So Are We Getting Anymore Characters?

Hello,

Klei said that they wanted to release 4 DLC characters, but then Walter came free. Warly did not count as a DLC, and he was free. So I guess my question should be more like, "Was Walter DLC?".

Don't get me wrong, I won't mind if he was the last one, but I would still like someone to confirm it or deconfirm it.

Im the only one who thinks that walter change to free because selling a black kid in the middle of riots about black rights could sound bad? XD

I think walter was that 'last character in progress' from the roadmap but that doesnt mean that klei will not release more characters

not just the bad optics of that but it also will keep people inside during a pandemic if they have something new to play with. i know there were a lot of virtual bodies dying that first couple days and if those means less real ones dying i am all in on it

44 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Im the only one who thinks that walter change to free because selling a black kid in the middle of riots about black rights could sound bad? XD

They could just change him into ... white?

Anyway, Walter was filled in range/cave theme character, so currently I think DST is lacking a lunar/sea-theme and a magic-theme character. Would be nice to see them

24 minutes ago, camelot said:

I think DST is lacking a lunar/sea-theme and a magic-theme character. Would be nice to see them

As for Magic we have 2 character that have a huge rework potential: Maxwell and Wickerbottom.

I'd explore magic on their reworks, being Wickerbottom the main exponent of "nature and AOE" magic, and then Maxwell representing "shadow magic and summons". Sort of a Light-good magic and Dark-Evil magic duality.

And I agree with everyone , I really hope we get another DLC character at some point.

I want I playable rock lobster, Charlie & the rest of the Shipwrecked/Hamlet DLC cast.

Klei said they didn’t want to add characters just for the sake of adding new characters, but I still firmly stand by what I said about that.

Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff they are all already established Klei official DS franchise game characters, they have ALL been playable before & they all have a following of fans who actually WANT to play as them.

Charlie on the other hand.. has only been playable as a Mod but she is still an already established DST character & should be unlockable Similar to how Maxwell was in Single Player DS.

And as for completely totally brand new characters.. I would love more extremely unique “Monster” type characters who are based off mobs living inside the constant.

I hope we're not getting any more characters. Atleast not until after RoT.

We have a wide variety of characters and I really don't see the point in adding more, I want RoT content, not characters. Yeah, characters are cool, they usually allow you to take on a different playstyle, but you know whats even cooler? Content available to every character, such as biomes, bosses, items, structures and what not.

I wouldn't mind them cooling it on the new characters if it means they will start pushing for just normal RoT content as well as character reworks. The pattern so far was Rework, New, Rework, New, Rework, New, etc. with the exception of the Warly & Wormwood confusion. I'd like the original cast to get their time in the spotlight.

17 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I hope we're not getting any more characters. Atleast not until after RoT.

We have a wide variety of characters and I really don't see the point in adding more, I want RoT content, not characters. Yeah, characters are cool, they usually allow you to take on a different playstyle, but you know whats even cooler? Content available to every character, such as biomes, bosses, items, structures and what not.

True. I am much more exited for updates that apply to everyone.

I mean, I definitely wouldn't say we're done with new characters (we could totally have at least 1 or 2 more) but right now it's best that the developers take that energy and use it to work on new game content, and also the characters that need some touching up.
I feel we shouldn't consider having new characters until our current cast is properly reworked, and characters like Winona and Wurt (both being NEW characters, the latter being DLC) are retuned. Also new game content is just really awesome and cool.

Personally. I want them to finish all the reworks and the updates before a new character..

And i want that new character to be Charlie. And they could do a big lore ARG kinda like what they did with maxwell
But make it fit Charlie's personality and such. And once players solve all the puzzles, they do a big reveal and add Charlie to the game.

Tho if they do that, but make charlie a paid character.. it may make things weird.. id still pay for it tho

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I was pretty sure that Winona is supposed to be that role, but who knows.

i wasnt really talking about any "role". More just as they added Maxwell as the end of all the lore they did. So they could do the same with Charlie. But it may be difficult making it work while also ending the lore

Walter was kinda a cluster [DONT SAY SWEARS] of traits, I really like him over all but he was kind of a mess of different design choices.

There are now 23 different characters across the franchise, and it seems to be getting harder and harder to come up with something original, especially so if you account for workshop characters (Seriously, Wurt is a low budget knock off of Womp, Womp is so much better).

I sincerely hope we don't get another character, atleast not for a long time, or some serious milestone in the lore is reached.

I would much rather see full focus be put on character refreshes instead. Wendy's was awesome.

12 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

i wasnt really talking about any "role". More just as they added Maxwell as the end of all the lore they did. So they could do the same with Charlie. But it may be difficult making it work while also ending the lore

Ooh yes, that'd be wonderful, I'd really LOVE to see an adventure mode in DST that'd involve Charlie (if adding an adventure mode in multiplayer is possible...), and try to beat it with my "friends"... even though I never beat the one in singleplayer DS...

