What weapons to DST players use?

What weapons do players use?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What Melee weapons in Don't Starve have you used more than a few times?

• Dark Sword
    • Glass Cutter
    • Strident Trident
    • Thulicite Club
    • Ham Bat
    • Tentacle Spike
    • Morning Star
    • Bat Bat
    • Spear
    • Tail o' Three Cats
  2. 2. What Ranged weapons in Don't Starve have you used more than a few times?

• Boomerang
    • Blow Dart
    • Sleep Dart
    • Fire Dart
    • Electric Dart
    • Ice Staff
    • Fire Staff
    • Weather Pain

So I decided to make this poll just to see what weapons players actually use in Dont Starve Together..
In this poll, I'm not just asking if you have used the weapon before. Im asking if you use the weapon on a somewhat regular basis, even if its just for 1 niche advantage during a boss.
(Note I did not add any character specific weapons due to the fact they are character specific, and not everyone can use them in every situation)

Maybe the results of this poll can show which weapons aren't used very often. and maybe you can post in the comments why it is you don't use said weapons.
Are they too expensive? Do they not do enough damage? A mix of both?

Let me know!

fire darts are anoying to use (same with fire staffs) but can deal a good damage. Recipe with reeds=not worth the time

blow darts are op but reeds...

sleep darts are cool for beginners but reeds...

electric darts could be a good choose to fight beequeen, crabking or toadstool with weatness but i never waste the time to do it

batbat is great, good healing meanwhile you keep fighting but with that low damage i dont see the point of using a slot to bring it when bundle wraps exists. Without it could be use like a "stack of potions" because is a healing that never rots

thulecite club is better since the patch but is so frustrating to see how useless are the tentacles. i craft it only as speed item in early and for toadstool or fw since they move less

glass cutter is actually good but i prefer to fill my slots with glass axes everytime i go to the island

at the end i use the most dark swords and ham bats because are cheaper than anything else. If i kill a lot of tentapillars to in the caves i waste them, free weapon!

pd. what was the idea behind Tail o' Three Cats? i dont get it

Even if i use Dark sword the most, i also voted for Thulecite club. Honestly i don't care about the tentacles spawn but it's new duration makes it really satisfying to use. Damage it's not bad plus the forge skin looks AWESOME.

56 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

pd. what was the idea behind Tail o' Three Cats? i dont get it

Tail o' Three Cats has a chance to stun or scare an enemy. It's great for dealing with slurtles if they were to hide in their shells, or tentacles (giant ones included). Can also occasionally help with hounds swarming you.

1 hour ago, Charesque said:

Tail o' Three Cats has a chance to stun or scare an enemy. It's great for dealing with slurtles if they were to hide in their shells, or tentacles (giant ones included). Can also occasionally help with hounds swarming you.

I can see many different ideas for its usage but never actually tried any of it because of this item hilarious material cost. The only tails I'm getting in game is from deconstructing Cat Cap that I get from Klaus drop with green staff. Can't force myself to kill catcoons especially because they are so rare and nonrenewable. 

i can't vote because aside from using a sleep dart one time on a beefalo to see what it did i don't use ranged weapons at all x''D

maybe you would get better answers if you also had options for noncombative players and players who utilize alternative methods for monster killing?

9 minutes ago, Prajdo said:

I can see many different ideas for its usage but never actually tried any of it because of this item hilarious material cost. The only tails I'm getting in game is from deconstructing Cat Cap that I get from Klaus drop with green staff. Can't force myself to kill catcoons especially because they are so rare and nonrenewable. 

as i know in ds they are not renewable but in dst they are

For mobs i use the hambat a lot, followed by spear probably, but for bosses i use mainly darkswords (and hambats too).

I generally end up using glass cutters a few times only, but i like them. And, as somebody said up there, thulecite club's new duration + forge skin is too much fun. 

As for ranged weapons, surprisingly enough I duplicated Toadstool skins with napsacks, so i ended up having a million canary feathers. I crafted a ton of electric darts and i had some fun with mighty Wolfgang. 

