[Poll] On Troubled Waters Impressions

You expected a title but it was me, DIO!  

129 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Troubled Waters Beta?

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Unsatisfied
    • Very Unsatisfied
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the beta
  2. 2. What is the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the beta for you?

• The new sea mobs (Barnacles, Sharks, Spittlefish)
    • The new sanity monsters at sea.
    • The new structures (Pump, Sail Attachments).
    • The Leafy Meat changes and recipes.
    • Seaweed on Sea Stacks
    • New Crock Pot Recipes
    • Other things I forgot (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The beta adds new, interesting content.
    • The beta adds improvements to existing content.
    • The beta adds new strategies to work around the new content.
    • The beta adds awaited QoL changes.
    • I voted ""Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied"
    • I voted "No stong feelings."
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The beta adds uninteresting, shallow or difficult to deal with content
    • The beta didn't add improvements to existing content.
    • The beta didn't add new strategies to work around the new content.
    • The beta didn't add awaited QoL changes.
    • I voted ""Very Satisfied/Satisfied"
    • I voted "No stong feelings."
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

I feel this poll is a bit premature. Not only is Troubled Waters still in beta, but it hasn't even received a single patch yet. Any opinion one might express about it could be outdated by the end of the day.

Fair point, thanks a lot :). Will still keep this up and probably post a postmortem a few weeks after release

Initially, I consider this update "OK", I confess that I expected more. For me there is still a long way to go for the sea of DST to become close to ideal and fun. First, I believe there are few relevant objectives related to the ocean, i don't see almost anything that captivates me to exploit it other than collecting salt and completing the objectives of the new islands. 

What I expect from the next updates to the ocean:
- A more vivid ocean; With species of algae, corals; (Fewer stones)
- Unique ocean events; 
- Differentiated climate in the ocean;
- Changes in boats; 
- New islands; 
- Oceanic structures; (Like buoy, walls, chests....) 

"Related to boats, I really like the concept: Teamwork, base on the boat, take care of the deck... But like many people, I don't particularly like it. They're horribly slow, boring to control and with a tedious fighting mechanic. "  

What I expect from the next updates to the base game:
- Introduction new climate elements; (Similar to Uncompromising Mode mod) 
- Introduction new mechanics; 
- Introduction new biomes; 

I’m on Xbox console so we don’t yet have the troubled waters stuff, however from watching gameplay and screenshots of it, I absolutely LOVE the new Boat Mast Lantern & Lightning Rod. 

As well as how cool Wavey Jones & TerrorClaw sound, new Insanity mobs sound like something I’ll very much enjoy.

I just hope Klei will someday allow me to access the Lamps Inventory and insert something changing its light color (similar to how painting a light with dye in Ark Survival lets you change colors of the light)

I want to simply be able to make different colored boat lanterns. (And the worst part..? PC will probably have a mod for this within a week... -sigh- :()

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m on Xbox console so we don’t yet have the troubled waters stuff, however from watching gameplay and screenshots of it, I absolutely LOVE the new Boat Mast Lantern & Lightning Rod. 

As well as how cool Wavey Jones & TerrorClaw sound, new Insanity mobs sound like something I’ll very much enjoy.

I just hope Klei will someday allow me to access the Lamps Inventory and insert something changing its light color (similar to how painting a light with dye in Ark Survival lets you change colors of the light)

I want to simply be able to make different colored boat lanterns. (And the worst part..? PC will probably have a mod for this within a week... -sigh- :()

I feel ya. If they added something like this it would probably like the mushroom lights where you could put different color spores to change the color. But yea it would be a nice for some small decorative purposes. Pc does have everything though. It would be nice if you could add mods via the in game files (I know with this 1 app on xbox called file downloader that lets you put files in the game while being able to use stuff from the web. Only know it works because of minecraft) but every game works differently. I would just really hope in the future we could get something like health markers for enemies or something simple like grid placement

8 hours ago, zVince said:

"Related to boats, I really like the concept: Teamwork, base on the boat, take care of the deck... But like many people, I don't particularly like it. They're horribly slow, boring to control and with a tedious fighting mechanic. "  

My biggest issue with the boats is the controls for boat related actions. If a boat leak occurs near structures, such as chests, you can't quickly patch it. You have to play a Hidden Objects game searching for the pixel of the spewing water that it considers spewing water instead of a different chest. I've also had things hiding behind the sail that I can't even see take priority over the sail for some reason, causing me to suicidally run over to check out what's in the fridge instead of lowering the sail.

