make a combo with which the fish do not die if you are wet
And they should also put a mechanic to get gold with wurt because it is annoying to have to change characters only for gold

I like this Sunfish combo alot!

4 minutes ago, Brubs said:

I think once summoned, The mermking should be fed 3 items per day, otherwise he will start starving. This is cheaper, easier and ensures people feed him.

The problem with that is, if I am on the ocean to fish or collect things I might be several days not able to feed the big boy,

I honestly love your suggestions, they're well thought out and would definitely have me more interested in playing Wurt. :joyous: 

I wonder why nearby Merms don't instantly aggro on anything that attacks Wurt... do they not consider her one of them? 

2 hours ago, HeilerderWelten said:

The problem with that is, if I am on the ocean to fish or collect things I might be several days not able to feed the big boy,

You are right. This could be fixed by making certain foods (hello Durian) to allow him to starve at a lower rate. For example each Durian satisfy him for a full day (3 Durians allow him to be fed for 3 completely days before starving) or something like that.

My point is that king's hunger should be simplified and be more rewarding for both Wurt and other survivors

i saw this during the morning and have spent a bit of time thinking of this.

mostly my thoughts came down to there being a downside to wurt more than just the vegan thing. my main thought is that since wurt is just cute little baby girl who may not fully understand the problems of the world, she would have a downside related to the merms.

my main thought being she loses sanity whenever she sees a merm die, especially when she befriends them and then sends them on the suicide missions to kill an entire pig village. the sanity loss would be the highest on merm guards, since lore-wise, wurt is going to be a merm guard when she grows up, so she'd be traumatized at the sight of a merm guard dying. there might also be some massive sanity loss from seeing the king die, mostly due to her thinking she failed mermkind with the dead king and would therefore have big sanity loss during the time between kings.

i mostly thought of this as a sort of "no random crits" downside, but my thoughts feel a bit more like characters should have more downsides when they're reworked as opposed to massive upsides with minor shortcomings.

35 minutes ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

i saw this during the morning and have spent a bit of time thinking of this.

mostly my thoughts came down to there being a downside to wurt more than just the vegan thing. my main thought is that since wurt is just cute little baby girl who may not fully understand the problems of the world, she would have a downside related to the merms.

my main thought being she loses sanity whenever she sees a merm die, especially when she befriends them and then sends them on the suicide missions to kill an entire pig village. the sanity loss would be the highest on merm guards, since lore-wise, wurt is going to be a merm guard when she grows up, so she'd be traumatized at the sight of a merm guard dying. there might also be some massive sanity loss from seeing the king die, mostly due to her thinking she failed mermkind with the dead king and would therefore have big sanity loss during the time between kings.

i mostly thought of this as a sort of "no random crits" downside, but my thoughts feel a bit more like characters should have more downsides when they're reworked as opposed to massive upsides with minor shortcomings.

That would make sense for a child.

8 hours ago, HeilerderWelten said:

the problem is the fish must be alive for all of those actions and you can't stack living fish

Sadly the whole reason you cant stack living freshwater fish is because of them having individual weights for each one. And having them stack would remove said weights...
Which im not against removing, especially for the fresh water fish

2 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Sadly the whole reason you cant stack living freshwater fish is because of them having individual weights for each one. And having them stack would remove said weights...
Which im not against removing, especially for the fresh water fish

Exactly, freshwater fish and eel should be stackable again.

the problem with a vegan character is that the farms need a huge rework to be viable (fun). I do love her and her desing but let's be fair the king mechanic sucks, the fact that merm won't actually defend your base from hounds, mac tooth and any other mobs is justs o dissapointing. and i'ts so sad because I really want to have fun playing with her but I just can't 

I like Wurt the way she is.. she’s a perfect character for consoles, especially people who only ever play the game with 2-3 other people.. (a Max of 6 is just chaos waiting to happen.) 

The ONLY thing I dislike about Wurt is I personally feel she’s way too easy to play, She has all these good upsides and her only downsides are “Is a Vegetarian, Pigs Hate Her.”

... thats it? 
A Wurt with a Merm Army is an extremely powerful thing.. and it doesn’t take much of nothing to set up your own Merm Army, Without building that dumb Tapestry (Which I choose to completely Ignore) ALL your Merms are Always Hostile towards anything entering their swamp and when you have a Swamp Kingdom with no elected king... Woe Will be to any fool who dares step foot in your Swamp without a Clever Disguise.

Archived