I like using ice staves for catching aggro and for freezing mactusk while i kill the hounds. The fire staff I've used maybe once when i needed to exterminate a varg on a lategame world without getting mobbed by a dozen hounds. Darts would have been faster but the ingredients for the fire staff are alot more convenient to get when it is day ~150. 

Hambat could probably use a recipe nerf. The recipe is so cheap for an "infinite" durability weapon that does 59.5 damage. It's obvious why its the go to weapon for most people. Whether they are doing a speedrun world or actually just trying to survive.

I've never used the darts in DST. They only seem viable in a reed trap world with a Wickerbottom. Blow darts are obviously ridiculously strong if you could get that set up. Theres just too many variables though that I've never bothered. You need a feather hat, which uses crow and redbird feathers and tentacle spots. Then you need to be in Winter and kill Snowbirds with a Boomerang. Then you have to clear the reed trap, harvest the reed trap. Farm hounds teeth in the desert/mactusk....

Just way too much work when you could just hammer touchstones and kill pigs/beefalo to get an infinite durability melee weapon that deals ridiculous damage.

Outside of boss fights I usually don't have a weapon. If I need one i'll craft a spear then throw it away immediately after use. If i'm expecting non-boss combat i'll grab a tentacle spike.

For boss fights it is either hambats or dark swords.

I have used boomerangs quite a bit since the introduction of cookie cutters. They are good for pushing the CCs away from the salt stacks so you can mine without being engaged.

I like to use spears.. spears have lots of cool skins, it is unfortunate that spears are not actually that great for Combat.

So I like beating my enemies in the face with a Hockey Stick & pretending I’m Casey Jones...?

sue me.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

spears have lots of cool skins

True, true... I fool myself with the Refined Spear skin and think that it would improve my combat just because it looks sharper, but in reality, it doesn't help.

What I actually use the most is a tentacle spike for general combat and a ham bat for big fights plus smacking things around after the big fight, or if I can't get to the swamp for some reason. And if I just need to make something die and my inventory is crammed with stuff that isn't weapons, I'll craft a basic axe and keep hitting it until it's dead, because they're dirt-cheap and do OK damage if you're not fighting a boss. I also like Morning Stars and Bat Bats, but mostly for the aesthetic/the concept, and I use staves quite a bit but as tools as much as weapons. I use boomerangs fairly often but mostly on birds, and spears are a stepping stone to better weapons.

Blowdarts are useful if you can get them, but tedious to craft in enough quantity for a boss fight. Electric darts are pretty good within their niche but outclassed by regular blowdarts if you have Volt Goat Chaud-Froid available, although they don't have seasonal feather availability to deal with. The only time I've used sleep darts was to bother my friends when PVP was enabled, and my only use for fire darts has been setting spider nests ablaze from a distance in Adventure Mode when I didn't have a shadow manipulator available for my preferred instrument of arson-by-remote.

I like the concept of the Weather Pain, although more because it's funny than because it's especially useful, but I don't actually use it that much because I have to go out of my way to get the ingredients and it's not practical enough to make the effort except maybe if I'm planning to fight the Toadstool or something. Similarly, having to go to a special crafting station at the ends of the earth makes me favour the Dark Sword over the Thulecite Club or Glass Cutter if I need more DPS than a ham bat, especially since if Wormwood's around they're cheaper than ever.

5 hours ago, E1234 said:

Hambat could probably use a recipe nerf. The recipe is so cheap for an "infinite" durability weapon that does 59.5 damage. It's obvious why its the go to weapon for most people. Whether they are doing a speedrun world or actually just trying to survive.

It already got a nerf in Reign of Giants when it started losing damage as it spoiled, don't do it dirty like that just because bundling wraps brought back some of its former glory. Hambats got me through my first successful Adventure Mode run, man.

22 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

No Battle Spear?

On 6/24/2020 at 10:26 AM, DarkPulse91 said:

(Note I did not add any character specific weapons due to the fact they are character specific, and not everyone can use them in every situation)

Archived