But I love the boat itself. It being slow is the point, it's supposed to be a more realistic and cooperative approach to sailing. I think if there was more in the ocean instead of just a bunch of rocks you have to dodge until you get to one of the two things that are in the ocean a lot more people would have fun on the boats. Or maybe everyone is just making a bare minimum boat that's just a wheel, sail, and anchor so that's why they're bored.

10 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Or maybe everyone is just making a bare minimum boat that's just a wheel, sail, and anchor so that's why they're bored.

Is what i think when they said that are so slow because with malbatross sail the boat gets a decent speed.

Malbatross useless drop haha nope

Leafy Meat + Honey + 2 Twigs = +50 Sanity simply breaks tons of game balance...

On 7/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, zVince said:

Initially, I consider this update "OK", I confess that I expected more. For me there is still a long way to go for the sea of DST to become close to ideal and fun. First, I believe there are few relevant objectives related to the ocean, i don't see almost anything that captivates me to exploit it other than collecting salt and completing the objectives of the new islands. 

What I expect from the next updates to the ocean:
- A more vivid ocean; With species of algae, corals; (Fewer stones)
- Unique ocean events; 
- Differentiated climate in the ocean;
- Changes in boats; 
- New islands; 
- Oceanic structures; (Like buoy, walls, chests....) 

What I expect from the next updates to the base game:
- Introduction new climate elements; (Similar to Uncompromising Mode mod) 
- Introduction new mechanics; 
- Introduction new biomes; 

So you pretty much want that SW for DST mod?

2 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Leafy Meat + Honey + 2 Twigs = +50 Sanity simply breaks tons of game balance...

So you pretty much want that SW for DST mod?

No. I want a different experience on DST, since the last major update was in New Reign. Something that has changes in the base game, and improvements related to the sea, since it has a lot of potential. 

If I had to say something I wish they'd add is the ability to uproot bull kelp from the ocean I hate that once I place the bull kelp I get from lunar it's locked in forever this isn't a issue on pubs but when playing on long term servers I do like to relocate my base every so many years

3 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

If I had to say something I wish they'd add is the ability to uproot bull kelp from the ocean I hate that once I place the bull kelp I get from lunar it's locked in forever this isn't a issue on pubs but when playing on long term servers I do like to relocate my base every so many years

Especially since it seems like the perfect sort of utility to add to the Strident Trident.

I know return of them in beta, yeah some people like sailing and there is moon island but I feel like that isn't enough. There is no purpose in go to the sea. Return of them hasn't anything to offer. There isn't any appeling thing. In the main land there is things I must and things that can facilitate my doing If I do. Second thing I say, optional yes but you want to do it beacause if you do it so much things beacame easy and you can focus on other things. In return of them there isn't anything like that. Stone fruits aren't bad, glass cutter is alternate to dark sword, moon glass axe is faster than normal axe but I think these aren't enough. I think klei needs to add appeling things and I say again yes I know this content is beta I hope end all of this they do a grat job. 

48 minutes ago, Toripuru said:

I know return of them in beta, yeah some people like sailing and there is moon island but I feel like that isn't enough. There is no purpose in go to the sea. Return of them hasn't anything to offer. There isn't any appeling thing. In the main land there is things I must and things that can facilitate my doing If I do. Second thing I say, optional yes but you want to do it beacause if you do it so much things beacame easy and you can focus on other things. In return of them there isn't anything like that. Stone fruits aren't bad, glass cutter is alternate to dark sword, moon glass axe is faster than normal axe but I think these aren't enough. I think klei needs to add appeling things and I say again yes I know this content is beta I hope end all of this they do a grat job. 

I play mostly solo so having the salt box, moon glass axe to fight toadstool and glass cutter to fight shadow bosses help me a lot so, atleast for me is worth the travel.

Stone fruit arent bad, are op. 1 use of weather pain and you have rock and food for days.

Kelp is a good found of veggie filler

But im with you that it needs something more to be a must but is hard when the game was already "balanced and finished"

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Kelp is a good found of veggie filler

Talk about faint praise.

Kelp is an amazing food in it's own right. Stacks up to 40, lasts 10 days raw and is ideal for tanking your sanity in the Lunar Island.

It also dries in a quarter of a day, which makes it last as long as jerky and give 10 sanity a pop, which makes it great for maintaining your sanity in the ruins.

I honestly prefer it to stone fruit, which is cumbersome to eat and gives hunger, but no sanity. (Though it's better in the crock pot.)

On 7/10/2020 at 9:48 PM, QuartzBeam said:

Especially since it seems like the perfect sort of utility to add to the Strident Trident.

Yea, that was exactly my thought when I was thinking about improving the Trident

Archived