2 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

Ooh yes, that'd be wonderful, I'd really LOVE to see an adventure mode in DST that'd involve Charlie (if adding an adventure mode in multiplayer is possible...), and try to beat it with my "friends"... even though I never beat the one in singleplayer DS...

Aghh!!!!!’ Single Player DS is insanely freaking hard, I mean like “Holy Bejinkies Batman This crap be hard“ Levels of Frustrating! I have been playing the Singleplayer Adventure mode A lot this month, and after playing it non-stop each day for many hours on end.. I think I can safely say Exactly what made Solo DS Adventure mode so hard.

Its not any one particular thing... It’s actually a Combination of MULTIPLE Things piled on the player all at once-

(Warning this Post will be a bit long)

Okay to start off You have to progress through 5 different worlds all randomly generated full of things that want to kill you.

Your Mission? Collect The 5 Parts that are required in building the Teleportato. Ring Thing, Crank Thing, Box Thing, Metal Potato Thing, and the Divining Rod. 

Sounds simple enough- BUT!!! To even play this Adventures Mode requires you to quest around in a Sandbox map till you find the door way to the Adventure Mode.

Now here’s where things get Interesting, You will have to Quest through several worlds each one with its own unique modifier applied onto it.

King of Winter, Archipelago, The Game is Afoot, Two Worlds, 

(that’s as far as I’ve ever got..) 

If you Die in World 4 you will be thrown back out of Adventures Mode to the Area you found Maxwells Doorway into Adventure Mode (this world outside of Adventure Mode still progresses.. you will get hungry, you will end up in the Dark, hounds will attack you, & if you happen to DIE in Sandbox mode guess what? 
You have to quest all over a Brand new map to find the door way into Adventure Mode.

Die in World 4 and you Start over at World 1, all randomly generated and all challenging.

I will use King of Winter as my example of Multiple things piled on you all at once, so You start this Chapter in Permanent Winter, And your given a Mildly Warm Thermal Stone to Start with.. not that hard and since Thermal Stones do not have a Durability in DS Singleplayer this should be easy..

EXCEPT!! The Thermal Stone goes cold much faster in DS Solo and needs to be heated up to keep you warm, this would not be that big of an issue... Except the World Gen often likes to put Vital things that you NEED to Survive With on the other side of Obstacles that prevent you from easily getting to the resources you need.

For example the Twigs you need to build more torches with may be on the other side of an Obsidian Pillar Wall.. A Pillar Wall... that can only be Raised or Lowered based on your characters Sanity Threshold.

Now Enter Problem #3 Your in a Rocky Biome.. and a Forest Biome with no food ANYWHERE to be found... and you start starving, the food you NEED is on the other side of this obsidian pillar wall and what’s worse... you had to lower your sanity to get past this wall forcing yourself Insane..

Congratulations, you now have Terrorbeaks chasing you, this wouldn’t be a problem on its own... Except, your Thermal Stones gone cold, you still need to stop long enough to eat a seed or carrot to stop from starving, your freezing to death AND Your running for your life from the Terrorbeak chasing you while trying to recover your Sanity.

MULTIPLE Problems piled on you all at Once, you can quickly throw down a campfire to stop your freezing but you still have to fight that Terrorbeak.. and your still Starving so you need to find time in between running from those 2 Terrorbeak to eat something.

Freezing, Starving, Insane.. Oh but Wait your not done! 

Your now out of resources to build campfires or Torches with and you realize that the Biome you need those things in are on the other side of ANOTHER Obsidian Bridge that requires you to stop being Insane and become Sane again.

TL:DR- You didn’t stand a chance and your going to Die.

Dont Starve TOGETHER Throws all that away and gives you Biomes you can run in a straight line to get to the resources you need.

Where are the Areas heavily guarded by Clockworks? Where are the Pig Warriors protecting the path to Pig King? Or the Obsidian Pillars requiring raises and lowered sanity? 

Why can players use a single Thermal Stone and no other winter gear and survive winter just fine?? 

I would love to see some huge changes to DST’s core foundation... preferably in an Alternate Harder game mode so that people who enjoy current DST can still enjoy their preferred method of play.

Don’t Starve Singleplayer Adventure Mode has been nothing but failure after failure for me, the odds have NEVER been in my favor for it, but Someday I WILL Rescue Wes and Unlock Maxwell.

I just hope that when or if a Adventure mode ever gets added to DST to Unlock Charlie.. that UNLIKE Wes and Maxwell I won’t have that inner feeling of total dread knowing I’ll never be good enough to Unlock her.

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

pffffffft, so basically you are my opposite x''D i am 40+ hours in dst and i still cannot survive the second day of summer(and only survive winter with serious aide from other players) but i have to mod my ds wes to 50/50/50 with a +15/50% hunger drain to have any fun

that's pretty hilarious but also kind of telling how differently these games require you to think when playing them

Archived